• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Question for NFs.

meshou

MBTI Type
INXP
I'll have a go, but I'm not a proper NF:

cooperative, abstract, involved, child-like, reforming.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I also dislike isolated words...

Seeking harmony and connection in life. (oops! that's 6... whatever... :p)

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
Yeah, besides not knowing how to count, these NFs sound downright subservient.
Trying to get NFs riled already eh:steam:? I answered this thread before I saw there has already been some hubbub regarding our UnidentifiedForumOccupant. We like aliens here...yes we are that accepting (but not subservient tsk tsk)!

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
quixotic, curious, conflicted, passionate, empathatic

I must say that your answer is unacceptable because passionate, empathetic and quixotic all stem from the same root. NF primacy of feeling over thought.

so you're 2 for 5.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Compassion needs feeling for legitimation which almost by defintion implies a passion of some sort.
Very often it is not possible to express compassion if too deeply invested. It takes a certain personal distance to successfully carry out compassion. If your empathy is so complete that you feel the entire pain of another, you become as disabled as them. Compassion often requires the ability to put such impulses at arms length, at least for a time. IMO passion is blinding, narrowing, but intensifying; while compassion is enlightening and broadening of perspective. Passion is investment in personal desire or belief, compassion is investment in something beyond self, requiring a certain separation from self.

Sorry I can't count.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I must say that your answer is unacceptable because passionate, empathetic and quixotic all stem from the same root. NF primacy of feeling over thought.

so you're 2 for 5.

I'm going to try again when I'm not so sleepy. 2 out of 5 is unacceptable especially when I'm talking about my own kind. :)

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?

so you're 2 for 5.

I don't think that quixotic should be considered to stem from the same root as passionate and empathetic, as quixotic is about ideas and vision.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think that quixotic should be considered to stem from the same root as passionate and empathetic, as quixotic is about ideas and vision.

Quixotic by definition implies romantic. You dont see too many thorough-going thinkers being hopeless romantics do you?

Like how many INTPs... ENTJs... ISTPs... or ESTJs that you know would use Quixotic as one of the five words they would describe themselves or their type in?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Quixotic by definition implies romantic. You dont see too many thorough-going thinkers being hopeless romantics do you?

Like how many INTPs... ENTJs... ISTPs... or ESTJs that you know would use Quixotic as one of the five words they would describe themselves or their type in?

So quixotic is a great word for NFs, right?

The word means impractically idealistic, and for the record, I wouldn't describe myself as such, as I think that I'm a pretty realistic idealist. That said, since I spend half of my life scrutinizing people's answers to questions: If someone put "idealistic" and "quixotic" on the same list, then it would make sense to strike one off. That "quixotic" and "empathetic" are on the same list shouldn't be a problem because they don't mean the same thing. MAYBE "passionate" and "empathetic" shouldn't be on the same list (though I would disagree with that too; Toonia responded well with the reason).

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So quixotic is a great word for NFs, right?

The word means impractically idealistic, and for the record, I wouldn't describe myself as such, as I think that I'm a pretty realistic idealist. That said, since I spend half of my life scrutinizing people's answers to questions: If someone put "idealistic" and "quixotic" on the same list, then it would make sense to strike one off. That "quixotic" and "empathetic" are on the same list shouldn't be a problem because they don't mean the same thing. MAYBE "passionate" and "empathetic" shouldn't be on the same list (though I would disagree with that too; Toonia responded well with the reason).

All of these words apply and should be stated in 1 term. Quixotic which then leads to empathetic, passionate ..idealistic etc....

The advantage of using 5 isolated words is that they tell us more about an entity... You can say 1 isolated word and invoke 5-20 more ideas... and you can say 5 connected words and invoke less ideas than you otherwise would with 1...

I do not see Toonia's argument at all I've read it several times and still do not see cogency in it..... or yours for that matter.... Neither of you did anything about my claim that quixotic... passionate..compassionate... etc... all of this stemms from NFs having quality F skills. Idealism as I understand for this word to mean in this context, having an idealistic mindset, seeing the best in others and trying to encourage positive change. This is a property of F/NF... Being a great visionary does not get you this quality... Think about the ENTP and INTJ(primary N).... you would not call them idealistic would you? And again I do not think that you can be empathetic unless you're passionate first.. you dont see too many dispassionate ISTPs develop great empathy, you wouldnt I bet.

I think we better stop here and make sure that we associate the same ideas with the words that we use, we are not too far off from getting into a fight over pesky, stupid little words that shed no light on what transcends them.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Dude, quixotic is at least as much intuition as it is feeling.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You asked for words that describe NFs.

The point is that Quixotic has more to do with Feeling than Intuitions and we know that NTs are less quixotic than NFs. Hence highly iNtuitive types like INTJ and ENTP are not quixotic, yet I do agree that it has something to do with iNtuition, so NTs are more so than STs. Yet again its manifest to me that Feeling is the salient factor.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Again with the ranking!

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
The point is that Quixotic has more to do with Feeling than Intuitions and we know that NTs are less quixotic than NFs. Hence highly iNtuitive types like INTJ and ENTP are not quixotic, yet I do agree that it has something to do with iNtuition, so NTs are more so than STs. Yet again its manifest to me that Feeling is the salient factor.

If we are talking about any given NF, we've got two things to work with: Feeling and Intuition. We can't specifically talk about Ni or Fi or Ne or Fe, because that would not apply to any given NF. We can't talk about introversion, extraversion, judgment, or perception. So I think either you need to come up with five unique words, or you need to stop being so irritatingly picky.