• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs, how much do you feel similars with ESFPs?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reading the descriptions and watching them IRL, they seem nothing alike.

But, well, there's that Fi, and that FP that they have in common.

Do you find common points between you and ESFPs? How are your relationships with them?

Do you feel more similars with INTJs than with ESFPs.

Between INTJ, ESFP, ENFJ, ISFJ, ENTP and ISTP, what type do you feel more similar with? How?

Any similarities I share with ESFPs definitely arise from the Fi perspective. This is most evident when we're judging people or sorting things into black and white categories (good/bad, right/wrong, fun/lame, etc.) The approach is different and I'm slower to verbalize or act on a judgment than they are but it's always amused me how easily my ESFP friends and I go into bitch mode when we're together. There's a tacit understanding that we're free to judge without censure around each other.

I generally have very good relations with ESFPs. Better, I would say, than with ENFPs, with whom I share Ne-Si, which does surprise me a little.

On a very shallow behavioral level, I'd probably resemble ISFJ the most among the types you've listed, but there aren't actually that many underlying similarities. I don't see myself as similar to any of the other types you listed.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I begin friendships with ESFPs more quickly than with any other type, but we're usually not close. My ESFP friendships have probably been the least healthy, honestly. When I was younger and more insecure, I was often drawn to them just because they were drawn to me. But we do have a lot in common: extremely easygoing until a nerve is hit, adventurous, mostly friendly with an abrasive streak, can be very nurturing, etc. There's the Fi + Te, too, and our occasional lapses in normal social behavior look pretty similar, if that makes any sense.

ESFPs seem to be a diverse group, though, and some I absolutely can't stand / have no common ground with whatsoever.

I only know two INTJs, so it's hard to say. I think highly of them for the most part and vice versa, but I've found them to be (usually unintentionally) condescending and, at times, overly charismatic. Hard to connect with; it seems that the traits we most value in each other are the ones we tend to be the most quiet about. If we both drew out these more hidden aspects of our personalities (mostly Fi-related stuff, probably), I think we'd be fine -- but when it comes to surface interactions, there's not much chemistry.

So, I relate more to INTJs, though I relate more easily to ESFPs.

When it comes to the way we carry ourselves in non-intimate social situations, I feel very similar to ISTPs. Obviously ENFJs when it comes to values; academic interests: ENTPs. I feel strong similarities with ISFJs and INTJs too, but I can't put my finger on them. I definitely have the most in common with ENFJs overall. Same temperament, same F-N-S-T sequence.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get along with ESFP's for the most part on a shallow level. I enjoy the exchanges, and communication flows well. However with esfp's in my life I think whats lacking is a strong respect towards them.

Out of the types you listed I feel I have more in common with ENFJ's.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
pretty much what everyone else said, I have no problem getting along with them well but it's never that deep if a relationship. like senza talked about, I think one of the easiest ways for FPs to find common ground is through shit talking. I used to have a lot of ESFP coworkers who thought I was really shy at first but then we started complaining to each other about work and bonded over it and got closer.

I dated one too, we both liked having fun and seeing new places and relaxing together, but didn't really have similar interests. basically I was nerdier.

intjs are strange creatures to me, I can see the common fi but I think they express it I'm a very different way than I do, and their behavior is strange to me. I guess I at least understand ESFP motivations better.

out of those types.. I'm not sure. I wanna say istp but that's probably biased due to being around him all the time. I'd say estp entp and istp over intj isfj and enfj.

jinks

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
ESFPs are fun-loving and of all the types I know have always struck me as most likely to be really happy with their own lives -- but I agree, unless they are unusually intellectual, my relationship with them usually doesn't go that deep. Bitching, exchanging love-life woes, enjoying good food, having the occasional dance night. Hanging out with them is fun, reminds me to connect with the Se world a bit more. Being around them is very warm and non-judgmental, which is lovely. But I've yet to feel like any of them "get" me.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In socionics the Fi-Ne type (EII) and Se-Fi type (SEE), which would be INFP and ESFP in MBTI, have the same thinking style so can come through very similar. INFPs in contrast to ESFPs don't often resort to physical means to make an impression. They usually rely on intellectual discussions and making quick witty associations to impress others.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm probably something between the INTJ & ESFP or like an ENFJ turned inside out. My demeanor gets compared to all the other INxx types in my family, but my ESFP sister and I are considered night and day. When it comes to thinking, I spot the Fi easy in ESFPs and we probably bond over that similar worldview. We both tend to be unstructured and spontaneous and all that good Pe stuff. I think preferring Pe & Fi probably makes me more like ESFPs psychologically than an INTJ or ENFJ.

I get along well with most ESFPs. We're not really alike, but often compatible as friends (provided there are other commonalities of course). They get me out of my head to DO stuff, and I'm often an emotional support for them (which is a role I play with most friends).

Of the above, I am least like ISFJ or ISTP. Although being a quiet, sensitive Feeler, I can see why people might confuse ISFJs & INFPs at times, from a distance anyway. My mom is an ISFJ and we don't share much in our personality or thinking beyond being shy.

There's some similarity with ENTP just over Ne, but we're really not alike either. My dad is ENTP and at most I've heard we sometimes think the same (but with massively different demeanors), and it's always referring to a Ne style of thinking, as far as I can tell.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Do you find common points between you and ESFPs? How are your relationships with them?
Their flexibility of mind, silly sense of humour and basic kindness clicks well with me. I enjoy their vivacity and enthusiasm for new and interesting things - I feel it mimics my internalised version of that. Their minds are so unfettered and their judgement and embarrassment levels so low, that I feel very much at ease around them.

I had a lot of ESFP close friends growing up and a few outer friends as an adult. I haven't been close to one as an adult, so some of the issues I had with them may have been more of a case of my grumpy teenager mindset at the time. I had a couple of ESFPs friends in high school that started to drive me a little mad at times. Their caprice, shallowness of mind and inability to be serious for 5 minutes caused problems, only made worse by their dismissal of things I said as intellectual waffle. However, the grown up ESFPs I known tend to be less manic, shallow and can listen a lot better. My ESFP cousin impresses me with her everyday integrity and ability to balance the silly with the serious. And I think of all the people I know, I admire her parenting methods the most (she has a 7 and 9 year old).

Hard to say; they access different parts of me. INTJs really click with me intellectually but ESFPs click more with my spirit. In many ways relationships with both types are very limited in depth. With INTJs I can't talk too much about feelings or anything I'm earnest/passionate about. With ESFPs I can't talk about cerebral musings or complex theories. The things is, both aspects are important to me.

EDIT: I just read your post, Mia, and see you've said a similar sort of thing :)

Between INTJ, ESFP, ENFJ, ISFJ, ENTP and ISTP, what type do you feel more similar with? How?
Again hard to say. I guess I would go with ENTP. The Ne factor with ENTPs means you have these wonderful, free-flowing, fun and intellectual conversations which unlock parts of my brain often shut out by most conversations. They are a lot more outgoing and have a slightly harder edge but in fundamentals they feel similar.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reading the descriptions and watching them IRL, they seem nothing alike.

But, well, there's that Fi, and that FP that they have in common.

I've been wondering the same thing. The only similarity I seem to have with them is value-based judgements, but those tend to go in completely different directions.

Yes, but I tend to feel close to INxx types in general than to other types.

I want to say INTJ or ENTP, but there are thorough distinctions. ENTPs tend to have an easy-going sense of humour and nature in general, so we get along quite well, but they can be quite loud and all over the place. INTJs tend to go on the same frequencies as me, but they have different goals in mind.

RosieJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Apparently we 'use similar functions but in completely different realms'. I think that sums it up pretty well. I definitely notice the similarities of our Fi and Te but we use these in completely different areas due to their Se and my Ne we rarely come across each other IRL.

Here's the things I relate to that they do:

- Their sometimes bluntness of Te - when something doesn't agree with Fi, they can become quite blunt and a bit aggressive. Te is lower down for me but I definitely relate to this when I feel one of my values (from Fi) has been crossed.

- With FP, they sometimes do things randomly and spontaneously just because they feel like it which I do too occasionally but I'm less spontaneous

- our Fi means we often sort things the same way into black and white categories. If we both think what someone did was wrong, we will show this via Te

- we are both quite creative but their creativity comes from Se, an awareness of their physical surroundings, so they are often more into the contextual side of art whereas with Ne, I'm more into the meaning behind the art

- we both don't sweat the small stuff - we know what's importortant to us

- I think we both like emotional intensity in relationships

- we both like to talk about people but with S, they focus more on what people do and say whereas with N, I focus on why they did or said something

- we both value authenticity and hate fake displays of emotion

I think that's pretty much it.

I feel much more similar with N types - definitely more similar with INTJs for example than ESFPs as with N, we are just generally on the same wavelength.

RosieJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
ISTPs are confusing - it's like we are similar on the outside with the I and the P but maybe on the inside we are really different. They're a puzzle to me so I'd say I feel most similar to ENFJs, then INTJs, then ENTPs, then ISFJs, then ESFPs then ISTPs maybe or maybe the last two the other way around

RosieJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
ENTPs and I are said to have a 'similar culture but with different interests and talents'. That is so true. With Ne, we both have the same sense of thee world - like we see it through the same eyes and so communication is often fairly easy as we just naturally understand where the other is coming from. However due to ExTx and IxFx we have completely different focus in these worlds - we have different interests and talents.