• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] do you like being stoned, NF ?

redacted

i think it's how all us infj's get our fix, no? ;)

Definitely me.

And drugs :doh:

No but seriously, drugs aren't necessarily bad to try, but they're definitely bad to use often. I know from experience. I even know a few stoners who exercise, do well in school, etc. and I still think it's holding them back.

The opportunity cost of doing a drug is not being able to be sober and process emotions while sober. If you do drugs enough, you start to build coping mechanisms for being on that drug, so that when you aren't on it, the coping mechanisms are slightly misaligned. Which just makes you want to do the drug more.

So even if you can handle doing a drug and can function well, you're NOT building sober coping strategies while you're on it. Which basically means you're putting off maturity for later.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
It's always interesting to see a balanced view in threads.

I'll add that I didn't compare drugs and alcohol to nicotine and caffeine. I actually was lumping them together in the same category. Yes. They are ALL mood altering chemicals. So's chocolate. All on the spectrum.

Should you question this, think about how you feel if you don't have them when you are accustomed to them. Uncomfortable, right? And therein lies the addictive/habit forming quality of the mood-altering substances. We start using them to feel good and end up using them because we don't feel good unless we have them. With continued use they eventually turn on us.

Where do we cross that individual line? No one can say. It's like a frog in a pot on a stove. The heat is turned up so gradually. We keep saying, "So far, so good." And then one day, surprise! How did I get into this mess?

We all like to believe that intelligence, education and common sense are the factors which will prevent us from falling into problematic use. But that's a fallacy. A comforting one nonetheless.

Our body's function is changed by the chemical and no amount of smarts can override that fact. Many famous addicts have been brilliant and productive. So functionality is no guarantee of safety either.

Are we still ourselves when we are using? That one is still up for debate. It's no surprise that it is a confusing question. I have met murderers, rapists, child abusers who no longer use whom I would never believe could have done some of the things they have done. They say they can't believe it was really them either.

The sad truth is that addiction is labled addiction because it has a definable process. It's progressive. And regardless of the substance will eventually lead to multiple problems in many life areas.

The level of the severity of the substance will usually dictate the level of degree of the problems. It would be good to be able to predict what is safe use and what is not but it varies so much from individual to individual that it is very difficult to know what safe use is.

We'd like to blame it on someone being dumb because that makes the rest of us who use feel safer. But addiction is no respecter of intelligence, education, class, status, sex, age, motivation. Any more than any other illness is.

Do a habit-forming substance long enough and it is habit-forming. The weird thing is that because it is mood-altering it lulls us into thinking we are okay. Others can see it; we can't. That's why we started using it in the first place; we feel better. But eventually we slip from using to feel good to using to just feel normal. Eekers.

It's a hard thing to talk about without raising uncomfortable feelings, itself.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends. I kinda shut down though when I smoke, or just giggle. It makes me passive.
Alcohol on the other hand....never completely smashed, just pleasantly tiddly is good.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
of course. pot amplifies all your sensory perceptions and jacks up your meso-limbic pathway so you feel more engaged and satisfied with whatever you are doing. cleaning your apartment has never been so much fun!

but listen to music, write out a stoned rap, draw, you get more sensory information than you normally do (including proprioceptive), especially for an Ni whose head is in the clouds. i actually prefer being alone or doing something totally social, as conversation isn't really as exciting bc it gets to be so scattered and anyone who holds the mic too long makes you forget what you were going to say. it absolutely prevents you from multi-tasking (ie listening and formulating speech simultaneously), and the attention and care and amplified sensory perceptions you get can unlock creativity in a great great way. especially for an Ni with inferior Se!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I don't really enjoy being stoned.
It makes me really sleepy. I feel LESS aware.
Plus I have asthma. Smoking isn't fun.
I hate needing my inhaler.. I'm such a geek. :rolli:

Stimulants on the other hand.. I enjoy quite a LOT.
Illicit ones I steer clear of nowadays.
They were never a major issue, but I saw the potential there, and slammed the door on that possibility post haste.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
No, I don't really enjoy being stoned.
It makes me really sleepy. I feel LESS aware.
Plus I have asthma. Smoking isn't fun.
I hate needing my inhaler.. I'm such a geek. :rolli:

Stimulants on the other hand.. I enjoy quite a LOT.
Illicit ones I steer clear of nowadays.
They were never a major issue, but I saw the potential there, and slammed the door on that possibility post haste.

yup, despite the wierd cat avatar I'd have to follow you there.
Weed doesn't make me all giddy. It turns me awfully quiet.
I'm all bout stimulants!

I heart the occasional liter of vodka. Yes lex, you can have the gin.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Weed's cool every now and then. But I definitely get quieter, myself.

Alcohol...I'm all over the freakin place when I'm drunk. It's that ENFP craziness * 1000. But I'm only a fan of a select number of drinks.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm not quieter actually...i might even be more unfiltered.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I got high on pain killers for a broken/smashed up foot. I was very outgoing and "fun" but my goodness I hated not being in control. I actually stopped taking them LONG before I was supposed to stop. Ew. My INFJ husband liked how it felt when he was on something for his back since he is always uptight.

I think I'm already mostly high, no benefit to being "more" high.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
i'm not quieter actually...i might even be more unfiltered.

Oh, I'll still say everything and anything that's on my mind (nonsense or not), but less frequently. It's like "I can't be bothered socializing when I'm enjoying this shiz".

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a straight edge, I'm entirely against doing anything mind altering. I usually avoid the people that do these things too, but it's tolerable if they don't offer me any and they aren't in a different state of mind while around me.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
i think Americans (of which country they belong to has the most depression rate in the world) in general just want to escape "reality" so they try as much as possible all the mind altering techniques (including getting stoned and wasted)... blehhhhh.... sorry that life with invisibly controlled freedom is just too hard to take for you guys... my sympathies! *evil smile*

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
the normal distribution always amazes me. however, according to research, almost all Americans think they're better than average rotf lol sorry it made me laugh.. how can "everyone" be better than average at the same time heh? lol by estimation, there are around 20-30 percent of Intuitives. so the top 10% cannot really contain all the 30% of the population (oh, that was an obvious fact, wasnt it? i shouldnt have stated it out lol) after all, i guess there are always "average" N?! ;)

hakuna

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Some people do abuse drugs to escape reality, but I wouldn't say that is solely an American trait. If most Americans thought they were better than average, why would they be depressed? Also, why would the above average American posses "N"? Sounds like a reach.

Anyway, yes, weed. I am a fan. I definitely prefer it to any other substance. It's not for everyone, but a joint between good friends is not to be underestimated. When I smoke, (as others have said) my Ne is set on fire and things can become very random, indeed. Overall, I enjoy it for the sense of peace that I feel when I am in that state. It's not a temporary thing either, as the knowledge that I gain while under the influence stays with me forever.

Interestingly, two of my best friends (one is an INFJ, the other an INTJ) said that they feel like they are psychic and can read minds when they're stoned, at which point I screamed, Ni! (Monty Python reference not intended.)

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
I'm not an American and I smoke a lot of weed. I was introduced to it as a religious and cultural thing and it evolved into a thing that I do for fun.

I am a total stoner. I won't even begin to deny this. I smoke every day. Part of it is because I have a lot of anxiety issues and a heart condition and weed helps both! My doctor told me so. I am also an artist so I like to idea jam when I'm high and then work on the ideas when I'm sober.

Stoned Ne is the best!

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
I'm not an American and I smoke a lot of weed. I was introduced to it as a religious and cultural thing and it evolved into a thing that I do for fun.

I am a total stoner. I won't even begin to deny this. I smoke every day. Part of it is because I have a lot of anxiety issues and a heart condition and weed helps both! My doctor told me so. I am also an artist so I like to idea jam when I'm high and then work on the ideas when I'm sober.

Stoned Ne is the best!

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
Nobody denies Ns like dreaming. i remember captainchick once said "It takes a real dream to see the state of reality." hah i liked it. so i wonder if these kind of dreams are real dreams or not ;)

one of the characteristics that Keirsey describes NFs is self-actualization. if he meant the same thing in Maslow's hierarchy, sorry I don't think it's mutual characteristic for NFs then.

p.s. oh, bout my previous post, globalization matters guys lol

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The conservative Christians often tie me up in the city square and stone me for a span of 2 weeks, during which I can contemplate over my heathen ways. Can't say I enjoy it too much. Some day, I'll gather a massive amount of stones and get them all back for all they've done.