• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs, the importance of independence?

A

A_priori

Hello my fellow INFJs

I was wondering how much importance you place on having a career that allows for your independence. The reason I ask is because I have always had a tough time working a job that involves being around other people. Although, I do enjoy the company of others I think that I am starting to realize that I am much more efficient and productive when I am able to work independently. I'm not sure if this is related to my feelings of being socialy okward or if this is a common theme amongst other INFJs?

Also, if you guys don't mind sharing, I was wondering what kind of jobs or careers other INFJs are working?

:)

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I like people a lot, but find that no matter where I am working (at a job, or in some kind of organization), I find myself always mentally moving furniture around. I used to feel really badly about that, but I think now it is just part of my personality and it's not all bad. I don't think it's so much that I am overly critical, as it is frustrating for me to really get invested in something if I feel my hands are tied for really improving it. Even when I was a child, I remember really hating it when our whole class had to make up a story together. I've never enjoyed committees either. I'd prefer a project where I am clearly the drone taking orders, or else I have the chance to manage how things turn out. If my name has to be on something though, I want some say over the outcome!

I am a teacher. Ideally, I think my career will move in the direction of me having bigger responsibility than solely classroom teaching, but not as an administrator. I would prefer work that explores something that hasn't been tried, that gives me a degree of autonomy and that allows me to test theories and ideas in practical terms.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ideal way of working is independently, managing small groups of people, if necessary.

I can work in an institution as a worker bee, but I prefer that to be on the off shift when not many others are around, and consequently I have a higher degree of autonomy.

I definitely need, and do best with, a high degree of autonomy. Not sure if this is due to being INFJ or not...?

metalmommy

so ready
I also prefer autonomy. Or to be in charge of my own domain. There are those who I can work well with, but I need to be able to trust their ability/way of doing things/judgment completely, and being that I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, those people are relatively few and far between. I can think of 2 current coworkers that would be in this category.

I'm currently a one-woman HR department. And it suits me well.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, autonomy rocks. But it's more responsibility too, which many do not like.

Oh, I'm very much into delegating, whether I can trust them or not. Everyone needs to learn to pull his/her weight.

I'm not really hung up on perfection in group things. But I definitely believe in holding myself to higher standards.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like people a lot, but find that no matter where I am working (at a job, or in some kind of organization), I find myself always mentally moving furniture around. I used to feel really badly about that, but I think now it is just part of my personality and it's not all bad. I don't think it's so much that I am overly critical, as it is frustrating for me to really get invested in something if I feel my hands are tied for really improving it. Even when I was a child, I remember really hating it when our whole class had to make up a story together. I've never enjoyed committees either. I'd prefer a project where I am clearly the drone taking orders, or else I have the chance to manage how things turn out. If my name has to be on something though, I want some say over the outcome!

I feel largely similar to this, except I think I feel less strongly about wanting to improve things. Quite often I don't care that much... But oh yeah, I certainly hated group projects ;) I agree about either preferring to be a clear drone, or else having some say at least over the aspects that I'm good at. I think what's really frustrating if there's something I truly am an expert at and I KNOW that I know the best way to do it, but my hands are tied. In most cases though I wouldn't have much of an impulse to seize control.

I do a publishing role in an arts/education company. Some is editorial (selecting pieces for anthologies, copy editing, some writing, etc), some is administrative (processing book orders, doing a monthly sales report etc.) There are things I don't like about it, and my bad time management doesn't always help my cause, but there's a lot I like about it so I will stick with it for the foreseeable future. At least I get to do some writing and work with poems...

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I hate having to depend on other people especially when i'm just thrown in with a bunch of people I don't know/like (ex group projects). If I have my name on something I want it to be done right. If i'm working with a group of competent people, I have a clear cut role or a specific responsibility I'm good at staying in my realm and perfecting my portion to the best of my abilities. Other than that i'd have to agree with everyone else I prefer to work independently .

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I need to be as independent as possible. The notion of needing others tends to be highly uncomfortable to me, on many levels.

Generally hate group work- I best work alone. Blame Ni/Ti. However it's still something I'm comfortable doing if the project matters enough to me- say for example, a theatrical production. That's always a collaborative effort, & it's a beautiful thing when everyone has something to contribute. It'll always depend on the dynamics of other people involved. Beyond acting, I prefer to complete tasks alone- right down to cooking. I get anxious with people nearby. Feel like I'm being hovered over. Simply put, I've got plans of action in my head & don't want to have to share them unless absolutely necessary. I just want to do it.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I haven't really worked outside the home very much, but at home, I mostly prefer to do things alone or maybe with one other person. IOW, I sometimes enjoy working on projects with my husband. He is competent, conscientious, and polite.

I'm really horrible about doing projects with the kids, though. I am not very patient and I don't always explain what I want very well. I have a tendency to tell them what to do and expect them to figure it out. I didn't think I'd suck quite so much at that. It seemed like it would be something I'd enjoy, but it wears me out instead. So my kids are probably not going to know how to do crap when they leave home.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I don't think it's so much that I am overly critical, as it is frustrating for me to really get invested in something if I feel my hands are tied for really improving it. Even when I was a child, I remember really hating it when our whole class had to make up a story together. I've never enjoyed committees either. I'd prefer a project where I am clearly the drone taking orders, or else I have the chance to manage how things turn out. If my name has to be on something though, I want some say over the outcome!

Oooh, I really agree with this.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I hate having to depend on other people especially when i'm just thrown in with a bunch of people I don't know/like (ex group projects). If I have my name on something I want it to be done right. If i'm working with a group of competent people, I have a clear cut role or a specific responsibility I'm good at staying in my realm and perfecting my portion to the best of my abilities. Other than that i'd have to agree with everyone else I prefer to work independently .

Yep, I like this, too.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would say that I put quite a bit of importance on independence. On thinking for one's self, having individual, original ideas. I also want credit to be placed where it is due when I do things on my own. I don't like having to rely on others too much but sometimes, I need to. It grinds my gears when I think of something on my own than someone says something along the lines was "this so and so's suggestion?"

I do want to know how to do things for myself and stand on my own two feet. However, there is a lot that does not come naturally, so I want to increase the amount of independence that I have. I do appreciate people who are there for me and there are times I do need others but I don't want to be constantly babied.