• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] INFPs, what do INFJs do that drives you nuts?

Classic Ne reading between the lines when there's nothing there.

projection.jpg

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
tl;dr like most INFJ posts.

That'd say more about INFP's dismissive nature than it does about INFJ wordiness.. don't you think?
Do you think?

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I kind of view people as being autonomous and that relationships are almost entirely voluntary and entered into and terminated on an at-will basis. If one or the other of the participants does not find the relationship beneficial, they can take several actions. They can attempt to negotiate better terms, they can choose to take one for the team, or they can disengage. There might be others, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Both people have expected terms, usually not explicit and sometimes incompatible and/or misunderstood by the other party. If the terms cannot be successfully navigated, the relationship is minimized to the maximum possible level if not terminated.

Personally, I'm only willing to negotiate to a point and under certain circumstances. I think the reason is because I am a pretty linear thinker and maybe it's the J thing, I don't know. I'm forty-two years old, so my life is probably nearly half over. I have a husband, four kids, two brothers, and two parents, one of whom I am probably going to end up caring for to some degree within ten or fifteen years.

My time, energy, and resources are finite and therefore precious to me and I am just about as happy as a pig in slop just sitting around reading a book and drinking tea. Interactions with most people do not often make me as happy as a pig in slop. Other than my family and a few close friends, the interactions have to compete with reading a book in terms of return on investment. That's a pretty high bar. So I'm going to be pretty quick to walk away from the table, at least at this point in my life. Things may well be different in twenty or thirty years when my husband and mother may be dead and my children will be enmeshed in their own lives.

So that makes the terms I dictate pretty . . . draconian? But I don't have a problem with other folks waking away from the table if they don't like my terms. I expect them to do exactly that. Sometimes it makes me sad and hurts my feelings, but I respect their right to do what they feel is right for them. Things don't always work out, but there really are seven billion people on the planet and I'm not so much of a special little snowflake that I can't be replaced under most circumstances.

INFJs are squishy in some ways, but I get the impression that we are also often highly pragmatic and prize efficiency especially when it comes to relationships. The older we get, the more likely we are to withhold the benefit of the doubt because we've just seen, heard, and smelled too many damn ducks not to trust our judgement when we see something waddling our way. Sometimes that means that we will think something is a duck when it's totally not a duck, but frankly, waiting around until we're sure is just not worth the effort. There are just things we'd rather be doing. Like reading a book or poking ourselves in the eye with sticks.

The stick thing really is quite preferrable under those circumstances, isn't it? I really do get where you're coming from. Let 'em go their way. Well said, cafe.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ji is all about sorting the wheat from the chaff.

In theory.. but in practice it seems like there are too many misunderstandings [and- dare I say - needless butthurt] transpiring for it to actually work out that way.

In theory.. but in practice it seems like there are too many misunderstandings [and- dare I say - needless butthurt] transpiring for it to actually work out that way.

Yeah, because Ni is so in touch with reality that it looks for real, practical evidence to back up its half assed claims.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don´t want to be needed nor do I want to need and stop trying to make me feel things I don´t! *busts out nuclear blast shield*

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, because Ni is so in touch with reality that it looks for real, practical evidence to back up its half assed claims.

I guess I'd attribute that to Ti more. I like to know the essence of how things work, and why, to better grasp how it motivates the individual, emotionally. In your case I figure I just made a lame joke at the wrong time, as you were still obviously rather worked up by that movie.

I guess I'd attribute that to Ti more. I like to know the essence of how things work, and why, to better grasp how it motivates the individual, emotionally. In your case I figure I just made a lame joke at the wrong time, as you were still obviously rather worked up by that movie.

Ladies and gentlemen, these backhanded jibes and pseudo-understanding is the closest an INFJ will ever get to an apology. :doh:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ladies and gentlemen, these backhanded jibes and pseudo-understanding is the closest an INFJ will ever get to an apology. :doh:

And this public shaming is the closest an INFP will ever get to accepting one. :whistling: