• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Okay, so there's funny and then there's NF funny. Let's hear yours!

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I read something on another thread that made me laugh. I'm an NF and I got to wondering what other NFers find funny. Humor is very important to me. If anyone ever tells you INfJs are always serious, they're just not "getting it." I like satire. I like quirkiness. I like the Three Stooges. I like...um....okay sci-fi from the 60s (their aliens in mini skirts make me laugh) and dorky old black and whites like the Munsters and Green Acres. I like people who sing off-key but don't know, so they just keep singing. That makes me laugh. I like how my INFP friend gets made at her computer and cusses it and thinks she's acting tough, but she reminds me of a grumpy lady like Wheezer on Steel Magnolia....so, give it up folks. Tell me what you think is funny. No angst, moaning, groaning, whining or self-depreciation allowed. What tickles your funny bone?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I am not particularly funny myself most of the time, but I love humor. I do not care for slapstick so much, but most other things make me laugh. I even love bad puns. Satire's great. Parody is a hoot. I used to crack up taking tests in English class when we were studying misplaced modifiers. Bad autocorrects make me laugh so hard I'm in tears.

I often attribute my happiness to being easily amused.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Im a big fan of irony, sarcasm and hyperboly. 'funny' at someone elses expense is however something i find very hard to stomach. In fact, to me it is a very intimate form of funny as i need to know for sure the other to be ok with it which requires intense bonding and understanding of one another.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm ashamed to admit that what tends to get me laughing the loudest is Jackass/Japanese-gameshow style sadistic moronic humour. Usually when something goes wrong and someone is in a lot of pain, or is retching uncontrollably. I don't actually watch much of it, but that's what seems to tickle my fancy. I blame it on having an INTJ father.

That isn't to say I don't enjoy more subtle kinds of humour, they just don't make me laugh until it hurts.

A

A_priori

There is definitely something to be said about the INFJ humor. I usually sensor myself around most people but once you get to know me there's almost like an extreme alter ego that comes out. I do not have a sadistic sense of humor so most simple Simon stuff that people get there kicks from doesn't do it for me at all. I don't like staged humor, I like things that are random and off the Peeton path. Actually it's really strange because I feel like people would tell you that I am one of the most serious intense people you know but at the same time hands down funniest person, most unassuming people you would ever meet. This is not to sound boastful in any way because really how does one give an accurate dipiction of themselfs over a forum. My sense of humor is always looking at things from different angles. I mostly like to laugh at and expose people for the dumbest things. I know that sounds bad but I just can't put my sense of humor into words exactly and people are so rediculis in my eyes.

A

A_priori

I think it's funny how other people come off like they think there cool or portraying a charictor that they are not. I guess I kind of like to mess with people in that regaurd and I also find animals really funny. My friend the ESFP has this druley, snaggle tooth bull dog with the most rediculis personality. The other day he was wrestling with it in the living room, like putting the dog into all these completely wild, intense wrestling moves. I seriously almost couldn't contain myself. If course the dog was not hurt in the process but the way the dog kept coming back for more and just the silliest noises the dog was making, I think anyone would have fell over laughing.

What really promotes my sense of humor tho is when I have been up for a little bit to long, this usually starts happening after about hour 12/13 of a double shift. Oh wow, things can get straight out of hand. My visuals become so overpowering, i get way beyond goofy. I actually had some trouble when I was in class a few years back where I seriously couldn't contain myself, to the point where I would actually have to step out of class during what was supposed to be a serious discussion and take a 5 minute breather. Tell me some of you other INFJs can relate to this, or do you guys feel this is a rarity for an INFJ?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
For me it is simply about creating a mental world....it may only exist for a moment either in scenario or setting but that is all it needs; a moment.

For that brief time the world is uplifted and we share in the gratification. It's also about playing the moment, I was brought up in a fairly heavy Se environment so ive learnt to be on the spot in a way I am not in private. But yeah it's mainly that I like to create those ideas, that get people imagining, then draw them in with their own minds.

You draw the outline, but they fill in the painting.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
What really promotes my sense of humor tho is when I have been up for a little bit to long, this usually starts happening after about hour 12/13 of a double shift. Oh wow, things can get straight out of hand. My visuals become so overpowering, i get way beyond goofy. I actually had some trouble when I was in class a few years back where I seriously couldn't contain myself, to the point where I would actually have to step out of class during what was supposed to be a serious discussion and take a 5 minute breather. Tell me some of you other INFJs can relate to this, or do you guys feel this is a rarity for an INFJ?

I can totally relate to this. I had a night class in 2010 where I had to do the same thing. My professor looked like Eddie Murphy from the Nutty Professor and was completely serious about everything he said. I couldn't believe that a real person could be that stereo-typed. I would often have to turn my face away so he wouldn't see me snickering or at times, do what you said and go out into the hall where I would totally crack up. On a regular basis, the longer I stay up and the more exhausted I become, the sillier I get and the funnier everything else becomes.

Amargith, I agree with you about the being funny at someone else's expense, or hurtful humor. However, I love humor where someone tells a story and the people in the story, usually real people, do something that is just absolutely hilarious. I can't help be laugh at that.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the comedies that have the subtle facial reactions and character type humor. I also like droopy, deadpan humor. We watch a lot of funny shows and my favorites range from "Flight of the Concords", "30Rock", "Parks and Recreation", "Sarah Silverstein", etc.

A

A_priori

This is a really good topic for a thread Ene:) I think sense of humor says so much about a person. One thing I can't stress more though is that I do not have a sadistic sense of humor and definitely lean towards the funny things I see in people's charictor ect..

Burger King

I'm ashamed to admit that what tends to get me laughing the loudest is Jackass/Japanese-gameshow style sadistic moronic humour. Usually when something goes wrong and someone is in a lot of pain, or is retching uncontrollably. I don't actually watch much of it, but that's what seems to tickle my fancy. I blame it on having an INTJ father.

That isn't to say I don't enjoy more subtle kinds of humour, they just don't make me laugh until it hurts.

Reminds me of Japanese game show where the guys are subjected to stupid things to provoke laughter. Only problem is that if they laugh, they get smacked from behind with a kendo stick. This vid is a snippet from the show, so not the whole thing and not translated:

I wouldn't last on this show. Probably get my ass kicked so bad wouldn't be able to sit right for days.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Fia, subtle facial reactions...yes, that IS good!

A_priori,

Thank you. I agree that a person's sense of humor says so much about them. I'm GLAD you don't have a sadistic sense of humor. Yeah, character humor is funny. I love quirky characters. Back in the nineties on the sitcom Friends I loved the character Estelle, the literary agent. That woman was just a hoot to me.