• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ti] The Real Percentage

How many are real?

• Total voters

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That is a borderline case of acting. There is a "role of boss" which is required for someone to play. The person selected for the role has to do it and everyone knows that it is his job to make decisions based on hunches.

I agree. And what is funny is that I think we all "know" that in theory... but if you watch how disgruntled employees talk about their bosses or disgruntled citizens talk about their political leaders... they tend to take it more personally rather than as an accepted reality.

I think it more like "the work changed me temporarily". I was back to my old self when I got comfortable at the job.

That is usually the pattern I follow too. I think we were both aware, though, that more literal people might just see the change without seeing what lies beneath and judged it wrong at first.

I only feel that it is tragic that the spouse couldn't be his/herself. The other one might have liked the change.

Lotsa tragedy in the world, unfortunately. :( But... playing the game is just very common.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I agree. And what is funny is that I think we all "know" that in theory... but if you watch how disgruntled employees talk about their bosses or disgruntled citizens talk about their political leaders... they tend to take it more personally rather than as an accepted reality.

Well, they should have the opportunity to try playing the boss role. It's not that easy...

pokerzen

MBTI Type
INFP
Ok, the fake-factors

- Having many different faces for situations
- Thinking a lot about what people want to hear
- Do not have many opinions of their own
- Lying a lot
- Spending a lot of time and money building appearances

I might be adding some later on... As you can see they are all relative. Everybody obviously does these things to some degree, but some seem to be all about them.

Hmm... It would mean that it is impossible to be "fake in your insincerity". It would take away the meaning of the word "fake". That's weird.

You're right, we have the word for a reason. I'm playing with paradoxes.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
We all wear masks. To me, masks are just a defense that shields our vulnerability. So I say that 90-100% of people are "real". Some people are just more masked than others and there is usually always a reason for that.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
We all wear masks. To me, masks are just a defense that shields our vulnerability. So I say that 90-100% of people are "real". Some people are just more masked than others and there is usually always a reason for that.

"Nietzsche says we all wear masks, so I want mine to be a Nietzsche mask"

?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, they should have the opportunity to try playing the boss role. It's not that easy...

You're too kind.

I'd say being the boss sucks. ;)

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I don't like the premise of this question because I feel it is swamped in subjectivity. I think it would have been a better effort to ask -- on a scale of 1-100, how disillusioned are you regarding the people you meet? This one is still quite subjective, but it doesn't put in the effort to cover it up. EDIT: And, perhaps, in doing so, is more "real" than the question asked. But that is a möbius strip.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't like the premise of this question because I feel it is swamped in subjectivity. I think it would have been a better effort to ask -- on a scale of 1-100, how disillusioned are you regarding the people you meet?

But that sounds so negative... Almost like I was waiting for people to disappoint me. I like "real" more.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
"Nietzsche says we all wear masks, so I want mine to be a Nietzsche mask"

?

I seriously LoL'd when I read this. Yes, I apparently do sound just like that. My perspective is just based on Psychology and personal experience, though. ;)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I seriously LoL'd when I read this. Yes, I apparently do sound just like that. My perspective is just based on Psychology and personal experience, though. ;)

Eh, it's an old witticism that I couldn't help but bring up.

Masks are not a problem until you BECOME the mask. Or, The Mask, even.

mask1.jpg

Although, I think people would notice more if you become The Mask rather than any other particular mask. Cause, you know, then your face would be green and you'd be behaving as a cartoon and such.

Please excuse me. I blame the heat.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Sad example of fake NT trying to pass for SP.

No, but close -- INTJ trying to pass as an ENTP.

The heat brings out the worst in me. I plan to spend the rest of my summer in the refrigerator.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'd say everyone but compulsive liars and con artists, or basically those who are actively trying to deceive. Even if you're dressing yourself up to something which doesn't come naturally or easily to you, that action is still you.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I'd say everyone but compulsive liars and con artists, or basically those who are actively trying to deceive. Even if you're dressing yourself up to something which doesn't come naturally or easily to you, that action is still you.

So... if nothing is fake except these cases, why do I feel like bad for faking a smile?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So... if nothing is fake except these cases, why do I feel like bad for faking a smile?

I don't know. I sometimes feel bad too.

I think I would rather wish I could just not modify anything at all and let people know exactly what I am at the moment... but either I don't feel it's the best thing for them or I don't trust them enough to just let the negative stuff be visible. (I feel like they might misjudge me based on anything negative, if I don't have it clarified somehow.)

Too much self-consciousness / self-awareness.
And too much anxiety over what others think.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi

I've seen people who obviously don't like me but fake a smile whenever they see me. Those types make my incredibly uncomfortable.

On the other hand, one of the easiest ways to start smiling for real is to start with a fake smile.