• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Games we play

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I read a book a while ago called Survival Games Personalities Play based on Games People Play by Eric Berne.

NFs, what games are you guilty of playing? Do you do any of these and are there others that you admit to doing? I'm guilty of Grasshopper and Mindreader.

Idealists play the Masquerade game when they feel they have not been authentic or cannot continue to be authentic, benevolent, and empathetic. The Masquerade player puts on a show that is strange, arresting, and captivating. These individuals present phoney problems that are likely to hide their inauthentic selves from public view. Masquerade players alienate themselves from whatever parts of themselves that are a source of shame. Their dramatic performances are meant to lead the self and others away from discovering what the Idealist is ashamed of doing or having done. Hence the purpose of the Masquerade game is deception

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Ummm...Half my post got cut off, I'll post the rest of it when I get some technical help. :)

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Very interesting book I picked it up about a year and a half ago. I know I'm seriously guilty of grasshopper...I can't ever seem to share myself with out HUGE effort...I'm more likely to redirect the conversation another way or on the other person... "How are you doing?" "Oh my good no how are YOU doing" (silly example but you get the point) I also play mindreader...not as often but this is the one I really work hard at not doing. I love the case studies in the back of the book. Really good practice.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Yeah I often redirect the conversation into being about the other person and it's barely noticed. Not going to lie, that's my favorite. It's so efficient. :blush:

I think I worked with another ENFJ (retrospect typing) and she was so good at Grasshopper, it was amazing. I'd ask her a personal question and she toss it back at me and then I'd answer and volley it back to her. I don't know how to describe it. For all intents and purposes, when we would talk it would be a very seamless conversations, but it was hard (at least I felt that way) almost like squeezing blood out of a turnip. No lack of topics, no uncomfortable silences, but something was difficult about it. I don't know, I may have been imagining things :huh:. We wouldn't talk over each other, but we both were trying to get personal info out but very reluctant to give any up.

This leads me to think do you wonder if it would be difficult for ENFJs to be friends with each other? I'm used to being in a position in my friendships (with the exception of about three people), that I'm the one that gives advice, I'm the only that helps out. Sometimes I resent the fact that I can't be the one in need, or maybe that I don't allow myself to be in that position, I don't know. When I am, it's like a raw exposed nerve, I hate that feeling and I want things to get to how they were ASAP. Maybe two ENFJs would face this problem of wanting the other person to divulge, but not willing to reveal.

Back to the games, Mindreader happens with family and the closest friends because that tends to get a bit intense. When you start claiming to know what people's true feelings and motives are and/or turn into Hector Projector, you'd better be close enough to them that you can kiss and makeup afterwards.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yeah I often redirect the conversation into being about the other person and it's barely noticed. Not going to lie, that's my favorite. It's so efficient. :blush:

I think I worked with another ENFJ (retrospect typing) and she was so good at Grasshopper, it was amazing. I'd ask her a personal question and she toss it back at me and then I'd answer and volley it back to her. I don't know how to describe it. For all intents and purposes, when we would talk it would be a very seamless conversations, but it was hard (at least I felt that way) almost like squeezing blood out of a turnip. No lack of topics, no uncomfortable silences, but something was difficult about it. I don't know, I may have been imagining things :huh:. We wouldn't talk over each other, but we both were trying to get personal info out but very reluctant to give any up.

This leads me to think do you wonder if it would be difficult for ENFJs to be friends with each other? I'm used to being in a position in my friendships (with the exception of about three people), that I'm the one that gives advice, I'm the only that helps out. Sometimes I resent the fact that I can't be the one in need, or maybe that I don't allow myself to be in that position, I don't know. When I am, it's like a raw exposed nerve, I hate that feeling and I want things to get to how they were ASAP. Maybe two ENFJs would face this problem of wanting the other person to divulge, but not willing to reveal.

Back to the games, Mindreader happens with family and the closest friends because that tends to get a bit intense. When you start claiming to know what people's true feelings and motives are and/or turn into Hector Projector, you'd better be close enough to them that you can kiss and makeup afterwards.

I've often wondered that...about two ENFJ's being friends. I have a woman at work (older than I am by about 10-12 years) but I think she's fantastic. She's an ENFJ. I can't claim we're FRIENDS because outside of school we've only spent one day seriously socializing and we were joined by three others (teachers on a "YEAH schools over" trip) Anyway I have a feeling we'd be able to sustain a great convo and I think she's given me more personal info than I've given to her (perhaps that comes with age) and perhaps it's just been having the opportunity to talk more with her.

I know that I, like you am always in the position of advice giver. I sometimes long to be the one who receives but I also know that to do that I have to trust someone with info about myself. Yes it's like exposing a raw nerve on purpose...and once I thought..."maybe it's the same for them and they are just braver than you are"...so I tried it...oh my lord it was terrible but I did feel a weight lifted to some extent. I'm not saying it got easier after that, I still give advice more than I get it (about major things) but it was good for me to give (a piece of myself) in that way (info about myself to someone) instead of being the advice giver. For me and for the person I divulged to I think.

Mindreader...the problem for me is that seldomly..and I mean seldomly have I been wrong (I say that not bragging) but so that you realize the problem this is for me. Because I've seldom been wrong when I do it and I'm trying to NOT if I "mindread" something that's going to hurt them down the line or whatever...what do I do then? The few times I've ignored it I felt awful when something happened that perhaps could have been prevented. Now I just sorta hurt myself emotionally by keeping a distance from some situations....I have to conscienciously decide to stay away so I don't get involved enough to "mindread" But you're right....about being close enough to kiss and make up...in my case tho it's been..."Why didn't you say?" ...."I'm sorry I didn't think you'd want to hear it" :cry: tough situation to be in.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
You know this book sounds really interesting! I have several books planned already and what order I want to read them. I may have to change order *gasp*.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know this book sounds really interesting! I have several books planned already and what order I want to read them. I may have to change order *gasp*.

You could just pretend to be an INTP and never finish any of them. :whistling:

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I haven't read the book, so I can only guess what "grasshopper" means. Does it mean bouncing back the conversation and saying insightful and perfectly appropriate things without taking any risks to reveal oneself? If so, that's my enfj dad in a nutshell.

From what I've gleaned here, these things sound all-too familiar. I have a hard time being friends with other NFs in real life--maybe because we're playing identical roles? I like NFs, but somehow we never "meet". It's like we look at one another and both go, "Yikes! You just saw me! You're not supposed to see me yet!" and then make superhuman efforts to hide without seeming to be hiding.

chatoyer

MBTI Type
eNfP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very interesting book I picked it up about a year and a half ago. I know I'm seriously guilty of grasshopper...I can't ever seem to share myself with out HUGE effort...I'm more likely to redirect the conversation another way or on the other person... "How are you doing?" "Oh my good no how are YOU doing" (silly example but you get the point) I also play mindreader...not as often but this is the one I really work hard at not doing. I love the case studies in the back of the book. Really good practice.

Yeah, it sounds like I'm seriously guilty of grasshopper....but I don't think it's a trust issue so much for me, like I've heard with other ENFs, because I usually think well of the other person. I think it's more of a pride-protective thing -- I want to control my vulnerability & the sides of me that I share so that I have some control over their perception of me. I think I easily feel so judged even when I'm not, so that is a way of managing that on my end.

I'm guilty of mindreading & probably 1/2 a dozen of other ones! :blush: , I need to read that book, it sounds really good.

logan235711

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ummm...Half my post got cut off, I'll post the rest of it when I get some technical help. :)
I know if you paste the missing text in with the edit mode it works, but if you try by going to the advanced mode it cuts off again :\ I don't know what's up but this has happened to me a few times recently as well--wah! annoying!!! :frown:

I've actually been getting better at this, not as a method to not divulge myself because I am afraid I am not complete or being myself or something related etc., but because I am experimenting with using it as a tool to create for harmony in a social group I am in and testing it's application in various areas. Of course, as an NT, normally we would never do stuff like this, so some of this is more or less new to me in the sense of actually doing, though I am probably aware of about all of it even before I began exploring it for actual use : )

I can only guess what Mindreader means since your post was cut off, so I'll try to understand based off of what has been said about it : )

Mindreader is actually something that bothers me the most when I'm with certain people, esp. some NFs. I guess it's cause I can see through all these games/layers they're putting up but me being more of an F now, I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable by tearing them down just like that, so I just find myself not bothering with a lot of them, not putting myself up to be in a situation like that. I think I've sidetracked, but it bothers me because they are never right with me when they try this stuff, they are so off or have completely misunderstood where I am coming from but sit there and nod their heads like they have it figured out, it makes want to give them a big smack in the face and tell them to get off their high horse cause they know much less than they think they do.

And then almost evertime, they never directly ask me what makes me tick in X situation or how I feel about X and ESP "WHY" I do. They almost always seem to fill in the why which bothers me too, like this one girl said she threw me in a situation before and if I acted either X or Y, then each would mean that I am either V or W person. This so wrong, esp the options she gave. I hope I don't need to point out the absurdity, but to get to the point, because they make their own jumps about me and only ask and inquire about who I am by indirect means, they fill in the rest without me and this makes half the stuff they say, if not easily more completely off :\ I think this applies more to the Js, or at least can be more detrimental as they may act more off of these false notions than a P might.

[SNIP]
From what I've gleaned here, these things sound all-too familiar. I have a hard time being friends with other NFs in real life--maybe because we're playing identical roles? I like NFs, but somehow we never "meet". It's like we look at one another and both go, "Yikes! You just saw me! You're not supposed to see me yet!" and then make superhuman efforts to hide without seeming to be hiding.
lol I know! It's sometimes fun to watch it happening when you pull two NFs together :p The last part about identity hiding is something that really bothers me as an NT in a relationship with an NF. As an NF I can be more understanding of course, but most NTs might be bothered by that :yes:

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
Can anyone give a brief overview of the styles?

I 'mindread' a lot, but I wouldn't have considered it a game, so to speak... more like some poor person has to put up with how I naturally think.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Can anyone give a brief overview of the styles?

I 'mindread' a lot, but I wouldn't have considered it a game, so to speak... more like some poor person has to put up with how I naturally think.

Ok so here they are broken up by type and the chance of them playing these particular games. Any type can play any of these games. These are just the ones they are more likely to play. Since it's late here I'm going to only give one summary of each variant for each type (I'll just go with the first for each)

Artisans - The Blackmail game (6 forms)

The Delinquency Variant -
The Binge Variant
The Con Artist Variant
The Outrage Variant
The Shocking Variant
The Empty Variant

In the Delinquency variant of Blackmail, Artisans may lie, cheat, stealand/or do anything else that is also considered immoral or illegal. Candalism, school truancy, cheating on an exam, arson, and burglary are all forms of this game. If caught in the act, Delinquency players usually deny any wrongdoing, oten blaming someone else for their misbehavior. For example the Delinquency player who has stolen a car and gotten caught may be quick to point out that the theft was the fault of the owner, who left the vehicle unlocked. Even when caught red-handed it is rare for Delinquency player to confess to their misdeeds. The child cuaght with his hands in the cookie jar may vehemently deny that he had been stealing a cookie. If confronted with threats of punishment the Delinquency player's standard response is "I don't care".

Guardians - The Complain game (6 forms)

The Invalid Variant
The Doormat Variant
The Worried Variant
The Poor Me Variant
The Depressed Variant
The Nag Variant

In playing the Invalid variant of the Complain game, the Guardian complains of suffering from one or more aches and pains. These aches and pains are real, not imaginary, though Invalid players may at times exagerate in their reports of the degree of discomfort they are experiencing. In the mild form of the Invalid game, players may complain of an occasional headache, sore back, stomach ache, or of being fatigued. In the more seroius and extreme versions of this game, players may become incapaciated from psychosomatic disorders such as severe headaches, ulcers, colitis, heart attacks, strokes or arthritis.

Rationals - The Robot Game (6 forms)

That's Illogical
Super-Intelletual
Nitpick
Superstition
Blanking Out
Haunted

In That's Illogical, the Robot player keeps others on the defensive by asking lots of questions about what other think, want, feel, or do and why they think, want, feel or do it. Once others begin to explain or defend themselves, then That's Illogical players accuse them of being illogical. Emotions, values, intuition, or any other such nonrational reasons offered by the other are especially likely to be dismissed as irrelevant, unacceptable, ridiculous, or just plain stupid by the game player. One sees a mild version ofthis game where a teenager points out to her worried parents that their reasons for not letting her take the car are irrational. In a more extrme version, a man might intimidate his wife and children by dismissing their feelings and concerns as illogical and therefore not worthy of discussion.

Idealists - The Masquerade Game (6 forms)

Grasshopper
Mind Reader
Martyr
Statue
Forgetful
Twitch

The Grasshopper version of the Masquerade game is played by hopping from one topic to another in a conversation. Grasshopper players mange to keep the conversation away from sensitive issues by leaping away from them and landing on more superficial ones. They avoid talking about what really bothers them what they feel ashamed about by pretending to be bothers by something else. Anytime the subject gets too close to the real problem they quickly bring up another pseudoproblem to replace it thus throwing the other offtrack. For example, a girl who feels badly about a fight she had with her friend Sue might suddenly start to complain about the amount of homework she has when her mother asks, "How is Sue?"

terrencemcb

MBTI Type
Intp
You could just pretend to be an INTP and never finish any of them. :whistling:
whistling face at the end makes it funny haha. i love to start books and never finish them. a tip for a intp: anthologies don't work like regular books. they're cool because it's like a fragment gathering done for you all in one book. cuts out your work for you. they're easy to get through

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Ok so does anyone here recognize any of the games listed here? If so which and do you find yourself playing games that are not necessarily games that your type generally plays?

Ok so here they are broken up by type and the chance of them playing these particular games. Any type can play any of these games. These are just the ones they are more likely to play. Since it's late here I'm going to only give one summary of each variant for each type (I'll just go with the first for each)

The Binge Variant
The Con Artist Variant
The Outrage Variant
The Shocking Variant
The Empty Variant

In the Delinquency variant of Blackmail, Artisans may lie, cheat, stealand/or do anything else that is also considered immoral or illegal. Candalism, school truancy, cheating on an exam, arson, and burglary are all forms of this game. If caught in the act, Delinquency players usually deny any wrongdoing, oten blaming someone else for their misbehavior. For example the Delinquency player who has stolen a car and gotten caught may be quick to point out that the theft was the fault of the owner, who left the vehicle unlocked. Even when caught red-handed it is rare for Delinquency player to confess to their misdeeds. The child cuaght with his hands in the cookie jar may vehemently deny that he had been stealing a cookie. If confronted with threats of punishment the Delinquency player's standard response is "I don't care".

The Invalid Variant
The Doormat Variant
The Worried Variant
The Poor Me Variant
The Depressed Variant
The Nag Variant

In playing the Invalid variant of the Complain game, the Guardian complains of suffering from one or more aches and pains. These aches and pains are real, not imaginary, though Invalid players may at times exagerate in their reports of the degree of discomfort they are experiencing. In the mild form of the Invalid game, players may complain of an occasional headache, sore back, stomach ache, or of being fatigued. In the more seroius and extreme versions of this game, players may become incapaciated from psychosomatic disorders such as severe headaches, ulcers, colitis, heart attacks, strokes or arthritis.

That's Illogical
Super-Intelletual
Nitpick
Superstition
Blanking Out
Haunted

In That's Illogical, the Robot player keeps others on the defensive by asking lots of questions about what other think, want, feel, or do and why they think, want, feel or do it. Once others begin to explain or defend themselves, then That's Illogical players accuse them of being illogical. Emotions, values, intuition, or any other such nonrational reasons offered by the other are especially likely to be dismissed as irrelevant, unacceptable, ridiculous, or just plain stupid by the game player. One sees a mild version ofthis game where a teenager points out to her worried parents that their reasons for not letting her take the car are irrational. In a more extrme version, a man might intimidate his wife and children by dismissing their feelings and concerns as illogical and therefore not worthy of discussion.

Grasshopper
Mind Reader
Martyr
Statue
Forgetful
Twitch

The Grasshopper version of the Masquerade game is played by hopping from one topic to another in a conversation. Grasshopper players mange to keep the conversation away from sensitive issues by leaping away from them and landing on more superficial ones. They avoid talking about what really bothers them what they feel ashamed about by pretending to be bothers by something else. Anytime the subject gets too close to the real problem they quickly bring up another pseudoproblem to replace it thus throwing the other offtrack. For example, a girl who feels badly about a fight she had with her friend Sue might suddenly start to complain about the amount of homework she has when her mother asks, "How is Sue?"

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I have certainly cornered people about emotional reactions. The trouble with feelings is that if they're manifest enough to be a topic of conversation, they have likely motivated certain behaviors. As actions affect people, how can something inappropriate, incorrect or offensive be reasonably justified by the claim "I just felt like it"?

The other three games don't correspond to my behavior. That last one, however, is a favorite of my ENFJ mother: "All right, what's really bothering you, Mom?"

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I tend to do "Statue" to an extent when I'm under stress. I just crawl into bed and don't move...I'll sleep way too much and, should the situation get worse, go dead to the world and myself. It's weird, when I'm upset, the first place I go to is my bed or a couch to lie down. It's not even to relax, I just need a pillow and a blanket in order to feel "safe" for a while.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The Binge Variant
The Con Artist Variant
The Outrage Variant
The Shocking Variant
The Empty Variant

The Invalid Variant
The Doormat Variant
The Worried Variant
The Poor Me Variant
The Depressed Variant
The Nag Variant

That's Illogical
Super-Intelletual
Nitpick
Superstition
Blanking Out
Haunted

Grasshopper
Mind Reader
Martyr
Statue
Forgetful
Twitch

I decided to go to the very last page of this entire sub forum. :smile:

Interesting stuff. Lacking the details but guessing at what is meant, I can say broadly I relate to several of the NF ones, I don't relate to any under the Artisan grouping, I might relate to 'Blanking Out' under the Rational, I know I've done the 'invalid' thing at times when feeling tired or headachy, and I have experience with That's Illogical and it infuriates me to no end, and also with The Invalid at an extreme end (mostly my brother flaring up when less healthy). I also work with someone who very much embodies The Doormat/Worrier and it's hard for me not to view him with a bit of contempt.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Heh, I wish we had more descriptions too.

Over the last 7 months, I've become a pro at the Invalid game. I was walking the dog and he wanted to run and play. Only, the neighbor (whom he HATES) was out in his yard, so I had the leash wrapped tightly around my hand. I tripped over my feet. The pup didn't realize I was on the ground and "jerked" me. He broke my shoulder in 2 places as a result. (I never loosened my grip on that leash though :rofl1:) Almost a month later, I had to have surgery.

My adult kids had to take care of the dogs after that. I was okay, probably 3-4 months ago, but I nurse my excuse. I tell them if they want me to resume, they need to trim back the overgrowth across the second (unused) porch stairs. The main is missing planks and is much too rickety!!
I also use back pain, headaches and general blahs to get out of doing stuff :whistling:

Other than that, I also use Grasshopper... but not, usually, as a way from taking the conversation away from me. It's just-- hey look, a squirrel! hehe, it's just the way my brain works. I do steer conversations, though. It's usually when I'm in the middle of other people and I "mind read" it's a dangerous or sensitive topic.

I also use "That's Illogical". I HATE "nonsense" questions. (What if chairs are actually beds? What if Satan is actually the good guy? What if 2+2 really DOES = 5? :BangHead::thelook::censored:) I won't even waste my time. It makes me irrationally angry.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also use "That's Illogical". I HATE "nonsense" questions. (What if chairs are actually beds? What if Satan is actually the good guy? What if 2+2 really DOES = 5? :BangHead::thelook::censored:) I won't even waste my time. It makes me irrationally angry.

:laugh: Well yah, I can relate to that. But your examples/response is psychologically of a different nature than what was described in the 'that's irrational' playbook above. (one of the only ones with more detail).

But yes - I have little patience for what I see as pointless or nonsense hypotheticals.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
rofl, so it was. I must have blanked out :rofl1:
But seriously, how did I skip that over lol