User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Games we play

  1. #11

    Default

    Can anyone give a brief overview of the styles?

    I 'mindread' a lot, but I wouldn't have considered it a game, so to speak... more like some poor person has to put up with how I naturally think.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Littlelostnf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    Can anyone give a brief overview of the styles?

    I 'mindread' a lot, but I wouldn't have considered it a game, so to speak... more like some poor person has to put up with how I naturally think.
    Ok so here they are broken up by type and the chance of them playing these particular games. Any type can play any of these games. These are just the ones they are more likely to play. Since it's late here I'm going to only give one summary of each variant for each type (I'll just go with the first for each)

    Artisans - The Blackmail game (6 forms)

    The Delinquency Variant -
    The Binge Variant
    The Con Artist Variant
    The Outrage Variant
    The Shocking Variant
    The Empty Variant

    In the Delinquency variant of Blackmail, Artisans may lie, cheat, stealand/or do anything else that is also considered immoral or illegal. Candalism, school truancy, cheating on an exam, arson, and burglary are all forms of this game. If caught in the act, Delinquency players usually deny any wrongdoing, oten blaming someone else for their misbehavior. For example the Delinquency player who has stolen a car and gotten caught may be quick to point out that the theft was the fault of the owner, who left the vehicle unlocked. Even when caught red-handed it is rare for Delinquency player to confess to their misdeeds. The child cuaght with his hands in the cookie jar may vehemently deny that he had been stealing a cookie. If confronted with threats of punishment the Delinquency player's standard response is "I don't care".

    Guardians - The Complain game (6 forms)

    The Invalid Variant
    The Doormat Variant
    The Worried Variant
    The Poor Me Variant
    The Depressed Variant
    The Nag Variant

    In playing the Invalid variant of the Complain game, the Guardian complains of suffering from one or more aches and pains. These aches and pains are real, not imaginary, though Invalid players may at times exagerate in their reports of the degree of discomfort they are experiencing. In the mild form of the Invalid game, players may complain of an occasional headache, sore back, stomach ache, or of being fatigued. In the more seroius and extreme versions of this game, players may become incapaciated from psychosomatic disorders such as severe headaches, ulcers, colitis, heart attacks, strokes or arthritis.

    Rationals - The Robot Game (6 forms)

    That's Illogical
    Super-Intelletual
    Nitpick
    Superstition
    Blanking Out
    Haunted

    In That's Illogical, the Robot player keeps others on the defensive by asking lots of questions about what other think, want, feel, or do and why they think, want, feel or do it. Once others begin to explain or defend themselves, then That's Illogical players accuse them of being illogical. Emotions, values, intuition, or any other such nonrational reasons offered by the other are especially likely to be dismissed as irrelevant, unacceptable, ridiculous, or just plain stupid by the game player. One sees a mild version ofthis game where a teenager points out to her worried parents that their reasons for not letting her take the car are irrational. In a more extrme version, a man might intimidate his wife and children by dismissing their feelings and concerns as illogical and therefore not worthy of discussion.

    Idealists - The Masquerade Game (6 forms)

    Grasshopper
    Mind Reader
    Martyr
    Statue
    Forgetful
    Twitch

    The Grasshopper version of the Masquerade game is played by hopping from one topic to another in a conversation. Grasshopper players mange to keep the conversation away from sensitive issues by leaping away from them and landing on more superficial ones. They avoid talking about what really bothers them what they feel ashamed about by pretending to be bothers by something else. Anytime the subject gets too close to the real problem they quickly bring up another pseudoproblem to replace it thus throwing the other offtrack. For example, a girl who feels badly about a fight she had with her friend Sue might suddenly start to complain about the amount of homework she has when her mother asks, "How is Sue?"
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    Intp
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You could just pretend to be an INTP and never finish any of them.
    whistling face at the end makes it funny haha. i love to start books and never finish them. a tip for a intp: anthologies don't work like regular books. they're cool because it's like a fragment gathering done for you all in one book. cuts out your work for you. they're easy to get through

  4. #14
    Senior Member Littlelostnf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Ok so does anyone here recognize any of the games listed here? If so which and do you find yourself playing games that are not necessarily games that your type generally plays?


    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelostnf View Post
    Ok so here they are broken up by type and the chance of them playing these particular games. Any type can play any of these games. These are just the ones they are more likely to play. Since it's late here I'm going to only give one summary of each variant for each type (I'll just go with the first for each)

    Artisans - The Blackmail game (6 forms)

    The Delinquency Variant -
    The Binge Variant
    The Con Artist Variant
    The Outrage Variant
    The Shocking Variant
    The Empty Variant

    In the Delinquency variant of Blackmail, Artisans may lie, cheat, stealand/or do anything else that is also considered immoral or illegal. Candalism, school truancy, cheating on an exam, arson, and burglary are all forms of this game. If caught in the act, Delinquency players usually deny any wrongdoing, oten blaming someone else for their misbehavior. For example the Delinquency player who has stolen a car and gotten caught may be quick to point out that the theft was the fault of the owner, who left the vehicle unlocked. Even when caught red-handed it is rare for Delinquency player to confess to their misdeeds. The child cuaght with his hands in the cookie jar may vehemently deny that he had been stealing a cookie. If confronted with threats of punishment the Delinquency player's standard response is "I don't care".

    Guardians - The Complain game (6 forms)

    The Invalid Variant
    The Doormat Variant
    The Worried Variant
    The Poor Me Variant
    The Depressed Variant
    The Nag Variant

    In playing the Invalid variant of the Complain game, the Guardian complains of suffering from one or more aches and pains. These aches and pains are real, not imaginary, though Invalid players may at times exagerate in their reports of the degree of discomfort they are experiencing. In the mild form of the Invalid game, players may complain of an occasional headache, sore back, stomach ache, or of being fatigued. In the more seroius and extreme versions of this game, players may become incapaciated from psychosomatic disorders such as severe headaches, ulcers, colitis, heart attacks, strokes or arthritis.

    Rationals - The Robot Game (6 forms)

    That's Illogical
    Super-Intelletual
    Nitpick
    Superstition
    Blanking Out
    Haunted

    In That's Illogical, the Robot player keeps others on the defensive by asking lots of questions about what other think, want, feel, or do and why they think, want, feel or do it. Once others begin to explain or defend themselves, then That's Illogical players accuse them of being illogical. Emotions, values, intuition, or any other such nonrational reasons offered by the other are especially likely to be dismissed as irrelevant, unacceptable, ridiculous, or just plain stupid by the game player. One sees a mild version ofthis game where a teenager points out to her worried parents that their reasons for not letting her take the car are irrational. In a more extrme version, a man might intimidate his wife and children by dismissing their feelings and concerns as illogical and therefore not worthy of discussion.

    Idealists - The Masquerade Game (6 forms)

    Grasshopper
    Mind Reader
    Martyr
    Statue
    Forgetful
    Twitch

    The Grasshopper version of the Masquerade game is played by hopping from one topic to another in a conversation. Grasshopper players mange to keep the conversation away from sensitive issues by leaping away from them and landing on more superficial ones. They avoid talking about what really bothers them what they feel ashamed about by pretending to be bothers by something else. Anytime the subject gets too close to the real problem they quickly bring up another pseudoproblem to replace it thus throwing the other offtrack. For example, a girl who feels badly about a fight she had with her friend Sue might suddenly start to complain about the amount of homework she has when her mother asks, "How is Sue?"
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

  5. #15
    Senior Member htb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    I have certainly cornered people about emotional reactions. The trouble with feelings is that if they're manifest enough to be a topic of conversation, they have likely motivated certain behaviors. As actions affect people, how can something inappropriate, incorrect or offensive be reasonably justified by the claim "I just felt like it"?

    The other three games don't correspond to my behavior. That last one, however, is a favorite of my ENFJ mother: "All right, what's really bothering you, Mom?"

  6. #16
    Senior Member Kyrielle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    I tend to do "Statue" to an extent when I'm under stress. I just crawl into bed and don't move...I'll sleep way too much and, should the situation get worse, go dead to the world and myself. It's weird, when I'm upset, the first place I go to is my bed or a couch to lie down. It's not even to relax, I just need a pillow and a blanket in order to feel "safe" for a while.

  7. #17
    Senior Member cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelostnf View Post
    Ok so here they are broken up by type and the chance of them playing these particular games. Any type can play any of these games. These are just the ones they are more likely to play. Since it's late here I'm going to only give one summary of each variant for each type (I'll just go with the first for each)

    Artisans - The Blackmail game (6 forms)

    The Delinquency Variant -
    The Binge Variant
    The Con Artist Variant
    The Outrage Variant
    The Shocking Variant
    The Empty Variant

    In the Delinquency variant of Blackmail, Artisans may lie, cheat, stealand/or do anything else that is also considered immoral or illegal. Candalism, school truancy, cheating on an exam, arson, and burglary are all forms of this game. If caught in the act, Delinquency players usually deny any wrongdoing, oten blaming someone else for their misbehavior. For example the Delinquency player who has stolen a car and gotten caught may be quick to point out that the theft was the fault of the owner, who left the vehicle unlocked. Even when caught red-handed it is rare for Delinquency player to confess to their misdeeds. The child cuaght with his hands in the cookie jar may vehemently deny that he had been stealing a cookie. If confronted with threats of punishment the Delinquency player's standard response is "I don't care".

    Guardians - The Complain game (6 forms)

    The Invalid Variant
    The Doormat Variant
    The Worried Variant
    The Poor Me Variant
    The Depressed Variant
    The Nag Variant

    In playing the Invalid variant of the Complain game, the Guardian complains of suffering from one or more aches and pains. These aches and pains are real, not imaginary, though Invalid players may at times exagerate in their reports of the degree of discomfort they are experiencing. In the mild form of the Invalid game, players may complain of an occasional headache, sore back, stomach ache, or of being fatigued. In the more seroius and extreme versions of this game, players may become incapaciated from psychosomatic disorders such as severe headaches, ulcers, colitis, heart attacks, strokes or arthritis.

    Rationals - The Robot Game (6 forms)

    That's Illogical
    Super-Intelletual
    Nitpick
    Superstition
    Blanking Out
    Haunted

    In That's Illogical, the Robot player keeps others on the defensive by asking lots of questions about what other think, want, feel, or do and why they think, want, feel or do it. Once others begin to explain or defend themselves, then That's Illogical players accuse them of being illogical. Emotions, values, intuition, or any other such nonrational reasons offered by the other are especially likely to be dismissed as irrelevant, unacceptable, ridiculous, or just plain stupid by the game player. One sees a mild version ofthis game where a teenager points out to her worried parents that their reasons for not letting her take the car are irrational. In a more extrme version, a man might intimidate his wife and children by dismissing their feelings and concerns as illogical and therefore not worthy of discussion.

    Idealists - The Masquerade Game (6 forms)

    Grasshopper
    Mind Reader
    Martyr
    Statue
    Forgetful
    Twitch

    The Grasshopper version of the Masquerade game is played by hopping from one topic to another in a conversation. Grasshopper players mange to keep the conversation away from sensitive issues by leaping away from them and landing on more superficial ones. They avoid talking about what really bothers them what they feel ashamed about by pretending to be bothers by something else. Anytime the subject gets too close to the real problem they quickly bring up another pseudoproblem to replace it thus throwing the other offtrack. For example, a girl who feels badly about a fight she had with her friend Sue might suddenly start to complain about the amount of homework she has when her mother asks, "How is Sue?"
    I decided to go to the very last page of this entire sub forum.

    Interesting stuff. Lacking the details but guessing at what is meant, I can say broadly I relate to several of the NF ones, I don't relate to any under the Artisan grouping, I might relate to 'Blanking Out' under the Rational, I know I've done the 'invalid' thing at times when feeling tired or headachy, and I have experience with That's Illogical and it infuriates me to no end, and also with The Invalid at an extreme end (mostly my brother flaring up when less healthy). I also work with someone who very much embodies The Doormat/Worrier and it's hard for me not to view him with a bit of contempt.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

  8. #18
    Senior Member Zhaylin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Heh, I wish we had more descriptions too.

    Over the last 7 months, I've become a pro at the Invalid game. I was walking the dog and he wanted to run and play. Only, the neighbor (whom he HATES) was out in his yard, so I had the leash wrapped tightly around my hand. I tripped over my feet. The pup didn't realize I was on the ground and "jerked" me. He broke my shoulder in 2 places as a result. (I never loosened my grip on that leash though ) Almost a month later, I had to have surgery.

    My adult kids had to take care of the dogs after that. I was okay, probably 3-4 months ago, but I nurse my excuse. I tell them if they want me to resume, they need to trim back the overgrowth across the second (unused) porch stairs. The main is missing planks and is much too rickety!!
    I also use back pain, headaches and general blahs to get out of doing stuff

    Other than that, I also use Grasshopper... but not, usually, as a way from taking the conversation away from me. It's just-- hey look, a squirrel! hehe, it's just the way my brain works. I do steer conversations, though. It's usually when I'm in the middle of other people and I "mind read" it's a dangerous or sensitive topic.

    I also use "That's Illogical". I HATE "nonsense" questions. (What if chairs are actually beds? What if Satan is actually the good guy? What if 2+2 really DOES = 5? ) I won't even waste my time. It makes me irrationally angry.

  9. #19
    Senior Member cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaylin View Post

    I also use "That's Illogical". I HATE "nonsense" questions. (What if chairs are actually beds? What if Satan is actually the good guy? What if 2+2 really DOES = 5? ) I won't even waste my time. It makes me irrationally angry.
    Well yah, I can relate to that. But your examples/response is psychologically of a different nature than what was described in the 'that's irrational' playbook above. (one of the only ones with more detail).

    But yes - I have little patience for what I see as pointless or nonsense hypotheticals.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes Zhaylin liked this post

  10. #20
    Senior Member Zhaylin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si
    Posts
    793

    Default

    rofl, so it was. I must have blanked out
    But seriously, how did I skip that over lol
    Likes cascadeco liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. What was the first video game you played and completed?
    By prplchknz in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-09-2015, 03:57 PM
  2. Survival Games People Play
    By ygolo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 11:06 AM
  3. Are we playing a fictional role in life?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 01:18 PM
  4. Survival Games Personalities Play
    By heart in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 05:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO