• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Again that question: am I really INFJ or actually INTJ?

emmapeel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
This is my first post, but I've been actively reading about MBTI in books and several websites (including this one) for the past (long) period. I'm am completely fascinated by it and would love to use bits and pieces of it in trying to understand the motives of myself, my family members, friends and colleagues, so I can manage those relationships more effectively & to help them (myself included) grow as a person.

I took a few tests which all indicated me as an INFJ. And I'm very happy with most of the descriptions I read about INFJ: I can identify with them very well. However, I recently discovered there's more to T and F: Fi/Fe and Ti/Te. That discovery has confused me to the point of having spent the past few days on the internet trying to grasp the difference between Fe/Ti and Te/Fi. As an INFJ I should match with Fe/Ti but I can much more identify with Te/Fi. However, looking at my personality as a whole, I feel I am much more like INFJ than INTJ in all kinds of situations.

My brain is tired & I've come to accept that I can't find an answer that truly speaks to me by myself. Please help me out. I'm aware of all the forum threads out there that already address this subject. That's what I've been reading for the past few days ;) They simply don't seem to help...

I would love to give you a trazillion examples of my actions and underlying motives to help you decide whether I'm Fe/Ti or Te/Fi, but I believe it might disturb your objectivy if I did so in this first post. Instead I kinda hope some of you will ask some kind of brilliant superquestion and that my answers will provide proof for either INFJ or INTJ. Hope that's okay. :)

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If I have to choose between INTJ and INFJ based on this post - INFJ.

trying to understand the motives of myself, my family members, friends and colleagues, so I can manage those relationships more effectively & to help them (myself included) grow as a person.

This is probably what they call Fe.

The overthinking-in-your-head part is probably what they call Ti and it makes your head hurt.

If you were an INTJ there would be a part that would want tangible, achievable RESULTS NOW without too much overthinking (Te) and there would be a part that would make you very sensitive to your own internal emotional states (Fi), not those of other people.

All clear? Now ditch the MBTI and read Jung's Types.

emmapeel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Thank you for your rather quick reply Istbkleta! I think I agree with your analysis. I'll look into Jung's types as well.

Last edited:

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you for your rather quick reply Istbkleta. What makes you think that? I haven't even really told anything about myself...

It's written on your forehead. Go read Jung and ditch the forums and the MBTI lies.

There is no relationship you can build with me here, I'm just a ghost in the machine, I'm not real.

Say thank you for the link.

emmapeel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I'm simply not sure how to respond to your boldness, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm thankful for both your answer and your link, so thanks! :wink:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

I don't know if you have taken the Keys2Cognition test linked above but that is how many forum members here have guaged their type and it is also how I figured out which Ti dom I am just like you need to figure out which Ni dom you are. Be sure to post your results so people can see what type you might be!

emmapeel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
That's the test that confused me in the first place :D I'll test again later today, have to go out for some groceries now before my entire day gets messed up by this F/T matter.

Burger King

That's the test that confused me in the first place :D I'll test again later today, have to go out for some groceries now before my entire day gets messed up by this F/T matter.

You can't derive anything meaningful from these tests. Just read up on the functions or do a questionaire and ask for opinion.

JFC: http://www.personalitynation.com/jungian-cognitive-functions/1708-jcf-defined-c-g-jung.html
INFJ: http://www.personalitynation.com/infj/3317-infj-jungian-cognitive-function-analysis.html
INTJ: http://www.personalitynation.com/intj/3480-intj-jungian-cognitive-function-analysis.html

emmapeel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Okay. So this is the test (among others, but I liked this one best) that I based my initial INFJ on: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp I made the test again just now and this was my score:

INFJ
Introvert(78%) iNtuitive(75%) iNtuitive Feeling(50%) Judging(67%)
You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (50%)
You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

I also made the Keys2Cognition test again. This was my score:
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********* (9.3)
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************** (20.7)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.9)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************************** (41)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************************** (30.7)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************** (22.6)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************ (36)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************ (36.6)
Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP
If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INFJ

On the way back from the supermarket I thought about personal development and the way Dom & Aux etc develop throughout your life. Maybe telling something about my personal development will help.
  • When I was a child I was a nearly carefree spirit: being quite intelligent school was nothing but a playground. I had a very vivid group of imaginary friends though and an uncontrollable urge to imagine endlessly and express myself through writing & drawing. I enjoyed playing on my own most of the time dealing with one of my many 'projects', though having one (!) friend come over was nice as well. In groups of children I was always the one with tearful tantrums. Other things that upset me were my parents fighting and behaviour that was clearly 'unjust' in my eyes.
  • At age 10 to 16 or so I was still very preoccupied with fantasy & justice. I had imaginary boyfriends in such an intense way that they weren't just teenage fantasies, but actual relationships in some parallel world. In real life I kissed for the first time at 13, assumed that meant we would be together, assumed wrong as he was just playing around, and that instantly changed my view on love & men forever. I also warned half the world about him to protect other girls from this cruel immoral behaviour (hey, I was 13). This was also around the time that I wanted to study law and become a lawyer: to help others with justice & intelligence and become rich along the way ;p.
  • Between 16 and 24/25 I started to discover the concept of truth. It never occured to me that ultimate truth was interesting at all, I always believed in 6 billion truths existing simultaneously, kinda like "I don't care what the real truth is, this is my personal truth." But all of a sudden I was intrigued by this concept. I started to study History of Art and wanted to be a journalist. Discover and distribute the ultimate truth. In the meantime I was in an abusive relationship (age 16 to 21) which absolutely sucked and let to depression but I just couldn't let go out of loyalty and a misplaced feeling of 'This is what I choose, I can't go back now'. At age 24 or something my best friend suddenly went completely fundamentalist-science-based-Dawkins-loving in such a way that I couldn't even express a hypothetical theory just to play around with thoughts without her demanding 'scientific proof, double blind, now!'. That shocked me out of my truth-seeking. I went back to believing in 6 billion truths existing simultaneously. Who cares about truth anyway as long as we get along?
  • Since 25 (I'm now 30) I focus on structured improvement / progress. I like dealing with projects, structuring stuff (not the details though) and improving processes (and people). I enjoy educating people, if possible through writing (I used to be a self-employed copywriter for a while). I need independance. I need justice. I need people to stop annoying each other and just get on with things that are more important. People can be so stupid and tiring... Something I would like for myself is to develop my physical side. I'm not very much in touch with my body (my body is a tool, not a friend). I'm so used to living in my mind that physical things take place in my mind as well. For instance, I experience things like hunger & sex in my brain, not in my body.
While I'm writing this I'm somewhat convincing myself of my INFJ-ness. I'm very curious whether other INFJ's have similar experiences. (or whether this is INTJ or something else after all). The one thing that I don't recognize in Fe is the focus on the 'group'. I very much dislike 'groups'. I've actually been known to sabotage and break up groups so that everybody was an individual again. But maybe that's my introverted side and not so much my lack of extraverted feeling.

Also, I see Loki has replied during the time I was writing my reply. I'll check those links. Thanks!

Last edited:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Okay. So this is the test (among others, but I liked this one best) that I based my initial INFJ on: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp I made the test again just now and this was my score:

INFJ
Introvert(78%) iNtuitive(75%) iNtuitive Feeling(50%) Judging(67%)
You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (50%)
You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

I also made the Keys2Cognition test again. This was my score:
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********* (9.3)
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************** (20.7)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.9)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************************** (41)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************************** (30.7)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************** (22.6)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************ (36)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************ (36.6)
Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP
If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INFJ

On the way back from the supermarket I thought about personal development and the way Dom & Aux etc develop throughout your life. Maybe telling something about my personal development will help.
  • When I was a child I was a nearly carefree spirit: being quite intelligent school was nothing but a playground. I had a very vivid group of imaginary friends though and an uncontrollable urge to imagine endlessly and express myself through writing & drawing. I enjoyed playing on my own most of the time dealing with one of my many 'projects', though having one (!) friend come over was nice as well. In groups of children I was always the one with tearful tantrums. Other things that upset me were my parents fighting and behaviour that was clearly 'unjust' in my eyes.
  • At age 10 to 16 or so I was still very preoccupied with fantasy & justice. I had imaginary boyfriends in such an intense way that they weren't just teenage fantasies, but actual relationships in some parallel world. In real life I kissed for the first time at 13, assumed that meant we would be together, assumed wrong as he was just playing around, and that instantly changed my view on love & men forever. I also warned half the world about him to protect other girls from this cruel immoral behaviour (hey, I was 13). This was also around the time that I wanted to study law and become a lawyer: to help others with justice & intelligence and become rich along the way ;p.
  • Between 16 and 24/25 I started to discover the concept of truth. It never occured to me that ultimate truth was interesting at all, I always believed in 6 billion truths existing simultaneously, kinda like "I don't care what the real truth is, this is my personal truth." But all of a sudden I was intrigued by this concept. I started to study History of Art and wanted to be a journalist. Discover and distribute the ultimate truth. In the meantime I was in an abusive relationship (age 16 to 21) which absolutely sucked and let to depression but I just couldn't let go out of loyalty and a misplaced feeling of 'This is what I choose, I can't go back now'. At age 24 or something my best friend suddenly went completely fundamentalist-science-based-Dawkins-loving in such a way that I couldn't even express a hypothetical theory just to play around with thoughts without her demanding 'scientific proof, double blind, now!'. That shocked me out of my truth-seeking. I went back to believing in 6 billion truths existing simultaneously. Who cares about truth anyway as long as we get along?
  • Since 25 (I'm now 30) I focus on structured improvement / progress. I like dealing with projects, structuring stuff (not the details though) and improving processes (and people). I enjoy educating people, if possible through writing (I used to be a self-employed copywriter for a while). I need independance. I need justice. I need people to stop annoying each other and just get on with things that are more important. People can be so stupid and tiring... Something I would like for myself is to develop my physical side. I'm not very much in touch with my body (my body is a tool, not a friend). I'm so used to living in my mind that physical things take place in my mind as well. For instance, I experience things like hunger & sex in my brain, not in my body.
While I'm writing this I'm somewhat convincing myself of my INFJ-ness. I'm very curious whether other INFJ's have similar experiences. (or whether this is INTJ or something else after all). The one thing that I don't recognize in Fe is the focus on the 'group'. I very much dislike 'groups'. I've actually been known to sabotage and break up groups so that everybody was an individual again. But maybe that's my introverted side and not so much my lack of extraverted feeling.

Also, I see Loki has replied during the time I was writing my reply. I'll check those links. Thanks!

You sound very INFJ like (I'm also 1w2!) over INTJ. I don't identify with "the group" either. I think that's more SJ style Fe. I do expect people to try to make their actions work for the majority of the people around them that they are dealing with if it doesn't involve going against any inner moral code of theirs, but that's probably the most "groupy" I get.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I echo INFJ based on the comments you've made ("I would love to give you a trazillion examples of my actions and underlying motives to help you decide whether I'm Fe/Ti or Te/Fi, but I believe it might disturb your objectivy" seems very Ni/Fe ; "I'm simply not sure how to respond to your boldness" and "Who cares about truth anyway as long as we get along?" don't seem like something that would ever come out of an INTJ, lol) as well as your initial description.

Just to bump off what fidelia said, I don't even know that my ESFJ 2w1 mom really identifies with "the group" either. I think I might feel that more than her - probably my Enneagram 6. Mom is one hell of a social navigation expert though, that's for sure - no doubt she's Fe dominant. She's very good at using persuasion techniques to engage members of groups to work together and she's very good at understanding and utilizing the "network" within the group - she has brilliant insight into interpersonal issues - and [MENTION=16553]Cecile[/MENTION] your "sabotaging" of groups sounds like a Fe technique. As an ENFP I don't have the faintest idea how one would even go about doing that, much less has it ever crossed my mind!
:laugh:

emmapeel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
[MENTION=13880]Istbkleta[/MENTION]: teehee, right you are! I can identify with nearly every I-prayer though. Not the E-ones. But that's a true perfectionist I guess, I want to fix 8 flaws, not 1 :D
[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION]: I've been reading a lot of your posts and I can usually identify with what you're saying/feeling. Your reply about 'groups' as well.
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]: sabotaging a group comes naturally if it's necessary. Which, luckily, it hardly ever is. I've done it twice and both times because I could sense that the group was bringing out the worst in the group members and was making some of them really unhappy.

I think we all agree that I should stop doubting my INFJ-ness :D
Thank you all.
Am still curious why that T-part of me demands so much attention. Is that what is called Ni-Ti-looping?

Edit: did some research. I think this entire thread is one big Ni-Ti-looping Cecile example :D