• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Do people have friends who are a similar type?

Freyaaa

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
Hi
I've read before that people generally get on better with types similar to them, but I'm not sure that's true of me. I seem to have had a lot of friends who are dominant sensing types....
What about everyone else?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi
I've read before that people generally get on better with types similar to them, but I'm not sure that's true of me. I seem to have had a lot of friends who are dominant sensing types....
What about everyone else?

I get along best with esfp's which also are dom Se types. I don't meet to many people that are Te dom or even Ni dom. The Ni doms I meet though I get along with as soon as they realize I'm in it for the long haul. I don't need that with an esfp, they are very accepting when I first meet them so they're the easiest for me to get along with because we both show ourselves easily and get to know each other fast.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My friends are mostly SPs from soccer though there are a few NT and SJ friends though mostly not from soccer and NF is just completely off both lists!

The most common type of the people I am friends with is probably ESTP which makes sense since that is my favorite type. ESTPs are such adventuresome and fun people and my weak i and n along with strong T and P makes my type quite similar to theirs.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Most of my friends that I've known for a long time are SJ. I get along fine with them but always felt a bid like they all probably think I'm a weirdo.

Lately I've met several NP people from some activities that I've done (activities that I have chosen, not ones forced upon me like high school). We seem to "get each other" better and have similar interests and sense of humor. Makes sense that I met them how I did since we had to have at least one similar interest to meet in the first place.

At work I find I really hit it off with other NPs and I also get along well with SJs. SPs pretty well. NJs I have a lot of trouble understanding at times.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I think I have friends of all type. Most of them are S of one form or another, but that's just because there seem to be a lot more S around here. They tell me that I make their heads hurt, so I've been trying to behave myself.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If online descriptions are any indicator, then I'm "supposed" to get along best with other Sensors -- but most of my friends are iNtuitive. The vast majority of my close friends are NFs, then NTs, then one or two SPs. My only close friends with similar types to me are my dad (INTP, with Ne/Si in common), and my ENFP friend from high school (same functions, different order).

I also generally don't befriend other Enneagram Ones, but I have lots of friends who are 9w1, 2w1, 2w3, or 3w2. Recently I made an ENTJ 8w9 friend, but I'm not all that close with him. :shrug:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have mix of every type. Closest friends/who i prefer to hang with are ESTP (best male friend) ENFP and INFJ (best female friends) and ISFJ (best friend with benefits. Whatever it is. Its effortless and fun).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Think about it for a second, OP. If you take MBTI out of it for a second, what would you think of someone who surrounded themselves with nothing but...themselves (or the closest they could get?)

I would think there was something fucking wrong with them.

Freyaaa

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
Cool, thanks guys.
My best friend is an ISTJ-not exactly a type mine's associated with-but we actually have loads of stuff in common, like writing stories, although our styles are completley different and it was kind of interesting seeing how they blended when we tried to write a joint story. :) I've also been best friends with an ESTP and an ESFP before. Usually when I meet intuitive types we get on really well-but we never seem to quite become defined "friends" in the same way and end up drifting apart. Oh well.
Apart from my immediate family, who are all intuitive types.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My closest friends are ENTP, INFJ, and INxJ, so not really any trends there. My other friends don't matter that much plus I don't know if I know them well enough to guess their type, but I'm guessing there is a variety.

Ling

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I would say that I know a good mix of people. Most of them are F's though. Strangely, enough, my closest friends are mostly E's (ESTJ, ENFP, ENFP and ISFP) even though I typically prefer quieter people.

Susah

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Think about it for a second, OP. If you take MBTI out of it for a second, what would you think of someone who surrounded themselves with nothing but...themselves (or the closest they could get?)

I would think there was something fucking wrong with them.

To be honest, yes. Well, maybe not only, but it would be nice to know someone who seemed to be on a similar level... sigh... no one understands me ;)

I'm not great at typing, but I think my closest friends are: ESFJ, INTPx2 (or actually perhaps one of them might be an INFP...), and in the greater circle ISFJx2 (I think, but again one of them is a bit tricky) and an ENFP. I definitely get on better with Ns and often find S a bit tedious/'shallow'

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have friends (IRL) from a lot of types. Just off my head: INTJ, ISTJ, ISFP, ISTP, ESFP, ENTP, INTP, INFJ, and others who I've forgotten to mention or whose type I don't know.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My closest friends are: an ENFP, two ENFJ's, an ESFJ and two ESFP's.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My friends are all over the type people but overall, they tend to gravitate more towards INxx.

Enneagram-wise, all over the place but tend to form friendships more with 6 and 9.

S

Society

some types are prone for single-type social groups, which i call mental masturbation circles (reaffirming towards one flaws - nice, but rarely constructive and in a few cases utterly destructive).

other types are the exact opposite - for example my own type - ENTPs - can become good friends in the mutual understanding level, but it takes mental effort to put the 1upmanship competition aside the act of determining whose turn is it to steer the wheel can be incredibly awkward.

on a sidenote, most of everyone's friends are likely to be S-doms because most of the world are S-doms types.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my closest friends are NFs or NTs...mostly NFs.... I have very few Sensors as friends, for sure...

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
my closest friend is supposedly an ENTP, but after seeing ENTPs on this forum I've begun to wonder whether she's an ENTJ or ESTP.

the best friend I've ever had was an ENFJ, but we lost touch.

most of my other friends are ESxPs, with very few exceptions. and then a random ESFJ.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm nt generally friends with people of my type. I usually like ES's that help get things going. Best friend is ESFJ. Her brother and I get on really well. He's ESTP. My mentor/close friend was an ESTJ. Only long term relationship was with an eSTJ. Was in love with an ESFP forever. Currently made a new best bud with some one who is one letter off from ESFJ.

They are all people who I think encouraged me to be better, or a least more fully myself. When people are the same as you in can result in stagnation, but I think "odd couples" are funny and good for both people

ummm

MBTI Type
ENTP
l can be critical, l actually think you sound like an INFJ l talk with. She said she gets along with most people. For me l really have to have a similar communication style, most likely because l can't go too far with small talk.