• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Reconcilling Masculine Steriotypes/Expectations and NFness in women...wait...what?

CreativeCait

MBTI Type
PING
So I've just had an epiphany and put two and two together about my uncomfortableness with being INFP. It's partly a gender thing. Would love to hear other Fs perspectives on gender identity and being Fdom.

I am female but was raised by my mother only from a very young age. As I grew up, I was expected, sumwhat, to take on certain tasks that had been my fathers domain. These were physical tasks as well as supportive ones that in a 'traditional' family could be considered masculine.

Consequences of this led me to have a more masculine or 'tough' persona, to be strong for my family. For instance, my mother cried and was emotional, but I wasn't (or so I convinced myself). I was rational and fixed problems logically as they arised. I denied feelings, was ashamed of them and tried to pretend they didn't exist.

Fast-forward to now and I'm way more comfortable with my feeling side and domFi. However, the fact that I am pretty much made of marshmellow and feel great emotional reactions irritates me no end and sits very uncomfortably with me. I'm forever cringing at my mushyness. I feel like I should be the practical fixer and stoic one, not the "silly" INFP crying in the corner because an ant got stepped on. Well, stupid example but I assume you get what I'm on about...

I've read that male INFPs can have a hard time with fitting in alongside masculine steriotypes and expectations. I would like to hear how other people from any types have experienced this?? And also if other females in particular have encountered similar issues?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I dodged a bullet on this subject. ENFP males are supposed to have very big issues with gender expectations and expression, mine are only very small ones. I think it has to do with the fact that my father is INFP and was the nurturing one in my family. So, I never felt less male because I am NF. I grew up in a somewhat tough, inexpressive situation.. so for me expression is something that came later. Toughness and inexpressiveness was something I learned, but I never strongly linked it to gender.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Read The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron. It will make you feel better about a lot of this.:hug:

I bet the things you try to hide are secretly admired by others. I was shocked to discover that in my own life.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Well on the flip side everyone has to deal emotions, but some aren't quite as in touch with them, which can be a problem on its own. They may be stoic and strong on the outside, but not so well adjusted internally. Unfortunately, emotions can get icky for all of us, not just NFs

Read: You're not alone.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, sorry, just carefully read the OP and realized you're specifically asking for female NFs who have to deal with filling a masculine role. I wish I could help.. maybe somebody else has experienced similar situations.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I feel like I should be the practical fixer and stoic one, not the "silly" INFP crying in the corner because an ant got stepped on. Well, stupid example but I assume you get what I'm on about...

I've read that male INFPs can have a hard time with fitting in alongside masculine steriotypes and expectations. I would like to hear how other people from any types have experienced this?? And also if other females in particular have encountered similar issues?
There is no should, or should not. There is just you.

I know it is easy for me to say, but it is really how I try to be. I'm a 34 year old guy, and I sit around once a week and cry when The Biggest Loser is on. And you know what? I don't care. I actually like it. I don't try to hide it or anything, I just put the mushiness out there. We are all so complicated and multifaceted, there isn't much use worrying about your innate characteristics.

It doesn't feel like much of a helpful response, kind of feels like a cop out really, but I don't know how else to say it.

EDIT: I know why it feels like an unhelpful cop out of an answer. I have trouble giving advice on the subject because I don't feel a struggle with the original issue. Maybe somehow my attitude can help you get a new perspective though.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Oh, sorry, just carefully read the OP and realized you're specifically asking for female NFs who have to deal with filling a masculine role. I wish I could help.. maybe somebody else has experienced similar situations.
I think she was just asking about either type having to deal with the same general masculine stereotype kind of problem. Male or female.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm realizing that I'm kind of struggling with the reverse a little bit in an odd way. I've been working out a lot and getting into pretty decent shape. For the first time in my life I am getting some muscle definition going.

There is a part of me that is worried about this because I'm afraid I will look more masculine than I feel, and that it will somehow change the way people interact with me and I will be thrust into some super masculine chest thumping world. Like my true personality won't be as well received if it comes in a physically stronger wrapping.

Completely irrational. At this point I'm just trying to keep that from letting me sabotage myself.

So yeah, apparently I do have some issues in this area.

CreativeCait

MBTI Type
PING
I bet the things you try to hide are secretly admired by others. I was shocked to discover that in my own life.

Can you give an example of this??

I've heard that book was good I should probably check it out, but the title is putting me off :p

CreativeCait

MBTI Type
PING

No, you were helpful. That was exactly what I was after :) it helped me reconsider whether its a gender thing or a general conditioning thing.

Awww, you did the thing my ENFP bestie does all the time. Answered the exact question I asked with a great answer. Then second -guessed yourself to make sure you were on the same page. Maybe its because you go Ne first and Fi second??

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, you were helpful. That was exactly what I was after :) it helped me reconsider whether its a gender thing or a general conditioning thing.

Awww, you did the thing my ENFP bestie does all the time. Answered the exact question I asked with a great answer. Then second -guessed yourself to make sure you were on the same page. Maybe its because you go Ne first and Fi second??

Ah, good, glad I could help. Yes, I guess you could say it was Ne, Fi. Or to be more detailed, I got the feeling of what you were saying and then spouted off. Then I remembered how often it is I get in trouble that way. :D

CreativeCait

MBTI Type
PING
There is no should, or should not. There is just you.

I don't try to hide it or anything, I just put the mushiness out there. We are all so complicated and multifaceted, there isn't much use worrying about your innate characteristics.

This was very helpful. I can see that its important to be yourself and not worry about expectations, real or percieved, but I do struggle to achieve that. Just gotta keep working on thst I guess...

I'm realizing that I'm kind of struggling with the reverse a little bit in an odd way.

There is a part of me that is worried about this because I'm afraid I will look more masculine than I feel, and that it will somehow change the way people interact with me and I will be thrust into some super masculine chest thumping world. Like my true personality won't be as well received if it comes in a physically stronger wrapping.

I love juxtopositions and the very masculine man who seems one thing but when you get to know them, are a completely lovely, quiet, gentle person are one of my favourite kind to encounter and hang out with. Eg : covered in tattoos and vegan cos they love animals or just generally one of the kindest souls on earth or whatever.

Some people might get confused but its probably not worth focusing on what their expectations of you might be. The ones who matter and make an effort to get to know you will always see who you are past your external qualities :)

CreativeCait

MBTI Type
PING
I got the feeling of what you were saying and then spouted off. Then I remembered how often it is I get in trouble that way. :D

OMG, that's totally it :D And it's totally adorable ;) Love ENFPs :wubbie:

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've heard that book was good I should probably check it out, but the title is putting me off :p

It's a good book. "Sensitive" is just an adjective which can be both positive and negative. Don't let the common negative reading put you off from reading the book and identifying with being one :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I dodged a bullet on this subject. ENFP males are supposed to have very big issues with gender expectations and expression, mine are only very small ones. I think it has to do with the fact that my father is INFP and was the nurturing one in my family. So, I never felt less male because I am NF. I grew up in a somewhat tough, inexpressive situation.. so for me expression is something that came later. Toughness and inexpressiveness was something I learned, but I never strongly linked it to gender.

same with me actually...my dad was an enfp and way more expressive than my infj mom. not that she wasn't or isn't loving...she's just more of a cat instead of a dog like my dad...know what i mean? she's just...more reserved...less expressive yeah...it's all very much mentally communicated...we just know the depth of emotion there but don't discuss it much haha

not that that would effect me as a woman...but i believe it has a lot to do with how i define masculinity...or gender roles in general...it was more common to see my mom do something like clean out the gutters than my dad

also...my dad was bisexual...so there's that too i guess.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Can you give an example of this??

Someone who is not afraid of big animals will be a leader during an expedition to the wilderness. Most people are afraid of their own emotions, so they gravitiate towards those who show ease with them.