• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs - but you're supposed to be empathic!

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
I used to be way more inclined to react that way, because I feel a huge sense of responsibility for the feelings of others. Now, I am usually disinclined to say something sympathetic because it is usually enabling a victim mentality. I choose to instead provide solutions or uplifting remarks, but I won't coddle anyone unless it is a situation that truly deserves coddling.

A

A_priori

I wanted to mention that a lot of the reason others may not find us to be empathetic, or we may question our own empathy has a lot to do with the fact that we have a directive style of communication. This is part of the reason why we may come across cutting ect.. I know many P,s that most likely think I lack in the empathy department but that couldn't be further from the truth "At least I don't think so".

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One reason some INFJs are seen as not empathic some of the time...is because they've played a role they observed from others around them..not being actually genuine.

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
This is interesting because I've been in many relationships with INFJs all of my life.. Romantic, business and friendships..

To ENTPs they seem empathic because they seem to shut down and listen.. but it isn't necessarily true. I've felt fooled many times because rarely have INFJs been the one to help me out of the rubble or do something about it. This would be a mistake of the highest order because calming our emotions and actually showing the fruits of labor are different. I appreciate the showing than the just purely listening.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For the record, my mom is an ISFJ and she is really fed up with this as well, as she gets thrown at her head repeatedly by my father and her inlaws in general. It can really drain your as an F, i think, when after all youve given, people still go like 'it is not enough, cant you do better????'

They dont seem to realize that Fs arent an endless supply and actually need the same back to recharge..if only minimally :shrug:

It can almost be like an addict or a junkie, demanding it, and taking it for granted as such, and getting really pissed off when the well is dry.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=16371]metalmommy[/MENTION]

My experience is that while INFJs can be accepting of all sorts of people, they have very well-defined moral/ethical parameters, and can be very fierce towards those that violate those boundaries.

The dynamic I've observed with INFJs is that they have had a real gift for being able to create a space where very different people can come together and feel at home. While it's usually the accepting quality I mentioned that brings people there, the thing that makes the whole business sustainable are those (generally unspoken) parameters the INFJ puts in place about how people will conduct themselves while in that space. People feel safe with INFJs because they know the INFJ isn't going to allow someone else to shit on them or give them a hard time while they're around.

Because ya'll are Ni-Fe as opposed to Si-Fe, you're not exactly sitting around enforcing rules like some kind of hall monitor, and are more likely to achieve a harmonious space through appealing to the best in those around you. But I've seen an INFJ throw down when someone brings some untoward bullshit into their "territory".

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Greetings to my fellow INFJs. Yes, I am a n00b... :bye: try not to hold that against me :D

Does anyone else ever get the statement from people...say, people with zero capacity for empathy...that you, as an INFJ, are supposed to have empathy so therefore, you're supposed to understand and provide the "oh, i'm so sorry!" response?

I get this frequently and it drives me insane. Yes, I understand the feelings. I understand why those feelings are there; however, that does not preclude my feeling as if said person is also an ass. Just because I get the "why" behind the feeling doesn't mean i'm inclined to provide the "poor baby, let me kiss your booboo" response.

ok, so I might not a huge feeler. *cough*

Anyone else have this issue? Or get where i'm coming from? I mean you guys are supposed to be empathetic, right?? ;)
I think a lot of people confuse empathy with permissiveness.

metalmommy

so ready
[MENTION=16371]metalmommy[/MENTION]

My experience is that while INFJs can be accepting of all sorts of people, they have very well-defined moral/ethical parameters, and can be very fierce towards those that violate those boundaries.

The dynamic I've observed with INFJs is that they have had a real gift for being able to create a space where very different people can come together and feel at home. While it's usually the accepting quality I mentioned that brings people there, the thing that makes the whole business sustainable are those (generally unspoken) parameters the INFJ puts in place about how people will conduct themselves while in that space. People feel safe with INFJs because they know the INFJ isn't going to allow someone else to shit on them or give them a hard time while they're around.

Because ya'll are Ni-Fe as opposed to Si-Fe, you're not exactly sitting around enforcing rules like some kind of hall monitor, and are more likely to achieve a harmonious space through appealing to the best in those around you. But I've seen an INFJ throw down when someone brings some untoward bullshit into their "territory".

Yes. I think this describes well what I do. I like to create harmony, to bring together disparate groups of people based on commonalities. I can understand
where almost anyone is coming from. But that does not negate me and where I am coming from. I am very fierce about what I think and how I feel. At least when I really understand how I feel.

metalmommy

so ready
One reason some INFJs are seen as not empathic some of the time...is because they've played a role they observed from others around them..not being actually genuine.

I think this is partially true. As an INFJ, I know what people want from me. I know what they want to hear, what they want me to be. It's taken me a lot of years to realize that my feelings, actions, behavior, etc. should not be dictated by this knowledge. it makes it harder for me to understand how *I* really feel. I got lost in other people and then inevitably found myself to be really unhappy. I've discovered that it's better if I focus on my thoughts, feelings, etc. first then do the empathy thing. I don't want to play a role at the expense of myself.

And? I find myself much happier just being me and using the empathy to understand how others are responding to the actual me.

Omission1234

my empathy is usually me either feeling another persons emotions somehow unintentionally. or i can in someway see their viewpoint and generally where they are coming from. it isn't hard for me to grasp where someone is coming from. how i show this differs whether its sympathy, compassion or what have you. but i always can see their viewpoints and its sometimes a curse, I'm incredibly empathetic.

scienceresearcher

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Heh, yeah that has happened but very rarely. I do understand people's feelings most of the time but there is that small population of people whom are only interested in making pity stories for themselves just to get attention and sympathy, not empathy. I typically deny them of any feelings. But for the remainder of the 99% of people, I will empathize rather quickly.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I have to say I usually see Fe as sympathetic and Fi as empathetic.