• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ti] What are your most common negative emotions / emotional reactions?

G

garbage

Preface: even the most healthy and optimistic people experience negative emotions once in a while. This ain't necessarily about neurotic people--it's about everyone who's ever been on the negative side of the emotional spectrum.. which is, well, everyone.

Nor is this necessarily about looking for advice, though we can certainly open the floor to that, too!

The most common negative emotion I experience seems to be anger, mostly manifesting as irritation or frustration.* It's not severe or chronic by any means, and I usually find ways to quickly defuse it, but it's there.

Causes? Well, sometimes...
  • I'm impatient! I know what I want, and things beyond my control get in the way.
  • It seems as though I have the answer and that same answer should be staring everyone else in the face, too.
  • It seems as though the world doesn't keep up with me.
  • It seems as though some organizational things ought to be done in a different way so that we all better meet our goals (and, if that's impossible, I would like for my goals to be met!!)
  • Control over things is psychologically pleasing but, in some situations, it's impossible.
Blammo; frustration.

Sure, when it comes to negative emotions, I experience some sadness or anxiety once in a while--but this frustration is the thing that crops up most often.

So, how about you? What gets you? Whenever you're down, how does being down express itself for you?

*of course, during my previous bouts with untreated "bipolar lite," my answer would be different.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hatred. Definitely hatred.

It usually starts as annoyance, but it gets there fast.

It's not like, hot, burning, I-want-to-beat-your-face-in hatred. It's like a slow-burning resentment that taints my interactions with certain people. It will make them get on my nerves faster and cause me to act more sarcastic around them. I try to control it, but it's often very difficult to do so. It's part of why I tend to avoid people...

It seems like almost all of my negative emotions start out as whatever they are (Annoyance, depression, disappointment, etc.), and then if there is any way for them to do so, they end up feeding my anger. I don't really understand it though.

For some reason, I actually enjoy most negative emotions... except embarrassment, that one I hate...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most common negative emotion?

Hmm... I think boredom/stagnation/getting caught up in the repetitiveness/cycles of many aspects of life can be a starting point for more negative emotions. When I spiral downwards, it usually results in general sadness/apathy/existential sort of issues and questions. Analysis loops.

The one element that has ceased to be a significant component of negative emotions is self-judgment/beating myself up. I used to be much more harsh on myself, and would sit in that self-critique/bashing place for a while. I've learned to let go of that component a lot more. It still happens, but I don't let it go the extent that I used to... I just let go of it and accept myself more easily.

**Also, I can be irritable at quite a few things. But, I don't classify that in the same way as the above, as it's much more incident-related and can quickly pass...

***Also forgot about general social anxiety, which can come and go.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sadness/Melancholy > Shame > Anger

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I often experience anger, either at myself or others.

But I prefer anger to my normal state which is one of a person right on the brink of a great hole....full of anxious tension; always just about to tip over.

So basically it's just a nice switch between those two.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Apathy, usually it's employed as a weapon to banish self-loathing, which is worse.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fear and anxiety.

Fear that I might not be good enough, that I might fail at a specific task or - more often - at life in general. Fear that I might soon die poor and lonely under a bridge.

Being a freelancer with no financial security probably doesn't help here. :coffee:

Aggression or hatred has never been an issue, on the contrary, I have been told by a professional that I should grow some balls and become a bit more bitchy at times ...for my own good.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Melancholy, anger, frustration, sadness/ loneliness, fear, anxiety.

Tendency to spiral into a negative thought loop, where I fear the absolute worst outcome, to the point it consumes me into blackness, a deep emotional abyss. Then there's the anger/frustration involved, where I feel like I want to throw something, get reckless. Temperamental moments at best.

Life as an e-4.... happy happy joy joy. ;)

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Humiliation

W

WhoCares

I wouldn't have bothered answering in this thread because I'm an NT type, but its curious how much I align with the OP. By far frustration is my most common negative emotion. I feel it because I'm out of patience with....

People not being grown up enough to be self directed. I am constantly having to prompt other people to do the things they know they need to do. Just get in with it already, don't wait for a personal invitation from me.

Things would be so much easier if we did this.....so why the hell are we doing that? And wtf does it take a committee and 6 months to just to decide this would be a better way?

To me, the answers often seem simple but this whole death by committee thing keeps everyone in a perpetual loop of ineffectiveness. Someone just make a freakin decision please!

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Something like... Pessimism > Nervousness > Frustration > Insecurity > Anxiety > Aloofness > Self-loathing > Cynicism, I guess?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
indignation, repulsion/disgust, dissatisfaction, scorn, resentment. I feel a frequent desire to punish and make things right when the world doesn't live up to my expectations and demands.
^this is probably not the most healthy state of mind to be in, though I can say it's a lot less severe than it was even a few months ago. best to look on the bright side I guess. progress is progress :laugh:

G

garbage

Cool stuff.

I'll also say that I used to experience a lot of anxiety and self-doubt, especially as my career had just started to veer toward
Being a freelancer
territory. Questions such as--"Am I actually putting in enough effort?" arose a lot, and there were feelings that whatever external validation I received about my 'hard work' were temporary and that it could come crashing down.

Good ol' anxiety. When I'm faced with a decision, I place myself in "wait and see" mode for just a lil' while, focus on a choice that seems right, and ask myself what the worst that can happen actually is. That "worst" usually isn't as bad as we think, but sometimes we just plain don't want to look at it.

With that in mind, I weigh and analyze my various options pretty heavily, but I barely feel the anxiety. Now, I accept and appreciate my flexibility and day-by-day 'blank slate,' and I've moved on to other neuroses ;)
I wouldn't have bothered answering in this thread because I'm an NT type
Yeah, I wasn't sure where to put this--I figured that the NFs would be most interested in this subject, but, yeah, it's open to everyone. I rarely post in the type-related forums, but here we are.
, but its curious how much I align with the OP. By far frustration is my most common negative emotion. I feel it because I'm out of patience with....

People not being grown up enough to be self directed. I am constantly having to prompt other people to do the things they know they need to do. Just get in with it already, don't wait for a personal invitation from me.

Things would be so much easier if we did this.....so why the hell are we doing that? And wtf does it take a committee and 6 months to just to decide this would be a better way?

To me, the answers often seem simple but this whole death by committee thing keeps everyone in a perpetual loop of ineffectiveness. Someone just make a freakin decision please!
Yeah, I agree. Sometimes, we just gotta confront situations, 'man up,' and do what we need to do.

Work expands to fill the time that we've allotted for it. Sometimes, we allot way too much time--and, with a lil' bit of trimming, we can just get things out of the way, focus on the important aspects, and move on with our lives!

And sometimes, someone needs to step up, be a leader, and make decisions. Leaders of small groups tend to emerge from those groups, and, often, they're not the same as those who were actually appointed to the position.

progress is progress :laugh:
:cheers:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't have bothered answering in this thread because I'm an NT type, but its curious how much I align with the OP. By far frustration is my most common negative emotion. I feel it because I'm out of patience with....

I agree completely. Irritation, frustration, and more extremely, anger are my most common negative emotions. I generally do well at containing their expression, at least around others, but I definitely feel them. I also experience anxiety sometimes when I am waiting for things to fall into place; when I have done everything within my control, and just have to wait for the outcome.

Impact Calculus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Anger then agitation then melancholy and guilt is a common pattern for me under negative circumstances.

I actually fit pretty well with the respective temperament for my MBTI type. Although, that of keirsey, especially, is way overblown. Imo it is, anyway.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Frustration and anxiety are probably the most prevalent.

Anger would be next which I try to keep well under control.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Wow... take your pick.

Anxiety, self-loathing, anger, irritation, hopelessness, loneliness, sadness, melancholy, guilt, shame, on and on..

I suppose the emotion that I feel most frequently might be irritation. I am constantly irritated by people. This leads to anger usually.

G

garbage

Geez. This whole "irritation" thing that many of us go through might be worth a thread itself!

:popc1:

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Geez. This whole "irritation" thing that many of us go through might be worth a thread itself!

:popc1:

I don't know about you, but I'd get too irritated just thinking about what I get irritated about.