• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Rejection of Formerly-held Fi Values

gromit

likes this
Not just for NFPs, but for anyone.

Are your Fi values more or less constant throughout your life? Have you ever ended up rejecting one of your Fi values that you had formerly held? Seems more common that they gradually evolve and refine rather than change completely. However, if you've ever gone totally from one value to another, maybe say from believing one thing to be important to believing the opposite to be important instead, describe the situation and the process, to the extent possible.

wolfy

awsm
I really don't know enough about my values to tell you.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My values have definitely changed over my lifetime. Events shape them, people shape them, experiences shape them, etc.

Edit: Mostly they have been refined or have evolved, as others have said, but a few have been downright dropped or reversed.

Beorn

Permabanned
Mostly they have evolved and been refined over the years. Any perceived reversals are more likely superficial or due to a change in application of my core values as a result of learning about practical realities.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm still working on identifying my Fi values, but as far as I can tell I've never reversed or changed them. It's surprising to me, because I've had a lot of upheaval in my beliefs. But even so, the core remains. I think. What does seem to change is finding better ways of upholding them.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have had some fairly big changes in Fi values. This usually occurs because I am introduced to some new information that shows an entirely different picture than what I was holding onto. It's happened quite a bit, but not typically with core values.

Recently one of the values I hold has been challenged an awfully lot... situations of conflict I have experienced or observed that boil down to rugged individualism vs awareness of social norms. I have started to feel very strongly that these two aspects need to be balanced.. and that while someone should be able to do, think, feel and behave however they'd like there is a certain amount of consideration they should have for their fellow beings. There is alot of Fe that is starting to make sense to me.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find mine...evolve, the more insight I gain into life. Things that I once reacted to in a volatile way suddenly become clearer and it suddenly dawns on me that a fear was causing the reaction, not a value as such. A self-defense mechanism as such which I mistook as a value. I prefer it when my 'values' are based on personal importance, not fear. When it comes to values themselves, I find that they gain more shades of grey as I grow older. And I do welcome that, as it enriches my views on life itself.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know someone who's Fi core values have changed through a third party's intended brainwashing. He has succumbed himself to constant trouble and does not currently wish to look the way he used to see things. A defense mechanism was put in place to protect the newly found values to any alterations. He has unknowingly joined a cult and cannot see it no matter the evidence.

gromit

likes this
I know someone who's Fi core values have changed through a third party's intended brainwashing. He has succumbed himself to constant trouble and does not currently wish to look the way he used to see things. A defense mechanism was put in place to protect the newly found values to any alterations. He has unknowingly joined a cult and cannot see it no matter the evidence.

:thumbdown:

gromit

likes this
I have had some fairly big changes in Fi values. This usually occurs because I am introduced to some new information that shows an entirely different picture than what I was holding onto. It's happened quite a bit, but not typically with core values.

Recently one of the values I hold has been challenged an awfully lot... situations of conflict I have experienced or observed that boil down to rugged individualism vs awareness of social norms. I have started to feel very strongly that these two aspects need to be balanced.. and that while someone should be able to do, think, feel and behave however they'd like there is a certain amount of consideration they should have for their fellow beings. There is alot of Fe that is starting to make sense to me.
You used to feel strongly that one was more important, now you feel that both are important? This seems to be how things have changed for me too. But I don't know that I have gone from valuing one thing to its opposite. Just from one side to a more balance between two sides.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I dont feel like mine have changed. They've clearly experienced some being trampled on, but I havent really left any behind. With that said, I've either refined some, or refined how they get applied. If anything, many of mine from long ago are still held, but held more deeply or at some deeper level or perspective.

Lark

Wait, this is not the unwritten rules thread, how did this happen. Is a mod trick me thinks.

G

garbage

I like to try out a variety of ideas, lifestyles, and mentalities on for size--it's a way to 'test' principles. The good ones get solidified, refined, and confirmed; the 'bad' ones get ditched. Often, the details of a belief get cast aside, but the core remains.

For example, a person may have identified with some particular political movement at some point in time and espoused its virtues. Over time, he was attracted to another political movement that had seemingly opposing ideals. This could very well be because he valued one particular general principle (e.g. freedom of personal choice and liberty) all along, but life experience taught him to refine the nuances and assumptions that he'd attached to that core value--and, as such, he found the same ideal better incorporated in a different political movement.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. Change as in refinement.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm still working on identifying my Fi values, but as far as I can tell I've never reversed or changed them. It's surprising to me, because I've had a lot of upheaval in my beliefs. But even so, the core remains. I think. What does seem to change is finding better ways of upholding them.
This. Also, I went though some periods of discovering or coming to understand my values, but it was clear in this process that I always had them somwhere. I had never espoused the opposite, just perhaps hadn't considered that particular issue before.