• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Fi communication and “evil” TPs

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Would it be fair to say it's a matter of Fi valuing some 'ideal' for the group, whereas Fe will value something more practical and based on what the group wants (at least in the immediate sense, I think FJs will tend to want to refine that to an ideal on their own/in retrospect in anticipation of ‘next time’- but want to use immediate group ‘wants’ as a springboard for implementing resolution and FPs will want to dive into 'ideal' particulars right then-and-there without feeling that same pressure to have an immediate resolution to set in place). Because it's a theoretical 'ideal' existing in one or so people and not what actually exists in the social group (even if it 'theoretically' applies to more than that single person/few people), it can seem like MacGuffin described.

I can see it working this way with Ti too, and see how TJs get frustrated with it. Any extreme is going to be annoying (Je not willing to take in any of the theoretical ideal particulars at all, or Ji being die hard convinced it’s “best” when really it’s just a solipsistic tangent that’s too far removed from shared reality to be useful).
Interesting. I think you may be right. Perhaps it could be said: Fe tries to give the group what (it believes) they want and Fi tries to give the group what (it believes) they need - or is that overstating it? :thinking:

If this is right, it could explain some things. Because it shoots straight for the ideal, Fi could give out a pushy, self-righteous, "I know what is best for you" sort of vibe to Fe; and because it believes in allowing the ideal to refine/evolve/unfold naturally, Fe could exude a short-sighted, plodding, head-buried-in-the-sand sense to Fi. These are exaggerations to be sure, but are possibly revealling. In a way it could feel like Fi is attempting to force things in an unnatural and disruptive manner.

And as you said this works in a similar way with Ti-Te. So to take it further:

Fi/Ti - force the issue/ideal and let the resolution unfold
Fe/Te - force the resolution and let the issue/ideal unfold

Maybe? :shrug:

Sorry, I've gone on a Ne bender here... :blush:

KDude

I can't think of many situations where I gave into a group's "wants". I've raised issues that I thought it needed. For example, even if I consider myself detached from the group, I dislike it if someone is getting left behind or gets the short end of the stick. People might be riding en masse to a vacation spot or party, but they all try to leave this one girl or guy in the dust.. maybe they all conspire to drive faster and try to lose them on the way. I think it's a bitch move, might not even know that person either.. but I'll slow my car so they can keep pace. The same might apply in something as simple as giving candy to kids. They all need to share equally.

I don't have many sophisticated examples of "group dynamics".. I'm mostly solitary, so take that as you will.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ those are the key ideas right there, probably.

I'd be betting the first point about the consistency is right, and at the same time not a problem for them. Not because they ignore the logic, but because the logic they use includes an automatic and important distinction between intention and expression of intention. Te/Fi: actions and processes in the outside world are not inherently moral items; the moral locus is inside the persons who guide those actions and processes. It follows that actions can't, or shouldn't, be inconsistent with personal principle, but they can, and maybe even should, be wildly inconsistent with norms and standards and conventions. That's to say, actions really don't establish principle. That might even be itself a principle.

The second point about appreciating principle in reciprocity--well, I'm probably going to misunderstand the point because I'm only really focusing on this word "reciprocity". It seems key, and I think maybe the logic of Te/Fi doesn't accord much value to reciprocity per se. Universalisability of action is probably more recognisable under that regime. You look inside for moral authority, and you make efforts to consider what would come to pass if everyone really did act in the way you want to now, but you're not less moral if what you choose is lacking in external system.

Thats an excellent way of explaining Fi thought processes. An Fi user is his or her own check and balance. What happens when everyone but the Fi user sees this? Granted, there is such thing as consensus and there comes a point when, to use my prior example of the ISFP, the consensus of her co-workers is that she does have a double standard. Does Fi just ignore this? How do you get an Fi Dom to see this?

Can't tell if a trap or--

How does anyone ever know what ninja ISTPs are really thinking? Are there ever lines that people will know about when they cross them?

Lol. I'm more defense oriented. Its most times easier to extricate myself from the equation than worth the trouble of letting anyone know when they've crossed a line with me. I make a mental note and move on. Exception to that is when you've crossed a line and keep going. Then you get the equivalent of this guy ---

:sage: with a shotgun saying "git offa mah land!"

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm, that's what it seemed like to you? I don't know that we read it the same way. I said I disliked autoplay, but never meant my comment to be taken seriously, nor do I think it important to change the set up. I wonder now if that's how it came off. I certainly don't think it should be changed if the majority of people like it or don't mind it.

I think there are several wires getting crossed here. Sometimes Fe-users hear dissent as an attempt to bring everything down, when Fi-users just want to explore the full picture. Sometimes what Fi-user deems as merely expressing an opinion, Fe-users see as a call to action. Perhaps we Fi-users don't always foresee the impact of communicating an personal view and that it might undermine things for everyone. From our perspective more voices and more information are preferable, as it helps to clarify and determine what action to take. Perhaps one individual may express a strong dislike for the autoplay, without necessarily believing the best thing would be to change it - that person may simply not like it and wants people to know that, and isn't demanding everyone to drop everything and run around to please him/her. The strength of the opinion does not necessarily reflect the level of expectation that it should be valued above others.

Are you a communist?

I'm just kidding, but that's where the level of discourse went in that thread.

Sometimes opinions are needed to be heard, and other times it gets old quickly. Esp. when the proposed course of action has already taken into consideration those opinions and determined that other things trump the desires of a few individuals. There are many things that bother me or annoy me, but I don't really talk about them because it's just a personal issue. When that personal annoyance lines up with a larger problem is when I speak up (otherwise I just save it for a one time rant).

...as for the INTPs who indicated that they dont care about causing discomfort and even harm to others since they (according to them) stayed in the 'appropriate' boundaries of the social contract...That to me is about as selfish as Fi-users who deliberately destroy the harmony or the common goal that the group they are in is holding dear, just for individual expression.

There are two kinds of situations where an INTP will be within the bounds of appropriate communication and not care about discomfort caused. I should also note that I have a hard time seeing how one could cause actual "harm" to another person without disregarding social convention (insults for example). But I'm willing to allow this could happen.

1) The "eh, not my problem" situation. This is where the INTP is appropriate and another takes offense because they are overly sensitive by what was said or the issue. Then the blame lies on the overly sensitive person and their own overreaction to what was said. The INTP could be a little sorry they caused that if they like the other person. But that mostly results in the non-apology-apology: "sorry you were offended" rather than sorry the INTP said/wrote what they did.

2) A bigger issue. Sometimes the INTP is after a truth or exposure of hypocrisy and will go after a person(s) to reveal this. This is a clash of values: the INTP values the truth, the other person values emotional reaction caused. This can make the INTP seem like a sociopath to the other person. As a type 9, I should be bothered by this category, but it often doesn't bother me. The other person can simply disengage.

Thoughts?

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are two kinds of situations where an INTP will be within the bounds of appropriate communication and not care about discomfort caused.

I think there are two sub-types of this situation when emotional tone of the language used is the trigger. One sub-type is when word choice is consciously chosen in order to be provocative (more common in ENTPs, but definitely happens with INTPs). Another is when actual emotional content bleeds through, and the INTP gets called on it as such. Disagreement about all aspects (emotional content of word choice, is said content provocative/rude/hurtful, does word choice say anything about the intent of INTP in question, why is the reader so oversensitive and perhaps would therapy help since the lobotomy the reader had clearly didn't, and does it even matter if explicit statement was correct) ensues. Good times.

I should also note that I have a hard time seeing how one could cause actual "harm" to another person without disregarding social convention (insults for example). But I'm willing to allow this could happen.

Clearly you didn't grow up in the South. It's totally possible to eviscerate someone politely, with a smile on your face and in a sweet tone of voice. Sometimes these eviscerations begin with "Well bless her heart..."

KDude

Seriously though, fuck all of this back and forth about "evil intents" and evil words. It's what people do that matters (and admittedly, I've been guilty of that, but my point is... there are a lot of worse things in the world to gripe about than "sarcasm" and accidentally inconsiderate ways to speak... or something. Come on now).

edit: And before it sounds like I don't care, believe me I've tried. It's like walking on a highwire, having to worry about how things come across.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fe is about what the social space at whatever level of specificity/generality should be like in order to be mutually beneficial. Fi is about what experiences--stories--teach us about the consequences of our actions for other individuals. it's much more golden rule. whereas Fe is more like making a deliberate social investment in building good social spaces for the social fabrics you identify with.

all types have their moments when they stop really *listening* to themselves and others. and that's when the difference in assumptions really get in the way. it's not like any of us are going around communicating in a way that is not trying to make things happen. that would be a horrendous fate if it were the case. we just build our identifications with others in different ways. and it is useful to realize that people can be sensitive when you try to take over their story (which, has happened to me far more with np types than other types), and they don't like when you take over their *meaning* (ah boxes and socially pejorative indices!), which nj types can tend to do. it's not surprising that nj types, with their more hierarchical, systems focus, seem to enjoy argument much more than np types. who seem to almost always prefer narrative.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have noticed issues with Fi users (this post is geared toward the two I know very well) but it stems from what I view as their ability to use the double standard with impunity.

With NFP's it's the big picture scale. One I know, steals from the job he works for yet is very verbal about the injustices of the Republican Party. Umm. Huh? The ISFP I know, takes shortcuts, leaves her job for others to finish but will be shocked (shocked!) when others do the same to her. An ENFP friend, who regularly uses guys for money, tried to pull that with a good friend of mine and when my friend saw through her she got upset and bad mouthed him to me. To me, I thought that took some nerve but she was offended by him!

I don't know if this is too specific but these qualities usually leave me amazed at their shortsightedness or hypocrisy. A lot of Fi shows itself - at it's worst - this way. If I detect these, then I lose respect for these people and probably will be a bit dismissive because I don't trust them. I never call people stupid but I will throw some eyerolls around.

Also, I know most Fi users don't do these extreme morally questionable things but I used the extreme to show examples of more nuanced "issues" that are harder to peg down.

Yes, I know several Fi users like this. Makes you wonder what Fi values really are and what they stand for being that Fi is preached so much as values. Sometimes I think they just want to feel inside and this is a way they can do it.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Seriously though, fuck all of this back and forth about "evil intents" and evil words. It's what people do that matters (and admittedly, I've been guilty of that, but my point is... there are a lot of worse things in the world to gripe about than "sarcasm" and accidentally inconsiderate ways to speak... or something. Come on now).

edit: And before it sounds like I don't care, believe me I've tried. It's like walking on a highwire, having to worry about how things come across.

I have to agree with you. You do your best to get along, but in the end it's just too taxing to worry about being inoffensive to everyone. Even the best of us will say or do something totally inappropriate at times.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Thats an excellent way of explaining Fi thought processes. An Fi user is his or her own check and balance. What happens when everyone but the Fi user sees this? Granted, there is such thing as consensus and there comes a point when, to use my prior example of the ISFP, the consensus of her co-workers is that she does have a double standard. Does Fi just ignore this?

It might well do. The moral locus is inside so an assessment of what counts as good and bad universalisability is probably different. But also there's the imperfectness of the logic system as represented inside a person to consider. Ideally we all determine how we feel on the inside, then determine what implication this has as an item of consideration within a wider world, then reconsider what we feel in light of these implications, either rejecting the outer implications as significant or re-evaluating the significance of the feeling, and then we choose an action. This kind of perfect consciousness probably never exists though. Every person will consciously rely more heavily on one side of the determination rather than the other.

This raises a pair of interesting system questions. The first is whether or not Fi and Te are adequate stand-ins for one another. That is, if a person is paying close attention to their inner feeling, are they genuinely ignoring outer generalisation or is it automatically included as an unconscious part of the structure of their feeling assessment? According to Jung, it's the latter, and I guess this means you can usually talk to Fi people about universalisability of their decisions *if* you avoid implying that the feeling is misplaced. You can--possibly, maybe--join in with them on assessing non-moral consequences *if* you allow that the feeling is the feeling and it's going to be part of the landscape whether you like it or not.

The second interesting system question is about the compatibility of the two logics. In real people the Ti/Fe and Fi/Te logics seem always to end up in different places. But do they have to? Suppose there were two people, both perfectly conscious, both ideally and fully able to access and operate the two aspects of their different judgment systems. What differences would we see in their final decisions? Would we see any differences?

I think over time the systems may converge.

But I don't know.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I know several Fi users like this. Makes you wonder what Fi values really are and what they stand for being that Fi is preached so much as values. Sometimes I think they just want to feel inside and this is a way they can do it.

After reading this thread, I agree. "Fi values" doesn't fit. I want to change that to "Fi whims". There is no consistency with whims. It would be easier to grasp Fi.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
The easiest way to grasp Fi, and be horrified at the consequences, is consider how you develop truths. Whatever activity or cognition you would normally write up as "think", reconsider as "feel". It doesn't show everything specific to Fi, but it does seem to indicate something of the process.

The really super consequence of this program, a little deeper down, is whatever aspect of Fe you want respected by others will have some direct correlate in Te. In other words, if Fe really is better at producing a value system, Te really is better at truth.

(Okay, fine. "If Fe really is better at determining effective and valuable social systems, then Te really is better at determining and representing the objective mechanisms of anything that just does operate.")

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The easiest way to grasp Fi, and be horrified at the consequences, is consider how you develop truths. Whatever activity or cognition you would normally write up as "think", reconsider as "feel". It doesn't show everything specific to Fi, but it does seem to indicate something of the process.

The really super consequence of this program, a little deeper down, is whatever aspect of Fe you want respected by others will have some direct correlate in Te. In other words, if Fe really is better at producing a value system, Te really is better at truth.

(Okay, fine. "If Fe really is better at determining effective and valuable social systems, then Te really is better at determining and representing the objective mechanisms of anything that just does operate.")

I know Fi within myself, I repress it as a judgement, always have even since I was a little, never been in a position where I can use it for much. Hopefully one day I can, but until then i am stuck with Ti. I grew up in a house full of Fi. I can tell you truth is not driven by a function. What I see as truth is just a conglomeration of honest and open as opposed to lies and deciet. I dont even try to figure out the truth most of the time because the things people say or talk about I dont really even care about. Whether its a lie or not doesnt mean jack to me. When I get interested I will do my own research because I know myself, I know what my wants are, what I am good at, what I can accomplish, etc.

I already know why Fi is seen as values, I understand why completely. I even know what makes Ti values just as much as Fi. Fi is internal truths just as much as Ti is internal truths. Some people try to tie Fi into things that is not just as they do with Ti. Like its some mystical thing. Intuition is raised up even more then Fi is. I dont understand how Fi is used to the extent that it is as I have used it very little in life for anything other then truth of myself. It doesnt steer me like my Ti does as I dont trust being steered by it and I have a love hate relationship with my Fe.

Te and Fe are external truths, but I dont really care about external truths most of the time. To bring in my marriage, my ex had made a comment that I would leave her because she was my first girl friend and I hadnt experienced anyone else. Well, I left my marriage, I wasnt happy. To her what she said is the truth(she is ENFJ)...to me the truth is that I died inside because her focus was everywhere else. So in a way she is right, but they way I see it is if she would have actually shifted her focus I would still be married.

I can take the same thing with MBTI and external truths vs internal truths.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I know Fi within myself, I repress it as a judgement, always have even since I was a little, never been in a position where I can use it for much. Hopefully one day I can, but until then i am stuck with Ti. I grew up in a house full of Fi. I can tell you truth is not driven by a function. What I see as truth is just a conglomeration of honest and open as opposed to lies and deciet. I dont even try to figure out the truth most of the time because the things people say or talk about I dont really even care about. Whether its a lie or not doesnt mean jack to me. When I get interested I will do my own research because I know myself, I know what my wants are, what I am good at, what I can accomplish, etc.

I already know why Fi is seen as values, I understand why completely. I even know what makes Ti values just as much as Fi. Fi is internal truths just as much as Ti is internal truths. Some people try to tie Fi into things that is not just as they do with Ti. Like its some mystical thing. Intuition is raised up even more then Fi is. I dont understand how Fi is used to the extent that it is as I have used it very little in life for anything other then truth of myself. It doesnt steer me like my Ti does as I dont trust being steered by it and I have a love hate relationship with my Fe.

Maybe the extra thing with Fi (and Fe) is they're affective. They are, presumably, a bitch to ignore. Subjective, objective, adequate, inadequate, appropriate or outstandingly selfish... it's all hard to assert out of existence. (Which is interesting and alarming as an idea when talking about unconscious F, but whatever.)

I assume value system arise as motivated decisions, and I do wonder if they are not at heart quite primitive avoidance of pain or dissonance but I'm getting right into Victor territory here and that causes pain.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe the extra thing with Fi (and Fe) is they're affective. They are, presumably, a bitch to ignore. Subjective, objective, adequate, inadequate, appropriate or outstandingly selfish... it's all hard to assert out of existence. (Which is interesting and alarming as an idea when talking about unconscious F, but whatever.)

I assume value system arise as motivated decisions, and I do wonder if they are not at heart quite primitive avoidance of pain or dissonance but I'm getting right into Victor territory here and that causes pain.

LMAO in regard to bolded. I think we all learn to repress different things and by the time we are aware its already been done and no longer a bitch.

Yes they are effective and have there place just as Ti and Te do. I have nothing against Fi, I just dont like when its forced upon others. Its more certain uses that bother me, not the function itself.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thats an excellent way of explaining Fi thought processes. An Fi user is his or her own check and balance. What happens when everyone but the Fi user sees this? Granted, there is such thing as consensus and there comes a point when, to use my prior example of the ISFP, the consensus of her co-workers is that she does have a double standard. Does Fi just ignore this? How do you get an Fi Dom to see this?
This is certainly a danger for Fi because everything is internally verified. We put little stock in the group consensus because we think it can be so easily corrupted (not that we ignore that consensus entirely).

I can't speak for other Fi users, but I am committed to avoiding hypocrisy. This doesn't mean I always do, but I am always testing (theoretically or practically) a value or truth I ascribe to, in order to see if it works in all situations or if other actions/values contradict it. Perhaps your friends haven't developed their Si and Te sufficiently, and can't (or won't) hear your reasoning. Sometimes Fi-users ascribe to a truth/value and then in their hubris, lay back thinking that's good enough; not fully realising, or forgetting, that Fi requires constant vigilance and re-evaluation for it to work effectively.

This doesn't mean Fi-users are stubbornly unreachable. Fi doms are known to be good listeners and are among the most open-minded types. Sometimes it's just a matter of putting things in the right words or context that it makes the information really click. See, like Ti Doms, we don't just take people's word for it; we have to see how those pieces can fit together based on our internal logic before we can properly accept it.

Are you a communist?

I'm just kidding, but that's where the level of discourse went in that thread.

Sometimes opinions are needed to be heard, and other times it gets old quickly. Esp. when the proposed course of action has already taken into consideration those opinions and determined that other things trump the desires of a few individuals. There are many things that bother me or annoy me, but I don't really talk about them because it's just a personal issue. When that personal annoyance lines up with a larger problem is when I speak up (otherwise I just save it for a one time rant).
Oh, I know what you mean. I also tired of too much pointless waffle. For me, it has to be meaningful discussion. If it starts going in circles or veers into ridiculous tangents, I start mentally wandering. The thing is, different people have different ideas about what's meaningful...

I guess, perhaps for the NFPs anyway, we don't really distinguish between personal issues and larger problems. That's not to say we imagine our personal issues are large problems, it's just that we think a problem is a problem; no matter how big or trivial it is, it's still something on our mind worth exploring. Also, sometimes we like to talk about it simply because it's nice to have something you think or feel be affirmed and reflected in another. You know, this sort of thing:

Person A: "I find X irritating."
Person B: "You do? So do I! I was just thinking yesterday how annoying it is."
Person A: "Really? I thought I was the only one who noticed."

In the scheme of things, X might not be annoying on the same level as your car breaking down or having your wallet stolen but that's not really the point. It's more about a sense of connection and commonality. With FPs (again, maybe NFPs in particular), we often like to demonstrate empathy through talking about our own experiences in a similar situation, to show others they're not alone or just to not feel so alone ourselves.

And like I said, often it's just talk for the sake of it - it's not necessarily a demand that something should be changed. I do understand your point that people shouldn't complain unless it's important, though. I suppose people see this as a place to discuss things, even the trivial kind, and they can get a bit carried away. 'White people's problems', you know... ;)

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

In terms of how someone develops truth it's all subjective. I suppose I read truth as inherent in consistency of action. It has nothing to do with good or evil, dishonesty or honesty. In fact, I believe morally corrupt people are often truthful people. At least, they have a consistency between their actions and belief system.

My confusion with Fi has mostly stemmed from this belief. Adding the word 'values' only confused me more. But this thread has helped and [MENTION=5731]Kalach[/MENTION]'s posts too. If I think of Fi as separate from a consistency of values it makes much more sense. If it is truely like Ti, then you can't pursuade Fi users. They have to figure it out on their own. This I understand. Which, and I'm thinking aloud, is why Fi users stalemate with Fe ones. Because the strength and weakness of Fe is that it can be pursuaded.