• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Communicating between Fe and Fi

heart

heart on fire
protean said:
And I'm limiting my comments to what I see on the forum, because this isn't even an issue in my real life.

That is fortunate for you. I have had issues with being distrusted by Fe doms and my not knowing how to speak their language my whole life (that's something BW hit right on the head) and they are everwhere in abundance so not understanding them can be a sort of handicap in this world. This forum is the only place where the issue is discussed in any type of detail. That could be why it seems to be perhaps overdiscussed.

I have been so frustrated with the "why aren't you smiling" and "why won't you open up and let us help you" stuff at jobs where I had no wish to offend or insult anyone and yet just being myself was an affront.

I find BW's work here very helpful to understand that these people weren't being purposely invasive and pushy, they really could not help feeling or acting in these ways. That makes it a lot easier to have some sort of understanding or empathy for why they would chose to create conflict instead of simply leaving me alone as I so badly wished them to and tried to find tactful ways of letting them know.

The anger and frustration that they often displayed over something as trvial as the smile issue puzzled me. Now it does not so much. They need external reassurance to feel like everything is okay? Well, that is hard for me to fathom but I can try harder if the truth can be talked about openly.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
That is fortunate for you. I have had issues with being distrusted by Fe doms and my not knowing how to speak their language my whole life (that's something BW hit right on the head) and they are everwhere in abundance so not understanding them can be a sort of handicap in this world. This forum is the only place where the issue is discussed in any type of detail. That could be why it seems to be perhaps overdiscussed.

I have been so frustrated with the "why aren't you smiling" and "why won't you open up and let us help you" stuff at jobs where I had no wish to offend or insult anyone and yet just being myself was an affront.

I find BW's work here very helpful to understand that these people weren't being purposely invasive and pushy, they really could not help feeling or acting in these ways. That makes it a lot easier to have some sort of understanding or empathy for why they would chose to create conflict instead of simply leaving me alone as I so badly wished them to and tried to find tactful ways of letting them know.

The anger and frustration that they often displayed over something as trvial as the smile issue puzzled me. Now it does not so much. They need external reassurance to feel like everything is okay? Well, that is hard for me to fathom but I can try harder if the truth can be talked about openly.

I really don't think a smile is all that trivial. A smile means so many things and it's a universal symbol of goodwill. Just like athenian brought up the point of using dollar signs and decimals, is a smile not one of those universal symbols of emotion or feeling? What does a smile mean to you? Hopefully it's not simply drawing your lips back. I will be honest with you and say that if I spoke to you and you looked at me and said nothing, I wouldn't think very much of you. Many things would fire through my head: did I do something to her? is she mad at me about something? why did she react that way?

It also greatly depends on our relationship. If I know that's just the way you are and you're naturally a reserved person I wouldn't necessarily think much of it. I don't know how to say this without sounding like you have to smile at people because I don't walk around like a smiling idiot, but I've built up enough credibility with people that it's OK if I slip. I don't feel like every transaction I have with people needs to be deep and meaningful and oftentimes a smile is just a simple, "I acknowledge your existence."

heart, I don't mean to be offensive but what's your body language like and in what ways do you show that while you're not comfortable being as effusive as they are you're not against them? If the EFJs you work with feel like they've tried to be friendly towards you but they perceive/think their efforts of creating a bridge are rebuffed do you think they're completely unjustified in what conclusions they've drawn? Have you spoken to them about this? No one should force their "niceness" on you, but there are some basic transactions that need to occur between people so that they don't get the wrong idea. When communicating with people, it's so easy to get the wrong idea and to run wild with it. Smiling is one of those basic things to keep people from getting the wrong idea. It's just like in the animal world to show you're not about to attack you expose your neck and outstretch your palms. Those things communicate to people that you mean no harm. These are typically very small gestures that can save you a lot of grief in the long run.

If I see someone with a cast on their arm, can I correctly assume they've broken an arm? I'm not saying you should walk around with a smile plastered on your face but sometimes a smile well get people the hell off your case. Maybe you're throwing out body language that looks downcast and sullen and the EFJs of your acquaintance are reacting to that, just as you would assume someone with a cast has broken a bone. Do you think their efforts to "mend your broken bone" are insincere? Also, if they've made several attempts to be on friendly terms with you, maybe they really like you and keep trying hoping that one day you'll take them up on that offer to go to lunch or to a BBQ or something.

If they go a step further and ask you what's wrong to get confirmation of what they sense (accurately or inaccurately) is wrong, how else would you propose going about it? If I see someone crying, ask why and they say "I just won 1M dollars!" then I know those are tears of joy. If I see someone crying and I ask what's wrong and they say, "My husband just died," how would I know the difference between those two types of tears unless I ask? Furthermore, if I think my attempts to clarify what I perceive as unnecessary coldness coming from another person is met with resentment and I have no clue why this resentment began I'm at a loss. I'm not one of those people that think I can psychically intuit why a person is feeling the way they are.

So let's do this scenario: you're a coworker of mine who I don't work with directly but we see each other on a daily basis. We've bumped into each other in the bathroom, the elevator and once sat together at lunch because there were no other empty tables available. One day after work, I'm walking to my car and I see you walking to your car. I say "Good Night!" and you look at me and turn away without saying a word. I think (and I'm going to be bluntly honest here):

1. Did you hear me?

2. I try to remember all of our transactions together and if I did/said something to cause offense. At this point, I do think we've had enough transactions together to not be strangers so if I say good night I think it's fair for me to expect you to say good night back. I don't expect a long intimate conversation, but I do expect my existence to be acknowledged, especially when I speak to you directly.

3. I try again. If I see you at some point in the near future I'll purposely say hello or start a small conversation and watch your response. I'll say something like, "hey, I saw you going to you car on such and such night. I hope your commute isn't as bad as mine!" I do this to see if you in fact did hear me and also to see if I can pick up any animosity coming from you towards me. If I sense nothing then I just come out with it, "yeah I said hello but maybe you didn't hear me?" You can either confirm or deny not hearing me.

But really, I know that you saw me because we made eye contact. If you say you didn't see me then I know you're a liar and I don't have anymore dealings with you. I walk past you and ignore you and you're non-existent to me. With me, you wouldn't have to worry about me asking what's wrong cause I wouldn't care.

If you did in fact see me, but say, "yeah, I'm sorry about that. I was having a rough day and just wanted to get home," I'd leave you alone and chalk it up to that. We all have off days and sometimes we're so lost in thought and don't see someone even if we look directly at them.

I want to reiterate how important it is to communicate. If you are asked directly about something then why not give a brief but direct answer?

It basically comes down to how much you want these women off your case. This is where my Fe comes in when it comes to self-preservation. I'm willing to sit with people I don't like at lunch once or twice or month just to keep larger issues of resentment and animosity from flaring up. I'm willing to bite my tongue about certain issues until I feel like I have a strong enough case to topple it. I'm willing to conceded smaller things when it comes to other people to ensure at the very least my comfort. I don't view giving up a few lunches or chatting with someone as any great losses so I'm willing to sacrifice them for my greater good.

If you're unwilling to do that or your attempts to do that are met with resistance then you can't change your coworker's maturity level. But once again, and I'm not trying to be offensive but I have a hard time believing that every EFJ you've come into contact with has behaved in a totally immature fashion. Are you sure some of this could not be controlled by monitoring your reactions to these people?

Last edited:

heart

heart on fire
Differences between Fe and Fi

I really don't think a smile is all that trivial. A smile means so many things and it's a universal symbol of goodwill. Just like athenian brought up the point of using dollar signs and decimals, is a smile not one of those universal symbols of emotion or feeling? What does a smile mean to you? Hopefully it's not simply drawing your lips back. I will be honest with you and say that if I spoke to you and you looked at me and said nothing, I wouldn't think very much of you. Many things would fire through my head: did I do something to her? is she mad at me about something? why did she react that way?

First off, I don't cut people direct. There is a difference between ignoring someone and what some people seem to expect. My profile pic is an example of my typical smile for social things if I am not really feeling true joy. I don't tend to smile toothily often. My avatar reflects a typical expression for me.

Actually a smile to me is a sign of true happiness or true humor. If I feel especially happy or something strikes me as funny, I smile as naturally as anyone else. But usually when I am just saying hello, I make eye contact and say "Hi." I don't tend to smile from ear to ear. This disturbs some people, but other people are able to accept it as my persona. The ones who won't accept it are the people I will tend to take back hallways to avoid! ;)

It also greatly depends on our relationship. If I know that's just the way you are and you're naturally a reserved person I wouldn't necessarily think much of it. I don't know how to say this without sounding like you have to smile at people because I don't walk around like a smiling idiot, but I've built up enough credibility with people that it's OK if I slip. I don't feel like every transaction I have with people needs to be deep and meaningful and oftentimes a smile is just a simple, "I acknowledge your existence."

That's fine.

heart, I don't mean to be offensive but what's your body language like and in what ways do you show that while you're not comfortable being as effusive as they are you're not against them? If the EFJs you work with feel like they've tried to be friendly towards you but they perceive/think their efforts of creating a bridge are rebuffed do you think they're completely unjustified in what conclusions they've drawn? Have you spoken to them about this?

Yes, we spoke about it. They found the fact that I didn't chit chat disturbing. Trying to assure them that it is just my way didn't really help. I had no wish to share my personal life and problems at work.

No one should force their "niceness" on you, but there are some basic transactions that need to occur between people so that they don't get the wrong idea. When communicating with people, it's so easy to get the wrong idea and to run wild with it. Smiling is one of those basic things to keep people from getting the wrong idea. It's just like in the animal world to show you're not about to attack you expose your neck and outstretch your palms. Those things communicate to people that you mean no harm. These are typically very small gestures that can save you a lot of grief in the long run.

The thing is some people are never happy if they get a :) then pretty soon that's not enough they want to see
nature-smiley-5398.gif

If I see someone with a cast on their arm, can I correctly assume they've broken an arm? I'm not saying you should walk around with a smile plastered on your face but sometimes a smile well get people the hell off your case. Maybe you're throwing out body language that looks downcast and sullen and the EFJs of your acquaintance are reacting to that, just as you would assume someone with a cast has broken a bone. Do you think their efforts to "mend your broken bone" are insincere?

They are the ones who are interpreting it as "downcast".

One thing is that some extroverts can never seem to try and understand that for many introverts being bombarded by five people asking you questions at once will just shut your brain right down from too much stimulation, no matter what the introvert wants to do, the brain will lock up, will be impossible to extrovert at that moment.

It takes me time to "warm up" in a large group to extrovert much of anything. Nothing I can do about that, I am pushing 40 and never been able to change this. But some extroverts will take this personally and react hostile and form an impression that is incorrect.

Also, if they've made several attempts to be on friendly terms with you, maybe they really like you and keep trying hoping that one day you'll take them up on that offer to go to lunch or to a BBQ or something.

Some of these people are family members, they've got to see me at family events.

If they go a step further and ask you what's wrong to get confirmation of what they sense (accurately or inaccurately) is wrong, how else would you propose going about it?

Ask once. Accept the answer given.

Try to realize that the moment you start pushing, you become another brick in the wall shutting the introvert off. Invasiveness will shut some introverts down, lock them up. Very hard to cope with, even if they wanted to open up, they got to do it at their own pace and in their own way.

If I see someone crying, ask why and they say "I just won 1M dollars!" then I know those are tears of joy. If I see someone crying and I ask what's wrong and they say, "My husband just died," how would I know the difference between those two types of tears unless I ask?

Tears are pretty extreme, most people, even thinkers would ask about tears.

Furthermore, if I think my attempts to clarify what I perceive as unnecessary coldness coming from another person is met with resentment and I have no clue why this resentment began I'm at a loss. I'm not one of those people that think I can psychically intuit why a person is feeling the way they are.

Yes, but what about if they told you they were just that way, that they get preoccupied, that they aren't smiley people? That they just don't want to get into their personal life at work? That they just need a period of quiet time at their desk before work starts?

So let's do this scenario: you're a coworker of mine who I don't work with directly but we see each other on a daily basis. We've bumped into each other in the bathroom, the elevator and once sat together at lunch because there were no other empty tables available. One day after work, I'm walking to my car and I see you walking to your car. I say "Good Night!" and you look at me and turn away without saying a word. I think (and I'm going to be bluntly honest here):

1. Did you hear me?

2. I try to remember all of our transactions together and if I did/said something to cause offense. At this point, I do think we've had enough transactions together to not be strangers so if I say good night I think it's fair for me to expect you to say good night back. I don't expect a long intimate conversation, but I do expect my existence to be acknowledged, especially when I speak to you directly.

3. I try again. If I see you at some point in the near future I'll purposely say hello or start a small conversation and watch your response. I'll say something like, "hey, I saw you going to you car on such and such night. I hope your commute isn't as bad as mine!" I do this to see if you in fact did hear me and also to see if I can pick up any animosity coming from you towards me. If I sense nothing then I just come out with it, "yeah I said hello but maybe you didn't hear me?" You can either confirm or deny not hearing me.

But really, I know that you saw me because we made eye contact. If you say you didn't see me then I know you're a liar and I don't have anymore dealings with you. I walk past you and ignore you and you're non-existent to me. With me, you wouldn't have to worry about me asking what's wrong cause I wouldn't care.

I have said before I don't give people a cut direct. The problem is that is not enough. Some people expect bubbliness and consistent extroversion when I am just not that way.

If you did in fact see me, but say, "yeah, I'm sorry about that. I was having a rough day and just wanted to get home," I'd leave you alone and chalk it up to that. We all have off days and sometimes we're so lost in thought and don't see someone even if we look directly at them.

Then you are very different from what I am talking about here.

[quoteI want to reiterate how important it is to communicate. If you are asked directly about something then why not give a brief but direct answer? [/quote]

N/A

It basically comes down to how much you want these women off your case. This is where my Fe comes in when it comes to self-preservation. I'm willing to sit with people I don't like at lunch once or twice or month just to keep larger issues of resentment and animosity from flaring up.

I used to go to lunch with people at work too, but ya know it is just never enough. Some people will expect the bubbly thing. Then the distrust issue comes in, they react with this uncomfortable, distrust thing. It is always hard to cope with. Just is.

I'm willing to bite my tongue about certain issues until I feel like I have a strong enough case to topple it. I'm willing to conceded smaller things when it comes to other people to ensure at the very least my comfort. I don't view giving up a few lunches or chatting with someone as any great losses so I'm willing to sacrifice them for my greater good.

Chatting and socializing are always energy drains for me. Many extroverts will not accept this, cannot understand it. I just don't always have the energy for it. If I don't keep a certain amount of energy for my internal life, I will get frazzled and stressed out, insane, drained. There were times in my life, like the times when my parents were sick and dying, I had nothing to extrovert out with. Telling other people briefly hey I have this going on and it drains me, for some people that was not enough.

One person (a co-worker) would get angry and tell me how she was stressed to but she smiled daily (yeah she was one of these people who always has a big smile on her face, a loud voice and always happy, happy, singing gospel songs, repeating her latest church sermond...that's fine for her, we're all different, but honestly she exhausted me and that's fine too but she remained on my case and there was no reasoning with her and she wasn't particularly caring person either, just intent on keeping social standards on others, she got hateful enough at deadline times, jumping up and down screaming at times)

If you're unwilling to do that or your attempts to do that are met with resistance then you can't change your coworker's maturity level.

Well, I never claimed I could!

But once again, and I'm not trying to be offensive but I have a hard time believing that every EFJ you've come into contact with has behaved in a totally immature fashion. Are you sure some of this could not be controlled by monitoring your reactions to these people?

I haven't said that every EFJ I have come into contact with is immature, nor have I said that they are the only difficult people I come into contact with. What I am saying is that for me, when a ESFJ is particularly overbearing or trying to exert control through persuasion or invasiveness, it is particularly difficult interpersonal exchange for me to handle. I can handle a unhealthy, cold, A-hole T somewhat better than a unhealthy Fe.

Yes, I often to monitor my responses to these people very much, but it takes a tremendous energy toll to do so and I will avoid them as much as possible because of this and feel a lot of stress when I am forced to deal with them.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
One key thing here, is that extroverts will tend to believe (and sometimes tell) introverts that there is something wrong with them, because they don't share the need to live outside their heads. Rarely does this happen the other way around (it just manifesting as annoyance/irritation at being over-shared with). There's a lot here in these posts that exhibits both, that's all I'm saying...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have had meaningful friendships with people who don't smile in response to me. My mentor of over a dozen years never even acknowledged passers-by in the hall, even when greeted. I eventually received a slight nod, which meant more than most smiles I've received. I have received some beautiful smiles filled with deceit. A smile is a symbol of goodwill and kindness, but just like words, it can be used to concoct a lie. So, if someone smiles at me in a warm and lovely fashion, or if they divert their eyes, I glean about the same amount of information - which is next to nothing until a baseline for their behavior and communication can be established. Just as there are different languages - sounds are arranged differently to convey the same meaning, so the nuances of facial and body language convey different physical languages.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
So often throughout my working life, I too have been accosted by the smile police. I preferred to work alone or in positions where I would only have to interact with others briefly. In fact I was not aware that I offended others sensibilities with my visage until I entered the workplace and found that I got the same reactions wherever I worked.

I am not frowning...and I am not smiling either, I am working. I am not there to socialize, gossip or otherwise distract myself and others from their work. For me work involves concentration, because I am so likely to drop the ball if I do not stay attentive. Also I rarely cultivated friendships with co-workers or particpated in after work drinking/going out. I make friends very carefully; it is a big investment for me and most work relationships are the very trivial surface type pleasantries which I used to abhor. As I grew older, I found that it did pay to throw a little fake glee around to satisfy those needing to see it. I also tried to assemble a collection of non-commital, non-offending generic responses to workaday questions that would keep me from seeming too aloof, which I learned the hard way people just do not like and are offended by...I still do not understand this, but I know that it is a reality, however selfish on their part. I am doing my job...I didn't sign up to be anybodies source of entertainment. My focus on the task at hand should express all that anyone needs to know about me in the workplace.

I certainly don't go out of my way to directly insult or ignore people. I always exchange a greeting at least. There are people that this just does not satisfy and they for some inexplicable reason seem to feel that I need to know a great deal more about them than time, propriety or patience can reasonably allow. If you open the door even a crack, they jam their foot in and won't leave. And if you are around these people enough I find that they really aren't interested in anyone in any significant way, just what an interaction with you will yield them in terms of social currency (gossip).

Of course once you elect to go into a management position you have to play this game, and the insincerity of this makes me quite uncomfortable. I don't like to "play" people and I am not good at it. I try to be straight up and truthful, just-the-facts. As a result I tend to believe that others will afford me the same courtesy in exchange but of course, no...or very rarely.

Then there is the aggressive almost insulting insistence that you must be "sad" or "angry" and in general just not "right". That somehow, just by existing as you do that you will inconvenience the populace at large with your gratuitous displays of discontent. Great, thanks...now I feel better since you pointed that out to me.

I am still learning about the MBTI aspects of this (one of the reasons that I am here) and I value Protean's remarks as instructive but I indentify closely with Heart on this.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hmm.

A smile coming from me usually means that I'm confused. "Just smile and nod" is the phrase, and for me it's automatic. It's an automatic response to shock, embarrassment and generally being too serious -- it makes me seem a lot more friendly than I really am, because these sorts of things happen too often. People don't understand that my smiles are usually either out of bewilderment or out of being too caught up in something that I think is funny. Usually they seriously think that I'm happy to see them and continue bothering me with things that they think will 'make me smile' even though making me smile is not necessarily a good thing.

I have horrible, horrible control over my facial expression. I'd prefer not to be judged by it but unfortunately if people are paying any attention to you at all, that's what they're doing.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I answered Protean here.

I might just have to go back to Heart's post to Protean that she moved to the Fi/Fe thread but I'm almost positive she mentioned ESFJ's. I know Lookin4 will say I'm harping but PEOPLE FOR GOD SAKE just because we are both primary function Fe does not mean ESFJ's and ENFJ's experience Fe in the same way. There are just so many more ESFJ's around I really think people don't know many ENFJ's and assume some of the ESFJ's they meet are ENFJ's...we're not all that plentiful. (and this was about ENFJ's which is why I'm bringing this up)

If someone that I know happens not to smile at me when I greet them I just keep going. I may think to myself..."are they ok?" and sometimes (depending on how close we are I'll ask.."are you ok?" or if we're really close I'll just know something is wrong and I'll raise an eyebrow or give them some look..if they talk they talk if they don't I leave it until they ar ready if they ever do actually talk.

If I don't know the person and I greet them and they don't say anything or smile or acknowledge my greeting (which, sorry Heart, in the workplace when someone says good morning...just good manners to say good morning back...I'm not saying you have to get into a "how was the weekend how's the kids? blah blah" but just acknowledging the greeting is business proper..for ANY type) I will keep walking and it won't even bother me. If I see them again the next day and in several further encounters and say something in greeting or smile at them and they look thru me...that's the last they have to worry about my greeting them. (I agree Protean) It's their problem (or not) and it makes no never mind to me. I tend to shy away from asking people their business because they seem to find me and tell me anyway....no mater if I want to know or not.

heart

heart on fire
If I don't know the person and I greet them and they don't say anything or smile or acknowledge my greeting (which, sorry Heart, in the workplace when someone says good morning...just good manners to say good morning back....

:huh:

Did you even bother to read my reply to Protean? I mean really read it?

No where have I said that I cut people who speak to me. If someone says hello I say hello back.

Sorry to sound so sharp here, but it is really frustrating to make something clear and have people simply paint their own assumptions right over it anyway. :shock:

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
:huh:

Did you even bother to read my reply to Protean? I mean really read it?

No where have I said that I cut people who speak to me. If someone says hello I say hello back.

Sorry to sound so sharp here, but it is really frustrating to make something clear and have people simply paint their own assumptions right over it anyway. :shock:

I didn't say you did. I simply said you mentioned ESFJ's. When I said "sorry Heart if this happened....." I didn't mean you'd done it I was using Protean's example to say what I'd do (as a person with primary Fe) if it happened to me

heart

heart on fire
(which, sorry Heart, in the workplace when someone says good morning...just good manners to say good morning back....

This is clearly directed at me personally, as if you are instructing me on workplace manners. It is a lecture I don't need. I know enough to say "hi" to the people who say hi or smile at me. I'll nod often when I don't smile back. I am not a complete social cretin. Geez...

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
This is clearly directed at me personally, as if you are instructing me on workplace manners. It is a lecture I don't need. I know enough to say "hi" to the people who say hi or smile at me. I'll nod often when I don't smile back. I am not a complete social cretin. Geez...

Ok

heart

heart on fire
Clarifying here... I merely said that I often deal with distrust coming from people who seem to be Fe dom and from people I know to be Fe dom, because I am not bubbly in person and I am not a smiley person. I know this is the case, they come right out and tell me, it is not a big mystery, but it is hard for me to understand why it is such a big deal to them and why they feel the need to push at me.

I have dealt with some actual hostility from some of them over it. Bluewing's post here helped me to understand why that might be in a way I can have more empathy for than just wondering why some people have to be so invasive. That's actually a postive thing!

Then Protean said the only place she dealt/heard of with such issues was on this board and I said, that's fortunate for her, because for me, they are some of the hardest interpersonal stumbling blocks for me (personally) to cope with. I was just posting to express myself and my experiences.

Then I get told basically if I ignore people's greetings I can expect difficulties and I tried to explain that no I do not ignore people, I do the basic polite thing but still have some difficulities with some Fe doms. It is just mega frustrating to have tried to be clear about all of that and get a personally directed statement back that it is just good manners to say hello if someone says hello! It is more complicated an issue than that. People expect a hellvalot more than a hello. They want the big sunshine smiley!

It is like speaking into the wind....and some people will continue to say the same things to me over and over. It is really frustrating.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Clarifying here... I merely said that I often deal with distrust coming from people who seem to be Fe dom and from people I know to be Fe dom, because I am not bubbly in person and I am not a smiley person. I have dealt with some actual hostility from some of them over it. Bluew

Protean said the only place she dealt/heard of with such issues was on this board and I said, that's fortunate for her, because for me, they are some of the hardest interpersonal stumbling blocks for me (personally) to cope with.

Then I get told basically if I ignore people's greetings I can expect difficulties and I tried to explain that no I do not ignore people, I do the basic polite thing but still have some difficulities with some Fe doms. It is just mega frustrating to have tried to be clear about all of that and get a personally directed statement back that it is just good manners to say hello if someone says hello!

It is like speaking into the wind....and some people will continue to say the same things to me over and over. It is really frustrating.

I hesitate to say that perhaps you don't recognize that both Protean and I were not saying what YOU do. It seems to me she was trying to find out what you do and since you responded to her and she hasn't yet (at least not publicly) I can't speak for her. I read your Fi/Fe post. Saw quite clearly that you said you don't give the cut direct and when I replied wasn't saying what you do just responding to what Protean said.(perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough)...you then responded with no one is getting what I'm saying quite clearly. I said ok but for some reason it's still frustrating you. You didn't address the fact that you are talking about anyone with dominate Fe and this thread is about ENFJ's a different type than ESFJs which I mentioned that YOU mentioned in your Fi/Fe thread. (and a point that you didn't address so I'm not sure that you read that part of my post) I suppose I could be frustrated because I don't know still if your problem with the people at work is about ENFJ's (which again is what the thread was about)...or just any old dom Fe type which would only be (ENFJ and ESFJ)...maybe I shoud thank you because actually one of my problems with the ENFJ profile was that it didn't seem to fit my experience with Fe.

So I'm truly sorry you're feeling so frustrated, I'm not quite sure what I can do about that besides say...If I misunderstood I apologize.

heart

heart on fire
I hesitate to say that perhaps you don't recognize that both Protean and I were not saying what YOU do.

Then why say "and sorry heart it is just good manners....as if you were directing it at me personally and as if I would disagree that it is rude to outright ignore others, when if you had really read my reply to protean, you would have known that I wouldn't.

It seems to me she was trying to find out what you do and since you responded to her and she hasn't yet (at least not publicly) I can't speak for her.

Yes, I realized this and I responded to her point by point to make my position clear. I have no issue with her on this.

I read your Fi/Fe post. Saw quite clearly that you said you don't give the cut direct and when I replied wasn't saying what you do just responding to what Protean said.

I guess it was the "sorry heart but..." that threw me.

(perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough)...you then responded with no one is getting what I'm saying quite clearly. I said ok but for some reason it's still frustrating you. You didn't address the fact that you are talking about anyone with dominate Fe and this thread is about ENFJ's a different type than ESFJs which I mentioned that YOU mentioned in your Fi/Fe thread. (and a point that you didn't address so I'm not sure that you read that part of my post) I suppose I could be frustrated because I don't know still if your problem with the people at work is about ENFJ's (which again is what the thread was about)...or just any old dom Fe type which would only be (ENFJ and ESFJ)...maybe I shoud thank you because actually one of my problems with the ENFJ profile was that it didn't seem to fit my experience with Fe.

You didn't address those points to me or reply in my Fi/Fe thread so I saw no imparative to reply to it and I was mostly just floored to see your comment that was directly directed at me about it being bad manners to ignore people who say hello. I wouldn't have felt so frustrated if I had not already addressed this issue.

So I'm truly sorry you're feeling so frustrated, I'm not quite sure what I can do about that besides say...If I misunderstood I apologize.

It is not the first time I have been frustrated, won't be the last, at least here in the online world I can pace my words out and refute it. In real life, it is often impossible to be heard. Anyway it is over and not that big of a frustration. So sorry too.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Heart... I think the reason they said that was that when you described the behavior of the ExFJ's in question, they tried to think of what might have compelled them to react to you in the same ways that you claim these ExFJ's reacted to you. They didn't understand that you were literally being expected to be totally bright and cheerful all the time rather than just being reasonably polite, because the latter is how they tend to react and what they tend to expect.

They basically think you had to have made a larger error than you're aware of in order to elicit such a reaction from someone who thinks similarly to themselves, so they're checking basic things that you may have already mentioned in order to make sure that you understand them as well as you think you do.

In other words, they personally would not expect from you the same kind of ridiculously bright smile that these people expect, but would just expect a normal one. They're also questioning whether your descriptions and labels of your own actions are accurate relative to most people's interpretations, and whether it's the same as a typical person's idea of that same behavior, and whether a typical person would see your behavior as "sufficiently polite" even if you personally do.

There is one more thing to consider. I know that some INFP's just make me feel irritated by their very presence, and they don't have to do anything other than be in the same room. It's almost like they have a darkened aura or something, and I have to fight really hard to be nice to them rather than criticizing everything about them as if it were insufficient. I think it's the way they seem to see all this value in themselves and how they can't be affected by how I react to them, and it just makes me feel superfluous. I don't like when other people see the expressions of others as superfluous, and still feel like they have a right to see their own as valuable, especially when others don't value them. I'd note that you don't have that effect on me, but then I don't know whether you would in person or not.

heart

heart on fire
EDITED: Athenian, I understand how on first reading, they made certain assumptions based on their own experiences. *sigh* and I have tried to make this understanding clear as well...but after I explained that I don't ignore people, I did not expect for it to come up again, directed at me personally.

It is like I am not even speaking in English and very frustrating.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
EDITED: Athenian, I understand how on first reading, they made certain assumptions based on their own experiences. *sigh* and I have tried to make this understanding clear as well...but after I explained that I don't ignore people, I did not expect for it to come up again, directed at me personally.

My guess is that they wanted to clarify about what that meant, in order to help you understand why these people have such unusual expectations of you. You must be doing something unconciously to put them off, if they don't do this to everyone else. Saying that you "don't ignore people" could mean any number of things, as there are several kinds of attention you can give a person, as well as several ways to express your intentions towards them. It's like you want us to accept that your interpretation of yourself "not ignoring" people is good enough, without going much further into it. Also, it was implied in the way you phrased your statement that you wanted help in understanding and addressing the origin of these unusual expectations, which I think they were trying to provide by getting you to discuss in detail what happens and determine what the cause of the situation might be.

EDIT: If the people in question do actually do this to everyone, then they are probably somewhat unhealthy varients of what ever type they are, and may or may not be ExFJ's. Which means you shouldn't feel any responsibility.
It is like I am not even speaking in English and very frustrating.

I agree, except I would say "confusing." :doh:

I guess you can even see it in our respective usernames... "athenian" and "heart." You could tell, just from the ideas and connections evoked by those two words, that we see the world through different lenses, and thus cannot comprehend one another's perspectives easily, if at all. Okay, I guess "frustrating" would be appropriate as well, now that I think about it.

heart

heart on fire
...Saying that you "don't ignore people" could mean any number of things, as there are several kinds of attention you can give a person, as well as several ways to express your intentions towards them. It's like you want us to accept that your interpretation of yourself "not ignoring" people is good enough, without going much further into it...

Okay, I will try again, they both described situations where they said "hello" to someone and that someone gave them no response, looked right at them and gave them no response.

That's a totally cut and dried situation. It is actually called a "cut direct."

I replied that I DO say "hello" when someone says it to me. ( and yes this includes all the various forms of that hi, howdy, Yo, hey, good morning, whatzup, how's it hanging...whatever. )

In fact, I will say "hi" to everyone who makes eye contact with me some place like work, even though I often really would rather not. But this is not enough for some people! They want:
nature-smiley-5398.gif
and I am all: :mellow:

I will tend to stick to "hi" and then say "fine, how are you" when people follow up with the how are you. What more should be expected? How much further should I be expected to go into this before you will "accept" my word that I am not talking about completely ignoring people, cutting them direct?

So if there is another version of not ingoring someone who says hello, that does not include me saying a greeting back, share this with me because I don't understand it.

There is a tendancy to connect the lack of smiles and bubbliness with a total lack of communication and I want to make clear, very clear that I am not talking about cutting people direct, only a lack of constant smiles and bubbliness and yes, it has been my experience that this leads certain people to be distrustful of me or to dislike being around me, they tell me so!