• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] are INFPs difficult to read?

Mole

Permabanned
INFPs are as transparent as water and as delightful as a mountain stream.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been told that too, but it may just be the people saying that who find me hard to read. I can echo the "reserved, neutral expression" thing as well as people confusing that for some negative emotion. I'll get pegged as being snooby/aloof when I am just shy. People project a lot onto quiet people.

As you can see, many think we're a simple bunch though, and interestingly, that's precisely one of the "Fi masks". I suppose this means those people only THINK they're reading certain Fi-dom individuals easily, because the simple, childlike mask has them fooled into thinking there is nothing more to them ;).

So basically, I think it is a common IxFP experience, yes.

Jung said:
'Still waters run deep' is very true of such [people]. They are mostly silent, inaccessible, and hard to understand; often they hide behind a childish or banal mask, and their temperament is inclined to melancholy. They neither shine nor reveal themselves.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My INFP boyfriend is emotionally open with me, but with people he doesn't know very well or trust, he shows absolutely nothing.

Usually I can tell if he is upset or unhappy about something, but sometimes it is difficult to tell if he is sad or stressed or just feeling horrible because of various reasons or mad at me or mad at someone else or disappointed or just affected by the weather :blush:

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't doubt it, if I actually am an INFP anyways... I often find myself actively trying to repress my emotional reactions... I'm really not sure why, it's somewhat amusing though. So I suppose I can be difficult to read, and I believe people have said that about me in the past.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I'm trying to be opaque, I can be opaque. Ex: people I don't really care for usually have no idea.

but if I'm not consciously opaque, my emotions are out there in a subtle way.
and I can be quite funny and playful with people I'm comfortable with.

or so I think.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yes, once they start playing with you...stupid Ti doesnt do a very good job of reading :doh:

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Fi is easy to read in the eyes.

What I really want to know about INFPs is how capable are you of forgiving.

I am not asking about a personal situation. I was wondering how it feels being an INFP :)

Last edited:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ The xNFPs are known for being more forgiving then the xNFJs. It's likely the Ne tendency to be able to see reality as non-static on its own, where things can always be changing into something with new potential. It's kind of like hitting a reset button with us then; you need only to show some positive change & now you've redeemed your former value.

Whereas Ni sees reality as "moldable", and if they feel they can't mold it into what they want/need, then they tend to write it off. If something changes of its own accord, they tend to see it as unpredictable & harder to mold, which is a negative. This is a clash between NPs & NJs.... Both may see the other as "fickle", but for different reasons.

xNFPs have also been shown to be the types with the strongest tendency to empathize heavily with others. This means we can understand easily why someone has done something wrong/hurtful, and even if we don't condone it, that understanding can lessen our anger or hurt. As idealistic as we may be, we understand human nature well & don't hold it against people when they are "just human".

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
Well we're not super forth coming with information and are usually lost in our heads so probably yes, however most intuitives are hard to read. We're a complex manipulative bunch.

A

A_priori

Yup, one of my best friends is an INFP "heavy N" he can be very hard to read at times. Always has an agenda and is heavly influenced by FI. When he starts becoming really hard to read he becomes a recluse shortly after. You INFPs!! :)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
if the pages have no words, but textures and tones of color, yes.
Yeah, easy peasy!

As opposed to INFJs, who are written like "Ulysses", or "House of Leaves". :laugh:

Edit: In all seriousness, the only time I have a hard time reading INFPs, is when they have Fi outbursts. I never know if/when to take those outbursts seriously. I keep thinking of them in relation to, say, INFJ outbursts, and because they are not nearly the same thing, I get confused.

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Yeah, easy peasy!

As opposed to INFJs, who are written like "Ulysses", or "House of Leaves". :laugh:

Edit: In all seriousness, the only time I have a hard time reading INFPs, is when they have Fi outbursts. I never know if/when to take those outbursts seriously. I keep thinking of them in relation to, say, INFJ outbursts, and because they are not nearly the same thing, I get confused.

I concur. INFJ are the most difficult to read.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've been told numerous times throughout my life that i am hard to read, like no one can tell if i'm having a good time or not, so do other INFPs have this trait, or is that just a chknz trait?

I've been told that too. :)

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Some people say this about me too. Like they always think I hate my gifts for birthday and christmas when I like them just fine. Or if I just want to chill they think I'm having a bad time. :S

A

Anew Leaf

I am very hard for Fe-users to read, I have discovered, primarily ones who have Fe in the tert/inf position.

In dating situations, this causes some problems as I am unwilling to commit my emotions as early as they desire... ie, 5 minutes into a date. :irked: << see, there is some emotion to read.

I think my enthusiasm gets misread as well, but I am more ok with that.

Here is a jumble and they are words and I tossed them together with sauce.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am very hard for Fe-users to read, I have discovered, primarily ones who have Fe in the tert/inf position.

In dating situations, this causes some problems as I am unwilling to commit my emotions as early as they desire... ie, 5 minutes into a date. :irked: << see, there is some emotion to read.

I think my enthusiasm gets misread as well, but I am more ok with that.

Here is a jumble and they are words and I tossed them together with sauce.

:blush: infp's are tricksy. :D