• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] The Infamous Ni-Ti Loop of INFJ

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I guess I experience this, but I agree it looks more like introversion. Really though, it seems like you just need time to process emotions, which is probably true for everyone if their emotions are at all repressed. (Or maybe it's just how it happens with me). INFP's are said to want to be alone to process their emotions, but it also seems like if your emotions are repressed (as with many T types) you would also need time to figure them out because they are unconscious. Once again I'm not clear on the real world distinction and things are blending into each other. I was actually just thinking about this loop thing, which is why I got on here. Synchronicity. For me it doesn't exhaust my mind at all, just my body and my spirit. I just want to curl up somewhere and meditate and analyze until I figure it out. I usually end up talking to someone about it though, and then figure it out the rest of the way that way. I don't even have to be alone, just free of distractions. I don't know if my experience helps at all because it's not the same, but I'm thinking it sounds more introversion (and I'm not a strong introvert). Do you feel better sharing your feelings/thoughts about feelings with other people? That's supposed to be more typical of Fe.

Darn it, I can relate to almost all of this. (Will the identity crises ever end?)

And I relate to this.

Ok, I was going to write a blog post about how I experience a negative loop (if that's what it is), so I'll do that now, as it relates to this thread and identity crises.

Edit: So here it is:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/entry.php?b=2725
If anyone is interested in my messy psychology. I will not write it here.

Yeah, very very late reply aha. But why does everyone feel the need to type me? People have said I may be ISFP, then that I may be ENFP. Okay, I'm a bit weird, but that's what make me INFP. :dry:

Other than that, I'm always open to the suggestions. Yes I do really feel better once I express my emotions to other people (but that could also be me satisfying the phobic security streak in my type 6 enneagram or the experiential escapadee of my 7 enneagram wing). I've actually noticed enneagram to be much more relevant to how a person can screw up into a personality disorder, while MBTI is explanatory of the personality disorder itself. My 6ish virtue of loyalty (combined with Ne) was tormented by the lack of security and fear in my Si. One tip was to abrasively seek faith in the idea that I should be loyal/connected (like a type 9) to potential light/dark of my Ne. I do feel better once I communicate, but I'm inclined to withdraw as an INFP in sight of depression, etc. Just like you, as my loop is introverted.

I was giving you an example of how I experienced it. I know we all have similar ways of expressing these things, but deep down the core problems are completely different, and sometimes even more "core" than we have previously imagined. Like, now that I've thrown away the MBTI loop issue, I have all sorts of issues after realizing the side of my motivational personality that is type 6, and now I'm much more gloomier than before (but in a different way; not the same issues at all), considering that I was unbelievably happy once the Ne kicked in solving the loop. It's so weird, I think it's like some sort of forer's effect or brain plasticity, to assume we are unusual for having to know about our own MBTI types.

I mean I was so happy I was FiNe before. :happy2:

But I do think that you're in a Ni-Ti loop, it seeks to shoot down yourself in this very logical manner, and that's what I feel you just described above, is very Ni-Ti. And I expect it to come from an INFJ, - as in, I was surprised you changed to XNTP, you're writing seems very deep Ni-core INFJ writing. Then again, like I described, I wouldn't trust this stuff to solve your identity crisis or whatever you're undergoing. I would seek help.

"I retreat from reality. Why? Is it because I have social incompetence like an INFJ or INTP, or because I had negative past experiences like an INFP? I don't know. "

But you need to find out what it is that makes you retreat from reality, there is something. Something that your Ti framework cannot analyze toward. The funny thing is, I felt so shallow locking into the auxillary Ne, but it was actually the more eye-opening function. It opened up doorways to using Te comfortably, and I actually realized that I could do, I could put so much faith in myself to do more.

I'm curious to know... have you checked out this website? : http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14436

I'm not sure if this is helpful at all. You can inbox me further for any reason, if you like. I'm always open to help even if it isn't concerning every theory of disorder that comes and goes.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But I do think that you're in a Ni-Ti loop, it seeks to shoot down yourself in this very logical manner, and that's what I feel you just described above, is very Ni-Ti. And I expect it to come from an INFJ, - as in, I was surprised you changed to XNTP, you're writing seems very deep Ni-core INFJ writing. Then again, like I described, I wouldn't trust this stuff to solve your identity crisis or whatever you're undergoing. I would seek help.
Well I may be. I just think of myself as a combination of the three types. I think NTP fits me better because I seem to use Ne at least as much as Ni, and Si over Se, and inferior Fe fits me better than Se or Si (and yes I've read a lot about the three functions). As for identity crises, I was being a bit facetious. I'm not really that concerned about it. And about the loop thing and retreating from reality, it can get in the way of living life, but I was in therapy for years and it didn't help- I'm pretty sure I could help myself better than someone else, and I wouldn't have to pay thousands of dollars. I just have to be mindful to live in the moment and keep in mind what's important, and keep things in perspective.

But you need to find out what it is that makes you retreat from reality, there is something. Something that your Ti framework cannot analyze toward. The funny thing is, I felt so shallow locking into the auxillary Ne, but it was actually the more eye-opening function. It opened up doorways to using Te comfortably, and I actually realized that I could do, I could put so much faith in myself to do more.

I'm curious to know... have you checked out this website? : http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14436

I'm not sure if this is helpful at all. You can inbox me further for any reason, if you like. I'm always open to help even if it isn't concerning every theory of disorder that comes and goes.
Yes, I've seen that. That was kind of what I was responding to in my blog post. I sort of fit INFJ, INFP, and INTP, but none of them all that much. So I think it's probably something else. Anyway, since my way of retreating from life is to pointlessly analyze things for fun, it's probably better if I take a practical approach and don't automatically go to typology and Enneagram (because since there's not an easy answer, I'd waste a lot of time looking for one).

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been in a Ni-Ti loop most of my life. Just within this last year I've been pushing myself to be social and more involved with people. People are pretty overwhelming to me, though. They seem infinitely complex and interacting with them moreso. I tend to just like most everyone in a simple way, but am not the most trusting. I struggle with relating to people because when people close to me hurt me, I've invested enough empathy and analysis over time that it makes sense, and so I'm not able to direct anger at them. I have also been exercising Fe by expressing anger when felt, even if it doesn't make sense to me to direct it at the person. It feels irrational in a way, so I step back and just see that I too am a reactionary being and will feel hurt when certain things happen. Anger in that way makes more sense, but I am trying to feel and express it more over the past year and not always get lost in an analysis of it. When hurt, I just analyze the human condition of existential isolation and how we can never fully communicate or know and that we function as reflexes to our past experiences. In this way nothing is personal, nothing connected. How does one reconcile that with Fe, and with direct involvement and relationship with people? It's quite a problem to figure out.

I guess what I'm saying is that being deeply involved in Ni-Ti can make it more difficult to relate to people in the concrete world because the abstract analysis tends to relate to them completely differently than the concrete and emotional.