• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs...have you ever got up and left everything behind to start a new life?

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I just did this a week ago, though I wasn't sure that's what I was doing when I did it.

I left Detroit about a week ago, and had every intention on going back after I tackled some legal issues.

The issues are now tackled and I don't intend on going back.

What caused you to do it? How is your life now in comparison to the place you left? How do/did you feel about walking away???

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I have done it twice. Actually 3 times counting going into the military. Every time I said I never wanted to come back....each time I came back. The military time was 4 years, the other 2 were 1 month and 2 weeks. I guess this is HOME :)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i moved to the other side of the country when i was 19 with a high school friend of mine. i've been here 2 years and don't have any plans of moving back. my mom actually wants to move here now.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was always confused when my townie friends would look at me, bewildered, saying, ''how can you just leave EVERYTHING here?!'' When I'd decided to go adventuring/live elsewhere. I'd always ask, ''what is it you think I'm leaving? Everything that actually matters remains with me, where ever I end up.''

Growing up a 'Navy Brat' - being moved around constantly- made such a lifestyle the norm for me. I keep in touch with friends just the same, regardless of distance. Ironically, we probably visit about just as often, either way. Whenever I've decided to relocate, it was never necessarily about 'leaving' anything- but more like moving toward something- possibility- new space for growth- or an environment that may better foster that growth.

Whenever I go to the town I lived in the longest out of any, I can't help thinking to myself, ''this place is a tomb.'' And I can't find a reason to stick around, and I'm quite okay with that.

I never felt like I needed a ''home town.'' I can create that wherever I can maintain inner peace.

Ever forward, I say.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was always confused when my townie friends would look at me, bewildered, saying, ''how can you just leave EVERYTHING here?!'' When I'd decided to go adventuring/live elsewhere. I'd always ask, ''what is it you think I'm leaving? Everything that actually matters remains with me, where ever I end up.''

Growing up a 'Navy Brat' - being moved around constantly- made such a lifestyle the norm for me. I keep in touch with friends just the same, regardless of distance. Ironically, we probably visit about just as often, either way. Whenever I've decided to relocate, it was never necessarily about 'leaving' anything- but more like moving toward something- possibility- new space for growth- or an environment that may better foster that growth.

Whenever I go to the town I lived in the longest out of any, I can't help thinking to myself, ''this place is a tomb.'' And I can't find a reason to stick around, and I'm quite okay with that.

I never felt like I needed a ''home town.'' I can create that wherever I can maintain inner peace.

Ever forward, I say.

I love this.

I think this is what I feel like, like I'm moving forward. And I really don't feel any loyalty to Detroit except for it being where I was born. I mean I love it, as I'm a counter cultured individual and all the rock bands and electronic music and stuff that makes me feel mushy about Detroit has kept me coming back since since I first left in 1996.

I need to move on though...

Someone told me I leave to run away from my problems, but after carefully evaluating that statement, I realized when I leave, I solve my problems, as long as I make some lemonade out of the lemons I bagged up while I was there.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sort of? But I think about it for a long time first.

I grew up in Canada and first moved away to Ireland for three years. By the time I left Ireland I had thought about it for a year and knew 99% sure I wouldn't move back. I knew people there who complained about it bitterly for years and went on about how much they wanted to leave, finally moved away...and then six months or a year later moved back again. When I left to move to England some people were like "oh...you'll move back here! I know you will!" I was like "yeah...no." (big smile)

I'm less sure about Canada as it's where I grew up and I do have attachments to it and my family is there. I think it's quite likely I won't move back, though, or maybe only temporarily if my parents' health is bad or something (hypothetically.)

Never say never, of course. But in a way I'm similar with friendships/relationships. I hang onto them for dear life if I've invested enough, possibly to the extent that damage is caused to myself in the process. When I reach the stage of being done...I'm so so done. To the extent that I have absolutely no interest in reconnecting with ex-boyfriends, friends who turned toxic, etc. If people say "oh but he's single again! And I think there's a chance he might want to see you again!" or whatever...I'm like "yeah, so? It's a long time since I even liked him as a friend, let alone anything more. I have no interest at all in reconnecting." (cue gasps at my coldness.)

(Of course, in the interests of full disclosure...I might still Internet stalk those people a bit. Ha.)

I think in my case...it takes me a long time to know when/how to move forward, but by the time I do it, I'm really ready, and I know. Leaving Canada was the right choice, and leaving Ireland was the right choice. Not that I've done everything perfectly in those choices, but they were still right for me.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes I have but it was away from a situation where I think any sane person would have done the same thing, and I don't want to talk about it.

It's better now but I find most things are better than where I was, so I'm not even sure if it counts as the same thing we're talking about now.

G

Glycerine

I desperately WANT to move away to California or New York.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Never say never, of course. But in a way I'm similar with friendships/relationships. I hang onto them for dear life if I've invested enough, possibly to the extent that damage is caused to myself in the process. When I reach the stage of being done...I'm so so done. To the extent that I have absolutely no interest in reconnecting with ex-boyfriends, friends who turned toxic, etc. If people say "oh but he's single again! And I think there's a chance he might want to see you again!" or whatever...I'm like "yeah, so? It's a long time since I even liked him as a friend, let alone anything more. I have no interest at all in reconnecting." (cue gasps at my coldness.)

I am very much the same as SilkRoad, with people. It's like having a meal and getting sick from it...I am loathe to eat the same meal again. :)

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Moving out of my parent's house would be a dream come true. With my mom's luck, I'll move FAR away.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so

Ever forward, I say.

I relate to this so much! I moved around a lot as a kid as well, so I am not sure if moving just feels normal to me, or if it is part of my personality anyways. I constantly feel the need to be moving on, to experience something new, and I have very few qualms with picking up and taking off. In fact, I'm always planning my next escape! I am someone who needs to feel motion and change around me in order to feel it inside. I feel like my growth is being stunted if I have to remain in one area for an extended period of time.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I have. I happily left Minnesota a little over three years ago, and haven't looked back. I had lived there around 8 years, and by the time I decided to leave, had realized there wasn't any reason for me being there; that I certainly didn't want to live there for the rest of my life, so why exactly was I there? I was completely stagnating.

So, I quit my job, traveled to South America for 7 weeks, then New Zealand for 3 weeks, then got things packed up in a POD, shipped to Colorado, found a place to live once I got to Colorado, spent a while being unemployed, then eventually found a permanent job.

I could see myself doing it again sometime. :yes:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would, except I have certain people counting on me. When I was 16 I jumped on a greyhound bus and left my home state, never looked back. If the situation was right, I'd wouldn't hesitate to to start again somewhere else.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I desperately WANT to move away to California or New York.

Do it!

And yes I've done this. I jumped on a plane from CA to DC and stayed 7 or 8 years too long. I was miserable. I never really loved the city it was manageable and then it lingered likeva bad relationship. Complacency is the EP's enemy.

I have travelled a lot and I'm a big fan of jumping. I want to live inNYC (again) for at least 1 year and in an English speaking country for at least 1 year (Australia, UK) and etc. it's not a matter of prep, it's a matter of doing it. I highly recommend it. While you are single and free and young and mobile you gotta take advantage of time and opportunity. Or make your opportunity rather.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I moved and started over three times.. The first two times I knew no one in the destination city and had no job. I don't know if I could do that again.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Not sure what counts. I grew up in South Alabama.

I went to graduate school in North AL.

I worked in Mississippi.

I currently work in Florida.

I enjoy reading about vagabonds, and have some wanderlust, but I'm not sure I will ever feel so free as to travel thus.

Yet, I would like to think I travel on the inside of myself, and each of us weaves a prison of the mind, and collection of attractive diversions...one prison bearing geography separation, and another manifesting the ability to paradigm shift at will. What I'm hoping is that the interior, that is the mind, will gain infinite power and freedom...maybe some of this will trickle out to some geographical transcendence or displacement.

I'm continuing the experiments. Whether they lead to actual displacement or not is uncertain.

Meanwhile, I'm reading about Daniel Suelo with desire, and I've made some...what I feel are some breakthroughs over the past month myself. Now, as I said, it is a big question whether metaphysics will become physics. I believe I've made enormous progress at putting the little thread through the eye of the needle, and woven webs I find are attractive prisons for myself to live...perhaps ultimate freedom is a prison as well...but I seek it regardless.

If you look up Suelo, I will tell you I've made experiments that will be similar, but mine are not as honorable. See, Suelo did more than travel around everywhere, he left our monetary system entirely. He does not buy. He does not sell. He does not even barter. In a way, I want to have the same trust of the universe...but I'm still reading the book.

I've traveled long distances, moved several times to live different places, and dropped and picked up different things do with my time. However, it's never felt like getting up and leaving everything behind to start a new life. So I dunno.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
never but these are the times I wanted to.

1.I was planning on stealing all my parents money and running away at 13 cause I hated my family.
2.after getting kicked out of university

I never think about leaving now days cause I know I won't ever change and running away to a new place won't change a thing.