• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs as Chameleons?

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Question...are INFJs especially prone to resembling other MBTI types, because of our long-standing sensitivities and tendency to want to observe behavioral trends?

Let me give you an example: I tend to resemble and relate to other types to a point where I forget which part is actually 'myself'.

ENFP = I tend to appear like an ENFP when I see something that I'm obsessed about or am dealing with a subject of extreme interest to me.

INTP = A lot of my writing online seems to appear detached and informative in the same way I've seen in INTPs before. It's usually when I'm trying to exchange information about something scientific or abstract, and I'm trying to convey it as clearly as I can (my Tert Ti).

ISTP = I feel like I resonate VERY strongly with ISTPs at times, but maybe this is just wishful thinking (since they embody my Tert and Inferior functions and are everything that I wish I was myself...)

ESTP = A lot of my favorite characters I come up with are either ESTP or ISTP, and I think again this may have something to do with my Inferior and Tertiary functions. I usually like to have them have to deal with some Ni-Fe stuff over the course of my plotlines, though, in order to have them stress out and/or develop.

INFP = Eh...I feel like sometimes my Ni and Fe mash together to produce something that resembles Fi, but it's not quite the same thing. I've had too many conflicts with Fi-Doms based off of fundamental misunderstandings to say I can truly relate to them... ._. It's one of those things where I THINK we're on the same page, but then they start overreacting to something I say, and then I try to objectively explain why I said something, and they don't want to accept it? I dunno; whatever phenomenon it is, it's weird.

INTJ = I definitely relate to the thinking processes of an INTJ, but my execution differs; I have a little trouble acting upon my 'insights' in a Te-way, so I often find myself admiring the aloof mastermind INTJs I've encountered.

So...advice? Insights?

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm...appear isn't the same as is, but INFJs seem to absorb others personas....might be a Fe thing. INFJs and INFPs also are quite similar.

edit; i meant to compare similar and appear. wrong choice of words lol

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hmm...appear isn't the same as is, but INFJs seem to absorb others personas....might be a Fe thing. INFJs and INFPs also are quite similar.

Well, that's kinda what I meant; chameleons don't literally turn into leaves when they change color, do they? ^^; They just LOOK like their background, they don't actually become it. (Actually, they mostly change color to communicate, but I would rather not digress from the current subject matter.)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No from a Keirsey perspective SPs are the chameleons and from a functional perspective I believe Fe doms (ExFJs) and ENFPs (because of Dom Ne and Aux Fi) would be the best at "mirroring" other people.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't exactly "mirror" - maybe to a certain extent but not a huge amount. I've known some people (perhaps mainly SPs?) who do it to such an extent that you end up really wondering what they're like.

I have been told a lot that I'm adaptable and good at getting with a variety of people. I think that's partly my upbringing/milieu, but not altogether. I'm quite accepting and easy-going and in a lot of cases I either like people, or even if I'm not crazy about them I like to keep things smooth (Fe!) so I make an effort with them. I think I have a pretty multi-faceted personality and I can hide/show different aspects depending what's suitable. Obviously those to whom I can show most facets are my closest friends, generally.

None of this is quite the same as "chameleon", though. I do sometimes "go along" a little too much, because I don't want to rock the boat, or I'm not sure how things are going to work out, etc. But I think I'm better at resisting when uncomfortable, than I used to be.

In terms of people who know about typology, I doubt anyone would think I was anything except IxFJ or ExFJ.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even if I try to be a chameleon, it doesn't quite work. I'm accommodating to others' needs and adapting to an accepted culture, but I usually feel out of step with a group of people, so I really don't try too hard to blend in. Most times I am quiet and look out for signs from another person if it's okay to express things. Under stress I tend to be more chameleonic, but when I am feeling good about things, I really don't worry so much about going along to get along.

G

Glycerine

I have caught myself unintentionally over-emphasizing the aspects of my personality that I think people will like or approve of. :blush:

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're probably an ENFJ.

Check it out some time ;)

O_O I am NOT an extrovert. I might seem like it at times, but the majority of my waking thoughts are spent being zoned out, lost in thought and/or trying to make sense of the universe.

(No, you didn't offend me, I'm just surprised that someone would put 'me' and 'extravert' in the same sentence xD;; )

pmj85

Up until (very) recently, I was also typed as INFJ. Everything you just said about being lost in thought etc doesn't mean toffee - any type can get lost in thought, and all types do. The vast majority of my own thoughts revolve around matters pertaining to the metaphysical; I care about the bigger picture first and foremost, yet I am an ENFJ. Trivial matters do not concern me, living in the present moment is nigh on impossible (no, really) and I seek to understand the nature of reality far more than I seek the company of others... yet in spite of all of this, I lead with Fe.

Strange, right? Perhaps not when you consider that I grew up with Ti-doms, but that's besides the point. The point is that you're asking a question about social chameleon-ism (new word? New word!) which is a product of Fe first and foremost. Socially, Fe can be mirror-like. If you experience this fluidity of character so much that you essentially 'lose' who you are, you should absolutely consider that you lead with Fe, not Ni. Funfact: I'm 26 years old and I've spent most of my teen years / adult life so far trying to work out who I am and what I'm about. When a Fe-dom looks within, things can become extremely confusing.

Oh, and for the record I would NEVER assume that I was an extravert. I took a lot of talking down in the end; eventually I saw sense and realised that I lead with Fe. Now, you may indeed be an INFJ (let's face it - INFJs still have a massive blast of Fe courtesy of their auxiliary) but I wouldn't be so quick to disregard ENFJ. Take a look a the following to see if you can identify:

http://personalityjunkie.com/enfj-type-profile/

http://personalitycafe.com/enfj-forum-givers/76757-recognizing-inferior-function-enfjs.html

.... annnnnd now I'm going to get a coffee, seeing as I wrote that straight out of bed :shock:

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
For me personally, I always felt like I had to change to a certain extent...And it's for a reason I hate to admit like crazy...But here it goes. A lot of people don't like the REAL me. Yeah, they might not hate it, but they will subconsciously avoid and snub me for not being like them. I always hated that, and found success in being other people, because sometimes it felt like having people like me for the fake me was better than having them not like the real me. Sure, it sounds paranoid as hell. But it's also kind of true. ENFJ's, ESTP, you name it...It helped sometimes, other times just didn't work. I'm moving to New York, and hope to meet more different kinds of people. I believe that will alleviate this problem.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
(*claps paddles together* CLEAR! *uses defibrillator on thread* Er...I hope there isn't a "Do not resuscitate" policy in this forum... ^^; )

[MENTION=13310]pmj85[/MENTION]

Okay...I read those links, and now I admit I'm not sure...

Any way I can make sure?

pmj85

(*claps paddles together* CLEAR! *uses defibrillator on thread* Er...I hope there isn't a "Do not resuscitate" policy in this forum... ^^; )

[MENTION=13310]pmj85[/MENTION]

Okay...I read those links, and now I admit I'm not sure...

Any way I can make sure?

Speak to people and ask how they perceive you. I was genuinely surprised when my friends told me that I'm warm, engaging and 'bright'. I thought myself the opposite.

I'll answer when I get home on Friday. I'm in Greece right now. RAWR!

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure that's any kind of test. I can come across as warm, engaging, and bright, too -- and then I go home and go to bed. I attune extremely easily to other people and unconsciously mirror, to the point that a close friend commented on it saying I was exactly like any other person I was with. I'm not an E. It takes a lot out of me to shape-shift. I limit my interactions for that reason. But when I do interact, it's pretty total.

pmj85

True, though commenting on personal experience I found input from others interesting because I don't actually 'see' myself, if you get me. I'm not really all that aware of how I come across a lot of the time; I have only noted it strange that, throughout life, people seem to take to me extremely quickly. I've never understood why. Derp.

To be honest, Tiltyred, it sounds as though you're more of a social chameleon than I am! I can get in to synch with people around me, though more often than not I actually prefer to hang back and keep myself to myself. I've found that my ISFJ friend is actually far better at engaging and conversing with people than I am. If I am an ENFJ, I'm a fairly chilled, reserved one :)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do a brilliant impression of an extrovert, given the right circumstances.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fe does have the tendency to mirror in social situations, when one has fe in their mains stack. It's a mechanism when we want to get to know people, or navigate through a social situation. I guess there's a lot that does not come naturally to me but with learning, at this point it happens subconsciously. I struggle to connect but fe kind of makes me mimic people's social energy or on some level, I can find common ground.

It's not always akin to finding a deep bond or a connection, that only happens when I find people who share common interests. Fe helps me to converse with people on some level, I try not to lose myself but there is kind of that risk, and sometimes when talking about people about their interests, if I know enough about said interests they begin to assume those interests are my interests too when it's often not the case and I just want to have conversation and validate people.