• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Nonsocial ENFPs

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hap, it sounds like you have the same problem, but expressed it in terms of yourself. Very introverted, very cool indeed.

I wouldn't really call it a problem. I'm not going to start doing things that a lot of people can relate to just so I have conversation fodder. I also don't like rehashing old information (which is mostly what smalltalk is, I've noticed), so I find no reason to participate.

However, if the conversation shifts to something I know a lot about, I'm interested in and have strong opinions about, it can be difficult to get me to shut up.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Hey, wait a minute! Couldn't "antisocial" be simply the opposite of social? As in antithesis, antichrist... ie, the embodiment of what is not social?!?! Friggin' :ranting:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hey, wait a minute! Couldn't "antisocial" be simply the opposite of social? As in antithesis, antichrist... ie, the embodiment of what is not social?!?! Friggin' :ranting:

Now we're just arguing connotation versus denotation...

The 'antisocial' in 'antisocial personality disorder' means 'against sociality.' Because of the connotation with the word 'antisocial,' people mistakenly believe that 'antisocial personality disorder' has to do with not being social, and we get all these crazy ideas that if somebody's a loner they must be troubled and want to shoot up public buildings, when this is not the case.

To keep things consistent:

1. Antisocial -- most definitions consider this one as being hostile to society and generally against it in an active way.

2. Asocial -- a little nicer, but still in a lot of ways the same as antisocial. It's generally less active than antisocial but generally averse to social contact and withdrawn, and more egocentric than being antisocial.

3. Nonsocial -- simply 'not social.' Not actively social, and not seeking to be social, just not being socially oriented. This is the least charged word of all of them.

4. Shy -- being reserved out of sensitivity or general timidness. May want to be social, but not necessarily. It's more active than just being 'nonsocial'.

And then there's just generally being socially inept, meaning you may want to be involved socially but just find that you're not good at it at all. Theoretically you could use 'antisocial' to mean the opposite of social, but in this case the word and the prefix has gained a definition through use and medical texts and it would not be recommended to go about using such a charged word as meaning something so harmless.

So... I hope this helps clear some things up.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
ENFPs seem to be the most introverted extroverts, or they at least enjoy activities that are generally enjoyed primarily by introverts far more than any other type of extrovert. They're about the most common extrovert that participates in online discussions, for instance.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hap, where did you get your "definitive" definitions?

And you do understand the hierarchical relevance of the numbered definitions given in a dictionary, right? The first being the primary definition and the last being the most deviated/derived connotation.

Asocial does mean *not* social.

asocial - Definitions from Dictionary.com

And nonsocial, well, it's not really applicable to human beings.

nonsocial - Definitions from Dictionary.com

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Hee hee, thanks Haphazard :D. I do believe nonsocial is the better word, and so it is changed. Hazah!

Now, Wolf's comment makes me wonder why ENFPs in particular are so introverted. Fi seems to be the winner from what other ENFPs are saying... but then why aren't ESFPs prone to nonsociality (let's pretend that's a real word)... or are they?

Yup, I'm starting a new thread in the sp section. I'm sooooo procrastinating right now.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hap, where did you get your "definitive" definitions?

And you do understand the hierarchical relevance of the numbered definitions given in a dictionary, right? The first being the primary definition and the last being the most deviated/deviated connotation.

Asocial does mean *not* social.

asocial - Definitions from Dictionary.com

And nonsocial, well, it's not really applicable to human beings.

nonsocial - Definitions from Dictionary.com

There are more dictionaries than dictionary.com.

Merriam Webster:
Nonsocial
Asocial

I'm just trying to help. I thought it would be a good idea to keep things clear for the purpose of understanding. The point to differentiate the tiers of not being social is to make sure people aren't saying things they don't mean and to prevent misunderstanding. Even if you mean 'antisocial' to mean 'not social,' which it could possibly be used, it's been so heavily loaded with psychiatric connotation that you wouldn't want to use it. You know, like using the word 'faggot' when what you mean is a tied-together bundle of sticks.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
sriv:

Personally, I never need time alone to "re-energize", rather I need time alone to, well, *be* with only me. I enjoy introspecting, lol, almost to a detrimental degree. :huh:

I need time alone to think about life in general and my life particularly, which includes thinking about my existence, who I am, how I feel, what I want, and "where" I want to be.

And what do you mean by, "My friend defines the world in terms of himself"? I don't know what defining the world in terms of yourself is suppose to mean.

Oh, ok. Is your alone time a hobby, or is it necessary?

My ENFP friend defines himself on who he is instead of who others are or what the world wants him to be. He HATES MBTI with a passion because I am always attempting to relate his traits and his actions to classic ENFP. His individuality is in danger so he fights. Oh well...he's missing out. :party2:

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

My ENFP friend defines himself on who he is instead of who others are or what the world wants him to be. He HATES MBTI with a passion because I am always attempting to relate his traits and his actions to classic ENFP. His individuality is in danger so he fights. Oh well...he's missing out. :party2:

Again, your friend is verbalizing an introverted function... but it isn't his dominant function, which is extroverted. Thus he's an extrovert. (verbalizing Fi, but dominated by Ne).

... and let's just say my alone time is a necessary hobby... :) OK, it's definitely necessary, but not for energy purposes.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hap, I take it you didn't check out the links. :rolli:

Dictionary.com is *not* a dictionary, rather it is a site that provides many definitions/usages/etymologies collected from *several* reputable dictionaries as well as other reference sources.

You are a smart girl and I will tell you right now, if you are at all linguistically inclined (which I think you are), I would suggest that you switch your internet lexicon source of the English language to dictionary.com as it is far superior to the one you are currently using. :D

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
"And nonsocial, well, it's not really applicable to human beings."

It's probably better to ascribe the terms to behaviors than persons. Of course there's no people that have like ZERO social interaction, but certains behaviors could be considered nonsocial, like CzeCze's room lurking!

Then again, how would you describe a person who's been catatonic their whole life? I think it would make sense to call that person nonsocial even though they still have some capacity for being social.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm going to respond to Haphazard's comment from the sp thread here before getting back to work:

"I've heard that Ne also makes people seem somewhat introverted. Even though it's 'extroverted perception,' it's still internalizing information to make connections.

Se, I guess, wouldn't be like that.

Then again, you never know until you ask..."

And my response:
Haha! New NT Thread: Nonsocial ENTPs. I don't know what you mean by internalizing information though, and why Se wouldn't be like that. I've also never met an introverted-like ENTP.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's necessary.

My ENFP friend defines himself on who he is instead of who others are or what the world wants him to be.
Uh, is there any other way to define one's self? :huh:

*I* know and understand me, and *I* choose/decide what's right or wrong, "good" or "bad" about me, as well as who *I* want to be.

How does that even marginally relate to your comment about your friend defining the *world* in terms of himself? :shock:

He HATES MBTI with a passion because I am always attempting to relate his traits and his actions to classic ENFP. His individuality is in danger so he fights. Oh well...he's missing out. :party2:
I understand where he's coming from, though I don't fully agree with his attitude. I always relate myself to others but I am the one who ultimately defines myself.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Uh, is there any other way to define one's self? :huh:
How does that even marginally relate to your comment about your friend defining the *world* in terms of himself? :shock:

Yeah, someone can define oneself based on accomplishments, heritage, class, wealth, education, etc.

Oh, I was too lazy to look back.
He defines the world in what it has to do with himself.
Example:
-I just realized that someone I loved since childhood came back from the dead.
~wtf? people can't come back from the dead.
-I thought she left forever. Going away forever is the same as dying.
~...*me thinking: ugh, more irrationality*

That was really off-topic.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
And YES!!! Please, let's talk about this ENFPs.

I have my own theories -- ENFPs are way too wussy for our own good and we need to escape from the cruel, cruel world sometimes. I have literally dropped off the radar for months at a time (and somewhat what I'm doing now) and it does NOT energize me and it does NOT nourish me.

There is a line where time alone is wonderful and I savor it and it gives me external peace which makes up for the constant cacaphony in my mind. With the Ne -- it is exhausting at times to be 'outside' but still energizing in it's own way. And interesting what Pink said about Si - yeah, bad vibes are my kryptonite, I'm like a psychic receptor or thermometer and it's hard for me to just 'shake it off' unless I've written off the whole thing.

I think also, ENFPs are really bad at moderation and consistency and weak Si makes for bad record taking sometimes because I often realize I have gone WAY TOO FAR in my 'non social/anti-social' kick and have become lonely, depressed, socially riztarded and just not doing jack with myself in general. I have officially taken 2 steps back in my attempt to take 1 step forward by being 'meditative' and doing it like an 'I'.
What utter bollocks CzeCze!!! :rolli:

You absolutely have no idea about me or other ENFPs. :ninja:

And everything you state in this post cannot be further from the truth. :whistling:

:run: ------- :run: ------- :run:------> (yes, that's me ever so slyly moonwalking away from the thread)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hap, I take it you didn't check out the links. :rolli:

Dictionary.com is *not* a dictionary, rather it is a site that provides many definitions/usages/etymologies collected from *several* reputable dictionaries as well as other reference sources.

You are a smart girl and I will tell you right now, if you are at all linguistically inclined (which I think you are), I would suggest that you switch your internet lexicon source of the English language to dictionary.com as it is far superior to the one you are currently using. :D

Damn it!

You caught me using one of the oldest tricks in the book (Murphy's Law of Research: enough research will yield proof for anything you want to prove). I am quite familiar Dictionary.com and was using it and trying to condense the 'antisocial' and 'asocial' definitions that I found there into something smaller than what they had. I am aware that dictionary.com has an entry for 'nonsocial,' but that is by far not the definitive definition for 'nonsocial.'

Do not patronize me. I was just trying to help for all intents and purposes of this thread -- just whatever damn words you DO decide to use, don't use 'antisocial' to describe somebody that's 'not social' -- or else they may just turn antisocial on you. I've seen it happen.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Do not patronize me. I was just trying to help for all intents and purposes of this thread -- just whatever damn words you DO decide to use, don't use 'antisocial' to describe somebody that's 'not social' -- or else they may just turn antisocial on you. I've seen it happen.
My dear, dear Hap, I would never matronize you, you just happen to be an incredibly intelligent girl, (which I immensely appreciate), so I like to give you a hard time, all in good fun though. :D

Oh, and I never used the word antisocial to describe myself, fyi. :smooch:

I can be, and am, pretty asocial, and this has been the case, off and on, since I was 13 or so.

Last edited:

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

Ah said, PREACHIT!!! :rock:

*btw, I'm referring to your tone... it's kick-ass.

...and I'm not making fun of you... omg, please don't kill me!:peepwall:

nemo

Enneagram
<3
I'm going to respond to Haphazard's comment from the sp thread here before getting back to work:

"I've heard that Ne also makes people seem somewhat introverted. Even though it's 'extroverted perception,' it's still internalizing information to make connections.

Se, I guess, wouldn't be like that.

Then again, you never know until you ask..."

And my response:
Haha! New NT Thread: Nonsocial ENTPs. I don't know what you mean by internalizing information though, and why Se wouldn't be like that. I've also never met an introverted-like ENTP.

It's because Ne is stimulated by new possibilities, ideas, insights, connections, information, and experiences in a situation, but *not* by the situation itself. That's why ENPs are usually so ho-hum in ordinary situations: it's hard for Ne to activate. And those "situations" that offer new connections, ideas, etc. are not necessarily social situations, so it can go off sort of capriciously.

Se is more stimulated by the immediate situation itself.

I think that's what Hap was talking about.

And you've never met an introverted-like ENTP? Seriously? I find that weird, because all NTs are aloof, distant, and disengaged to an extent (according to Keirsey), so my experience is the other way around: it's rare to find a stereotypically extroverted ENTx.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Ah said, PREACHIT!!! :rock:

*btw, I'm referring to your tone... it's kick-ass.

...and I'm not making fun of you... omg, please don't kill me!:peepwall:

It's kind of funny how some people think I have eye lasers or something. That'd be an ENTJ trait, not INTJ.

Either way. Yeah...