• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What do you guys do with all of your feelings?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have way too many feelings and I can't seem to find a satisfactory medium to express them. I also have an extremely high need to express them as accurately as possible. I feel like this might be a common problem 'round these parts.

The closest I come to directly expressing emotions is when the stress of repressed feelings squeezes me and my hyperactive neurotic brain reacts to the stress with frenzied, melodramatic rants, hyperbole, and self-deprecating humour.

I feel like I am being anally cattle-prodded, and all I can think to do amidst the intense discomfort is to run around like a maniac screaming absurd things.

So I want to steal some tips from you guys, and learn about your methods of self-expression.

Any suggestions? or maybe you too feel the electric tingle of life up your butt...

Either way--Dish it, gurl.

R

RDF

I have way too many feelings and I can't seem to find a satisfactory medium to express them. I also have an extremely high need to express them as accurately as possible. I feel like this might be a common problem 'round these parts.

The closest I come to directly expressing emotions is when the stress of repressed feelings squeezes me and my hyperactive neurotic brain reacts to the stress with frenzied, melodramatic rants, hyperbole, and self-deprecating humour.

I feel like I am being anally cattle-prodded, and all I can think to do amidst the intense discomfort is to run around like a maniac screaming absurd things.

So I want to steal some tips from you guys, and learn about your methods of self-expression.

Any suggestions? or maybe you too feel the electric tingle of life up your butt...

For me personally: If I’m feeling boxed in or squeezed or snowed under by outside circumstances, I don’t really see “self-expression” as very useful. A nice rant helps to blow off some of the steam, but afterwards it often creates additional problems of its own.

I’ve tried journaling or writing, but over the long-term I didn’t really find that very helpful. It was good for analysis of the problem, but it didn’t actively do anything to address problems in the outside world.

So ultimately, when I started feeling boxed in or squeezed or snowed under, I took that as a signal that I had fallen into a rut or something and needed to act directly on my circumstances to change things.

For example, if I was feeling overworked and under too much pressure, I would try to think how others handle the situation: Negotiate with the boss to reduce the workload for a while, quit procrastinating so much, lateral to a different position or job, etc.

If I was stuck in a dead-end boring situation with no option to get free of it for a while (like periods in the military or in college or in my blue-collar days), then I would divert myself: Carry novels and read during the day if that was feasible. And then seek out a more interesting life in my off hours: Get more social, do outings, take a skydiving or scuba diving class, etc.

If people were getting on my nerves, sometimes I would find ways to isolate myself from them and get more breathing room. If that wasn’t possible (for instance, living in a crowded barracks in the military or in a house with a lot of roommates), I might use the exact opposite strategy and try to take more interest in the things those people do (sports, soap operas, whatever), connect with them better, do more things with them (go out drinking together, join an ongoing poker game). In other words, I realized that part of the problem was my own unwillingness to connect with people on their terms, so I worked on that.

Anyway, to sum up: Self-expression was good for (self-)analysis purposes, but it only takes you so far. Sooner or later it’s usually more effective to address the outside source of that pressure in some way.

gromit

likes this
Exercise is good. Sometimes, go to sleep, in the morning you see things from a new perspective, things start to fit into place. I also like to talk to my sister or a trusted friend if the feelings are too many or too confusing to me, then it helps me to see things straight.

gromit

likes this
Sooner or later it’s usually more effective to address the outside source of that pressure in some way.

Yeah I like that. I have found that self-analysis is most helpful when it results in a new way to proceed.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Exercise is really good. Talking to my wife helps too.

Also, this one is kind of goofy, I always have 1 television show per week that will make me cry like a baby. Fitness or health or some kind of personal struggle related shows usually. Some recent ones that have done it for me have been The Biggest Loser (although, I seem to be over it now), Breaking Through With Tony Robbins, and Addiction. I will watch these and cry like a baby.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Exercise is really good. Talking to my wife helps too.

Also, this one is kind of goofy, I always have 1 television show per week that will make me cry like a baby. Fitness or health or some kind of personal struggle related shows usually. Some recent ones that have done it for me have been The Biggest Loser (although, I seem to be over it now), Breaking Through With Tony Robbins, and Addiction. I will watch these and cry like a baby.

I didn't really get the op but yeah I guess this is true for me too. I have people I can be vulnerable with and talk about issues. I also have people that make me crazy happy and let me love on them endlessly and I do have tv shows that I cry at all the time.

It was greys anatomy... Every single time I would cry like a baby so much that my throat gets all tight and everything. Haha

I cry easily during movies or tv shows but I also laugh a whole lot or get all ooey gooey from all the sweetness.

My bf gets to be the one who sees me angry the most. Yay him. Haha

Is this what you're talking about op? I feel like I'm missing the real question.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Little feelings don't bug me, I just let them happen naturally. Big repressed feelings make me find a dark place, then I rage or wallow in privacy for a set time. Then I actually try to find a way to fix the situation. The fact that I have a plan and an intent to execute it really helps.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Little feelings don't bug me, I just let them happen naturally. Big repressed feelings make me find a dark place, then I rage or wallow in privacy for a set time. Then I actually try to find a way to fix the situation. The fact that I have a plan and an intent to execute it really helps.
Yeah for sure figuring out how to fix it and then doing it is totally necessary. Yep.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

My feelings are very out in the open, so most of the time, I just bitch about my problems with close friends who also have problems. So we just bitch, and bitch, and bitch until we feel better. Also many times, I get philosophical and just try to determine the root problem of my negative feelings, and try to solve my problems in my own mind.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Feelings? Toss them on the bonfire and watch the pretty colors.

yasly_inferno_big.jpg

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Feelings? Toss them on the bonfire and watch the pretty colors
Perhaps, but not before a reasonable interrogation. Mine sometimes act as an early warning system that something is wrong, and can provide useful clues to the ensuing investigation.

G

Glycerine

I typically suppress them and get philosophical about them. People usually get surprised that I have "feelings".

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I didn't really get the op but yeah I guess this is true for me too. I have people I can be vulnerable with and talk about issues. I also have people that make me crazy happy and let me love on them endlessly and I do have tv shows that I cry at all the time.

It was greys anatomy... Every single time I would cry like a baby so much that my throat gets all tight and everything. Haha

I cry easily during movies or tv shows but I also laugh a whole lot or get all ooey gooey from all the sweetness.

My bf gets to be the one who sees me angry the most. Yay him. Haha

Is this what you're talking about op? I feel like I'm missing the real question.
Yeah I think I read gromit's post and maybe forgot the intent of the OP. I don't really have issues expressing my own feelings. For the most part I know what they are and how to express them and anyone close (they have to be literal and figuratively close :p) gets to hear about it.

What I was referring to is like sometimes I just need an emotional release. I need to be overwhelmed by feelings and just release it all. I can get it from watching youtube videos or tv shows or reading certain stories or whatever. My wife is always like "are you ok?" and she worries about me but she doesn't really get it. I get all cathartic and I just have to let some things out. I don't think it makes sense to her that I'm sitting around crying because I want to.

(ps -- I had to stop watching Grey's Anatomy because it was too much. The general emotions were ok, but it always made me afraid I had some awful disease.)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I think I read gromit's post and maybe forgot the intent of the OP. I don't really have issues expressing my own feelings. For the most part I know what they are and how to express them and anyone close (they have to be literal and figuratively close :p) gets to hear about it.

What I was referring to is like sometimes I just need an emotional release. I need to be overwhelmed by feelings and just release it all. I can get it from watching youtube videos or tv shows or reading certain stories or whatever. My wife is always like "are you ok?" and she worries about me but she doesn't really get it. I get all cathartic and I just have to let some things out. I don't think it makes sense to her that I'm sitting around crying because I want to.

(ps -- I had to stop watching Grey's Anatomy because it was too much. The general emotions were ok, but it always made me afraid I had some awful disease.)

ughh...i know what you mean! i have that experience with house! fun fun ne paranoia or 6 wing or poor si or whatever the fu@k that crazy ish is haha

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The feelings I have in my day to day life are more... fierce, refined, and inconsequential, all at once. When something bothers me at once I work it and meld it to my worldview, figure out why I've made a judgement, and what changes, and how why what when where in my mental landscape is different, and integrate. Feelings I directly experience rarely move me, and serve more to define who I am.

However, I become incredibly emotionally invested in television/movies/theatre, music, and all forms of art. It's very cathartic.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Since no one else is going to say it, it sounds like you need to have good sex.