• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFJs mistyping as NTs?

kissmyasthma

MBTI Type
I???
Enneagram
huh
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm glad this helped! :)

Yes, that's what I mean. It's like I get answer/hunch first, and then I have to go back and try to make the logic of where it came from clearer. In other threads, other Ni-doms on this site have said they work the same way.

It's that all the perspectives are correct and are needed to make up the whole. Another example is to ask the question if someone who is 30 years old is either old or young. If you look at it from the perspective of a 15-year-old, yes, they're old. But if you look at it from the perspective of someone who is 60? They're young. So, the question is, are they old or young? They're both. There is no definitive "they are old" or "they are young." That's Ni. The breaking up an object into different parts sounds more Ti.

So basically, I'm agreeing with you, but sometimes words mean different things to different people, so I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

And I agree with you about English and history! I love English for that reason, and when we were doing the lit theory "New Historicism," which is combining looking at history in an Ni-way ('there is no one definitive way of looking at history') and looking at novels in an Ni-way, I went nuts :)

I think this sounds a lot more like how I use intuition than Ne...it's like Ne is this wellspring of ideas that just keep going and going on continuous tangents (I think I must know a lot of people with strong Ne, haha) whereas Ni sees and values multiple perspectives re: one object or topic. It would make a lot of sense for Ne to by one of my shadow functions because it does drain me and freak me out pretty consistently.

So in terms of an INFJ, Ni-Ti is probably a pretty quiet, introverted process, right? But how would you say Ni works with Fe, or how does Fe tend to "extrovert" or express the Ni-Ti stuff?

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think this sounds a lot more like how I use intuition than Ne...it's like Ne is this wellspring of ideas that just keep going and going on continuous tangents (I think I must know a lot of people with strong Ne, haha) whereas Ni sees and values multiple perspectives re: one object or topic. It would make a lot of sense for Ne to by one of my shadow functions because it does drain me and freak me out pretty consistently.

So in terms of an INFJ, Ni-Ti is probably a pretty quiet, introverted process, right? But how would you say Ni works with Fe, or how does Fe tend to "extrovert" or express the Ni-Ti stuff?

I’m sorry for taking so long to get back to you with these posts. It seems like there’s two main ways that Fe interacts with NiTi in INFJs.

NiTi by itself looks at things in a neutral way, totally unaffected by how others would think about it. But when these thoughts are going to be told to others, it’s like it has to be sifted through the Fe filter. I can’t not have an idea of how others will react. It’s just an automatic that I will take into consideration how others will feel about what I’m saying (at least, to the best of my knowledge of how they’ll probably feel and react). My Ni will give me hunches about this. The vast majority of the time, my Fe will cause me to not want to make others feel bad or make a conflict. So I will phrase things in a way that will avoid this (not that I lie about what I’m thinking either; it’s about the external delivery of what I’m thinking).

[MENTION=1654]Evan[/MENTION] made a post that’s relevant to this in this thread.

The other way that Fe comes into the picture is that it causes Ni to be drawn to think about topics that involve people. Maybe it’s through learning about people and societies in general, or maybe it’s through wanting to help others. In this case, NiTi can serve Fe (instead of the other way around in the previous paragraph) in gathering/sorting through knowledge about people and in that all the knowledge/logic can be used to figure out how to help others.

I think it’s also worth mentioning that sometimes gender makes a difference in how Fe is shown externally. Women are encouraged in society to show some kind of Feeling function, so they more often just let it do its thing; but men are discouraged from doing this, so they have a harder time letting their Fe show.

Impact Calculus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Many INFJs probably do. This is especially common if they get an introversion high and skip their auxiliary, moving them straight to their tertiary. This is called an Ni-Ti loop. Every type will have times where they focus their consciousness on either their extraverted process or introverted process. If an INFJ spends too much time away from the world, they're going to look like an NT.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Confusion between INFJ and NT types seems to happen all the time. I don't relate to it so much as I don't think it has ever happened to me (except possibly when taking the MBTI when I was younger - which I think I did, but I'm not certain).

I am too much of a Feeler to ever test as anything but Feeler-esque. I'm more like an ISFJ externally - heavy on the Fe. However, I also get people telling me that I'm very logical and I know that I can seem cool/cold, as well. It's an odd mix. I feel like a lot of my problems are caused by a sort of war between sentimentality and practicality.

S

Society

After over a year of thinking of myself as an INTP, I'm starting to wonder if I might actually be an INFJ. The funny thing is, the first type I ever tested as was INFJ, and learning more about F/T and J/P led me to INTP. Thinking more about the cognitive functions, however, is leading me back where I started.

are you inclined to be inspired by patterns and ideas into all sort of possibilities without any self-evident orientation, or rather oriented to follow patterns into conclusive visions? if it's INFJ vs. INTP, focus on solving where you stand on Ne vs. Ni (respectively), and you'll have your answer.