• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How do people describe you?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The positive side...-A lot of people tell me that i'm very strong (something rocklike) and that i have an ability to be optimistic even when i'm stuck in a hole. A few think i'm super creative... (those that see that streak) and that i'm a fantastic problem solver, i always seem to find a solution to seemingly impossible things/situations.They also say i'm very inspiring, that i always seem to elevate people that come into my life. Oh also that i have an energy about me that makes people smile.
The uh oh side...- I can be bossy (Mother and Brothers favorite!), tempremental, moody (likened to a storm), stubborn and on occaision aggressive and over protective. I have also been told (many times) that i have a cold side, a side that cuts people out and shuts down. Oh and crazy is always a favourite with anyone i have been in a relationship with.

Ta daa, sold.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
no idea? I dont spy on people

kissmyasthma

MBTI Type
I???
Enneagram
huh
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
People have said that I'm nice, or even too nice. People who are close to me have said I'm analytical, nerdy, talkative, argumentative, snarky, jaded, loud, quiet, insightful, frank, and considerate. My mom says I lack self-confidence (very true).

The other day, I told my dad he reminded me of a cat, because he's usually laid-back, acts sort of superior but isn't phased by much, but when something makes him angry the claws come out. He agreed and ended up saying that's what I'm like as well. "Really, I'm laid back?" "Yep, very laid-back."

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oddly, it is a mixed between " you look super friendly", to " You look like a cold bitch". Probably depends on where they see me first.

Yea I think when I'm lost in my head (some? many?) people view it as a personal affront... It used to bother me a lot more than it does now. :)

People usually think I'm nicer than I actually am. People also tend to think I like them more than I do -- which puts me in a weird position and makes me feel bad about how heartless I am in not liking them that much...

Ah I hate that. I sometimes get people telling me their life stories and I generally find it interesting because I find people interesting. So I ask questions, listen with active interest. I guess I sort of get caught in the moment and forget how it might appear to the other person... It's interesting to hear about people, their motives, their thoughts, their perceptions.
I'm looking at it as more of something interesting to analyse and understand, they think I am empathizing... and then I feel like a shitty person because I wasn't :unsure:
And when I realize that's what they're thinking about me, all I want to do is get the hell outa there. :doh:

Quiet>easygoing>intelligent>weird>polite>trustworthy.

Good, but weird and easygoing should be swapped, and I don't like the word intelligent to describe me - I prefer smart.
I play ISFJ quite well. :ninja:

That's kind of interesting. My INTP husband sometimes plays ISFJ as well.
And I'm curious, what connotations of smart do you prefer to intelligent?

Are you sure? I find that our perspective of self can sometimes be pretty warped. What people see as being refined/good tastes and reserved, others see as being elitist/hipster and antisocial.

Well that's pretty much the reason I find the subject interesting.
If you see yourself as having good taste and another person sees you as a snob, who is right? Is there an objective you that you are both touching on but neither grasping? A person's motives can only really be known by themselves, if after genuine analysis you determine that you don't hold feeling of superiority over other people (something that seems required to be a snob), then you conclude the person's opinion of you is faulty. But what if you keep getting called a snob... is there a point where public opinion can overtake self-knowledge?

I'm just rambling here, stream of consciousness... who knows if this makes any sense. :dry:

I have a perception of myself which I am constantly analysing for truth. Any feedback I get from others is data to be considered and potentially integrated into my understanding of myself. Even if I don't agree with it, it's interesting it see how different people view different behaviors. And it gives insight into that person as well.

Oh, and I used to hear "snob" a lot growing up. Or rather, "Ooh, I thought you were a snob until I got to know you". Hearing that as much as I did turned me into someone who over-explains, which persisted for a long time. I'm looking forward to ditching that habit entirely.

Yea I got snob growing up. I remember vividly the first time someone said it to me. It was my close friend and she said it in this matter-of-fact way that left me shocked and breathless --like I'd been pummeled in the stomach.
"You think you're better than everyone and always have your nose in the air."
Hilarious in a sense, because I was pretty shattered inside at the time and viewed myself as beneath everyone.

I also found myself over explaining, or consciously making an effort to appear friendly. That lasted too many years. And the habit, annoyingly, is still there.

I'm continually told by those that know me best that I'm intelligent (but who hasn't been told this?), perceptive and wise (which I find to be the better compliment)

I agree. :) Maybe because intelligent is too easy of a compliment? It doesn't seem to carry as much meaning.
There are these people in my family who tell everyone "You're so beautiful!" It becomes kind of meaningless after a while...

I tend to think the way you describe others really says more about you than it does them but..

Agree!
That is an even more fascinating subject. :D

My mom says I'm intelligent, but she's got this whole 'living vicariously through her children' thing going on. She values being perceived as intelligent, but is incredibly insecure about it. So when she says that to me, she is making herself feel better.

My sister says I'm crazy because I dyed my hair bright red. She is fastidiously perfect in her blond hair and designer clothing.

I'm not even going into the evil thing. THAT one is too horrible. I'm still crushed by it. :moodeath:
(Did I just call my sister a herd of cows behind her back where she has no chance of defending herself? Oh sweet poetic justice.)

Permabanned
I tend to think the way you describe others really says more about you than it does them but..
^

Highly unlikely that anyone can notice me at all to begin with. And in the odd occasion I do make myself noticed, arrogant, condescending, presumptuous, asshole, detached, philosophical, standoffish, self-assured, are a few words that have been spoken about me.

Those that have might've seen a more private side of me may've tossed out words like charming, easy going, laid back, funny, caring.

It'd should go without saying, there a few people alive that actually do get to see a clear picture of me, thought. :ninja:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been called just about everything under the sun.

G

Glycerine

Extroverts describe me opposite of what introverts describe me as. So it depends. Extroverts describe me as nouns associated mostly with introverts and vice versa.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really know. I don't ask and most people don't volunteer.
Same here. When I was growing up I used to hear: "intelligent, accomplished, perfectionistic, hard-working, mature, inventive" from adults alot, and "weird, anti-social, sometimes bossy" from classmates. Now, I spend my days with people of whom the same was probably said, so it is not remarkable enough to mention. I have been called intense, sometimes scary (?), open-minded/non-judgmental on a personal level, good-hearted (?), devious, demanding, goal-oriented, level-headed, rational, a quick study, and occasionally silly. I suppose at one time or another, each has held some truth.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Kind, nice, intelligent, cool/calm/collected, stressed, bored, aloof, dull, fun, funny, self-absorbed, considerate, obsessed, flexible, stubborn, lacks confidence, hesitant, anxious, good ideas, honest, trustworthy, reliable, organized, absent-minded, inattentive, sensitive, logical, introverted, in my own world, shy, fair.

Writing whatever spontaneously comes to mind not censoring anything. As you can see, some adjectives seem to contradict each other. Like I can be both flexible and stubborn depending on the situation and different people see me differently.

A

A window to the soul

The most notable descriptions come from feedback on dates: "different from other girls" , classy, innocent, sexy, confident, professional, moral, independent, feminine, real, laid back, assertive, fiery, funny, smart, a paradox, hard to figure out, easily distracted, and flighty.

And my all time favorite feedback:
"You’re the first girl to tell me 'no'."
"I'm wearing out the soles of my shoes."

:laugh:

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
People have said to me: cute, calm, perfect (wth?), happy, balanced, quiet, quiet (they say it a lot), hardworking, smart, easy-going, good hearted, frequently late, complicated, forgetful, easily lost, criative, shy, not shy, social, disorganized.

Some of those descriptions make me surpised, like the "perfect" one, but I feel flattered. :D
Happy, balanced and calm are surprising, since I used to have like a storm in my head of not so good thoughts. I admit I've been a lot calmer than I used to be, and maybe that's why they call me calm. But it still feels weird. I find weird also that my dad says I'm calm, and it's weird because he lived with me when I wasn't not even close of being ok with myself... Perhaps he just didn't notice and I was good with not expressing feelings..

I find myself too lazy to be called hardworking, but whatever.

And the rest I'm ok with.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Varies from person to person and how much of myself I'm willing to share with them. Overall, general consensus would agree upon these adjectives, most of the time- empathetic, intelligent, strong, creative, reserved/aloof, neurotic, stubborn, independent, and just plain weird.

IceBlock

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some days ago some of my friends told me the thought of me as an unbeliveably unique person. Someone energetic with the head in skies. But with a very sensitive heart when in close or one-on-one conversations. They said that I treat every person differently, as if I adjusted myself for each one.

But meh, these are just common ENFP traces.

Within the common characteristics people say about me, there are: creative, funny, enthusiastic, emotionally distant, good listener and people often complain about not knowing anything about my personal life and interests. All true.

Last edited:

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find myself too lazy to be called hardworking, but whatever.

One of my parents, can't remember which, called me hardworking before ... :wtf: I am your daughter, how is it possible for you to know me so little... (but maybe they were doing the, 'maybe she'll try and live up to it if I call her that' thing. Hardworking is kind of the ultimate compliment to them.)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Questions like this stump me, I have no answer. I guess I've always been around either people who felt it more important to tell me what I should be, or people who are like brick walls. I never hear people describe me, and make an effort to refrain from thinking the worst of what those those descriptions might be.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Within the common characteristics people say about me, there are: creative, funny, enthusiastic, emotionally distant, good listener and people often complain about not knowing anything about my personal life and interests. All true.

HAHAHA! Very apt ENFP 7w6 traits. [says the fellow ENFP 7w6]

Don't worry, knowing many ENFP females IRL, we can all be unique snowflakes and still be cut from a similar cloth or serve a similar social function. :wink:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think what people say about you, good & bad, says as much about who they are & what they value as much as it says anything about you.
When you're a quiet person, strangers project onto you a lot too... or they just write you off as boring.

My ISFJ mom called me a "pistol" when I was a kid, along with "cantankerous", "ornery", "stubborn", and "temperamental". These were stated in a partly admiring or amused way though. I also will generally hear various forms of "creative", "original", "smart" and "dedicated" or something which indicates I am principled & maintain integrity (this is one thing my ESFJ grandma will emphasize as a positive in me, along with being a "patient teacher" & smart, even as she complains I'm "cold" & "irritable"). Everyone in my family will say most of these too... My sister has called me "hostile, argumentative, depressive, and selfish". Her positive comments are pretty similar to my mom's. Growing up & even now I hear a lot of comments along the lines of being my "own person". I honestly think people get more creative with insults...

I've had two ISTJs tell my I'm sardonic (in a positive way), two ENFPs say I'm unsociable &/or snobby, and a few ENFJs tell me I'm charming (but they tell everyone that). I hear a lot of comments about being guarded & not disclosing much about myself in person. People mostly compliment me on my clothes, something I've created, or being knowledgeable, especially in a helpful way. I'm usually criticized for being temperamental or aloof.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
weird, mean, sneaky, creepy, charming, charismatic, responsible, calming, intimidating, patient, funny, goofy, humble, confident, zaney, intelligent, helpful, nice.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yea I think when I'm lost in my head (some? many?) people view it as a personal affront... It used to bother me a lot more than it does now. :)

Ah I hate that. I sometimes get people telling me their life stories and I generally find it interesting because I find people interesting. So I ask questions, listen with active interest. I guess I sort of get caught in the moment and forget how it might appear to the other person... It's interesting to hear about people, their motives, their thoughts, their perceptions.
I'm looking at it as more of something interesting to analyse and understand, they think I am empathizing... and then I feel like a shitty person because I wasn't :unsure:
And when I realize that's what they're thinking about me, all I want to do is get the hell outa there. :doh:

That is an even more important component for empathy than experience itself.
Why do you want to run though? LOL..

raindancing

actinomycetes
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Y
Why do you want to run though? LOL..

hehe cause they start expecting me to be emotionally involved, when I'm not. I'm only intellectually interested. But by the time I realize, they have already shared enough that they are going to be hurt and offended it they realize I don't care as such. So I'm put in a position of hurting them, pretending to care, or getting the hell outa there. :wink:

(note, this is drastically simplified... but the battery on my laptop is almost dead so no time for deep thinkin)