• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Quirky INFP [Mainly for INFPs]

R

RDF

Where are all these extremely nice INFPs in society? :D

Oh, you know: artsy-craftsy people, amateur philosophers arguing about the meaning of life at parties, wanna-be earth mothers, and so on. :)

If you want to see INFPs around in society, join some halfway-large social groups, like a church social group or a hiking club or a film society or an arts-and-crafts society. INFPs are ultimately “people persons,” so you’ll find a couple in any decent-sized social group.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, you know: artsy-craftsy people, amateur philosophers arguing about the meaning of life at parties, wanna-be earth mothers, and so on. :)

If you want to see INFPs around in society, join some halfway-large social groups, like a church social group or a hiking club or a film society or an arts-and-crafts society. INFPs are ultimately “people persons,” so you’ll find a couple in any decent-sized social group.

Whoa, I missed that memo also... :shock:

I volunteer via my church doing some construction work on the weekends, and I still stick out like a sore thumb. I often take the "lone wolf" route, sitting alone during a break or whatever. It's not just a lack of talent for breaking into cliques; I prefer the peace & quiet sometimes. I like to observe from a distance...

I'm generally not a "joiner", but even in these situations, I find myself on the outskirts, never a part of a group. My motivation is never really about people specifically, but a larger ideal about right/wrong or maybe a personal interest, & that sort of thing. It's like that old joke, "I love humanity - it's people I can't stand". I suppose this supports you could find an INFP in such a place though, but I don't know if we'll all seem particularly "nice" in an approachable way.

I'm very quiet, reserved, and low-key. I don't know if people are interpreting quirky to be kooky, off-the-wall, attention-grabbing behavior. I thought it was emphasized this is not ENFP-like, but instead simply a giving off an odd air, the sort of thing you can't quite put your finger on. It's in the nuances of body movement, facial expressions (and lack thereof), and different ways of phrasing when speaking. I agree with [MENTION=14594]xenaprincess[/MENTION] in this regard. I sometimes think it's poor Fe & Se; the common signals other people use when interacting can go over my head because my mind is elsewhere.

But whimsically charming? No, no, just somewhat awkward & peculiar, tongue-tied, and very absent-minded. I've also always had a sense of being like an alien in a foreign land.... & in the same way foreign people can seem "strange" to locals, so can I. Lots of people are shy or intimidated by groups, but they don't give off this "alien" vibe to people.

I find the playful, whimsical side of myself is very vulnerable & doesn't come out much even with those I'm close to, and I'm just as likely to be sardonic & dry as I am to be playfully silly. The sardonic thing throws people also; they're not quite sure if you're joking. Sometimes its downright inappropriate, but not intentionally, just obliviously. I really think it's the obliviousness now... and I suppose a sensing type would be more aware (ie. ISFJs & ISFPs).

Last edited:
R

RDF

Whoa, I missed that memo also... :shock: [...]

Fair enough. That bit may need to be qualified or rewritten.

My thinking was that we’re not social butterflies, but neither are we usually complete misanthropes. I do run into occasional INFPs participaing in social groups of various types. But who knows, maybe their spouses drag them there against their will. :)

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Perhaps being self-preservation first has some effect on it too. It's like being part of a herd of grazing animals in the African savanna when you know there are carnivores lurking in the tall grass. Being consciously quirky means standing out and attracting unwanted attention. Much safer to be in the middle of the pack.

Or something like that. Brain too tired to come up with a better analogy... :D

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm very quiet, reserved, and low-key. I don't know if people are interpreting quirky to be kooky, off-the-wall, attention-grabbing behavior. I thought it was emphasized this is not ENFP-like, but instead simply a giving off an odd air, the sort of thing you can't quite put your finger on.
But whimsically charming? No, no, just somewhat awkward & peculiar, tongue-tied, and very absent-minded. I've also always had a sense of being like an alien in a foreign land.... & in the same way foreign people can seem "strange" to locals, so can I. Lots of people are shy or intimidated by groups, but they don't give off this "alien" vibe to people.
These are good descriptions of it :yes:

I think there is a distinction between INFP "quirky" and ENFP "kooky". The ENFP brand can be a lot more charming and fun, whereas the INFPs just seem out of step. I like the foreigner analogy - like how people are left perplexed as to whether the 'weirdness' is due to a imperceptible cultural difference/something lost in translation, or if it's just a negative aspect of their nature.

I also lack the "people-person" factor. I am deeply interested in people, but usually at a distance.