• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] ENFPs or INFPs- Which are Better for INTJs?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Where has this thread been hiding? (Ahhhh.... I see it was just moved to the NF Forum due to topic "derailment".)

Answer to the OP: Before I dive in and read this thread (which interests me greatly) I have to give my answer to the OP's question: ENFP. Hands down. Not even close. ENFP is totally perfect for INTJs. INFPs are, in general, a terrible idea as an INTJ mate.

OK. Now I'll go back and read the rest of this thread before posting a more complete answer.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
AfF7Z.png
S53v5.png
kzyFV.png

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Where has this thread been hiding? (Ahhhh.... I see it was just moved to the NF Forum due to topic "derailment".)

Answer to the OP: Before I dive in and read this thread (which interests me greatly) I have to give my answer to the OP's question: ENFP. Hands down. Not even close. ENFP is totally perfect for INTJs. INFPs are, in general, a terrible idea as an INTJ mate.

OK. Now I'll go back and read the rest of this thread before posting a more complete answer.

Saved for posterity.

Tbh, I have a hard time believing this was not some ruse.

It was just... too perfect.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I would like to apologize for offending the ENFPs. That was not my intention, but my remarks were poorly phrased and not considered enough in their impact. <snip>

Very gracious. Impressive.

NFPFTW :solidarity:

I love the depth of the INFP. As friends INFPs are somehow amazingly encouraging of what is good. I went snowboarding one depressing weekend because my friend suggested it rather than selfishly asking me to hang out online. I've tried to learn to focus on what is good for other people because of knowing INFPs.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In theory, the INFP is ideal for no one. We are the antithesis of the social ideal (which one? most any one), and therefore not what people imagine when they dream of their hypothetical, perfect match.

Many a thread has been made about what type fits best with what other type; no type ever calls dibs on the INFP. The ENTJs would prefer the INTP, or maybe their true "dual", the ISFP (or something else altogether). The ENFJs too prefer the Ti-dom. The ENFPs just like us as buddies....etc, etc, etc.

That's untrue. From here:

INFPs and ISTJs generally exhibit a natural predator/prey relationship, which, though it might appear harsh and cruel from the outside, is all part of the natural cycle of life. In fact, were it not for the predation of the ISTJ, the population of INFPs would soon grow to unsustainable levels, overwhelming the ability of their ecological niche to support them.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Translation: ISTJs are boring & INFPs are too empathetic to say no sometimes. How ideal! :ack!:

Many ISTJs would choose the ExFPs as well, though, or even a fellow sensing ISFP or ESFJ. It's no clear win for the INFP there either. Of course, I am speaking of theory. In reality, a good-looking INFP may trump a homely ExFP easily, and that's perhaps when the Te-dom come calling.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's cool. Infps have all kinds of good stuff...just might be better to state it without tearing others down in the process. Enfps are vocal and will take issue with it.

Thanks for the clarification n stuff Mia.

Starry

But do you think it's actually the case?

Man...I don't know how to answer this question.

All I can say is that I personally prefer INxJ men. It is what I am attracted to and what works best for me. I totally don't relate to this whole *INxJ men fluffy bunny vulnerable bs*. I mean sure...everyone feels vulnerable from time to time...(and whatever you do in your own bedroom is your own bizness). But I actually see INxJ men as forces-to-be-reckoned with. Masculine and brilliant...with INTJ men having the added bonus of me knowing (absolutely) I can totally be myself without accidently hurting their feelings. It is just a really comfortable dynamic for me where I feel like I actually have something to bring to the table (and it's not a whole bunch of the same) and none of that would change if it was somehow *scientifically demonstrated* that the INFP-INTJ dynamic was 'better'.

But everyone is different. I think there are tons of INTJs out there that would prefer INFPs.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

No offense, but this was the biggest lop of crap I've read in a long time.

What about it?

I don't see the problem with Te needing to direct Fi.

Ni being a perceptive function though focused still has the influence of the external world and so as that changes so does Ni and if that changes enough the solidity of the feeling function can't quite grasp it. Fi is too deeply seeded in order to necessarily understand change due to physical standards thus INFP being confused, also why ISFP's can grasp it because there values are changed by the environment consciously as Ni's is subconsciously.

Ne-Ni combinations move too abstractly. I think that makes perfect sense, there is nothing motivating them towards effecting reality.

Se is about action. Immediacy. Two intuitive dominants are not. I suppose you don't always need to form a relationship on the plane of creation, but in its idealistic form thought comes to life.

I find this interesting...

Obviously, we've got two prominent INFP-ESTJ marriages on this board, so there definitely be something to it.

It seems very fire or ice: either IFPs hate Te-doms and/or an individual Te-user, or love them.

Could just be volatility associated with rejection of/aspiration toward the inferior.

Yeah, I didn't like ETJs when I was younger. Their methods seemed impersonal and brutal and horrible to me.

I gradually realized, however, that I didn't have infinite time and energy resources, and that there were more efficient ways of getting what I wanted, and I started developing greater appreciation for individuals who were willing to nudge me towards the appropriate short cuts. So yes, I'm a big fan of people who gracefully wield a function I'm not so great at, and embracing Te instead of railing against it has been extremely helpful to me all my life.

That said, Te still sounds pretty bad on paper to me. Reading any of the four TJ descriptions on a website will still send shivers of distaste down my spine. It just doesn't translate into my actual interactions with TJs, which are usually positive.

Will be awaiting...

Okay. The thing that bugs me the most about INTJs is when they get fixated on an idea or impression or opinion that I KNOW is wrong because there's not a damn thing I can do about it, becayse I don't have the skills to put together an argument based on immediately available data and talk back to them in their own Te tongue. And let's face it, Fi is not always so great at explaining itself. It WANTS to do more than have a hissy fit and it wants to get past the mess but it's not really capable of doing more than saying, "Yeah, well, YOU'RE JUST A POOPY FACE, INTJ," especially when it's frustrated at the wrongness. Needless to say, the INTJ is entirely unimpressed by this response.

It would be much more helpful if I could suggest alternatives in a genuinely not-vested manner, or entertain the INTJ's insight without sticking my fingers in my ears from the get go and going "WRONGWRONGWRONGWRONG" but as it is, I have no good way of getting anything through their thick skulls. This is very rarely an issue with ENTJs as we're both more interested in finding the right solution and using it than in just being right.

Given enough time and understanding and patience, things can work out. I just don't have any guarantee that they will and as far as INTJs are concerned, I don't really feel like there's anything I, personally, can do about the situation. That is deeply distressing to have to deal with.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not even just infps. It's introverts in general with their I'm more special because you have to work for it shit. It's not just this thread you see it referenced all the time. It's annoying. Like we take a long time to decide we like someone and want to be friendly to you so it means so much more than those shallow extroverts who just go around being nice to everyone all the time!! I mean how crass!!
I don't consider myself more special because someone had to "work" to get close to me. I consider them special because they put out the effort to do so.

I don't consider myself more special because someone had to "work" to get close to me. I consider them special because they put out the effort to do so.

This, exactly. Someone who does this is entirely worth my time and affection. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aww that's very sweet. :)

I'm pretty sure my infp bf shares that sentiment.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not even just infps. It's introverts in general with their I'm more special because you have to work for it shit. It's not just this thread you see it referenced all the time. It's annoying. Like we take a long time to decide we like someone and want to be friendly to you so it means so much more than those shallow extroverts who just go around being nice to everyone all the time!! I mean how crass!!

It's ridiculous.

I married an extrovert. I am more special for knowing her.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's ridiculous.

Ah huh, well with that being said I can see where you're coming from with this, I really havn't been around here long enough to see the bigger picture in that sense. I don't think that is what other introverts are trying to project, although I can't speak for them as a whole of course (and if it is, I don't like or understand it). but I definately don't see it as a case of "im more special than you." It's more of a this is what i'm comfortable with and I know they are overly high standards to meet. There's a big price for this, but I still stick with it because it's what keeps me safe - not because doing anything otherwise would be "shallow".

A

Anew Leaf

Well, after reading this depressing dollap of crap about how INFPs belong with no one and no one loves INFPs, eff that.

ENFP it is.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Rehashing the INTJ-NFP bit, I am of the opinion that much of what Mia and Zarathustra were discussing could be more e-gram related that purely cognition, and cognition behaviors at that. I think Mia offered up some really good points, INFP's shouldn't be ruled out because INTJ-INFP pairing does happen quite a bit and it can be something very special.

However, I do disagree on ENFP's lacking staying power in relations. I believe NFP's can both generally struggle with grass is greener issues, but every ENFP I know IRL including myself has tremendous staying power once we have decided to commit to a person. One ENFP guy I know almost killed himself, literally, over his passionless swamp of a marriage to an ENTP for 6 years. He tried everything imagineable to make that work (and has since found an nice INFJ girl that he's been with for 2). I've personally been in 3 long term pairings with 2 of them running 5+. Another male 6w7 ENFP I know is deeply commited to his marriage, it is his life-blood.

My guess is that ENFP 7's could potentially struggle a bit more, but look at the cores here. E7 key: "maintain their freedom and happiness, avoid missing out on worthwhile experiences, keep themselves excited and occupied, avoid and discharge pain."
INFP E4: express themselves and their individuality, create and surround themselves with beauty, maintain certain moods and feelings, withdraw to protect their self-image, take care of emotional needs before attending to anything else, attract a "rescuer."
INFP E9: create harmony in their environment, avoid conflicts and tension, preserve things as they are, resist whatever would upset or disturb them.

But let us not forget that all INFP's are not 4 and 9, all ENFP's are not 7, and even if they are their level of health and life experience will have great impact on these fixations.

I have a strong distaste for alot of the sweeping generalizations in this thread. Theorizing can be fun but on this level of vague interpretations I struggle to find any real nectar or practical application. I don't really get ruffled up when someone type slams with inflamatory remarks because what they are really talking about is their limited sample rate or some kind of theoretical, one-fucking-dimensional shadow person, lol.

When considering compatibility I'd be far more interested in looking at how aux and dom Fi interact with INTJ tert.. along with the other function placements. How the enneagram + wings could play out, etc.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM-heMFgzrc"]ahahah[/YOUTUBE]

R

RDF

[...]The problem is that, if I ever have an interest in an INFP, it never ends up turning into anything, cuz I give my indicators of interest, and then theirs, as it seems to have been in this case, seem to be the most duddy duds that have ever dudded this duddy dud. You can't tell whether a drop of water just plopped into a puddle or whether they want to get it on froggy style. ENFPs at least give some kind of workable response. They play the game. With INFPs you never have any idea what the fuck they're thinking. Shit is always just D.O.A.

The inevitable conclusion, of course, is:

The trouble I see with an INTJ/INFP pairing is that INTJs interact with the world via Te, and the Inferior function of INFPs is Te. That’s going to make INTJs sound more than a little jarring to INFPs.

In my own personal experience with INTJs:

I was a male INFP male working with lots of INTJs in my last workplace, and I took pride that I could put on a good Te facade and interact calmly and comfortably with INTJs. But it was always nice to get away from them and decompress after working with them for a while.

I enjoy the presence of INTJs, mostly because I find them a bit of a challenge to be with. It’s fun to make that transition and show that I can keep up. Meantime, I take it for granted that it’s up to me to adapt to them rather than vice versa. And I don’t resent that or anything; when I get my fill of it, I can just walk away.

As for a match-up between an INTJ male and INFP female (which was the subject of the original thread), there would be a double obstacle in that a lot of INFP females seem to like to hang back and be “courted.” I know that description is probably going to cause problems with other INFP readers, but that’s the best way I can put it. I suppose it has something to do with wanting to know if suitors are a good match with their INFP values before committing to a course of action, or something like that. Or just traditional introversion.

Anyway, I can see that all as a big problem. INTJs interact with the world via Te, which is a solution-oriented or organization-oriented function. They’re probably not going to be happy with the INFP’s traditional Ne approach: open-ended, playful, wait-and-see, I-want-to-be-courted. If anything, INTJs seem to need to be courted in return: They need the INFP to put on a Te facade and show that they (INFPs) can keep up or at least not be turned off by an organizational, results-oriented approach to the world.

Obviously any two types can get along. But many INFPs are pretty phobic of Te. That’s going to be a big obstacle. So in the end, I can anticipate an interaction pretty much like Zarathustra describes in the quote at the top of this post: That is, the girl is going to feel bruised by a lot of Te energy, and the guy is going to get put off by the lack of clear results.

Other possible scenarios:

An INFP guy might be able to win an INTJ woman. That is, an INFP guy may be willing to adopt a good Te facade and have an ethic that “you have to play the game in order to get the prize,” i.e. be wiling to be a little more forward and do some courting. And an INTJ woman may have learned to put on facades to soften or mask her traditional Te approach. INFP males are taught by the world to “man up” a bit, and INTJ woman are probably taught that they need to be more feminine. So this might be a possible match-up.

Alternatively, there might be INTJ males who are willing to learn to put on facades to soften or mask their traditional Te approach and who might be willing to court an INFP female as needed (i.e., via Ne or a good facsimile thereof). I think it would be a fun challenge for the right INTJ male. But in practice I haven’t really seen that happen.