• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP's and mental illness

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have actually developed a theory that mental illness is merely an imbalance between individual and environment. We change our behavior to survive(basic instinct), but unsafety of our environment doesn't give us enough room to be who we are. We suffocate something inside of us and come ill. It's an inner fear that society leaves "different" people out of it and without protection. We are animals as far as i can see. INFP's need more than an average person, but i have seen that they(and similar types/traits) can also give more.

Sometimes self-diagnosis seems silly. It's like thinking: "You know, you cant Yourself tell whats wrong with you. You need someone else for that(make diagnosis)". While many people might not be talented of reading themselves and want some diagnosis to comfort themselves(have something for themselves), my ability to self-diagnose is an effort to understand me. Different names, such as Major Depression or Bipolar are something that guide us to know ourselves, but in the end human mind is fluid and specific diagnosis can be harmful. I definitely have had several mental illnesses, but never gotten official diagnosis for them. I don't need it. I know myself and that's enough. I we would have enough care and love, no one would need pills. Excuse me for my essay, this is a bit touchy topic to me :duel:

did they effect your functioning?

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yay!!! let's self diagnose and overthink into having a diagnosis, yay helping pharmaceutical companies!!!

This is how arguments begin: by criticizing opinions that are foreign from yours

I'm getting people to wake up

Sometimes all you can do is wait it out. Let them go through all the trial and tribulation until they see their errors. How fun would life be if someone gave you all the answers. Where would be the challenge in that?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
This is how arguments begin: by criticizing opinions that are foreign from yours

Sometimes all you can do is wait it out. Let them go through all the trial and tribulation until they see their errors. How fun would life be if someone gave you all the answers. Where would be the challenge in that?

oh no! an argument! I must go bury myself in a bunker 50 feet underground!

MadKitten

MBTI Type
INFP
did they effect your functioning?

I apologize, but im not sure do i understand question correctly. When i had my mental illness i was unable to live normal live and were dependent on my abusive parents in all level's. Naturally my view's of myself and world were strongly disoriented. Or are you asking specific things about my thought patterns, emotions, odd behavior or other symptoms?

One cant take an answer to a question they haven't yet asked. But when they do, it's good that there is people who can give them some advise or direction that they are in right path. But, i agree, that it's persons own duty to make that discovery his/herself.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I apologize, but im not sure do i understand question correctly. When i had my mental illness i was unable to live normal live and were dependent on my abusive parents in all level's. Naturally my view's of myself and world were strongly disoriented. Or are you asking specific things about my thought patterns, emotions, odd behavior or other symptoms?
so you couldn't function, but can now? but you never got professionally diagnosed? how does that work? what were the illnesses?

MadKitten

MBTI Type
INFP
so you couldn't function, but can now? but you never got professionally diagnosed? how does that work? what were the illnesses?

Im trying to catch your thinking. I never directly approached my mental problems as "illness" i just used symptoms under different labeled mental illnesses to explain situation to myself. You wonder how i could survive without any "doctor" or "diagnose"? Is that it? I dont need other people to tell me what im sick of - i can find it out myself. I talk to myself like im in a relationship with myself as we are. My life otherwise is a mystery.
Putting a label to illnesses i had: depression, social anxiety, panic disorder, ptsd, bipolar symptoms(mania) and personality disorders.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Im trying to catch your thinking. I never directly approached my mental problems as "illness" i just used symptoms under different labeled mental illnesses to explain situation to myself. You wonder how i could survive without any "doctor" or "diagnose"? Is that it? I dont need other people to tell me what im sick of - i can find it out myself. I talk to myself like im in a relationship with myself as we are. My life otherwise is a mystery.
Putting a label to illnesses i had: depression, social anxiety, panic disorder, ptsd, bipolar symptoms(mania) and personality disorders.

but you said you were self diagnosed as having one, so what was it?

MadKitten

MBTI Type
INFP
but you said you were self diagnosed as having one, so what was it?

Oh, i see. We are apparently talking quite different things :drunk: . I would like to know what term "self diagnosis" means to you (sorry if im being stupid, im not native speaker), because for me it is simply non-professional individuals testimony that he/she "thinks" he/she has some illness. "Diagnosis" itself is something official that with doctor can confirm the presence of an illness. Nice conversation anyways....maybe im not on the board completely :imok:

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One cant take an answer to a question they haven't yet asked. But when they do, it's good that there is people who can give them some advise or direction that they are in right path. But, i agree, that it's persons own duty to make that discovery his/herself.

This is not true. An answer doesn't need a question as a precursor to be given. You simply shouldn't approach others with unwanted solutions, it's an intrusion of their privacy, especially knowing that it's very personal matters being discussed here.

No one person's philosophy on how they should choose to live their life is better than any others. This is why we live in a world of opinions, not fact. Where fact is mostly based on popular opinion, you can still choose the path less traveled.

From google dictionary:
an·swer
/ˈansər/ noun :a thing said, written, or done to deal with or as a reaction to a question, statement, or situation.

MadKitten

MBTI Type
INFP
This is not true. An answer doesn't need a question as a precursor to be given. You simply shouldn't approach others with unwanted solutions, it's an intrusion of their privacy, especially knowing that it's very personal matters being discussed here.

No one person's philosophy on how they should choose to live their life is better than any others. This is why we live in a world of opinions, not fact. Where fact is mostly based on popular opinion, you can still choose the path less traveled.

From google dictionary:
an·swer
/ˈansər/ noun :a thing said, written, or done to deal with or as a reaction to a question, statement, or situation.

I couldn't say any better. I may have made an error of thought or/and interpreted myself badly. Though i never said that there is a one correct answer or one correct path. Perhaps sometimes the answer is the question...

infpgemini

Ive read before that INFP's are more succeptable to developing a mental illness, especially depression - as our view of the world is so innocent, we see the world through rose colored glasses, and obviously we have been let down by people in our past. What are your thoughts? Do any of you struggle with a mental disorder?
I'm an infp and I have bipolar disorder, anxiety, and psychosis... so I don't know if this helps you, but in my case yes

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
People with mental illness are also likely to mistype as INFPs due to for example being in Fi grip.