• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP concentration

Tenraiel

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have a question. But before the question, I'd like to say something about myself. Through my, admittedly sparse, research and reading I've seen a lot of things saying that we ENFP's are really good at starting projects (those projects being work, hobby, relationships, w/e) and that we have a tendency to not carry through so well if we get bogged down in procedures, processes, rudimentary work, yadayada. In my experience, that's definately me. However, I've seen little to nothing about another ... I guess "talent"? ... yea, we'll go with talent: I can concentrate VERY well on most things that I deem important or necessary. I can be scarily efficient and productive with work and school. It can be with a myriad of activities or a person. I find that it's never directed at different people though: the girl on my mind is not lightly dethroned. This concentration I'm talking about though, is not just regular stuff. Nuh-uh. It's like everything else in the world might as well have evaporated. The object of my focus is my world. Often I can have someone in my face talking to me and be oblivious to what they said - pulling my attention away and toward them is like being pulled out of a very deep and satisfying sleep.

My question: (I'm assuming varying strengths of said trait) Is this an enfp thing, as in, is this an often shared trait and if so, in what ways have you found this enhances and/or detracts from your life experiences.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
While not exactly what you were talking about, I'm going to address the usually "scatter-brained" ENFPs' ability to hyper-focus. I don't know how to quote from other threads, but here's a copy-paste from BlueWing's "ENFP Profile" thread (on page 2 or three of the NF threads):

"In order for the ENFP

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
What the... Sorry about that. Here's the rest:

"In order for the ENFP’s vision to be fulfilled, he needs to arrive at a situation where he picks up the hunch that his vision has been realized...
As aforementioned, because of the ENFP’s lack of focus on external perception he is compelled to draw all of his energy into the external endeavor. As Jung commented, for this reason the ENFP tends to embody his vision. He becomes one with the essence he is currently preoccupied with. We have here a radically paradoxical notion.
The generally unfocused ENFP here focuses on his vision with blazing intensity the point of becoming one with it. Essentially, unlike the judging dominant types, the ENFP does not need to focus on any one particular thing, but rather on the general scope of his environment. Thus the ENFP can easily be preoccupied with his pursuit of the entire vision whilst shifting from activity to activity whilst undertaking his project. Extroverted Intuition is often malleable and can easily be influenced by the external environment, as we mentioned it lacks the grid of judgment. The ENFP can very easily be focused on one particular task at one point and by way of external circumstances be blown away to be focused with the same intensity on something radically different.
This problem can be rectified only through cultivation of Introverted Feeling, which is the backbone to his psyche. At this point the ENFP will have a clear, internal focus on his activities and will not rely on external perceptions for guidance.
Because the ENFP requires changes in his environment, as an Extroverted perceiver and depends on the outward scenario due to the factor of Extroversion, he depends almost wholly on outward stimulation for his energy. Thus when the external environment is satisfactory, the energy level will likely be high where he will devote most of it to the current endeavor he is pursuing."

I hope that wasn't too painful... I tried to bold the important parts. Being the Extroverted perciever I am, I'll leave the interpretation to you. :coffee:

Tenraiel

MBTI Type
ENFP
Wow, I musta skipped that one, it's basically what I was looking for. It says that "This problem can be rectified ...". Thing is though, that I don't consider this a problem. I know that I'm able to do this and because I can concentrate so well I can, for instance, put off papers well beyond what my peers feel comfortable and produce a product of equal (relatively, sometimes worse, sometimes better) quality. This has done nothing for me but save me time and headache.

Great find on that excerpt dude/dudet. Just sayin', doesn't seem like a "problem." Do any other enfp's use this to their advantage?

Battle

MBTI Type
ENFP
Are you smoking weed while engaging in these "projects"

i know when i used to smoke id get crazy focused on whatever i was doing at the moment.

cleaning, videogames, movies, whatever it was i was really in to doing.

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
My question: (I'm assuming varying strengths of said trait) Is this an enfp thing, as in, is this an often shared trait and if so, in what ways have you found this enhances and/or detracts from your life experiences.

Yes. I know I do. I can concentrate for hours on a project with efficiency and productivity. It sucks me innnnnnnnnnnnnn. I get lost in that world! Someone has to pull me out pretty forcefully, like you said.
It becomes a fascination, an obsession! It can get pretty intense too.

" Do any other enfp's use this to their advantage?
Yes I do. Though it depends what one is fixated on. But if its special and dear to me, I do try to absorb as much as I can, be as creative as I can, and solve as much of the problem as I can. Trying to understand something and making a change is important at this stage. I will feel satisfied when I have completed the task, understood it, or did enough work for a change to take place at a later stage. It feels when one has made a difference (be it understanding, making others understand, doing a good work, or simply finishing a pet project). Im sure this is true for relationships too. Giving it your best and being absorbed into someone is rewarding. :)

"scatter-brained" ENFPs' ability to hyper-focus.

Thanks for the link phoenix. heheh and its true about the scatter-brain ENFPs.
:D

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
However, I've seen little to nothing about another ... I guess "talent"? ... yea, we'll go with talent: I can concentrate VERY well on most things that I deem important or necessary. I can be scarily efficient and productive with work and school.

I am very much like you in this sense. I can be very productive and very good in multitasking. I have carried out successfully long projects and reached the goals I have set to myself.

It might be that if you are balanced with your third function, Te, then you would be good in completing your projects.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
In certain crises situations (let's say, something's on fire? someone gets mugged?) I'm awesome. I'm calm, cool, collected and I can even direct people and get things handled until crises point passes. I reserve my freak out for much later, and even then it's internal (?)

But blindside me and bombard me with a lot of Ti/Se, SJ, TJ stuff -- my god, I CRUMBLE. I was seriously starting to unravel at my last hellish job, I could not concentrate, my sleeping pattersn were all effed up, I was jittery, I basically couldn't get anything done, that's how badly my concentration was shot.

It wasn't just the pressure with reaching goals and interacting with clients, but it was the isolation and hostility I felt everyday on the job.

So in certain pressure situations, ENFP concentration is a lifesaver, in other situations, it's a TRAIN WRECK.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
In certain crises situations (let's say, something's on fire? someone gets mugged?) I'm awesome. I'm calm, cool, collected and I can even direct people and get things handled until crises point passes. I reserve my freak out for much later, and even then it's internal (?).
Dudes, me too!!! When shit hits the fan, (sudden life or death situations or confrontations with the po-9, etc.), I'm incredibly calm, cool, and collected, i.e. I *don't* freak out and am able to make incredibly rational decisions. I think I have a really high tolerance for crisis situations, it's weird and I don't really understand why... :shock:

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
maybe we're made for emergency situations. When stuff's boring, we're distracted due to an overflow of energy. But when shizah hits the fan, our bases are comfortably loaded (whilst everyone else's are overloaded), and we save the day.
I love how I pull metaphor after metaphor out of my butt, crap though they may be. I need to get some sleep! :zzz:

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Yep, I get this ultra-concentration at times, too. I can't focus, I can't focus, I can't focus, and then finally, finally I can concentrate enough to get stuff done - I may as well get as much done in these uncommon instances as possible!

The times it usually happens is when I have a deadline and so I have no choice but to focus and work - once I'm focused I can stay focused for hours and hours on end. It's definitely a major plus when it comes to cramming and last-minute work like that, but on the other hand, my time management skills are very poor - all through high school I coped just fine (even more than fine) with last-minute study/homework and nothing more.

However, I'm doing a degree now which involves huge projects - like easily 40+ hours of work each. Which, regardless of one's concentration skills, one simply cannot produce the night before. So it's been a seriously steep learning curve for me, and even now I'm still struggling to work consistently. I'm getting there, but yeah, it's definitely not a natural sort of method for me. So, it's definitely advantageous to have, but we really have to be careful not to completely forget about just concentrating normally! :)

Example: I had to present a class today (so a 45-minute or so talk), but my thumb drive freaked out and I had to start everything again at around midnight last night... :ninja: Somehow, I was able to work right through and up to the 8am class, and then present the thing as if I'd practiced it a hundred times. So that was eight hours straight - not counting what I'd worked on before it freaked out, and at the end of it I was as clear and coherent as if I'd had all the sleep in the world. (For the record, though, I did indeed need a nap later in the day. :tongue:)

But yeah, and I know I've done 12+ hour stints before without much more than a short break.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
In certain crises situations (let's say, something's on fire? someone gets mugged?) I'm awesome. I'm calm, cool, collected and I can even direct people and get things handled until crises point passes. I reserve my freak out for much later, and even then it's internal (?)

I'm not necessarily very good in real crisis situations. It depends totally on my mood, how much I have had sleep etc. I can be really great in crisis or I can be really bad in crisis.

I think ISTP's are one of the best types in crises situations. They stay so cool and unemotional in those situations. Totally reliable in crisis unlike me. ;)

Battle

MBTI Type
ENFP
i handle pressure well ( i think), but im not too sure that has anything to do with type...

im just really good in crises situations because i try to keep everyone as calm as possible, and i stay calm myself, so im able to get work done.

Btw.. Michael Jordan is an ISTP.... that explains a lot

Skittles

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Just came back from a final today, for a class I did no work for until yesterday night, when I had a cram session for 8 hours.. It's interesting that when I take tests, especially multiple choice where they use similar/same questions from previous hws/quizzes, I remember EVERYTHING. But I have to cram it, I find that I am best cramming since I tend to forget things if I try to study over a longer period. My short term memory is almost photographic however. Well, not exactly photographic, more like when I'm taking the test I know the answer in an instant because I feel like I've seen it before.. I know this question, and I know the answer! But ask me to tell you the answer after and I couldn't tell ya. Is that Ne at work? Cause I manage to finish tests in a jiffy and am out the door after 15 minutes

Also when I become interested in things I am usually obsessed with the subject for weeks, months. People tell me to shut up cause I'm talking about it so much :D but after the intense research I quickly get bored and move onto something else to be crazy about.

And in stressful situations I turn into this down to business, no funny stuff version of myself :shock: scary

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Actually, I'll rephrase myself. In some crisis situations I can be totally clear headed and calm and very 'all business' -- perhaps it's the ISTJ 'shadow' peeking through?

In other high pressure situations, I totally come apart just like Osso Bucco in the oven (or maybe 'stew in the pressure cooker' would be a better analogy...)

It partially depends on my mindset. If I walk into a crisis, it's much easier for me to direct things for a bit. If I'm in charge and suddenly stuff hits the fan, I can crumble or I can rise to the occasion.

Nameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
I totally believe we were built for/are turned on by emergency situations.

What the procrastinating does is turn it into an emergency situation at a certain point, and the overdrive occurs...I have been wondering for years how to turn that on at will. If anyone knows, please share!

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Hey! I'm the first non-ENFP to post here! I've got nothing to add, I lost concentration reading the OP, but I'm the first, dammit!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
MBTI prayers.

"ENFP: God, help me to keep my mind on one th -Look a bird- ing at a time."

Kinda says it all really :devil:

Skittles

MBTI Type
ESFJ
LOL Nameless, emergency situations TOTALLY turn me on. Seriously, it's the reason why I procrastinate hahaha

For example, if I try to work on a paper a week early in hopes of finishing it quick and not having to worry about it later (pffffft) I end up spending like 5 hours a day on it just trying to concentrate and STILL sidetracking and sidetracking until I write like.. a page a day. Leave a paper til the day before it's due and my brain flips a switch, DO or DIE situation, better get your butt up and goin'!! Adrenaline rush!!! I'm totally addicted lol, plus the few times I have failed at this I felt such utter disappointment with myself that I never want to experience that again :D

Side note I wonder if that's the reason my Se is so high, or do I love the rush cause of a high Se?