• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What about your introvert/extrovert counterpart?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I find it interesting that several people on this thread have noted that their introvert/extravert counterpart is great chemistry as a friend but not so great chemistry as a lover. This mirrors my own experience. I get along with INFPs very well. We naturally click. But when it comes to dating, I don't have any romantic chemistry with INFPs. I've always thought this strange yet significant.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I get along well with most ENTPs. The main difference is that they are more wacky and 'out there' compared to myself. I'm more quiet and subdued. They are more into debating things than I am. They see it as something to do for fun whereas I don't do it for its own sake, rather its to clarify some idea because I seek logical consistency. I think for ENTPs the ideas are like an end in themselves and not quite as concerned about logical consistency or having it all fit together but being Ti users they still value it.

Another difference is they seem to be more impulsive and less cautious.

ENTPs are pretty cool. I usually like them. Entertaining, interesting, sharp, funny, lots of enthusiasm for the sort of things I can get enthused about myself. Some of the stronger Es can get to be a bit much for me at times, but the same is true for any extrovert type.

Same here.

Burger King

I get along very well with the ENFPs I know. I can be as social and extroverted as they are, but overall I lean more towards a reserved demeanor and am more withholding, while they are more flighty and seem less withholding.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFJs are generally pleasant & fun to interact with, as we do share similar frameworks, but the dominant Fe can get under my skin sometimes, and the ''shepherding'' that some engage in can feel suffocating. It can also be frustrating when I can see it clouding their logic. Likely it frustrates me more with people who share similarities to me, because I hate whenever I personally stumble into some of my own Fe mental fog.

Date one, ehh.. been there, done that. He's essentially a sociopath, though, so I don't base my attraction/lack of attraction solely on my experiences with him. Overall, I find other Feelers to be better left as friends. And they make darn good friends.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get along well with most ENTPs. The main difference is that they are more wacky and 'out there' compared to myself. I'm more quiet and subdued. They are more into debating things than I am. They see it as something to do for fun whereas I don't do it for its own sake, rather its to clarify some idea because I seek logical consistency. I think for ENTPs the ideas are like an end in themselves and not quite as concerned about logical consistency or having it all fit together but being Ti users they still value it.

Another difference is they seem to be more impulsive and less cautious.

Same here.

I find it interesting that several people on this thread have noted that their introvert/extravert counterpart is great chemistry as a friend but not so great chemistry as a lover.
Same here on all counts.

I come from a background totally devoid of NTP's. (almost all TJ, and mostly of the S variety). So I was the lone weirdo, basically. The person I know who knows type and identifies as ENTP is Jenocyde, and she is so interesting. (I've really been missing her after our last meetup, and now it will probably be more difficult with her having a baby).
The "light and airiness" shared in common with fellow Ne dom. ENFP, but with a more "tough-minded" logical streak. And it's Ti, so is compatible with my main perspective, and not as cold and directive as the all too familiar Te.

Like a more expressive version of me, able to swing back and forth between silliness and seriousness. And doesn't think I'm weird, or even rude if I cut in and go off on a tangent. (She was like, "that's fine, let's go with that thought", and I recognized that must be the dom. Ne difference).
Being extraverted, and with Fe a tad higher, they also seem better with people, and will stick up for you strongly against others.

However, having a relationship with one, the way I see it, as another NT, which I identify as "Choleric in Control": http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Control/choleric-control.htm That I recognize as the tough side of my own [otherwise opposite] personality that won't back down in a conflict, and fights to the finish, often with an endless battle of "oneupmanship". It's difficult enough with an ESFJ, which is Sanguine with Melancholy in Control. So they are expressive, and also structure-focused like the NT (which leads to being more guarded as to personal boundaries), yet with the Fe/cooperativeness, they will at least eventually back down, and won't go as far to step on your toes, get you back, etc. An ENTP (Sanguine-Choleric) I imagine, will be just as explosive, but not back down. And, likely not be as empathetic either. And with their expressiveness, they will have an edge over me. So I would be leary about it.
I imagine that having the same "intelligence variant" (last three letters, same functions), there would be less of a tendency to clash in the first place, than with the S/N and especially J/P conflicts. But in any relationship, there will be conflicts eventually, and I don't know if it could last as sensitive as I am. (Would even have to worry about getting locked into endless wars with a fellow INTP).

maskara

MBTI Type
FiNe
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like ENFPs. They come in so many different flavors of insane.
The male ones I know are really helpful people. Easy to trust, despite their eccentric appearance. Most of them share my tastes in music/film. Really considerate too. They will come up with all sorts of funny shit all day long.
Then there's this one gay ENFP I know. I wouldn't trust him with my life, but he's one of the most artistic people I know. Craziest, too (breaking into abandoned buildings while high on stuff).
I find female ENFPs somewhat slightly irritating, though... at least the ones I know. Acting all naive, and silly and "random" on purpose, I guess (amplified after having them read the stereotypical ENFP descriptions lol). It's all good, though. When something exciting is happening, they're the best companions to share it with. Best big smiles in the world, too.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I'll do both ENTPs and ESTPs since I'm not 100% sure if I'm N or S. Both I find annoying to a degree.

ENTPs are good fun to be around, and they always seem to have something interesting to say. I find it interesting how they can be so relaxed about certain things, but so uptight about others, like they're both "loose" and "hard" simultaneously... I always find myself catering to their needs in that regard, more so than other people. One ENTP in particular I've been friends with since college, but lately we've been growing apart. I think we still relate to each other, but our interests don't overlap as much as before. Others seem to dwell on topics that I don't really care about, and I find it harder to relate to them. For example, another that I know is very fond of trivia in all forms -- sports trivia, entertainment trivia, history trivia, etc. -- which bores the heck out of me.

ESTPs are also a lot of fun, but in a different way. My interests almost always overlap with ESTPs, so I find myself doing activities with them. But our approach to activities is usually different-- they always seem to be pushing for greatness in some way, and will almost always be better than me at whatever we're doing. But despite their betterness, they don't usually flaunt it, or even seem to criticize me, which is nice. However, they can sometimes be narcissists, which is seriously the most annoying thing I can think of. I've avoided developing friendships with a couple because of their narcissism.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I love ENFJs. My most enlightening mindbending experiences in life have happened after some prolonged ENFJ exposure. I also love the fact that if I'm 16 and wanting to run off to Japan to a nunnery, they don't think it's unusual, but ask if they can come with. I love that you can do sneaky undercover missions with them serial infiltrating religious compounds, or pretending you're polish existentialist tourists. I love the fact that neither ever remembers where the place we're going to is and get lost and have fun. And i love that it's ok to have a picnic in a train with no purpose of actually visiting anywhere but just cause it sounded like a fun idea. :D

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
INFPs are pretty awesome, I've had two very close friends who were INFP.

----
I find female ENFPs somewhat slightly irritating, though... at least the ones I know. Acting all naive, and silly and "random" on purpose, I guess
You could argue that INFPs act emo on purpose. Or any type acts like themselves on purpose ;)

Permabanned
IME, INTP's are...peculiar, we mostly get along well, albeit they can come off as being uptight, to my own standards. It's not so much the narrow-mindedness as it is a blind-spot, as their Ti rambles endlessly, complaining if they get interrupted, after my Ne being all along wondering "excellent description of system X, but...what's the point/use for that?", which seems like they try to make the world fit their pet theory, resulting in fitting a square peg into a round hole syndrome. :doh:

I've only met male INTP's IRL, so I can't vouch for romantic settings, but the one's I've encountered online don't particularly strike that chord. :thinking:

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh man, INFP's rock the socks that rock the party...(well the little party i have going on in my head at least)
I have found that i adore many on typec...probably identify more with them that they me.
I think they are the type that stick out to me as most true (to all of earthdom) individuals.....

maskara

MBTI Type
FiNe
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You could argue that INFPs act emo on purpose. Or any type acts like themselves on purpose ;)

But I... that's not...
...okay, fair enough. :)

No NTJs around?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFPs are pretty awesome, I've had two very close friends who were INFP.

----

ha love this elaur :laugh:

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like ENFJs, they seem to bring me out of my shell. They feel welcoming to me, bubbly. I may not be as outgoing as they are, but I enjoy their company. :)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I find INFP's hard to know. They feel pretty sensitive. But when they get to their Ne state, it's like thinking with the same brain with them, it's so familiar and so easy to talk to them when this happen. Somekind of mutual understanding.