• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF Motivation/Overcoming Videogame Addiction?

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I need some advice...

There's this videogame I realize I've been playing an AWFUL lot. I didn't think it used to be a problem, until I realized I'd forgotten what the greater portion of my day had been spent doing (and that it was playing that game).

I will not mention what game it is, but that it's a game that allows my mind to wander while I engage in my task..but unfortunately without actually DOING anything.

I'm not sure if I'm mindlessly playing it because I don't feel like I have to energy/motivation to do anything else. But...yeah, I think I need some advice on trying to get over whatever it is I'm going through.

I've been having trouble with motivation recently. Is there...any NF advice one could give to me? (I'm INFJ, btw, but also INFP-ish as well)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but from time to time I get addicted to certain things - oekaki drawing, Gaia forums, gURL forums, this forum - and every time the only fix has been to completely abandon ship for a while (a month or two has been my usual timespan) and then come back gently... it disconnects me from the feeling of driving need to be in that world. If you forbid yourself from it, you will find other things to do. And they are likely to be more fulfilling, at least when you first disconnect.

A

Anew Leaf

I was addicted to WoW so I sympathize.

I had to cut it out cold turkey and just not do any of it for a few weeks and then it became months and now its been years.

It worked pretty well for me, so maybe something like that can help you.

S

Society

There's this videogame I realize I've been playing an AWFUL lot. I didn't think it used to be a problem, until I realized I'd forgotten what the greater portion of my day had been spent doing (and that it was playing that game).

I will not mention what game it is, but that it's a game that allows my mind to wander while I engage in my task..but unfortunately without actually DOING anything.

I'm not sure if I'm mindlessly playing it because I don't feel like I have to energy/motivation to do anything else. But...yeah, I think I need some advice on trying to get over whatever it is I'm going through.

I've been having trouble with motivation recently. Is there...any NF advice one could give to me? (I'm INFJ, btw, but also INFP-ish as well)

skyrim or minecraft?

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, skylight, I've actually tried that and it's worked <3 Thank you!

I was addicted to WoW so I sympathize.

I had to cut it out cold turkey and just not do any of it for a few weeks and then it became months and now its been years.

It worked pretty well for me, so maybe something like that can help you.

Yeah, that makes sense. If it helps get my mind detached from that deep, abstract connection I have with a game and put it forth into something more productive instead, yknow?

skyrim or minecraft?

*sssssBOOM!*

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know if you're doing this or not, but you have to ask yourself if you're using the game as an escape and if so then what are you escaping from? Then you have to recognize the fear that this brings up in you and learn to expose yourself to environments that bring this fear up so that you can learn viscerally that the environment may not be as scary as you first imagined. It's a process of desensitizing yourself in a healthy way to achieve something you want because many times depression and avoidance result from a fear that it is impossible to get something that you want subconsciously.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

hm, i used to have the same problem, until a lightning stroke my pc. (which no more qualifies the specs. not even that of minecraft.)

soo.. wait for a lightning storm, ehh? although.. now im addicted to psychology instead of gaming =S.. well its more helpful?

the only thing you really can do is switch to another more relevant addiction. liike... watching random people. mhh.. i would also recommend doing crazy things in the public, just for the reactions. the more people around, the better.

crimsonhaze

MBTI Type
INFP
This would be a little late, but oh well. I was in the same boat not too long ago. I was sooooo addicted to this game, played it for around 4 or 5 years. It was an mmorpg I think it was because there was so much interaction going on with different players and it gave this sort of free feeling, nobody cared who you were or what you do. I formed deep levels of friendship with people there coz basically it's what I like to do. I'm normally shy in real life, and in game or any online interactions, I find it easier to communicate. Forums, games, anything that involves interaction I like it.

So anyway, I got over it same way with how the others got over it. I realized I was doing too much. I would get extremely cranky and annoyed if I miss playing for a day. The only thing that really made me get out of it was when my mom told me I had to work outside. I had no choice but to follow, so eventually after a few days of work, I was still annoyed but I started seeing other things. I was enjoying myself outside of my room. I wasn't thinking about the game much until I finally stopped playing altogether.

I still miss it though, but not enough to want to play it again. There are better things to do, people to see and stuff :) but you have to stop it completely. Give it a week yeah. Do other stuff, it'll keep you busy and then you'll realize, youre not thinking bout playing anymore.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
angry bird?

Let's just pretend we know what s/he meant :D

You're going to have to just quit and realize there's better things to do. I have had addiction problems before and that's all there is to it. Video games are great and all but you need something in the real world to keep you occupied too; school, work, some projects etc.

S

Society

Let's just pretend we know what s/he meant :D

You're going to have to just quit and realize there's better things to do. I have had addiction problems before and that's all there is to it. Video games are great and all but you need something in the real world to keep you occupied too; school, work, some projects etc.

it's just like any other hobby - it can only gain sociological legitimization as the center of your life if you've figured how to earn a living within it. someone who does nothing but listen to rock bands from the period of emergent punk? lifeless addicted dork. someone who writes published articles about the relationship between the emergence of punk and the rock of the time while being invited as a featured DJ in punk nights through clubs around the world? now that's someone who has found his niche, a mind of passion! gaming is sort of the same, try to tell a competitive korean starcraft player that he's lifeless, he won't hear you over the sound of his groupies, and some of the more out-there designers are recognized within gaming communities for the amazing storytellers and artists that they've shown themselves to be.

figure out how to be productive because of your hobbies and not despite of them, and you've won the game of life.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes you're completely right. But when someone says addiction, it's normally a bad thing; it becomes a problem if it's an addiction. best thing normally would be to stop and resume whatever else for some time.