• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Soooo... what got YOU interested in personality types?

Biancaaa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Idk
Yeah... so I don't mean to sound snotty but YES, I am in the gifted program. We took it for a project. Actually, I was the only ENFP. Anyway, yeah, your turn. :p

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had a problem getting along with a guy who worked for me. I bought a book about the stuff so I could try to understand him. Though I wasn't sure of his type (probably ENFJ), it did give me a much better appreciation for the differences between people.

mooseantlers

Knobgoblin
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
I saw a thread entitled what is your type or something on a forum that I regular, and I took the test and became interested, I've gotten both my parents and a friend to do it now. My dad is ENFJ and my mom is INFJ.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I took the MBTI as a way to help narrow down college majors. Ended up testing as INTP. (Which I obviously doubt at this point.) But yeah, that is what started it all for me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In high school I wanted every book from the New Age/Self-Help/Psychology section. I picked up something or other to do with MBTI in my phase where I was also trying to learn to meditate and teach myself yoga. I think I was a senior in high school.

I didn't return to personality theory seriously until I was almost 30 years old, and that's because I wanted to decide once and for all what my type really was (everyone has had the "hey wait I get different results" experience, for the most part.)

Boy, did I have a lot to learn.

maskara

MBTI Type
FiNe
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Found it a couple of years ago, during a chaotic time in my life. Originally tested as INTP, realized things didn't quite add up, decided that INFP fits me a lot more. I really got into the whole thing because it gave me a lot of insight about people a.k.a. vile creatures from hell itself (of course I'm kidding. sort of). So there, don't mean to sound stupid or anything, but something tells me near every INFP would have an automatic interest in things like typology.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Trying to understand a certain INFP :laugh: :wubbie:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah... so I don't mean to sound snotty but YES, I am in the gifted program. We took it for a project. Actually, I was the only ENFP. Anyway, yeah, your turn. :p
I'm curious, which mbti types were more represented?

To answer the question, it was kinda random...I first heard about mbti maybe 5 years ago, but at the time I thought :
a) humans are too adaptive to be fixed within personality categories
b) that would be a way of limiting myself

Then, one day I was bored and randomly decided to take the test. Surprisingly, it made a lot of sense. My initial concerns are still valid, but the additional knowledge proved to be very enlightening.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Had a teacher do it with us in class when I was in 8th grade, then did it again in high school - INFP both times. In my later teenage years I was fighting with my dad a lot, and looking up communication improvement resources, and stumbled across typology again. Figured out I was an ENFP instead of an INFP, and that dad was an INTP, and that perspective has helped me understand him a lot better. So, recently, has been the realization that he is an enneagram 6w5 and I am a 6w7. Things can get quite fiery between us, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Now I am working on improving communication with my ESFJ, maybe-1w9 boyfriend! We're both stubborn. :blush:

Lark

In a pop psychology sense I've always been interested in quizes or information gathering and responses to quizes, from when I was much younger, I remember thinking of it along the lines of spies or x-files but I realised later that its just dull data mining like bureaucrats gather for no real reason.

Although reading A LOT of different psychologists I've found that most theorists have some sort of conscious or unconscious typology or characterology in their works and that interested me in Jung first and MBTI second, I was familiar with enneagram from before that, I've always been interested in reflection and soul searching as a part of personal growth and development so typology fits within that.

S

Society

i dont remember how i heard of it, but the first time was years ago - i got into it on a theoretical level, i didn't even try to test myself, j just read the theory and decided that it needs fixing, it inspired me into my own version but i had some pieces missing... a woman came along and helped me find the missing pieces, which was the first time my exwife impressed me intellectually, and then i forgot about it for the next couple of years.

then one day i came home and she was sitting in front of the computer and showed me the test results she got - INFJ. i took it and i was an ENTP. we where still madly inlove, the results didn't tell us anything we didn't know about each other, and it was more like a nice reaffirming slap on the back "yay the internetz is telling us we're made for each other"...
*retroactive caugh* bullshit *retroative caugh*
we didn't look further into it.

then a couple of months after we broke up, when i started missing her, i remembered the MBTI theory as sort of a milestone for us from our early days, i wanted to talk to other INFJs like herself to help me understand wtf went wrong... and it helped.

and now i'm already here so... why not?

Biancaaa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Idk
I'm curious, which mbti types were more represented?

To answer the question, it was kinda random...I first heard about mbti maybe 5 years ago, but at the time I thought :
a) humans are too adaptive to be fixed within personality categories
b) that would be a way of limiting myself

Then, one day I was bored and randomly decided to take the test. Surprisingly, it made a lot of sense. My initial concerns are still valid, but the additional knowledge proved to be very enlightening.

Cool! And... Uhh... We did this in our study hall groups to divide the 24 kids in the program... And there's 6 days in a cycle so each group would have four people, and we didn't actually tally it as a total yet, but there was people that got ISTJ and ISFP and ENFJ. And another girl asked me about it and she told me she got INFJ. I dont even know much about this subject yet so I can't guess very accurately... But representation wise, that's all I know x)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I first got exposed to it in my high school psychology class. We all took a typing test and then read our type profile. I got INTJ at the time and thought it fit me well. Several years later, I would realize that INTP was an even better fit. I was always interested in what made others tick and I wanted to better understand people very different from myself and MBTI did both those things.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I originally got interested in it because I had a sense that I was in the wrong career. I started visiting typology forums in later years after meeting an amazingly talented ISTP illustrator because I wanted to study his type for clues that might reveal why I had a crush on him.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
always felt I was different from everyone. Just googled about myself and personality type came up.

what piss me off is that I talked to a professional about my common personality problem. You know feeling disconnected, introvert, etc.. and it would have been tremendous help if she would have told me about it. She was a fuckign idiot though, she couldn't even understand how my brain worked. talking to professional = waste of time.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I may have taken the test when in my teens, but I wasn't impressed by personality typing at the time.

When I was 26 (about 6 years ago) my manager had us take one of the online tests. I was shocked by the INFJ description when I read it - it seemed so accurate and explained a lot of things about myself I really didn't "get", especially things that I found disturbing about myself (slow recovery time from emotional hurt, etc). But I didn't look into the whole theory much more than that, for several years.

About three years ago (not that long before I joined this forum) I started looking more into the theory as a whole due to interpersonal problems. I wanted to understand why I interacted with other types a certain way, what they might be thinking...etc. And here I am. ;) I started off with Keirsey and it gave me a good basic idea but it seemed a bit too simplistic and a bit too American (seriously, all the examples were sooooo American.) I've looked more into function theory since then and it has helped a lot but I still have a lot to learn there.