• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Ne / Visual pattern recognition?

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wanted to ask you something: is Ne directly responsible for visual pattern recognition? Lately I've noticed it's something I do in a heartbeat, while other people have difficulty and take longer time than me. I would like to identify what it is, because maybe there is some profession or job more adequate for me (in comparison to the one I have right now, that is really pushing on my Te).

So, first there was this art exhibition and I was looking for ticket price and times on the internet, with an ESTP colleague. So then this picture can up and I said: "oh, so cool, it's China!" .....and she was super amazed and would not leave it alone, we went for coffee later and she was still talking about it. She was convinced that I had either cheated or that I was super intelligent, but I was looking at her amazed going "come on, its so obvious it's jumping out of my eyes...it's China!"
un_forbidden_city_the_post_revolution_of_new_chinese_art_large.jpg

Then on Facebook a friend of mine (INFJ) posted this picture:
542466_3292205858534_1069408422_33084674_1356330798_n.jpg

I saw it right away....actually first I noticed the Simpsons, but I thought it couldn't be, and then I saw the prisioner stripes of the Dalton brothers on the bottom, my eyes came back on top to identify the Simpsons and the Ninja turtles on the side. All of this immediately. And normally, for me. But the point is, all my friends that replied to that picture said it was super difficult and that it took them a long time.

So....what is this quality? I don't mean to be arrogant and brag about it, I just want to know where I can use it. Professionally.

Also, was this obvious to you too (other ENFPs)? And do you have other examples, so I(we) can test myself(ourselves)?

Thanks!!

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure how hard this picture was supposed to be. It wasn't hard for me. I did score the best on the pattern-recognition section on the IQ test, though, if that says anything. I've always wondered the same thing.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Pretty obvious to me too (before reading anything that you wrote too) but I don't know if this purely a Ne skill. I'd like to think it was, because Ne's got to be good for something beyond crazy leaps of imagination (ie. silliness). ;)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OP: I dunno, but I typically "live in Ne" and consider pattern-recognition to be a strong skill, and both of those pics were obvious to me too. I saw the latter on Facebook last night, got the Simpsons almost immediately, and the only ones I didn't get were ones before my childhood. (I recognized Asterix but I didn't know his name at the time, I just remember seeing pictures of the cartoon characters. And the last image, I didn't recognize at all. All the others, I got almost immediately.)

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's Lucky Luke and the Daltons. I saw it on a bus once in Taiwan.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ok, so far so good, there seems to be a connection to Ne. now i just need non Ne users to start posting so we can understand if its exclusive to Ne or not....

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah, I'm notoriously bad at visual pattern reconition. I invariably see things, but I only rarely see things that the presenters wanted me to see. I'm also very bad at lip reading. I think it's all tied into me not being able to pick out the 'correct' context.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm bad with pictures (Se-tard). But I think I would do good with words.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i-see-dead-people.jpg

Nah, I'm notoriously bad at visual pattern reconition. I invariably see things, but I only rarely see things that the presenters wanted me to see. I'm also very bad at lip reading. I think it's all tied into me not being able to pick out the 'correct' context.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got a lot of the little Lego block characters, but not all. Of course it was also dependent on how familiar I was with those characters in the first place. If I knew the characters reasonably well I probably got them almost right away. Recognising country shapes is probably something I'm good at depending on how interested I am in those countries. My geography/country shape recognition is far better in Europe than in South America, for instance.

I'm the kind of person who has a hard time remembering faces and names, but patterns, logos, symbols, words etc jump right out at me. Put it this way: if I walked past Bono in the street, there's a good chance I wouldn't recognise him (though I know quite well what he looks like), but I'd notice right away if he was wearing a U2 t-shirt...it's weird.

Sometimes I've noticed visual things I'm surprised no one else does. I noticed once that a photo in a book I'd taken out from the library matched a drawing in a book that many of my family and friends were familiar with (ie. the drawing had been directly based on the photo), and no one else saw it when I showed them the photo, until I laid them side by side and spelled it out to them.

I'm definitely Ni rather than Ne, though. I don't know if these are simply N tendencies or not really type-related. I think you could put forth a convincing argument that it's related to Se or Si, as well.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I still don't see what's up with the legos, but I am good at telling people that things aren't simple like this and that there is so much more to consider :tongue:

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I looked at the Simsons one for a few seconds, but couldn't figure it out. I immediately looked at the group underneath, specifically the "Cartman lego" and thought "hmmm, this block looks like Cartman... hey, it's the kids from South Park!" I figured out the rest extremely quickly.

Don't take my answer as a rule for all ENTJs, though, since function tests give me a very strong Ne result, and I've considered that I may be an ENTP with OCPD.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When will the answers to the lego puzzles be posted?

I think I got them all except for the bottom right one and the 2nd to bottom one in the left column. Actually I have a guess but not sure it's right and don't want to post it in case others are working on this.

I love these sorts of puzzles but they are hit or miss for me. I either get the solution immediately or I never get the solution at all.

Saga

MBTI Type
INFJ
It's The Simpsons, Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles, South Park, The Smurfs, Asterix & Obelisk (note the cute Dogmatix in between), Ernie & Bert, Donald Duck with nephews, Dalton brothers & Lucky Luke.

Super easy for me, didn't have to think before picking them out, and I've always been good with recognising patterns, finding misplaced or lost items (actually I can search my memory images and remember exactly where things are), noticing spelling mistakes based on wordshapes etc. My ISTP boyfriend completely sucks at all of that.

I showed my boyfriend the legos and it took him a minute before he got the Simpsons, and then he could pick out all but the turtles fairly quickly. But the turtles he couldn't even recognise after I'd told him.

(I should probably add I usually score >130 in iq tests, but I don't know if that or the N is the key to this ability.)

Kitsune413

MBTI Type
enfp
I got them all but the dalton brothers and lucky luke and asterix and obelisk. Though, without exposure to either of them that would have been impossible.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
but I was looking at her amazed going "come on, its so obvious it's jumping out of my eyes...it's China!"

/QUOTE]
I thought it looked like a chicken. :D

But yeah..I got the block guys easily too. I score in the top 2% in pattern recognition IQ tests too so it's not a big suprise. I think Ne doms would be good these types of tasks because you're creative thinkers. :)

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oooh this is so good for my ego ahah "Out of all mental abilities this type of intelligence is said to have the highest correlation with the general intelligence factor, g. "
(i googled what you said, pattern recognition iq test, and it got me to that, from this site:http://www.intelligencetest.com/questions/precognition.htm)

but I was looking at her amazed going "come on, its so obvious it's jumping out of my eyes...it's China!"

/QUOTE]
I thought it looked like a chicken. :D

But yeah..I got the block guys easily too. I score in the top 2% in pattern recognition IQ tests too so it's not a big suprise. I think Ne doms would be good these types of tasks because you're creative thinkers. :)

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Glad if I can be of assistance. :smile:

G

garbage

As soon as I figured out that the blocks were supposed to be characters--that realization sort of happened as an "a ha" moment a few seconds after staring at it--the rest fell into place pretty readily. I mulled over some possibilities first: were they trending, colored bar graphs of some sort? Shit, I didn't know.

But pattern recognition also hinges upon being able to draw on pretty complete data banks. For example, I have very little idea who Asterisk and Obelix are, so I can't have expected to guess that one. And I suck at rounds of Hangman with words that I've never come across and where linguistic rules don't easily apply.

We also have to be wary of reading patterns in a way that's biased toward our data banks. Rorschach, anyone?