• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs and Obsessions with Fictional Characters

RoadPaveMent

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Get a tumblr, follow some fandom blogs, and I think you'll find you're not as weird as you think.

Ex: There was a fake trailer for a swimming anime and people were crafting the boys' personalities and writing smutty fanfictions and writing to the company that made the trailer to make a full-blown anime series with the characters.

You don't have carnal desires for fictional characters? Aww, you're missing out. :D

lionslexicon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm in the same boat as you on this one. My role models included Rose Lalonde from Homestuck, Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games, and River Tam from Firefly. The more character development and speaking time they're given in the story, the more there is for me to analyze. And so the obsession grows. The most dramatic instance of this was Rose Lalonde, just due to the sheer amount of dialogue she's given and how many fantheories and character analyses there are of her outside of the comic itself. Honestly I've spent way too much time going back through her pesterlogs and marvelling at her elaborate language and the confidence she displays in herself, somehow trying to model myself after that and figure out a way to take on the qualities she has that I want to see in myself. Of course, her flaws are just as interesting.

But one consistency is that all of the characters I grow infatuated with are "doers"--they rely on their own instincts more than what anyone else tells them, and they act on their ideas. Which is extremely difficult for me to do.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Whenever I get into a movie, book, or TV show, I tend to develop a connection with a character or several characters. Usually it's the character obsession that gets me hooked on the fandom. Maybe I relate to them in some way or another or just a general connection. I usually relate to timid, nervous characters or extremely flawed anti-heroes/villains with a motivation I can relate to. If only characters could be real. xD

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have had many, many fictional obsessions. Right now, it's Himura Kenshin. My avatar is the live action version of him.

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too many to count.

One of the things that draws me in to a story beyond just interest to bordering on obsession is the connection to the characters. Or usually one specific character I relate to or recognize certain characteristics I'm drawn to.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have had many, many fictional obsessions. Right now, it's Himura Kenshin. My avatar is the live action version of him.

Me, too! Me, too!
I had an avatar of him in so many other forums that I stopped myself from doing so here.
But, yes, usually when I read about characters that I really like, I develop obsessions with them, too. I write stories about them, I write them happy endings, etc, etc.
By the way, Neko 4, have you seen "Trust and Betrayal" and "Reflection" (the Ruroni Kenshin OVAs)? "Reflection" was a tear jerker:)

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Me, too! Me, too!
I had an avatar of him in so many other forums that I stopped myself from doing so here.
But, yes, usually when I read about characters that I really like, I develop obsessions with them, too. I write stories about them, I write them happy endings, etc, etc.
By the way, Neko 4, have you seen "Trust and Betrayal" and "Reflection" (the Ruroni Kenshin OVAs)? "Reflection" was a tear jerker:)

I saw Trust & Betrayal but not Reflection. I read the manga first. I like the live action movies; you should watch them.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I saw Trust & Betrayal but not Reflection. I read the manga first. I like the live action movies; you should watch them.

Lol, I own all the live action films! The lighting in those movies is exceptionally beautiful, and the fight scenes are very well choreographed.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Lol, I own all the live action films! The lighting in those movies is exceptionally beautiful, and the fight scenes are very well choreographed.

There is a rumor that there will be two more live action movies! One is the Remembrance arc, the other is the Jinchuu arc.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
The rumor has been confirmed. In 2020, we will get "Mystery of the Cross Shaped Scar" and "The Most Formidable Enemy: Enishi" (sorry if my translations don't turn out 100% accurate)