• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] do you LOVE body language?

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
im as pure N as one could get, but i find body language endlessly fascinating way of communication(esp in giving depth), a boost in charm and personality by developing it constantly forward and never forgetting how huge amount of positive influence it truly provides to those who understand it.

in my culture, body language is generally deprived, not surprising of such a dark population as finnish are.
but i wont hold myself from waving my hands, body, face, around however feels best!
and i can see the huge positive impact it has on the moods of others.

also not to mention the key it has to seeing deep into others very easily.

your turn! :hi:

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't say I love it as much as I find it realky funny. Intresting how someone can be saying/thinking something so consciously but their body language is not in accord.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's fascinating! almost as fascinating as you thinking it's fascinating. :laugh:

R

Riva

im as pure N as one could get, but i find body language endlessly fascinating way of communication

Referring to the word 'but' in your sentence, being N has nothing to do with being unresponsive to body language.

INTJs are given the stereotypical description of being blind to body language. From what I have noticed this is incorrect. They are quite good at identifying and interpreting body language. They might not be very reactive to them.

ExTJs suck at being responsive and interpreting them though. That should be noted. Especially ENTJs. And IxTPs also might suffer from the lack of being responsive to them. INTPs the most.

Anyway I love it. Love getting better and better at it. The older I get the better I seem to get at it.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think entjs respond more to male body language than female like conflict/dominance stuff

R

Riva

I think entjs respond more to male body language than female like conflict/dominance stuff

Ah, that could be their Se.

This would also explain why xSTPs aren't very good at understanding certain body language displays than some other displays.

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I enjoy acting so I pay close attention to all body language. I have to rehearse all my shows exactly as the character so body language is an important, and often the most difficult, part of it.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I find body language fascinating and enjoy watching people converse. I pick up the minute bodily movements easily when talking to others so i can visually see when someone is deceiving me or themselves. Although i struggle when emotionally involved with someone.

I liked watching the programme Lie To me as i was learning new skills all the time. That would be an awesome role to get into.

Ouch i only got 13 out of 20 on the test .. Note to self, watch the eyes crease.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
im as pure N as one could get, but i find body language endlessly fascinating way of communication(esp in giving depth), a boost in charm and personality by developing it constantly forward and never forgetting how huge amount of positive influence it truly provides to those who understand it.

in my culture, body language is generally deprived, not surprising of such a dark population as finnish are.
but i wont hold myself from waving my hands, body, face, around however feels best!
and i can see the huge positive impact it has on the moods of others.

also not to mention the key it has to seeing deep into others very easily.

your turn! :hi:

I'm as animated as you can get! :laugh:

In person, I use my hands, facial expressions, change the tone/pitch/volume of my voice, body posture, point at things, throw things, whatever is needed to communicate a point.

This is my default in many ways, but also a benefit to me in my profession. Alot of times I have to facilitate meetings where a big room of people have been ordered to show up and solve some ridiculous problem in a short amount of time. So, the best thing for me to do is get them all in a good mood, elicit the information needed to do the work in the course of entertaining them, and then send them on their merry way as I draft up what is needed to complete the work. Such work is among my favorite things to do for a living.

When it comes to being an appreciator of body language as used by others, I guess I am if I appreciate something about the person wielding it. If someone is annoying to me or dislikable to me for whatever reason then I am not easily going to be endeared to something as specific as their body language. But, when it comes to casual observance of the interactions of total strangers with each other, this is really entertaining stuff to watch.

So, yeah, I'm a fan I guess. :newwink:

:solidarity:

-Alex

G

garbage

In person, I use my hands, facial expressions, change the tone/pitch/volume of my voice, body posture, point at things, throw things, whatever is needed to communicate a point.
Same here. In some contexts, I'm relatively subdued. When I lecture or when I'm in a social setting, it's all about facial expressions, pitch, enunciation.. anything and everything to get the point across as an overall impression rather than as a mere string of words.

So much is lost with words alone. They are often an imperfect translation of our thoughts, and they must be supplemented with other things to get our entire point across.

It's one thing to convey something intellectually--quite another to actually get others to internalize it.

Most of being successful at reading body language is simply paying attention to it.

I enjoy acting so I pay close attention to all body language. I have to rehearse all my shows exactly as the character so body language is an important, and often the most difficult, part of it.

I can totally see this. If your body language isn't right, you might not "convince" your audience--and they might not even know why they're not convinced. Acting is a great way to practice impactful body language.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't love body language. For me, it's just another thing that my brain has to process. It's a type of information that I'm rather hit or miss about interpreting it right.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I suppose. it's hard to talk to someone without moving my hands, moving my arms, face, shoulders, hair, whipping my hair.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
whipping your hair? oh...shit that's funny

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
whipping your hair? oh...shit that's funny

Dude, I started whipping hair. Willow Smith made a mockery of it & she's making millions. & I've never whipped paint off of my hair at little kids.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Referring to the word 'but' in your sentence, being N has nothing to do with being unresponsive to body language.

INTJs are given the stereotypical description of being blind to body language. From what I have noticed this is incorrect. They are quite good at identifying and interpreting body language. They might not be very reactive to them.

ExTJs suck at being responsive and interpreting them though. That should be noted. Especially ENTJs. And IxTPs also might suffer from the lack of being responsive to them. INTPs the most.

Anyway I love it. Love getting better and better at it. The older I get the better I seem to get at it.

unresponsive? i dont believe i ever implicated anything which could give out such an idea. although i have noticed, N's are generally lousier in body language, or body language shy.

while S types never seem to give quite the depth an N who loves body language can, but then, this is N talking and thus N perspective and = biased as both look for different things from the same object.

such are the reasons, in maturing we find. (to your post)

to the fake smile thing:
i have an easier method, simply read their reaction. its easy to see what caused a reaction when youve learned to predict others.
the spotting some specific thing out of ordinary is T kind of observing just some very specific thing instead of depth or accordance.

Most of being successful at reading body language is simply paying attention to it.

with my love to it, ive analyzed it in depth to the point i know exactly when to look at others to know what i want to know and at other times, just absentmindedly eyes picking it while i concentrate on talking.
the more i concentrate on talking, the more blind i become. its funny how i sometimes when in a very successful conversation, realize im so in the feelings and conversation, that im really unconscious as to whats happening in front of my eyes.
(if i recall these memories, when i actually in the conversation realized im blind, and tried to see, that moment i remember as seeing through a tunnel vision, very blurred!)

well, i suppose its N's advantage when learning the s ways. you can simply analyze how it works, and then you know. (without having to concentrate on it thus distracting your brain processing power from what you could use to talking.)

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thank you for that link. I learned quite a lot in from the advice which was given after the test was completed. :)

I got 17 out of 20.
I'm not an expert by any means, but I do know some about body language. I wasn't expecting to get a perfect score, I just knew from previous experience what to look for and figured I'd do pretty well.

Te-doms may not be naturals at this sort of stuff, but sometimes we can learn. :D

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I found most ExxPs are really good at non-verbal communications, particularly applying the right kind of gesture (and mostly inventive and suits their aura).

I wonder if other INFJ really focus on applying body language as I find myself difficult to concentrate on utilizing both verbal and non-verbal expression.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I found most ExxPs are really good at non-verbal communications, particularly applying the right kind of gesture (and mostly inventive and suits their aura).

I wonder if other INFJ really focus on applying body language as I find myself difficult to concentrate on utilizing both verbal and non-verbal expression.

i believe the key is to enjoy doing it. that way, it will be tagged to your behavior through unconscious desire and the more unconscious it becomes, the less processing power it takes.
EDIT:
same goes for speaking. focus on correcting mistakes permanently from your head instead of choosing "right" words.