• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Can you ever let your guard down?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Why would I admit to letting my guard down or not? That seems pretty counterproductive. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, all dependent on the situation.

That said, it's somewhat depressing to see the replies on the first page full of people that don't post here anymore.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wow! Awesome story! That would have stuck with me as well.

2 that I remember are from when I was about 8. I don't recall the first entirely, but it was about a brat who was hiking with a group. "Me first, me first!" is what she said whenever they were about to eat or drink anything or do something fun. Then they ran into a primitive tribe. "Me first, me first!" And so she was the first to go into the cooking pot and the first who was eaten lol

The other was just a Sunday school story about a mother hen who took all her chicks under her wings while a nasty storm raged around them. The mother hen died protecting her children. (Much like Christ and God and ..... )

Like you, I doubt the stories shaped me in any sort of significant way. I often think about them, though.

Mole

Permabanned
When my social environment is favourable to me, I am exuberant. And when my social environment is unfavourable to me, I become as invisible as possible.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow! Awesome story! That would have stuck with me as well.

2 that I remember are from when I was about 8. I don't recall the first entirely, but it was about a brat who was hiking with a group. "Me first, me first!" is what she said whenever they were about to eat or drink anything or do something fun. Then they ran into a primitive tribe. "Me first, me first!" And so she was the first to go into the cooking pot and the first who was eaten lol

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Enough that I post on this site. More than enough when Im drunk or otherwise impaired. Generally... it depends. But I would say Im definitely more closed off than most, but less closed off than I generally appear to be. I am less cynical and let my guard down more than people might nudge- I just dont announce it.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh wow! I remembered this!!! But also an alternate version, so I just googled it.
I initially recall cannibals, not tigers. So I wonder which I was exposed to first- the video or Pamela Purse (Shel Silverstein Light in the Attic).

Amazing find [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] !

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh wow! I remembered this!!! But also an alternate version, so I just googled it.
I initially recall cannibals, not tigers. So I wonder which I was exposed to first- the video or Pamela Purse (Shel Silverstein Light in the Attic).

Amazing find [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] !
When I was in middle school, a classmate recited this in our annual speech contest.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This. I am 'reserved" ( I do not outwardly express my feelings or emotions) but ASK how I am feeling/what I am thinking and I will tell you. I will tell you everything.

This leads to frequent misunderstandings: I have a reputation for being sarcastic when I am rarely am.
For ex, being asked "Aren't you excited?!" and I will tell you, stone-faced, and in a perfectly flat tone "Yes, I am excited." and for strange reason people think I am just telling them what they want to hear. I assure you that on the inside I am practically losing my shit with excitement.

In truth my guard is almost never "up". If I may wax super-nerdy for a moment, not all tanks wear armor. Some get bonuses for wearing practically nothing. Instead of reducing damage, they know that they can take it-in the face-and shrug it off.

I prefer this way. I can be ready for anything. Imagine just assuming your armor is strong enough to take anything and one day, it fails you. You've been hit in the face by a cannonball and you have no idea how to deal with it. I'd rather not be caught in such a situation.
That's just a different kind of armor, and can also fail. Ultimately it all comes from within ourselves, and is only as strong as we are. I cannot stand expectations that I have this or that emotion. Asking "aren't you excited?" will usually elicit the comment, "Why should I be? Because you would be in a similar situation?" The conversation is usually over at that point. If you ask what I am feeling, it probably isn't any of your business. Unless you are my husband or a very good friend, you will not be told. If you want my opinion on something, that is another matter, and depending on the subject, I will offer it.