• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] This ENFP...

Spring

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
There is this male ENFP I know who I met over the summer, and I have found him really cute since I met him. He currently is attending a school that I am going to transfer to next year (just so you know, no, I am not a stalker and am not transferring to be with him. We met at a function that is associated with this school, after I already had been considering it.) I sometimes wonder if he doesn't also possibly like me, but I really don't need any false hope so I want some other opinions on this.

It may help to note that he is normally a very charismatic and emotionally open ENFP, and I have an unfortunate tendency to become very closed off and present the worst parts of myself to the people who I most admire.

About a month after the first week I got to know him, he initiated I conversation with me via the internet because he wanted to get to know me better, but eventually when I turned the attention from myself to him, he dropped it and never answered. Some months later when I was visiting the school he attends, he spotted me and seemed very excited to see me. Because I had sort of been dreading the idea of running into him, I just said hi and went on my way, but 5 minutes later he found me and started a very long and awkward conversation in which I was extremely withdrawn due to feeling shy and he was feeling obviously insecure and nervous. He eventually apologized for never responding in our previous conversation over the internet and used the excuse that he thinks he is better at communicating with people in real life. There was a lot of awkward silence and him self-consciously commenting on the awkward aspects of the conversation that he was contributing (not being able to finish sentences, starting on tangents about random subjects that seem to come out of nowhere, etc.) At the end of this conversation he told me very energetically that he would find me before I leave and take me on an adventure or something, which never happened. A week later I sent him a message on Facebook apologizing for being so standoffish. He adamantly denied that he thought I was being standoffish and said that he loved the conversation, and then said he would talk to me soon. I don't know if he was referring to my plan to transfer the next semester or if he actually intended to call/message me etc. In any case, that was about 4 months ago. 2 weeks ago he texted me asking if I was at his school yet. Because he had my number but I didn't have his, I was unsure who it was at first, but then quickly guessed, and told him I had to change my mind about transferring so soon and would transfer in the Fall. He never responded.

I know that sometimes ENFPs get really awkward and weird around their crushes, so I am flattering myself by thinking that might be what this is. He told me in the earlier parts of our friendship(?) that he thought I was "fascinating," "pretty," and that he liked it when I smiled. I basically deflected most of these early compliments, because he is naturally affectionate towards people and I was trying not to take it personally. After a while the "pretty lady" turned into "dear friend" and during our long awkward conversation at his school he randomly added, as he was explaining why he is so friendly to all people (because I had wanted to know if he behaved this way with everyone, and it is hard for me to comprehend how he doesn't get tired) that he was trying to get to know me not because he wanted to woo me and marry me, but because he believes he has something to learn from all people. I didn't think I seemed like I thought that he wanted to woo me and marry me, but okay. This combined with the issue of him making extravagant promises to me every time we meet about taking me on adventures and getting to know me (and then never following through,) make me think that there is little hope, and that I am just another number in his infinite list of people who he theoretically likes.

He frustrates me a lot but I still think his personality is extremely cute and I can't deny that I am interested in him, although I have tried not to give him any clue of this. What do you guys think about my chances?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
First, welcome. :hiya:

Second, you're both young and in college. Totally different dating rules to "the real world".

If you like him, go for it. If you think he's too flighty for you play it cool. Either way, it'll be a learning experience.

Some young ENFPs are frankly clueless hot messes when it comes to dating and flirting but some are not.

It seems like you're waiting for a confirmation from him that he likes you but I don't think you'll get it unless you 1) are really good at "playing the game" or 2) more directly make it so. I think for your own sake, you should hang out with him and seek confirmation if he doesn't make a move. If he seems like the flighty playboy type hang out with him 3 times and act receptive to him and be open and comfortable with yourself. If he doesn't make a move by then, forget it. He either doesn't like you or he does but he's clueless,

Spring

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
He may be flighty but he's not the "playboy type" or at least he would be devastated if you called him that. He has a lot of strong opinions about how men should treat women, and he tries very hard to be an example of how he thinks men should behave. (Imagine all of this with a heavy dose of childlike enthusiasm, and that's him) He has never dated before, although he has had crushes that he never acted on. We are both waiting for soulmates, although he's doing so with a lot more confidence than I am. So he's not really your typical guy; I probably should've mentioned that before. I just want to know from other ENFPs and people who have a lot of experience with ENFPs if it sounds like there could be something there or if I am just deluding myself. It's driving me crazy.

kyli_ryan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2wX
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know that sometimes ENFPs get really awkward and weird around their crushes, so I am flattering myself by thinking that might be what this is. He told me in the earlier parts of our friendship(?) that he thought I was "fascinating," "pretty," and that he liked it when I smiled. I basically deflected most of these early compliments, because he is naturally affectionate towards people and I was trying not to take it personally. After a while the "pretty lady" turned into "dear friend" and during our long awkward conversation at his school he randomly added, as he was explaining why he is so friendly to all people (because I had wanted to know if he behaved this way with everyone, and it is hard for me to comprehend how he doesn't get tired) that he was trying to get to know me not because he wanted to woo me and marry me, but because he believes he has something to learn from all people. I didn't think I seemed like I thought that he wanted to woo me and marry me, but okay. This combined with the issue of him making extravagant promises to me every time we meet about taking me on adventures and getting to know me (and then never following through,) make me think that there is little hope, and that I am just another number in his infinite list of people who he theoretically likes.

He frustrates me a lot but I still think his personality is extremely cute and I can't deny that I am interested in him, although I have tried not to give him any clue of this. What do you guys think about my chances?

First off, I don't think you're delusional by thinking he may have an interest in you. If you like him, you should text him again and try to set some time up to hang out. I think it's a little strange that he was so forthright with the whole "marry and woo" part of that conversation, but maybe you appeared scared by his awkward chattiness and he was trying to help relieve that? lol.

Anyway, I totally get what you're saying with the ENFP and compliments (I deflect them too). I am currently with an ENFP, who was very weird about compliments and certain things he would say, even before we were dating (or had any inclination toward that kind of thing). I always thought it was because he is foreign.. but it could be the personality thing...? I think you should maybe try to talk to him a little bit and let him ask about you... I know my ENFP is still weird about my focusing the attention on him in a conversation. This could be a good way to get pieces of his personality from the way he responds to what you say... this could also be hard for you though, if you're not very chatty or don't know what to say...

I would say, just try to get together... or get him to answer you back. I feel like my ENFP doesn't really see things as possible whenever he is not encouraged. You saying you aren't transferring until the Fall may have made him think that you couldn't be interested because you weren't at the same campus. Maybe see what he says with a little encouragement?

Starry

I have some experience with ENFPs...being one...with an ENFP brother and best friend. And the truth of the matter is...is that it ISN'T unusual for ENFPs to get excited about new people...to want to take people under-our-wings in atmospheres that we feel comfortable in. Nor is it unusual for us to unintentionally send out mixed-messages by using language that most people would reserve for their intimates...like 'you are pretty'...or 'handsome'...or 'attractive' etc.

This is not to say, however, that he is NOT interested in you as it appears he is...at least on some level. What is confusing me is your response to it. You are behaving in a standoffish manner? You even state in your post that you 'dreaded running into him' (???) And that you are trying to hide your own interest in him? I will also tell you that it is not unusual for us to become nervous and awkward around individuals that we do care about...but that are acting nervous and awkward around us. It is confusing for us and we don't quite know if we should back-off or what...

I've dated some introverted, nervous and awkward people in my day. But the thing they did do for me was make it very clear that they loved and cared for me. Or at the point you are at...that they were interested in me. They did not try to hide this fact. I fear if you don't show him some form of interest...or something that you do care or have some fond feelings for him...HE WILL hop the next ENFP magic carpet out.

Spring

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Unfortunately I have to admit that some of the times he has tried to ask me about myself I have deflected that too, because the questions he likes to ask can be very personal... The stuff he does know about me I kind of regret because I was way too honest in those moments, and I presented weak aspects of myself. When I have turned the attention to him, it is partly because I am afraid of him knowing so much about me.

Yeah, I have to admit I am increasingly standoffish towards him. I knew from the moment I met him that I would need to be very careful not to get too into him. So much for that. I was pretty friendly to him at first, but the more he flaked out on me the more closed off I became, partly to protect myself from disappointment (because it seems like a clear indicator that he actually couldn't care less) and partly just because flakiness/seeming insincerity are really big pet peeves of mine. I dreaded running into him because at that point I was assuming he definitely didn't feel the same and I was trying to get over him. So much for that too. :/ So I can understand why he might feel rejected by me, and he's also told me that he feels like I'm "a lot cooler" than him so he may feel a little intimidated too. Although, compared to his repeated instances of saying one thing and doing another, I'd say we're about even...

I know that I should be nicer to him and I want to be, but his flakiness makes me think that he doesn't actually care and I don't want to presuppose that he does and act like he does and be wrong, because it will hurt.

kyli_ryan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2wX
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Unfortunately I have to admit that some of the times he has tried to ask me about myself I have deflected that too, because the questions he likes to ask can be very personal... The stuff he does know about me I kind of regret because I was way too honest in those moments, and I presented weak aspects of myself. When I have turned the attention to him, it is partly because I am afraid of him knowing so much about me.

Yeah, I have to admit I am increasingly standoffish towards him. I knew from the moment I met him that I would need to be very careful not to get too into him. So much for that. I was pretty friendly to him at first, but the more he flaked out on me the more closed off I became, partly to protect myself from disappointment (because it seems like a clear indicator that he actually couldn't care less) and partly just because flakiness/seeming insincerity are really big pet peeves of mine. I dreaded running into him because at that point I was assuming he definitely didn't feel the same and I was trying to get over him. So much for that too. :/ So I can understand why he might feel rejected by me, and he's also told me that he feels like I'm "a lot cooler" than him so he may feel a little intimidated too. Although, compared to his repeated instances of saying one thing and doing another, I'd say we're about even...

I know that I should be nicer to him and I want to be, but his flakiness makes me think that he doesn't actually care and I don't want to presuppose that he does and act like he does and be wrong, because it will hurt.

A couple of things--- I think the "flakiness" may not be what it seems. I know that my ENFP is that way as well. Sometimes when I need answers, I have to ask him VERY specific questions to make sure that things are clear. He probably wouldn't take a serious talk negatively, but I don't know if you'd be interested in having to do that. From my experience (and [MENTION=6163]Rainbows[/MENTION] said this as well), I didn't feel a very CLEAR indication about his intentions until I specifically laid it out for him and asked him... You may want to just try to seem interested in hanging out so you can get to know each other a little better.... since coming right out to have a serious talk is probably not something that you would be comfortable with...

Starry

Well...the truth of the matter is...is that 'flakiness' (with regards to the majority of ENFPs you meet) is just going to be part of the territory...and should NOT be taken as something that automatically points to 'not caring'.

I don't know what your type is...but I worked with an older ISTJ female...that had been married to an ENFP male for something like 30+ years...and everyday she came into the office with some funny story about his 'flakiness'. Like she would say something like...'now how many pots and pans does one have to use to make a pack of boxed mac & cheese?'...or she would talk about sending her husband to the store for a quick errand and he would arrive home several hours later because some neighbor asked him for help with moving something...and then they would have a beer or something (she actually ended up purchasing walkie-talkies instead of cell phones in order to help him with his distraction problem). Or he would start one project...and then another...and another...and by the time she got home the entire house would be a mess. But MAN did they LOVE each other. No...he was a total flake. But she admired his intellegence...and his caring and compassion for people. She always said she would have to STOP him from giving anyone the 'shirt off his back'. She learned how to deal with the flakiness. And is SO HAPPY in her marriage.

But no...haha. Relationships with ENFPs are NOT for the faint of heart. And if your fear is going to prevent you from taking a risk here...then I don't know. Maybe you are missing out. Maybe you're not. Only you can determine that.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Being fairly certain of my own ENFP typing I wan't to add a few things, none of it is an absolute however.

1) It is VERY easy for ENFP's to get caught up in whatever whirlwind of life they happen to be involved with, and sometimes if you are not right there in their path or line of sight it's easy for them to get distracted and set you to the side. It's NOT intentionally rejecting, it's just that most ENFP's have ALOT of life going on around them to engage - HOWEVER

2) Every time I have met someone that I've genuinely been interested in - I MAKE it happen, unless their is some odd, bizzare circumstance preventing it. I almost always take the initiate regardless of how intimidated or awkard I feel.. I leave the door open. I also re arrange things, schedules, etc. to be available.

If you wan't to know if your ENFP is really into you, take the initiative yourself, even boldy no matter how unnatural this may be for you.. and see where it goes. If the bait isn't bitten after 2-3 attempts.. I wouldn't say it's impossible but I'd definately be open to other people.

Meh, maybe it's just me though. I am fairly direct with what interests me.

Spring

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
See, that's the thing: I understand that ENFPs get distracted easily. But it seems to me like if you really care... you care! Actions speak louder than words. I've probably been making something out of nothing. This thread was dumb, sorry

Starry

See, that's the thing: I understand that ENFPs get distracted easily. But it seems to me like if you really care... you care! Actions speak louder than words. I've probably been making something out of nothing. This thread was dumb, sorry

I don't think this thread was dumb. And I don't get the sense that you have been making something out of nothing. All I'm trying to say is...YES! you are right! Actions do speak louder than words (not that I believe we are always interpreting the actions/non verbal communication/etc. the right way though). And I was just trying to get you to consider what type of message your own 'actions' were putting across. It isn't necessarily fair to expect him to be able to interpret your outward behavior as...'you know I think she might like me'.

I am willing to do MOST of the work in the beginning of a relationship...merely because it is an area where I have some natural strengths. But if the individual seems to be increasingly cold/distant...standoffish...I would probably interpret that as...'alright...this person does not like me at all'...and pull-back.

I had an INFJ in my life that wasn't the best with trust/disclosure/affection in the beginning...etc. etc. But he did do little things for me all the time. He didn't say much...haha. But he would bring me a coffee (and then run away). Or remind me of something because he knows I'm a total flake (I'm not kidding you). He did like Hux said. He stayed in my line-of-sight and kept me focused.

I'm sorry if you aren't finding the information here helpful. I did do my best! haha.

Spring

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
No I found it all helpful, I just don't think I am cut out for this. I don't know why I think I could potentially be with this guy. It obviously wouldn't work. I just got confused by how he has repeatedly made specific commitments to me that he hasn't followed through with. If he just never made those commitments to me it would be a different story and I wouldn't have gotten confused. I see no real reason why he should like me, especially considering how cold I can be, and I know roughly what type of girl he wants and I don't fit that very well. He has just been trying to be nice to me. I need to go back to trying to forget about him.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

About zero if you keep on trying "not to give him any clue of this."

No I found it all helpful, I just don't think I am cut out for this. I don't know why I think I could potentially be with this guy. It obviously wouldn't work. I just got confused by how he has repeatedly made specific commitments to me that he hasn't followed through with. If he just never made those commitments to me it would be a different story and I wouldn't have gotten confused. I see no real reason why he should like me, especially considering how cold I can be, and I know roughly what type of girl he wants and I don't fit that very well. He has just been trying to be nice to me. I need to go back to trying to forget about him.

He didn't "make commitments" as I read it (I might be missing unmentioned details, of course). Rather, it's just that INxJs like you and me interpret commitments where none are intended. Why? Because we would never had said we would do X, and then not do it. We would never express interest in someone unless we were very sure we're interested.

ENFPs are much more "in the moment" than that. They don't plan or deliberate their interest in others. They are actually interested in everyone, more or less. Even with the people they "don't like", they do their best to get along and make people happy. A lot of the flakiness and lack of commitment that you perceive is that approach is more reactive than proactive. When they're with you, talking with you, they're reacting to you and everything they say and do is about you. When they're with someone else, they're reacting to that person, not you.

This is not to imply that ENFPs are incapable of commitment: in fact they can be very faithful, and follow through in surprising ways. But they don't usually respond as an INFJ would expect: the patterns that you find work with most people don't work with them, and he is following his own patterns that you don't quite understand. I'm sure he is/was genuinely interested in you as a person, and not merely "just trying to be nice." I suspect, however, that in the case of the two of you, crossed signals are likely. I think you both sensed a connection, but in following through on that connection each of you finds the other reacting in unaccustomed ways.

My main advice for dealing with ENFPs, from an INxJ perspective, is to accept them as they are, and let them be themselves. Look for the consistencies in their inconsistency (and I don't mean observing that they're consistently inconsistent), and you'll see where their hearts lie. You don't need to forget about him; you just need to let life take its course and see where it leads.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE

Don't be so down on yourself! Of course he might be interested in you. I think what the other ENFPs are saying is you have to push him or ask him for a direct sign if you want to move things. The important question is whether you like him. Go for it!

Renn

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
1w9
My SO is an ENFP and we are in a serious long distance relationship now. I don't know if my experience will be helpful to you but I want to share it. He is a very nice guy to his female friends and can come off very sweet to them sometimes. One thing is certain though, if an enfp likes you and realizes that he wants to have a relationship with you, he will make it happen no matter what the obstacles are. They don't give up easily. Then if an enfp think you are the one, you will definitely hear it cause they will talk about you to their friends and family. Looking back, all I did at the time when we are not in an official relationship yet was enjoy his company and reveal my true self to him. I did not expect anything and I just enjoyed the friendship.

My advice for you is to enjoy his company too and just reveal your true self to him without hidden motives and agenda. Then the rest will just come to its place. If he likes you, he will seek your company because he will be happy with you. Meanwhile, just enjoy life, focus on yourself and do the things that you want.

G

garbage

Being fairly certain of my own ENFP typing I wan't to add a few things, none of it is an absolute however.

1) It is VERY easy for ENFP's to get caught up in whatever whirlwind of life they happen to be involved with, and sometimes if you are not right there in their path or line of sight it's easy for them to get distracted and set you to the side. It's NOT intentionally rejecting, it's just that most ENFP's have ALOT of life going on around them to engage - HOWEVER

2) Every time I have met someone that I've genuinely been interested in - I MAKE it happen, unless their is some odd, bizzare circumstance preventing it. I almost always take the initiate regardless of how intimidated or awkard I feel.. I leave the door open. I also re arrange things, schedules, etc. to be available.

If you wan't to know if your ENFP is really into you, take the initiative yourself, even boldy no matter how unnatural this may be for you.. and see where it goes. If the bait isn't bitten after 2-3 attempts.. I wouldn't say it's impossible but I'd definately be open to other people.

Meh, maybe it's just me though. I am fairly direct with what interests me.

My SO is an ENFP and we are in a serious long distance relationship now. I don't know if my experience will be helpful to you but I want to share it. He is a very nice guy to his female friends and can come off very sweet to them sometimes. One thing is certain though, if an enfp likes you and realizes that he wants to have a relationship with you, he will make it happen no matter what the obstacles are. They don't give up easily. Then if an enfp think you are the one, you will definitely hear it cause they will talk about you to their friends and family. Looking back, all I did at the time when we are not in an official relationship yet was enjoy his company and reveal my true self to him. I did not expect anything and I just enjoyed the friendship.

My advice for you is to enjoy his company too and just reveal your true self to him without hidden motives and agenda. Then the rest will just come to its place. If he likes you, he will seek your company because he will be happy with you. Meanwhile, just enjoy life, focus on yourself and do the things that you want.

Male ENFP chimin' in. In my shier and less mature days, I would put hints out there but lacked the self-confidence to make anything happen. As I've matured, though--even if I were caught up in a 'whirlwind of life,' I would slam the brakes on everything that was going on to make the time for an interesting and viable connection with someone else.

Wherever he is in that maturation process (if he is indeed following that same path), you're going to have to be available for him to drop hints for you or to actively pursue you.

You're gonna have to put yourself out there and answer some of his questions. Don't be afraid of admitting weakness--most of us would do the same, and most would rather you do so and wouldn't judge you for them. As far as my own experiences, the girl made some rather 'shocking' revelations to me within the first few weeks of dating.. and my first thoughts were that everyone has 'stuff' that they are going through and that I cared enough about her to help her through such things. Mutual, beneficial growth is the entire point of a relationship, after all, is it not?

Kitsune413

MBTI Type
enfp
If you're saying he has crushes he hasn't acted on. Then I imagine that you are much the same thing.

I know for me, personally, a big problem is not knowing what a person thinks of me. It used to be a big deal to me. I can't read minds. I can be so empathetic and so insightful that people think I can. If its about one person and another person thats the simplest thing in the world for my brain to figure out. I can watch how a person reacts to another person and divine all the facts in the world. But when it comes to how someone thinks about me? I used to be pretty oblivious to it. That is a good trigger for timidity.

Spring

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yeah I don't know, you guys. I've talked to another ENFP who also knows him and she seems to also get why I think he's "flaky." She is much better adapted to accommodating J's, though. I think you guys are just seeing this from the point of view that anything is possible with ENFPs. Thanks anyway.

Kitsune413

MBTI Type
enfp
Its good that you took the time to come and ask about it. Not alot of INFJ's in the world. But the few I've known can make some pretty quick judgements internally with pretty limited information. Quickly make those judgements. Then when they express those idea's to Te it trips their inferior function and they become adverserial with the outer world. Go into their shell and you're not welcome anymore.

Consider this, though, your weakness is going to be an obsessive focus on external data. Right now you're upset because you're not getting any external clues as to how he feels. We offered that you ask him, because if he is shy. If he has had crushes he hasn't acted on before. If he does like you, he is most likely not going to be able to express himself. You cannot suspect a lack of extraverted feeling is a lack of introverted feeling.

However, it is your decision to make.

Starry

Yeah I don't know, you guys. I've talked to another ENFP who also knows him and she seems to also get why I think he's "flaky." She is much better adapted to accommodating J's, though. I think you guys are just seeing this from the point of view that anything is possible with ENFPs. Thanks anyway.

You're welcome anyway.

And I think you should drop the ENFP. Even if he attempts to make contact with you again...I think you should continue to do what you are doing...and just stay away from him. Let the ENFP go.