• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF MBTI Type History

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've always identify myself as an INFJ from the beginning. Lately, however, I'm wondering if I could be an ENFJ. I still need more time to explore on this. :shrug:

I'm just wondering what has been your history of your type from the beginning? I think it'll be interesting to see how NF members changed their types over time. :)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
entp -> enfp -> infp

entp is just the result i got when i first took some version of the test, i was 13 or 14. i didn't actually look too much into it.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tested as INTJ when I first learned of mbti in my early 20's, right out of college, and self-identified as one / related to the profile descriptions.

In mid-to-late-20's I started thinking I might be INFJ instead. I'm still not sold on any type when it comes to myself, though, so don't strongly identify with anything anymore.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Age 19: First time I took a free test online I got ISTJ because I thought of myself as quite pragmatic. Realized I was much more idealistic though. Getting schooled in science and empirical thought kind of makes a pragmatic out of me.

Around age 20-22: Scored mostly INTJ on MBTI tests, occasionally scored as INFJ.

Age 22-Now: Flip-flop between INTJ and INFJ on MBTI tests. Although at this moment I am leaning towards INFJ.

Silveresque

When I first learned about the MBTI, I didn't understand the S/N dichotomy very well so I mistyped as ISFP. Then I took a test a while later and got INFP and decided that fit me better. Nowadays I usually get INTP on tests, with an occasional S, F, or J. I tried out INTP for a while, but at the moment I think I'm probably an INFP.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Well, since I really got into MBTI only INFP, although I had slight doubts obviously about basically every letter already, but they were never very big.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I took the MBTI when I was 13 or so - though it might have been another personality test. I also think that I tested INTJ or at least some type of NT. THis makes sense as I fancied myself an intellectual for a long time, my mom is probably an INTJ, and I think I came across more as such till my late teens at least.

After I moved away from home my F-ness gained full force. ;) I took an MBTI test when I was 26, tested INFJ, read the description, and was shocked at how closely it fit me. I didn't know anything about MBTI and didn't know INFJ or NFs were supposed to be "special". It was some time before I started looking into the other types as well, but looking at them simply confirmed I was sure I was INFJ.

So I've been at least somewhat into MBTI since 2006 at least. I have occasionally wondered if I am ISFJ and I sometimes kind of lean ENFJ as well. I have occasionally tested INFP or ESFJ as well. But I have little doubt that I'm a (Fe-heavy) INFJ.

One thing for sure - while in recent years I've occasionally had scores of E, or S, or P, I have never had a T score, not once. I am a bona fide Feeler. I'm inevitably very heavy on the Fe, too!

Starry

[MENTION=13357]Crescent Fresh[/MENTION] - I could see you as an eNFJ.

I took the MBTI when I was 18 and typed as ENFP...read the description...thought it fit...but didn't really think much about it until SEVERAL years later I took the MBTI again...and again typed as ENFP. This is sorta what brought me to MBTI. I thought it unusual that in spite of the fact I had had so many life experiences...and felt so evolved/changed/different as a human being (from the time of my first testing)...I was 'coming-up the same'. I have since learned, however, that it is not as 'clear-cut' for everyone. It just was for me. ENFP is the only type I have...and probably ever will identify with.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My first interest was sparked in MBTI when it seemed like a way to describe a huge gulf in communication between me and my then SO. Maybe that was 4 years ago. At the time I thought I was an INTP, but I was really just depressed (not to imply anything about INTPs). As I was able to learn about myself, it became clear to me that I was an E, and I was suspicious about my T status. My Extraversion was a revelation, because it explained so much, but wasn't obvious because I'm was/am(?) not socially extraverted. Really, all that I am sure about myself is that I am an E and a P and an N and I relate to Fs more than Ts.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
ENFP... and that's it. I've doubted it before, but at the end of the day I know what my function order is (the 1st 2 anyway) so that's that.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I first took some free online MBTI test years ago because I was into personality tests at the time, although only for fun. It said I was 50% INTJ and 50% INTP. I paid as much attention to it as I did the other personality tests (like the ones of what Disney character are you).

Then about two years ago, I randomly found another MBTI online test and took it again. I came up as INTJ. This time, I looked into it more. Since it was based off of Carl Jung, and I knew from psychology class in college that he was a well-respected psychologist, I took it more seriously, and the rest is history as far as my interest in MBTI goes.

I didn't question INTJ much for about a year since the descriptions seemed to fit me a lot (although I occasionally wondered if I was INTP). Finally, though, I started seriously wondering if I was actually an INFJ since I felt like no INTJ would be so interested in relationships and people as I am. At first, it was hard to reconcile the descriptions of INFJs with me (a lot of them are really one-sided). And also the fact that MBTI tests ask questions like "Do you value logic or emotion more?" as a determiner between F and T really threw me for a loop since I highly value logic. The clincher was when I studied the cognitive functions and realized without a doubt that Ni-Fe-Ti-Se was me. And when I realized that it wasn't unusual for INFJs to have well-developed Ti.

It's crossed my mind to test out other options, but I keep coming back to the same thing.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Age 16 short MBTI test = INFX
College tested = INFJ
Online tests in my 30's = all manner of IN?? with some predominance of INFJ.

I'm definitely an introvert and pretty abstract and intuitive. The rest is not so clear. I'm rather organized, but quite laid back which obscures the P/J bit, and I'm pretty hardcore in terms of empathy and rationality. I take in more subjective data, but tend to process it rationally. My brain has a foundation of fuzzy logic.

A

Anew Leaf

First time: age 18 in college. Took the official test. Got I (strong), N (very strong), F (moderate), and P (weak).

I considered myself INFX because of the weak p/j scale until I discovered the cognitive functions. Now I do not doubt that I am an INFP. No one on here believes me but I know myself. :)

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
When I first did the test, I was 16, in high school, and I got INTP. I thought I was cold and aloof, but I just actually had an incredible low self steem (so I kept myself away from people and seemed aloof to them). I read the INTP description and thought: "yeah, that's ok. It's not reaaaally me, but it's just another silly internet test. At least it says I'm not much into spending time with people."
When I was 18 years old, in engineering college, thinking about how much I disliked my classes, and thinking about other things I would like to study, I went to internet to look for answers. Then I made the MBTI test again and got INFP. When I read the description I was: "omg, this text is talking about MY SOUL." Then I read a loooot about MBTI and I discovered I can be classified as INFP.
Since then, I spent a lot of time doubting my result and I kept asking myself if I was really INFP, or ISFP, or INTP, or ENFP, or INFJ (all INFP, but changing one letter), but I always end up concluding I'm really INFP. Now I'm studying Psychology and I've never been happier. :)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did the Keirsey sorter in college - got INTJ. Did the official MBTI at work ~ 10 years ago and 3 years ago - INTJ both times. I've never scored close to other types, and INTJ has always been the best fit.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
[MENTION=13357]Crescent Fresh[/MENTION] - I could see you as an eNFJ.

I've been thinking about this too. I did get other types when I first discovered MBTI less than a year ago. Even though I did get different types in the beginning, I did get tested repeatedly as INFJ eventually.

When I read both descriptions of E/INFJ, I do see parallel traits from both types. I need to reflect a little more as I'm having inconsistent results with Eneg type as well (ranging from type 1w9, 4w3 and most recently 4w5).

And also compared to most of you here, I realized I'm such a late boomer (for less than a year). I wonder if there are any newbies like me among NFs in TypeC?

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISFJ, then INFJ, INFP...sometimes ENFJ. I've always been pretty much a feeler (lately a gigantic crybaby but so what lol), and I do have a set of values I maintain for myself which is probably where the J comes in. I don't force them on anyone else, and I certainly don't expect anyone to try to change my mind about them either.

G

garbage

ENTJ in college, because everyone loves a task-oriented engineer.
ESFJ when I joined the forums because I didn't know crap.
Then ENTJ again.
Then ENTP.
Then ENFP.
Then INFJ during a melancholy/reflective/Ni-fueled lull.
Then ENFP again. Maybe I'll stay here.

No real rhyme or reason, other than intuition-dominant became obvious once I looked into it. Fi is a hard description to actually truly identify with; what tipped me off, among many other things, was that I cared about identifying with descriptions. Once it's 'clicked' for me, however, I see that the Ne mindset rings so, so true for me--I cannot help but bring in random contexts as I think about any given thing. Once I have lived the description, everything just 'clicked.'

I wonder how much variance there is in how NFs test/identify versus Ts--I've heard that Ts more generally wind up knowing right off the bat.

Last edited:

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Here comes the next question. Do you think you guys have been mistyped from the beginning or you did evolve to a different type over time?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here comes the next question. Do you think you guys have been mistyped from the beginning or you did evolve to a different type over time?

I'm inclined to think that everyone has an innate true type, but that you can look like other types due to circumstance, upbringing, being young and character still developing, etc.

Although character does change and develop of course as people grow up, I still think that your fundamental type doesn't change.