• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF MBTI Type History

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here comes the next question. Do you think you guys have been mistyped from the beginning or you did evolve to a different type over time?

This is very hard to answer because who I think I am seems to effect how I see myself through time. I have noticed that the more I am able to personally explore myself, the more I feel in touch with myself as a kid. I think there was just a momentary (decade+) disconnect between who I was and who I am. But I have feeling that my 12 year old self was more ENTP than ENFP.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
When i originally took the test 3 years ago i came up as ESFJ although in my defence i was in a very messed up place when asked to take it. Over the last 3 years and having taken the test many times i have fallen into numerous categories but recently have been given the title INFP (I-55%, N-55%, F-55%, P-65%) and on the socionics came out with INFj. It's only over the last 19 months that I've started trusting my intuition or possibly i am an ISFP, either may i am more comfortable in my quest than previously :)

I don't openly advertise this type to people as i know i am a neurotic feeler however IRL i display far more Fi and on here Fe.

Here comes the next question. Do you think you guys have been mistyped from the beginning or you did evolve to a different type over time?

I think i will continue to evolve. Who i was 10 years ago to present day is different due to the wisdom i have obtained through life experiences. Also being on this forum and being in a position to share and seek knowledge in a multitude of areas has opened my mind to many differing perspectives.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From beginning to end... (Starting from before forum days)

INFP, ENFP, INFP, ISFP, ESFP, ISFP, ESFP, ENFP INFP. *sigh*

Re: question about correct typing.
Seems like I had it right the first time but it appears as though I started in a more natural state and developed really handy traits as I got older with some focus on traits to survive environmental stuff. E was an immediate helper and a lot of SJ traits that I needed as I got older and put in different situations.

G

garbage

I feel that I took on traits, projects, and goals that were at least somewhat against what I would truly have wanted. I've had a love/hate relationship (also fear, anxiety, etc.) with other people, so psychology was out of the question until after I had already started to establish my career. I've always had good analytical skills and a dash of creativity, so I sought engineering at first. Things just never seemed 'right' in that field for me, though, even though I had a notion of myself that I was an engineer.

Had I 'found myself' earlier, I would likely have majored in psychology instead of engineering--but who knows what sort of paycheck I would have drawn or how I could have established a career? It may have worked, or it may have not. Now, I bring psychology into engineering, and vice versa, so I'll say that everything worked out for the best.

Long and short, we can't argue with our own innate preferences, whether or not MBTI accurately describes them--but we can grow and adapt much more than we tend to think.

Starry

I've been thinking about this too. I did get other types when I first discovered MBTI less than a year ago. Even though I did get different types in the beginning, I did get tested repeatedly as INFJ eventually.

When I read both descriptions of E/INFJ, I do see parallel traits from both types. I need to reflect a little more as I'm having inconsistent results with Eneg type as well (ranging from type 1w9, 4w3 and most recently 4w5).

And also compared to most of you here, I realized I'm such a late boomer (for less than a year). I wonder if there are any newbies like me among NFs in TypeC?

If I absolutely had to guess...I would say eNFJ 4w3...but I can't say for certain. I was just throwing that out there in the off-chance there was any value in it for you.

Also...I didn't quite understand what you meant by that last bit. Are you wondering if there are any other NFs that are 'newer' to the site?

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seems like the teritary function has a heavy influence on all these variant typings. That and not knowing much about MBTI.

Not an NF, but I've had the potential to mistype as ISTJ (actually happened), INTP, INTJ (Ni influence), ISFP (Enneatype 9 influence).

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I've always been who I am, so in that sense, I'm never going to change the 'core' of who I am and how I operate.

~Unpopular Answer~
However the problem is applying a persons' core to a framework that was created by us and which may not contain all of the parameters with which any persons' 'core' (however you want to define that) is constructed. It's also making the framework Reality (i.e. 'everyone's born a type') rather than keeping it as: we are born who we are, and most of us can probably be categorized into one of 16 types/trends. i.e. Mbti is an after-the-fact Tool which can be utilized, not the starting point, and it describes trends, not black-and-white modes with no variability/deviation.

There's also no objective, definitive way to type someone or to 'prove' you are one type and not another. There is simply too much variance in definitions, usage, perceptions, and applications of type. So there's no way for me to even say 100% that I AM a certain type, or I am mistyped now, or was mistyped then, etc.

Any 'evolution' in typing is probably due to the fact that there's no standard notion of what is what, and so how can you really blame people from moving from one type to the next if every test out there is utilizing different methods of typing/determining type? Everyone on this site probably also has their own pet ways of typing other people and deciding what is 'really' the way to determine type.

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If I absolutely had to guess...I would say eNFJ 4w3...but I can't say for certain. I was just throwing that out there in the off-chance there was any value in it for you.

Funny enough, I did get tested as 4w3 before but recently I got tested as 4w5. And that's when I started to suspect that I could be a ENFJ due to Fe-dom.

I also noticed both of my Fi and Fe scored relatively high, so I'm wondering if that's the reason why I can relate to Fi users on occasion.

Are you wondering if there are any other NFs that are 'newer' to the site?

Yes, as I want to see if they share the similar experience as I do. :)

Happy

MBTI Type
Xnfj
Enneagram
4/5
Yes, as I want to see if they share the similar experience as I do. :)

to be succinct.. Yes. Im in the boat right here with you. “as long as you mean having a preference for extroversion”

I came across the mbti field in 08, however at the time I was typing infp.. but that was essentially because I was having a massive identity crisis a trying to figure out who I was I
related to many of the questions in the infp profile search for there true selves.. and "I was probably I think at this point mistaking my chronic childhood depression with natural introversion..but never felt that there was enough of a connection for the typology to be applicable as a useful lens. Pretty much forgot about it until this year..

for me Im beginning to questions whether the introverted behavior I exhibited was almost an entirely a adaptive/defensive learned trait as my social, psychological and behavioral wellbeing has improved directly along side with my willingness to be outgoing and express Fe.. “and I want to do more” also talking to my mother, she said that as a child I was extremely extroverted and very sensitive to those around me . however several years later and quite a bit more happy with myself. it seems I may have been unnecessarily quick to dismiss the value of the system. and the and the community of people looking to find better ways to relate to each other.
:doh:

the question for me now "in mbti speak" is whether Im more comfortable with Fe or Ni.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The nutshell:

Age 17 - tested INTP, didn't fit, dismissed the theory
Early-mid 20s - tested INFP, INFJ, INTP, figured I was INFP or INFJ & didn't care enough to investigate further
Age 25 - Settled on INFP after reading Fi description & began to identify as INFP (the only type I've actually ever identified as)

I have only ever tested as an INxx ype, and I've only tested INTJ twice. I mostly test INTP or INFP now, often very close on T/F. Of course, the test is only an indicator of what you might be, so changing results does not mean a changing personality (more like changing moods and variations in the tests themselves).

The long version:

I took a test in a book of my sister's called Love Types & got INTP (the book is awful, FYI). The description did not fit well, but the Feeling ones sounded too mushy & people-focused. It made feeling sound like emotion. As a teen, I was very detached emotionally from people and did not have any characteristic empathetic NF attitude. However, the INTP description sounded too dry, cold and "scientific". I saw my inner self as passionate & artistic, just not people-focused. I dismissed the whole thing & forgot about it.

Then in my early-mid 20s I'd goof off at work and take various MBTI tests online for fun. I started testing INFP & INFJ sometimes, in addition to INTP still. The INFP & INFJ descriptions I read (I think it was on personalitypage.com) really hit home. They stirred a strong reaction in me. They made feeling sound more like people who reasoned on what is important/valuable and who were passionate about what was right/good/beautiful. That resonated with me. I didn't care enough to look into the j/p thing at that point. It just sounded like time management/decisiveness tendencies. I considered myself a decisive & willful person, but preferring unstructured environments and spontaneity.

One day, I decided to get to figure out what was the real difference between INTP, INFP & INFJ, since I tested all of these and some parts of the descriptions seemed to overlap, or I'd relate to chunks of each. I leaned towards INxP, especially INFP, because of the three, it sounded the most imaginative and creative/artistic, which I saw as some of my defining qualities. So I found my way to INFPgc and someone gave me a Ti & Fi description to read (Van Der Hoop's). The Fi description really hit home with me. I knew then I was a Fi-dominant. I began to identify as INFP. Further research just explained the other aspects (such as the j/p bit & cognitive processes) and cemented my type.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First time I took the tests? I got something of an INFX. I went through INFP>ISFP (Members here said I was sort of ISFP ish)>INFJ.

I went with INFP for all intensive purposes in the beginning. Of course, I didn't really care too much about it besides the fact that taking the test was part of a class assignment.

There are still people here who think I'm an INFP ([MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]), and there is even some who think that I am outside of those three types, but I think it is because I've stuck with INFP the longest so I have formed some conceptions on how INFPs "act."

Rough times are rough times as good times are good times, I suppose. I can borrow the enneagram and say that a person can appear like another type based on how they are reacting at the given time. Perceptions do change over time.

So a little bit of both? From all these years I've been messing around with MBTI, it seems a few of them like to ascribe the function orders in certain timelines. During those timelines, people tend to start developing their functions to see what works and what doesn't. What doesn't work obviously gets thrown out and what "doesn't work anymore" gets thrown out to be replaced.

When I first took the test was certainly different from how I ascribe myself now.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
apart from occasionally thinking I was an introvert, ENFP found me pretty fast and stuck around.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I first took a Keirsey sorter when I was 14 or 15 and was grouped as a rational. It didn't really grab me. My ENFJ mother was disappointed because she was sure I was REALLY an INFP idealist, and I was just going through a cynical adolescent phase. I didn't think much of it at the time.

While in therapy at 18, I tested as an INTP. The therapist who is registered to administer the test was, looking back, fucking clueless about the whole thing. She gave me the impressions that the thinking/feeling dichotomy as a question of do you think or do you emote. I imagined all feelers as mushy-headed huggers who have knitting circles and read Nicholas Sparks novels. Not something a nerdy teenaged boy wants to identify with. So I tested INTP and the result still didn't click.

What eventually lead me to the NF path was quite accidental. I went through this phase where I was obsessed with duality and mystics. I got really into William Blake, Herman Hesse, Swedenbourg, etc. Eventually I stumbled upon Jung and his Psychological Types. His description of introverted feeling resonated so deeply with me, and the book as a whole gave me a waaaay better understanding of the different functions. After some Myers Briggs reading, I eventually decided I was INFP. And even though I drift off to INFJ and ENFP from time to time, I always come back to INFP in the end.

On a side note: Crescent, I don't know you at all, outside the occasional pleasant forum interaction, so what I'm saying is not an individual assessment of your character (although if you were wondering what my individual guess would be is that you are INFJ). First of all, a lot of people recognize their Auxilary better than their dom., because you take your dominant worldview for granted. It's that whole analogy of the fish doesn't see the water it's swimming in. So it may well be that you are only just realizing you're an ENFJ, and you just never recognized your Fe-dominance. However, you might just be getting in touch with your auxilary as you mature. You're fairly young aren't you? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I feel like I read at one point that you're in your twenties. I have read a few times, that people in their twenties really start becoming more conscious of their auxilary function. So you might just be noticing Fe a lot more because it's emerging. Well I'm sure you've been aware of it for a while, but I just mean it never really "broke out". I should stop now, I am probably just muddying the waters, with my disoriented thrashing. Hopefully you know what I meant.

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're an INFP who tested as INTP, could you be an INFP Type 5?

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I first took the test in high school and scored as ENFJ. I have taken the test many times through out the years and consistantly scored the same thing. But there was one time when I scored INFJ, I was totally in hermit mode at the time. Does anyone here have a link to a good test? Hook it up!

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I first discovered MBTI in the late 90s, I typed myself as an INTJ (I was working as tech support and had taken classes in Engineering and Drafting at the time so those factors probably slanted me toward T) and enough of it fit that I didnt question it for quite a few years, but a few years later I re-evaluated myself and scored as INFJ and again decided that the description seemed to be a good fit. Eventually I discovered the website infjorinfp.com and after reading much of the content there began to have doubts that I was actually an INFJ and felt a lot of the INFP descriptions seemed to fit better for me (not all, but enough to make me reconsider). At that time I started buying lots of MBTI related books (please understand me, personality type: an owners manual, building blocks of personality, was that really me, and a few of the type descripin booklets). The conclusion I reached is that Fi seemed to be my strongest function and Se was my weakest and based on that INFP did seem to be a pretty good fit. I don't really feel like I fit the norm for INFPs and I think I actually relate more to a lot of INFJs here (but there are plenty of INFJs here that do seem to think quite differently than me), so I still ocasionaly question if I've typed myself acuratly or not. There have also been times where I have considered INTP as a possibility, but I end up dismissing it becasue although I like logic, it nearly always comes in second place to emotion in my decision making if both of those are a factor. More recently I have also given consideration to the possibility of ISFJ.

I believe my intiial INTJ mistyping was due to aspiring to be seen as smart and logical - I also grew on Star Trek and always liked Spock and he inspired me to value logic. As I aged, I found myself often confliced between what is logical and what I thought was right, and when I eventualy started choosing what I thought was right instead of just choosing logic all the time, I found I felt better about myself. I also found myself frequently conflicted with what I thought was "acceptable" or "moral" and what I thought was right (Fe vs Fi) and until I reached the conclusion that sociatal norms and traditions are not right for everyone (not always right for me), that resulted in a lot of misery from choosing acceptable over what I thoguth was right for me.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
.... However, you might just be getting in touch with your auxilary as you mature. You're fairly young aren't you? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I feel like I read at one point that you're in your twenties. I have read a few times, that people in their twenties really start becoming more conscious of their auxilary function. So you might just be noticing Fe a lot more because it's emerging. Well I'm sure you've been aware of it for a while, but I just mean it never really "broke out". I should stop now, I am probably just muddying the waters, with my disoriented thrashing. Hopefully you know what I meant.

Give or take the general time period when the functions are being tested/better developed.

Childhood: Dominant
Adolescence/Young-Adulthood: Auxiliary
Adulthood: Tertiary
Mid-life: Inferior

It is generally accepted that once the auxiliary is decided, that the functions begin to truly look like a particular type. Until then, if the person is stuck between a perceiving/judging function (say... as an example INXJ[Fe or Te] or IXFP[Ne or Se]) for the auxiliary... chances are is that the person is still testing those waters.