• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Some kind of dissociation while thinking?

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I always wanted to ask about some phenomenon which I observed quite a few times but always forgot about again.

Sometimes it happens to me that I think about something (nothing specific) and somehow get so absent-minded that I at some point snap out of it and first get aware about my own existence. It is as if I forgot about myself while thinking, and first have to get aware again of myself. That is not a big process, it is just some kind of short "remembering" about myself. Whenever it happens it seems a bit odd to me.

I don't know if that means anything and I am not really afraid of it, I just wanted to know if there are people who have similar experiences.

PS: Didn't know in what forum to put the thread, so I put it here.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Happens to me all the time. :)

N

NPcomplete

Sometimes when I get deep in thought, I feel like I am "one with the idea(s)" and nothing else exists/matters. It's always a thrilling state to be in. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the part where you say you have to become aware about your own existence though. Hmm how does it feel? :thinking:

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes when I get deep in thought, I feel like I am one with the idea and nothing else exists/matters. It's always a thrilling state to be in. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the part where you say you have to become aware about your own existence though. Hmm how does it feel? :thinking:

I can't speak for the OP, but for me it's like a split second where you break off from the thought, and you quite aren't aware of where you are or what you are doing. Kind of a fun feeling to be honest. :)

N

NPcomplete

I can't speak for the OP, but for me it's like a split second where you break off from the thought, and you quite aren't aware of where you are or what you are doing. Kind of a fun feeling to be honest. :)

Ooh I don't think I've experienced that...yet. I've only felt something similar to that whenever I doze off during the day and I wake up with a fogged mind.

I'm really intrigued by this now. :thinking:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I've gotten that too (if I understand the OP), usually around the experience of playing or writing music. To be honest, its the best thing I have ever felt, bar none. It's like deep diving, then surfacing and remembering the the world exists, you're hungry and have to pee:D

Mole

Permabanned
Yes, it is called a trance and is based on dissociation. And in a trance it is the cognitive faculties that are dissociated from the creative faculties.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Sometimes when I get deep in thought, I feel like I am "one with the idea(s)" and nothing else exists/matters. It's always a thrilling state to be in. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the part where you say you have to become aware about your own existence though. Hmm how does it feel? :thinking:

Well, it is difficult for me to describe. I get aware about about my consciousness and the world around me suddenly when I snap out of my thoughts. Before that I just think, and during that thinking I somehow forget a conscious sense of myself. Basically I lose the constant awareness that my thoughts are coming from myself and that I think them as a living being in a living world. Maybe nebbykoo explained it in a more easy to understand way :D

Those moments don't last too long actually. It is not like I sit there for hours meditating about something. It just happens in some minutes maybe, and I cannot yet say that it would have to do with specific topics I am thinking about. I am also not sure how regularly I experience this, but it happened several times. I was just curious to find out if other people here experience the same, because I never heard people talk about such things :)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep, this happens to me. It's nice to get away from yourself for a while. It's also a good indicator that you're putting your whole self into something. This tends to happen to me when I'm doing something physical.

N

NPcomplete

Well, it is difficult for me to describe. I get aware about about my consciousness and the world around me suddenly when I snap out of my thoughts. Before that I just think, and during that thinking I somehow forget a conscious sense of myself. Basically I lose the constant awareness that my thoughts are coming from myself and that I think them as a living being in a living world. Maybe nebbykoo explained it in a more easy to understand way :D

Those moments don't last too long actually. It is not like I sit there for hours meditating about something. It just happens in some minutes maybe, and I cannot yet say that it would have to do with specific topics I am thinking about. I am also not sure how regularly I experience this, but it happened several times. I was just curious to find out if other people here experience the same, because I never heard people talk about such things :)

Oh thanks for the explanation! It makes a lot of sense. I'm starting to believe (more and more) that I have had such experiences (and not only after dozing off :p). :)

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not only does this happen to me while thinking/daydreaming, but while making music and mucking about with the synths, I totally get zoned into that thing... lose track of how I'm feeling... kind of like entering a state of zen or something.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I (think) I do this frequently if I know what you're talking about, mostly in the middle of the night. For me, sometimes I don't even feel like I'm coming up with my own thoughts, it's like I'm watching this movie in fast forward, it's like this big long strew of ideas and images, sometimes relating to one another, it's another world completely. When I come back, it's really strange because it was like I was in a whole new mindset, like.... the rest of the world didn't even exist for a while.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can relate to this phenomena with my mind drifting off a lot. Getting so absorbed in something and really really focusing on it, getting lost in it, and almost like going off into my own little world. Losing track of time when the mind wanders, and coming up with ideas for things to work on, or just ruminating on nonsense.

Completely forgetting about my surroundings and getting jolted back to reality. My mind is in the non-reality for most of the time though. Wondering about things and bouncing things around. Taking things in, going into my own little world, and concepts materialize but losing a sense of "self."

The sense of self is something that's learned for all, and while identity is important to me, it's kind of weird. Thinking of concepts, things I've learned, others, ideas, things to say, but the sense of self gets lost.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ive had this feeling lately, occasionally, where nothing feels real. I feel like I am floating outside of myself. I feel like everything in the world is fake, a lie, almost like everything is an elaborate play and I am being duped.

My heart races but I dont hyperventilate. My head gets very light and the longer it goes on the worse it gets. After a while I just. Things go in and out. Ill stare at a point on the wall or a design on my pants and itll almost zoom in and out like a camera. Everything feels wobbly and I start thinking I might be idk. I might be fake too.

It sucks.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My Fe is tert, but even I have experienced this. Its probably more than a function though. This is most likely a type of deep thinking, while not being "in the moment". But it's something everyone can do, like when something has their undivided attention. I am like this with reading especially. It is probably called flow.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I always wanted to ask about some phenomenon which I observed quite a few times but always forgot about again.

Sometimes it happens to me that I think about something (nothing specific) and somehow get so absent-minded that I at some point snap out of it and first get aware about my own existence. It is as if I forgot about myself while thinking, and first have to get aware again of myself. That is not a big process, it is just some kind of short "remembering" about myself. Whenever it happens it seems a bit odd to me.

I don't know if that means anything and I am not really afraid of it, I just wanted to know if there are people who have similar experiences.

PS: Didn't know in what forum to put the thread, so I put it here.

Oh. This is different than I am describing.

But yeah. This happens to me much more frequently than the other thing. I thought this was relatively normal. Like. Getting caught up in your own head/distracted.