• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ti] Are you competitive?

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm not competitive, yet I get mad at myself when I can't do things as well as other people.

So maybe I'm competitive?

I'm competitive, & maybe I'm so repetitive.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Things I'm not competitive about: cooking, cleaning, doing work, having money, social status... being knowledgeable, well-read, being good at arguing, playing sports, knowing about sports.

Things I'm competitive about: things I care about. Things I myself do... creations, actions. Things I'm secretive about.

Favorite competition: against imposing historical figures (Napoleon, Aleander the Great, etc)-- throwing a loop into their ideology while also outdoing them in their own battles (metaphor)

Worst competition: battles against guidos, "hipsters", bros, dubstep & all stylish modernistic flavors of Philistines. The worst part of all is lowering yourself to their level, which is hard enough.

- Arrogant Digestion

V

violaine

My tendency is to be competitive with myself. I've always wanted to be the best person I can be. To do everything better than I did it the last time around. I have since identified that kind of thinking as potentially life-denying and unhealthy. I'm not hard on myself the way I used to be anymore. I kinda like making mistakes and being non-optimized.

I used to think I was exempt from stereotypically competitive impulses against others. Consciously, I would rather a cooperative approach to almost any activity. I've since realized that I might just make the most competitive move of all by not even engaging with other people on that level. You can't beat me if I'm not playing the game!

I have never competed for a guy but I suspect any chica trying to get with my man would need a good deal of luck. :laugh: I don't put up with any kind of line crossing from other women when it comes to my relationships. Though, I don't regard that as competition. (It's not a competition if someone is interested in my BF and he's not interested and choosing to be with me, is it). Wouldn't be in a relationship with anyone who tried to play me off against other women.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In general I'm not very competitive, but there are some things that I can be ridiculously competitive about.

It seems to me like I'm really competing with myself through standards which are set based on other people, rather than actually competing with other people themselves.

(In other words it's like I feel like I needed to do at least as well at something as someone else for like, self-gratification, rather than directly competing with them, if that makes sense...)

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Few more things to say.

Some political philosophers say competitiveness is the key to industriousness.

But at some point it gets to the point of being a hamster on a running wheel, running faster & faster for that invisible morsel of cheese perched ever before you. The cheese of happiness, cheese of sublimity: not gonna happen.

Think of all the crazed workaholics around today, filtering thru the cities, rummaging the subways & hiding electric gold under the Federal Reserve, bragging about how much they can work. Then realize they probably work 20-40% less than the average 10 year old English street-kid in the 19th century.

It's literally impossible for me to imagine being competitive about any sort of job I could ever have.

But when it comes to something I care about, I often love competing. Nothing feels better than doing something nobody's ever done before. & doing it better than anyone else could.

But even that can lead to a dead end.

Competition is a spice. Competition is one of the 96 colors in the Crayola crayons crayon box, fuschia.

Competition is fuschia, magenta, & cinnamon.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I play a lot of competitive games and I get really pissed when I lose. I think a lot of people would call me competitive, but that would only be sort of true. I'm competitive in the sense that I HATE feeling incompetent. That bitterness that comes with losing is actually a just me thinking that I'm not good enough, that I'm not special, that I will never be that guy. You know, type 4 stuff. I don't usually feel compelled to smash someone else to the ground just to feel superior.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really enjoy competition. Always have. It's invigorating. I'm not a bad loser but very much do like to win. If I lose, I generally want to try again so I can win the next time.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I like competing in sports. I give my best but I don't mind losing. Not so competitive on the job, because it can quickly turn nasty.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I'm not competitive at all. My drive comes from attempting to prove something to myself, and also trying to shake up whatever assumptions others put on me. I have asserted wins in certain small competitions in life, not because I'm competitive, but because people mistake my uncompetitiveness for being incapable, and I resent it.

Inverness

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm not really all that competitive, I suppose I embrace a friendly level of competition, but no where near cut-throut.

I find myself being most competitive in individual sports like tennis, billiards, or even ping pong.

Wanderer

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm highly competitive. I trained for a 10 k and only got my time down to about 52 minutes - day of the race I finished in 45 xD
Why? Because there were people to pass! And gosh darn it, none of them were going to pass me once I'd passed them!

I have high standards for myself, but I do best when I have other people to compete against. The more challenging the competition, the better.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am mostly competitive with myself. I don't really enter alot of competitions or contests but yet I silently compare myself to others alot. More than I think is psychologically healthy sometimes. I don't have to be number one but I feel a need to at least be on par with my peers. The more time and effort I invest in something, the more intense these feelings are. So, I feel a need to do at least as well in my career as the next person but in some area in life I hardly spend time on and have little interest in, like cooking, I'm not too bothered that most are better than me.

I really find it difficult to deal when I've given something my full effort and still fall short compared to the majority of other people. I like playing video games, yet I know I suck big time at them. I know success in video games is hardly indicative of success in real life. If anything, there may be a negative correlation since people who spend a bunch of time playing video games, probably aren't spending as much time doing something more 'productive.' Yet, somehow it really bothers me when I've practiced hard at a game and others can beat the game in considerably less time and with less game overs than me.

It's probably good that I don't play competitive sports because the same sort of thing would happen. I've never been athletic and I have the feeling, I'd lose most of the time in spite of hard work and I'd find it difficult to deal with.

Sometimes there are times when I don't want to be competitive, I just want to do my own thing. I resent the whole 'competitiveness' atmosphere of the job market. When job hunting, I just want to find something I enjoy and earn a big enough paycheck to earn a comfortable living. When interviewing for jobs, I just want to show that I'm competent and experienced enough with good character. Yet, to earn a job, I feel like I have to show directly or indirectly how I'm better suited for the job than all the other candidates. I hate that. It's like there's a competition where only one person wins and gets the prize (the job).

I play a lot of competitive games and I get really pissed when I lose. I think a lot of people would call me competitive, but that would only be sort of true. I'm competitive in the sense that I HATE feeling incompetent. That bitterness that comes with losing is actually a just me thinking that I'm not good enough, that I'm not special, that I will never be that guy. You know, type 4 stuff. I don't usually feel compelled to smash someone else to the ground just to feel superior.

Not a type 4 but I completely agree with all of this.

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not really. Not going to get too elaborate, but I pretty much gave up on competition around my Jr. High/High school years. If I do do a competition, I'll just do it for fun and sike myself out to be realistic to ease the pain that I won't win.

Malleus

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not really, not in a serious sense. I like to play and tease while during competitive things. Whenever I use to play video games as a child my friends hated that I would goofingly tease them to the point of making them mess up. Perhaps I like being a goof ball more and competitive scenes make that really easy?