• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFs and (lack of) sense of direction

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
Do any other NFs out there find themselves constantly mixing up where places are and getting lost? I have been wondering about this after having conversations with three other NFs in my close family.

convo #1
Me: So how was your day?
My mum (ENFJ): Well, I got so lost, first I tried... etc.

convo #2
My cousin B (also ENFJ): So, where is your sister then?
Me: Dundee, with her boyfriend
Cousin B: What?! Dundee in Paris??!!

convo #3 (and truly, this is the best)
Me: Guess what, cousin B thought Dundee was in Paris!
My sister (ENFP): ... Isn't it in australia?
Me: It's where you were this weekend, hun.
Sister: But I thought...
My dad (ESTJ, with an actual sense of direction): That's Crocodile Dundee. :coffee:

Thoughts on this issue? :D

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I have a terrible sense of direction. I schedule 20-30 minutes to drive around lost whenever I go somewhere new.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I oscillate between, :BangHead: :party: :run:

So yeah, to answer your question, I am chalk full of direction. :rolli:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
LOL, I am a space cadet, I thought you meant something else!!!

I actually have a decent, a very decent, sense of *geographical* direction.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Am I the only NF with an actual sense of direction?

I may not know the names of places or streets, but I never really get lost. At times I'll just drive aimlessly turning at whim when I reach an intersection and always know roughly where I am and how to get back.

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
LOL, I am a space cadet, I thought you meant something else!!!

I actually have a decent, a very decent, sense of *geographical* direction.

I may not know the names of places or streets, but I never really get lost. At times I'll just drive aimlessly turning at whim when I reach an intersection and always know roughly where I am and how to get back.

Ack. Now I can't blame my inability to draw a map of where my house is in relation to my friends houses (all in one village...) today on my personality type. Pooey. xD

Alchemist

MBTI Type
INFJ
My sense of direction is pretty solid outdoors, but when it comes to large buildings, I generally need a map or ask for directions. I think as long as you can picture a map in your head, and know which way north is, you'll be able to find your way anywhere.

-A

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have an excellent sense of direction I'm usually chosen to be the navigator. I also did well in geography, though I've forgotten most of it since I hadn't had that class since I was 12. I think I have internal GPS because even if I've only been someplace once I can find it again or just know where I am in relation to some landmark even if I'm not looking at it.

Atomic Fiend

Once I drove about, a rough guess, twenty miles in the opposite direction of where I was supposed to go.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think this has anything to do with type... The human mind has only been used to the concept of big city street networks and such for a very brief time, and some brains are better att processing large-scale information. I suck at navigating through cities, but drop me off anywhere in alaska and i'll bloody well find my way to anywhere on the continent. :)

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
Once I drove about, a rough guess, twenty miles in the opposite direction of where I was supposed to go.

My mum can beat that. A couple of years ago we were travelling around the US in a camper van and she was navigating... to be fair, she did get us on the right road, it's just a shame we were driving down it in the wrong direction for over 3 hours. :doh: xD

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I love maps and and better at following them than verbal or written directions, but I have trouble with left and right (Don tells me "Your other left" and calls me his little Ninevite) and I often miss turns.

When other people's children are with us, they will sometimes wonder where we are and my kids will say with complete calmness "Oh, Mom's just lost again." They know I will get us there eventually.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

No you're not the only one. I've got a great sense of direction, but I don't do maps very well. I can find my way anywhere as long as I'm not lost in a forest full of identical pine trees and weeping willows. I look for landmarks, which is what women are more likely to do anyways.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I love maps and and better at following them than verbal or written directions, but I have trouble with left and right (Don tells me "Your other left" and calls me his little Ninevite) and I often miss turns.

I don't get this reference (and even looked it up).

When other people's children are with us, they will sometimes wonder where we are and my kids will say with complete calmness "Oh, Mom's just lost again." They know I will get us there eventually.

I used to tell my kids we were on an adventure, but eventually they figured out that meant I took a wrong turn. :D

My lefty INTP is much better with maps than I am. I'm better with verbal or written directions.

Jae Rae

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Nope, I'm the same way!! I can't say I've ever gotten lost. Even if I take a wrong turn, I know roughly where I am.

[Sidenote: When I read only the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about Life Direction (ha!!)...which would have been an entirely different answer!! :)]

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Jae Rae, it comes from the last verse in Jonah (at least in the KJV).
Jonah 4:11 And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?
My husband's a silly guy with a degree in Biblical studies. :rolleyes:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I navigate using landmarks... which does not work very well in a city with grid-like layout of streets nor inside buildings with hallways all looking the same.

I guess I'm too visual... that leads me to recall landmarks better than street names. And so I've never learnt to see the system of city streets as a whole.

That leads to a poor sense of direction despite my having excellent visual spatial abilities. :mellow:

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
I more or less use landmarks as well. Tho I can use names of stores etc as landmarks. Street names I'm useless with, I can't even remember my old address.. Only use maps or my GPS when I'm going somewhere I haven't been before.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
I have a full since of direction and where things are going expect for my life. *cries*

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Jae Rae, it comes from the last verse in Jonah (at least in the KJV).

My husband's a silly guy with a degree in Biblical studies. :rolleyes:

He sounds adorable. ;)

I have a friend who's a Ninevite. She gives directions by pointing.

Jae Rae