• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP Enneagram 4 vs 9 vs 2 vs 5

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The two most common Enneagram for INFP seem to be 4 and 9. Other common ones are 2 and 5. How do you see these as being different?

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
I don't have any deep analysis or warrants, but it seems to me that the INFP 5 I know is much more aware of 'how things work' in the world than others. Also, when in interpersonal conflicts he tends to stay poised outwardly but collapse inwardly, ultimately marking himself as wrong and the other person right. I catch that quite often.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
I dunno the Egram thingy too well, but I am a 4 and I am a brooding emo who just wants to be a unique little butterfly that makes art. World peace can take care of itself. I have pictures to paint and wrists to slice okay?

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I've considered all of those as a possibility for myself at one time...

As somoene else pointed out to me, 9s are more positive and optimistic and they don't have an appreciation for the darker side of emotion (which is why I excluded that for myself). An INFP 9 is probbaly pretty close the positive idealist stereotype of INFPs in many descriptions.

INFP 4s are by their nature unique, so its hard to stereotype them :) Those of us that feel "were a little bit of this and a little bit of that", well thats actually accounted for in the 4s individuality, so if you feel that way, there is a good chance you are might be a 4.

INFP 5s would be more focused on knowledge and probably better at academics. INFP 5s are probably very likely to mis-type as INTPs and outside of personal realtionships, they would be very easy to confuse with thinking types - the same goes for those with a strong 5 wing of either 4s or 6s.

INFP 2s are actually not common from what I've seen. I ocasioanly think I have some very strong 2 preferences, but not enough to say that 2 is more probable than 4 for me. Since I have not seen an INFP 2 (and for that matter don't think I've even seen other INFPs that have even given serious cosnideration to being a 2) this is all just my theoretical guessing based on myself. Those of us INFPs that might be an Enneagram 2 probably have a good chance of strongly identifying with (and possibly mis-typing as) INFJ and ISFJ types and we will have a lot of common characteristics with them regarding things like taking other peoples wants and needs into consideration above our own. Unlike an extrovert 2 (the most common case for them), we would probably look for ways to help others and contribute behind the scenes and and to help others 1:1.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4s are the most emotional, 9s are calmer / less intense, 5s are weirder or more detached, then 6s are more anxious / neurotic (while still emotional, just more influenced by anxiety than others), then the next most common is probably 1-- 1s are colder, more self-controlled like INFJs... then maybe 2 & 7, who would both be more toward extroversion than the usual.

Personally I'm pretty midway b/t 4 & 5, but my ultimate priorities are in the 4 zone... i'm on that originaliyty shit.

G

Ginkgo

INFP 4s are by their nature unique, so its hard to stereotype them :) Those of us that feel "were a little bit of this and a little bit of that", well thats actually accounted for in the 4s individuality, so if you feel that way, there is a good chance you are might be a 4.

I would argue that INFP 9s are probably more likely to feel a bit of this and a bit of that, as 9s are typically the hardest to type for that very reason. However, 4s probably introspect in a way that they can find parts of themselves that resemble many of the types. You are on to something.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sometimes I test higher on 4 and sometimes I test higher on 5. The next highest is "6". Probably 9 is my fourth highest.

A few people have said I am 9 based on my reactions here. Yet, I watched a video where 9's described themselves as meshed with a group and unaware of their own feelings, and I'm definitely not that!!

In high school, before I knew about any typology or enneagram, I did get hospitalized for depression...after slicing my wrist...and after the hospital, I did rearrange my schedule to take art.

Though that is a fact, and though I consider myself very unique and strange, I did major in biology in college, which would suggest En 5.

I saw somewhere that Tim Burton was 5w4, and they can have a sort of dark humor or dark eccentricity, and I identify with that.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would argue that INFP 9s are probably more likely to feel a bit of this and a bit of that, as 9s are typically the hardest to type for that very reason. However, 4s probably introspect in a way that they can find parts of themselves that resemble many of the types. You are on to something.

Your observation may be more accurate than mine, but I was able to find the description that I based my statement on - this is the part of the Four description that I really relate to and I don't think I've seen that wording in other books or descriptions.

Wisdom of the Enneagram - page 181 said:
In the course of their lives, Fours may try several different identities on for size, basing them on styles, preferences, or qualities they find attractive in others. But underneath the surface, they still feel uncertain about who they really are. The problem is that they base their identity largly on their feelings. When Fours look inward, they see a kaleidoscopic, ever-shifting pattern of emotional reactions. Indeed, Fours accurately percieve a truth about human nature - that it is dynamic and ever changing. But because they want to create a stable, reliable identity from their emotions, they attempt to cultivate only certain feelings while rejecting others. Some feelings are seen as "me" while others are "not me." By attempting to hold on to and express specific moods, Fours believe that they are being true to themselve.

An INFP Four is probably the most emotion oriented of the possibilities, and that may be a better way to distinguish them, but being INFPs, the emotion is for the most part kept inside (until we feel the need to express it - and in the case of a Four, that expression has a good chance of being being through art of some kind (the more artistic the individual, the more liekly that probably is - I'm not that artistic, but I still try to express my feelings through poetry ocasionaly)), so it may be difficult to type someone as an INFP Four if you don't know them well enough to get an idea of their inner thoughts and feelings.

I also found a passage from the description of Nines that supports your point as well

Wisdom of the Enneagram - page 316 said:
We have sometimes called the Nice the crown of the Enneagram because it is at teh top of the symbol and because it seems to include the whole of it. Nices can have the strength of Eights, the sense of fun and adventure of Sevens, the dutifulness of Sixes, the intellectualism of Fives, the creativite of Fours, the attractiveness of Threes, the generosity of Twos, and the idealism of Ones. However, what they generally do not have is the sene of really inhabiting themselves - a strong sense of their own identity.
In both descriptions, we see a uncertainty about the self for both Fours and Nines.

Here is a point of comparrison/contrast between Nines and Fours...
Wisdom of the Enneagram - page 317 said:
... For example, Fours focus on their own woundedness and victimization, Ones on what is wrong with how things are, and so forth. By contrast, Nines tend to focus on the bright side of life so that their peace of mind will not be shaken. ...

That statemen is why I say that INFP Nines seem to match the more optimistic and idealistic INFP stereotypes.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a 5, I don't like not knowing what makes things tick. I'm still moody with all the trappings of infp-Dom, but as a good friend once said inspite of the tendency for spiritualism and mysticism, I'm a scientist to the core. I think 5's tend to be slightly more pragmatic. I don't know for sure. It's quite likely the other INFP's I've met we're fives also, all of them being scientists as well. I type INTP more often than not.
It's hard for me to judge, compared with the NT and ST's at work I'm an emotional tempest. However friends outside of work say I'm pretty unflappable. I'm not in my twenties so life experience has to do with that, and no one will die if my car breaks down ( theoretically ). Some one might if I screw up at work.
Also, I can come across as super intellectual and very serious.....until I say some thing humorous. And laugh. I'm also optimistic nilhest.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP 2s are actually not common from what I've seen. I ocasioanly think I have some very strong 2 preferences, but not enough to say that 2 is more probable than 4 for me. Since I have not seen an INFP 2 (and for that matter don't think I've even seen other INFPs that have even given serious cosnideration to being a 2) this is all just my theoretical guessing based on myself. Those of us INFPs that might be an Enneagram 2 probably have a good chance of strongly identifying with (and possibly mis-typing as) INFJ and ISFJ types and we will have a lot of common characteristics with them regarding things like taking other peoples wants and needs into consideration above our own. Unlike an extrovert 2 (the most common case for them), we would probably look for ways to help others and contribute behind the scenes and and to help others 1:1.

Data comes from here:

enneagrammbticorrelation.jpg

http://webspace.webring.com/people/cl/lifexplore/typecorr.htm