• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] Killing Spiders (And Other Insects)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Once I let a particularly interesting looking spider live in the corner of my bathroom sink and go about its business for over two months. This was more of a function of P than F. Then I sqashed it.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Once I let a particularly interesting looking spider live in the corner of my bathroom sink and go about its business for over two months. This was more of a function of P than F. Then I sqashed it.

EVOL!

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh yes. There are so many variables to consider before attempting to murder the insect in question. The angle of the strike, the amount of pressure applied, the speed in which you strike, the lighting, position of the insect, where it will fall, carrying utensils for the deceased, checking if it has family members that will avenge it's death.

This gets worse when it is a jumping spider.

Wait, a jumping spider? You aren't supposed to kill those cute little things.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
4738227479_2fc25b34b3.jpg

"But.. why does Dee kill me?"

N

NPcomplete

My first instinct is to trap the insect and release it outside. If I can't do that then I channel my inner killing machine. :dalek:

:ninja:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No. I posted about this once in my blog once even... when bugs/spiders dare to venture into my lair, then they pay the consequences. I have no sympathy for these intruders. They should know the laws of nature!

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Organisms frequently destroy other organisms for purpose. Arbitrary killings are also very frequent in nature.

F

figsfiggyfigs

"But.. why does Dee kill me?"[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://gcrec.ifas.ufl.edu/vtgcrec/pages/Spiders/GCREC-JumpingSpiderFe2-1a.JPG

To be fair, it was difficult to find a creepy non-close-up of a Jumping Spider. They are pretty cute looking when you forget they're venomous little shits. I even said "aww" a few times; something I'm ashamed to admit.

A

Anew Leaf

Oh god, I feel that way too. Sometimes it takes so long for me to prepare to kill it that it just leaves.

LOL!

One time in college I was living in an old house with a bunch of roommates. Me and the other INFP were left alone when we discovered that there was a giant spider on the ceiling. We argued for two hours over who should kill it (my argument was: dude, you're the boy! his was: fuck that!) and we concocted all sorts of various contraptions with brooms, etc. Finally our ENTP roomie came home, got a chair and smashed it with his hand. Then he chased me around the house trying to touch me with his spider gut hand. :sick:

I don't know what the point of that story was other than: he/she who hesitates, may find that their mission is carried out by somebody with no morals.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a biologist and farmer. Biologists kill things.

Spiders don't really bother me. I live and let live. If I'm startled, I can be scared, but if I see it's a non-poisonous spider or snake or whatever, I not bothered. If a non-poisonous spider gets on me, I think: "Ah, how cute! I have a new friend." I feel sad when it leaves my shoulder.

Also, ladies, I provide spider removal or extermination services for you.

Anyway, much of my jobs as a biologist have involved some form of death. As a catfish farmer, I sent maybe 100,000 fish to their death every day. At the gardens, I was the primary exterminator for the 65 acres on display as well as the greenhouses. I'm probably killed billions of insects. I sprayed vast amounts of vegetation with a huge motorized spray rig. You think, "Oooooh, pretty flowers!" Well...

On my current job, predatory insects eat the baby fish when they first hatch. I kill predators. I kill fish disease organisms. To keep baby fish alive is very hard work. Some insects (air breathers) are killed by spreading diesel over the pond. Some other insects like dragonfly larvae are killed with pesticides. If you time it wrong, then the action with also either kill the baby fish or their food. Sometimes you have to do it anyway and pump food back from a different pond.

So getting back to the original issue, I guess I have a lot of Janist or Buddhist guilt, but I've been through "the change" where I can do whatever is necessary.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a biologist and farmer. Biologists kill things.

Spiders don't really bother me. I live and let live. If I'm startled, I can be scared, but if I see it's a non-poisonous spider or snake or whatever, I not bothered. If a non-poisonous spider gets on me, I think: "Ah, how cute! I have a new friend." I feel sad when it leaves my shoulder.

Also, ladies, I provide spider removal or extermination services for you.

Anyway, much of my jobs as a biologist have involved some form of death. As a catfish farmer, I sent maybe 100,000 fish to their death every day. At the gardens, I was the primary exterminator for the 65 acres on display as well as the greenhouses. I'm probably killed billions of insects. I sprayed vast amounts of vegetation with a huge motorized spray rig. You think, "Oooooh, pretty flowers!" Well...

On my current job, predatory insects eat the baby fish when they first hatch. I kill predators. I kill fish disease organisms. To keep baby fish alive is very hard work. Some insects (air breathers) are killed by spreading diesel over the pond. Some other insects like dragonfly larvae are killed with pesticides. If you time it wrong, then the action with also either kill the baby fish or their food. Sometimes you have to do it anyway and pump food back from a different pond.

So getting back to the original issue, I guess I have a lot of Janist or Buddhist guilt, but I've been through "the change" where I can do whatever is necessary.

Other than not wanting to be a vegetarian again, I'm seriously considering looking into Janism...

StarsPer

MBTI Type
INFJ
Caring is not a problem. Does it really seem that way to you?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't kill spiders out of principle (would be different if we had poisonous ones around here) and don't generally kill bugs because it's less gross to avoid them than it is to clean up bug guts. If it's something really freaky I might trap it and throw it outside, but usually I just ignore them.

obsessing over one you killed years ago sounds insane to me, but I suppose it's just a super-extreme form of veganism. If you're not vegan, it is pretty weird. but sometimes minds are weird like that, I guess.

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
i don't have this issue to the same extent that the author of the original post has mentioned, but i can relate to this.

there is (or was) a folk belief in at least some areas of russia that killing a house spider is wrong, and it has always resonated with me. i feel it is wrong too, somehow. i think this might be connected to a memory from my earlier childhood (one of the very few that i have) - i remember being in the forest with my grandfather, to whom i was very close, and playing in a small natural sandpit where the roots of some pine trees came to the surface and were suspended a few inches above the country road. i would dig the sand with a little spade or just sift it through my fingers and feel its texture. there were quite a few daddy-long-legs living there and occasionally they would scurry out once i disturbed the sand. my grandfather used to take them into his hands and tell me that they were beautiful beings, with those long delicate legs of theirs; his entire face would light up as he said this, and he handled them immense care (he was a radiant, genuinely loving person).

i'm nothing like him, but i want to be and i think this memory might be the reason why i feel bad about killing spiders or spider-like creatures in particular. if i see a house spider at a place where it might give me an unpleasant surprise (i have been phobic of spiders until fairly recently and some remnants of the old feeling surface from time to time), or where my cats could kill it, i transfer it onto a slip of paper and to some remote corner. i try to save the butterflies or moths that find themselves in the apartment by mistake - if i can catch them without the risk of rubbing the dust/scales off their wings, i do so, or i open the window as wide as possible and hope they find their way out before my cats discover them. i won't step on a beetle if i see one crawling underfoot.

it is difficult to explain. i am far from being a vegan (tried to be a non-vegan vegetarian in my mid-teens, failed miserably, not going to go there again), i feel no guilt about eating meat, i wear leather and the fur of animals whose meat i would have eaten if it were available and/or affordable, such as rabbits. i'm fine with people who hunt, though i would not have done this myself - yes, i buy my food at a store and have someone kill animals for me, whereas they obtain their food directly and kill their own animals, but i see no great difference between those two choices. and i don't really mind my cats killing small animals on the whole because this is what they are supposed to do as predators, regardless of whether or not it makes humans uncomfortable. that said, i still do not like killing insects. i simply do not.

i think one other reason could be that i find them thoroughly fascinating. i can stare at their photos for hours (could stare at live ones too, but they are not going to pose for me :) ). so i guess it feels wrong to destroy one of those pieces of god's handiwork that are so intricately structured, awe-inspiring and intensely other. i wouldn't know how to explain it otherwise.

S

SingSmileShine

I can't kill a bug at all. My conscience would eat me alive! I simply can't do it.

There are frequently stinkbugs on my curtains, and I don't have a problem getting out of bed, no matter how comfortable I am, to go into the bathroom, get toilet paper, wrap it up, go downstairs, and let it free outside.

Would you want to be killed by a human if you were just a little bug? ):