• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs and Single-Mindedness

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
The description is fitting... I see myself unconsciously doing all of the above if I don't stop myself in time. :blush:

I believe all of those problematic traits are due to a too rigid Fe. The sense that we have to do everything right and solve all the problems in the world :rolli:

Stubborn single-mindedness in defending our beliefs and values and in making those into reality.

Sometimes I wonder if we have a screw loose in our heads... for attempting to achieve the near impossibility by acting as the pivotal point... nudging/influencing/manipulating (*gasps*:ohmy: ) people around us. What might take the society lifetimes to accomplish (if it can even manage it), we think we can do it ourselves in one morning and still come back in time for tea. All in a day's work. Haha!

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
Would you consider INFJs to generally be earnest, unshakable, stubborn, single-minded, unyielding, and defensive?
I don't know about all INFJs, but I think that describes my innate disposition pretty well. I try to be aware of these and not let them influence me in a negative way, but that takes a conscious effort.

Motor Jax

MBTI Type
INFJ
i would say yes to the above

once i've had my mind set, it is set until completion

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Would you consider INFJs to generally be earnest, unshakable, stubborn, single-minded, unyielding, and defensive?

Based on the three people I know well in real life who type as INFJ (my partner, my sister, and a former coworker), I would say no, they generally do not express in such a manner.

cheers,
Ian

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on the three people I know well in real life who type as INFJ (my partner, my sister, and a former coworker), I would say no, they generally do not express in such a manner.

cheers,
Ian

then what would you say about them ?

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
As individuals, each expresses in an individual way. That said, I thought for a bit about what I perceive in their expression that is common.

• each of them displays a remarkable ability and willingness as it concerns self-disclosure
  • each of them has thought long on, and maintains a set of values, but they concern their own choices as opposed to being used to morally judge others
  • each of them presents with a pleasant, if reserved, demeanor at work - and this is genuine, not a facade
  • each has a deep sense of empathy, and are concerned for the well-being of others
  • each have expressed upset and sense of injustice when they have perceived unequal treatment based on skin color
  • each tends to do things in a manner that gets them done, but does not suffer the paralysis and worry of doing them in accordance with an external standard of "rightness"
  • each have expressed and acted with a strong sense of duty as it concerns their commitments
  • each have demonstrated an ample openmindedness as it concern's others' experience and differing values and meanings

I'm sure there are others.

cheers,
Ian

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you Ian

batumi

MBTI Type
infj
Have you seen or read Into The Wild?
I have long believed that Alex was an INFJ and am interested in other opinions...

Goodewitch

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I very much agree with first post.
I dont know how many times in my life i've nailed myself to the cross of my own convictions, and hung there, without relenting, nor giving way.
Its given me cause for regrets, heart break, alienation from those I've loved in some cases,.. and all usually over what may seem unimportant differing views on principles or morality.
I cant be any other way.
I can fake being tolerant of others and their own morality, (or lack of it)
Fe seems to be helpful in me keeping my opinions and principles to myself for the most part,.. but when people get close to me, they'll see how unyeilding i really am,.. and how defensive and annoyed i can be when i feel my values are being dismissed, or attacked.
I DO take it personally, cant help myself,.. though usually, later, when Ive calmed down, Im more able to see their point of view too, even if I disagree with it.
Once Im in defensive mode, its best for both parties to pack away , leave and come back later when both have calmed down.. but my Jness and need for resolution makes it difficult to walk away.
All this confronatation upsets me greatly, but still,... I carry on arguing into infinity... and beyond.
G. x

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
I just got my new book, "Just Your Type, Create the Relationship You've Always Wanted Using the Secrets of Personality Type." I'm pretty impressed with it and recommend it to anyone who would like some greater insight into their own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to relationships with other types or even just a good review of type theory.

I was especially intrigued by some of the comments made in the INFJ profile about our greatest alleged asset/fault.

Nope, doesn't sound like me one bit. :whistling:

Absolutely. Stubborn, unyielding, defensive, unshakable describe my more negative traits that people dislike. Because of those traits I also get labeled arrogant and elitist at times.

Hotherym

MBTI Type
INFU
Ugh, is it so wrong to value these often ill perceived parts of yourself? I mean, aside from becoming defensive, maybe; I often get told I'm being defensive and manipulative when I'm simply standing by my perceptions, especially those insights I have that challenge the beliefs or ideals of others. I know it's very arrogant sounding, but it's so rare I'm wrong. Whatever the case, it seems to scare the hell out of people, who then start throwing accusations at me until I either crumble or walk away. Personally, I deeply value conflicting intuition from other NJs, particularly the NFJs.

I definitely get called pompous, and I absolutely require closure, which pisses almost everyone off. :D