• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Feeling needs for affirmation

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
It's important to have affirmation from people who matter; people who don't can go to hell.

Lark

It's important to have affirmation from people who matter; people who don't can go to hell.

I've gone back and forth in my head about the importance of this or what it means and why it might matter, like I've read a lot about how people should have a personal and professional support group, some people talk about keeping the two separate, some about how that isnt so important and you should just be networked or friends with everyone if you can.

I'm not sure if support involves affirmation though, it could depend on what affirmation means, is it encouragement? Is it affection and what is meant by affection anyway? Is it a good thing or is it a negative thing like when Karen Horney wrote about the "neurotic need for affection" which I think most people bear the social stamp of at least, or is support something else possible without affirmation?

Also if affirmation is like those little feel good, everyone is as unique as a snowflake sort of phrases on a calendar thing then it seems kind of stupid to me. :mellow:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I basically assume in most relationships that I would not be a big loss to the other person. So I need regular affirmations to let me know that's not the case.

I realize that some other people think if they say something once, that's enough, but it's not - not for me, personally. Probably a combination of different love languages and my own insecurity.

To me it means genuine support through just being there. I don’t need or want bs feel good sap pumped at me. Just be there and if you know me well, you’ll know what helps and when to offer it. I’ve spent years without much support before though so it doesn’t take too much effort.

Greed

#1 thot
perhaps it might be better to find a way to not need people to begin with. that way, interactions with others are unexpected little pleasantries.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
perhaps it might be better to find a way to not need people to begin with. that way, interactions with others are unexpected little pleasantries.

Perhaps that is not a natural human inclination. People are social creatures. We need interaction.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
used to as a kid but not anymore. If someone decides they do not like me before getting to know me I just write them off as "Bullet dodged." anyone who makes such quick and absolute judgements n such a short amount of time is not someone I'd ever want to be friends with.