• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NP issue with routine and boredom

Nakawaka

MBTI Type
free
I noticed that I have a knack of starting new things with absolute enthusiasm and then getting bored/stressed lacking motivation to actually carry on the idea to reality. I have always blamed my failure of quitting out projects to lack of dedication/diligence in general. Maybe it's best if I go at multiple projects but do different ones in a single day setting at different times/orders and then review my progress on weekly basis? I'm kinda worried I can't even stay committed to the idea itself and just go back to procrastinating.

How do you guys motivate yourselves?

letsplaytwister

I never really had this problem, and I'm INFP. I mean, every once in a while I'll scrap a project if I feel I have a decent reason to, but I'm pretty good at bringing creative projects to fruition. That's not to say it's always easy, but I always remind myself about how great I'll feel when the end product is done. It's also gotten easier as I've gotten older, being less prone to perfectionism and whatnot.

I have an ENFP friend who has this problem in spades though. Great idea guy, TERRIBLE follow-through. Most of my other creative NFP friends are somewhere in between myself and my friend when it comes to follow-through.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm interested in the results of this thread...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't know I'm not even motivated to get excited about things, but if anyone has suggestions i'd love to hear them.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah this happens to me. I can get productive when I arrange my projects so that I only have one within a 'domain' of excitement. If I'm in a electronic hobbiest mode I work on my high security crunk candy jar, if I'm in an art mode I work my drawing, if I'm in a music mode I work on my flute playing. The theory is I'll just cycle around the same stuff and it'll be near the equivalent of focusing on one thing for a long time.

N

NPcomplete

Yeah this happens to me. I can get productive when I arrange my projects so that I only have one within a 'domain' of excitement. If I'm in a electronic hobbiest mode I work on my high security crunk candy jar, if I'm in an art mode I work my drawing, if I'm in a music mode I work on my flute playing. The theory is I'll just cycle around the same stuff and it'll be near the equivalent of focusing on one thing for a long time.

I use a somewhat similar strategy. This way, even if I want to procrastinate, I'll be procrastinating while still doing something productive. It hasn't failed yet.

It might also be a good idea to look at why you find them boring. I usually find projects boring when they get stagnant or when others try to control their execution excessively. So brainstorming and bringing some pizzazz back into it could potentially be beneficial.

Good luck! :)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm very goal motivated, so if there's a goal I can do pretty much of anything even how boring it is. But without a goal boring routines kill me mentally. So, I (try to) avoid all routines that don't involve somekind of goal.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I'm doing something for someone else, that nearly always gives me the motivation to follow through on it, but when I'm just doing something for myself, then I only continue as long as it remains interesting to me. If I can envision the final result and its something I really want, that can also motivate me to continue once I reach the boring parts of implimentation.

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You N(F)Ps are not alone. SPs are prone to leaving projects behind as well.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I pretty much just don't do what I lost interest for. Good plan eh?

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly. Something similar has been part of several MBTI tests.

Flux

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Routines really bore me and they seem to suck the life and fun out of an activity I would usually like. Jail or the army would be like death for me. I'm productive in the sense that I am always doing something so I'm never really bored. I hang out with friends whenever I can and then do my own thing when they have to leave. I hate deadlines and schedules -- they stress me out and I don't feel free. Mainly, I get all my work done by saying to myself, "Look you have nothing else to do right now so why not do this thing you have to do anyway?" This doesn't always work but I know that later I will get to have fun and do what I want. Hope this helps -- I'm in college so I'm not sure if how much this applies directly to you.

However, I still have a workout routine. I stick with it and I am motivated because I have a lot of energy to spend. It keeps me from getting stressed out and it's great to see all the progress you make. You can always look to the future, it always makes me determined to do better than I did before. Also, it makes you look good too :wink:

A

Anew Leaf

I think it's a P thang.

I LOVE starting new projects. I am pumped, energized, enthused, ready to build rome in a day, etc. Then................. about a quarter of the way through the collapse begins. At first it's just a crack in the foundation and then when I hit about 75% complete it begins to domino outwards.

I usually stop the project when I am at the 90-99% range.

"Art is never finished, only abandoned".... yeah... that.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I noticed that I have a knack of starting new things with absolute enthusiasm and then getting bored/stressed lacking motivation to actually carry on the idea to reality. I have always blamed my failure of quitting out projects to lack of dedication/diligence in general. Maybe it's best if I go at multiple projects but do different ones in a single day setting at different times/orders and then review my progress on weekly basis? I'm kinda worried I can't even stay committed to the idea itself and just go back to procrastinating.

How do you guys motivate yourselves?

Appreciating the experience of getting things done. And indulging in the effects of growth, that the experience can give you psychologically. I live for pleasure, so its just a matter of tweaking my perspective of how I experience things/situations, every once in a while.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I admit, I'm easily discouraged when I hit large snags. I have to keep reminding myself to 'enjoy the process'. It's become a mantra. :newwink:

I think you can learn techniques to combat these things. What's helped me is just 'doing' things in general ('S' activities), not just limited to one focus. Cooking, exercise, walking around the city, etc. Force yourself to be more 'in the world' in general, and less in your head.

Baby steps!