• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Is this an INFJ thing?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Question -

I tend to take forever to try new things in the medicine/beauty products realm. For instance, I bought teeth whitener and it literally sat on my sink a year before I finally tried it on my teeth. I've had the same thing happen to different vitamins, medicine, hair dye, and stuff like that.

Is that an INFJ thing? What is it?

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Could be INFJ inferior Se. You take a long time to assimilate new information.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
My problem is wantng to try new products before using up the old ones. I think I've tried every kind of drugstore foundation there is and have a whole drawerful of barely used makeup that is not quite right for me.

typologywhore

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Question -

I tend to take forever to try new things in the medicine/beauty products realm. For instance, I bought teeth whitener and it literally sat on my sink a year before I finally tried it on my teeth. I've had the same thing happen to different vitamins, medicine, hair dye, and stuff like that.

Is that an INFJ thing? What is it?

Same with me, totally! I have to introduce new products/regimes etc very...slowly...indeed (or, if it's a one off thing like hair-dye, plan it weeks in advance), or Se goes all crazy and like "AAA WTF IS THIS I CAN'T COPE WITH THIS D:" and runs away and hides under a rock, and I just end up kinda panicking and chucking in the new thing and liek half my established routine as well. -rolls eyes at self-

Pfft, being INFJ. So weird.

LOL.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm...I dunno. If I want to do something, it's done. I hate being on the fence; even walking in the middle of a road, sidewalk, or hallway really bothers me. I feel the need to make a decision. So if I think, "Hey, I'm kinda bored with my hair color," the idea typically doesn't simmer for longer than a week before I've acted on it.

I guess, for the most part, I do avoid new products. I generally don't buy them unless I'm developing a new look or something's not working. My makeup supplies fit into a tiny zip-lock bag, anyway. I've never gone overboard with cosmetics and actually find their application to be something of a chore. (I guess I use them because I'm insecure about my appearance, not because I find it fun.) If I do have something new, though, I'll want to try it right away so that I can decide whether to use it or get rid of it and move on.

Do you guys tend to have cluttered bathrooms?

typologywhore

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess, for the most part, I do avoid new products. I generally don't buy them unless I'm developing a new look or something's not working. My makeup supplies fit into a tiny zip-lock bag, anyway. I've never gone overboard with cosmetics and actually find their application to be something of a chore. (I guess I use them because I'm insecure about my appearance, not because I find it fun.) If I do have something new, though, I'll want to try it right away so that I can decide whether to use it or get rid of it and move on.

Do you guys tend to have cluttered bathrooms?

I'm similar - I don't have many beauty products, kinda "the bare minimum" to keep me looking how I want to look, I guess. I rarely try out different brands of stuff much; I find all the choice and seemingly-endless product variations overwhelming, discomfiting even.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yeah, I have always found the "shower, makeup, hair" routine to be a boring but necessary chore. It's like - let's get this over and get on with real life.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don’t bring new things home and never use them, but I do have an aversion to bringing new things home. I get nonplussed when one of the few products I do use gets discontinued and I have to find a new one. This seems to happen with eyeliner a lot, not many manufacturers make the same eyeliner for many years in a row. It almost feels like- by the time I get used to the new one, it gets discontinued. So I have a habit of getting several (of the exact same thing) when I find one I like.

I remember several years ago when I was on a quest for new shoes- I dragged my ENP around for two weeks to every shoe store I could think of. I hate shopping, but I consider my boots quite possibly the most important thing I wear. So after a couple of weeks of trying on countless boots, I finally found a pair I really liked. I can still remember my ENP, right there in the store, yelled “BUT THEY’RE THE EXACT SAME BOOTS YOU ALREADY HAVE.” He was totally right, and I wouldn’t have noticed it if he didn’t point it out. I mean I guess what made it so funny is that he’d been asking “Well what are you looking for?” over and over again, because he was getting sick of me not liking anything. And I was all, “I don’t know, but I’ll know it when I see it.”

So yeah, I just don’t like change. I do the same thing- stock up on something I like- when it comes to tea or shampoo or some such, as well.

Another peculiar habit- this is something my irl INFJ friend and I have in common- is to save the last trace amounts of something if it's been discontinued or become hard to find. I have two kinds of rose tea in my kitchen that are almost empty, but I refuse to use the last of it until I know I can get more. I have no idea what that's about.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don’t bring new things home and never use them, but I do have an aversion to bringing new things home. I get nonplussed when one of the few products I do use gets discontinued and I have to find a new one. This seems to happen with eyeliner a lot, not many manufacturers make the same eyeliner for many years in a row. It almost feels like- by the time I get used to the new one, it gets discontinued. So I have a habit of getting several (of the exact same thing) when I find one I like.

I remember several years ago when I was on a quest for new shoes- I dragged my ENP around for two weeks to every shoe store I could think of. I hate shopping, but I consider my boots quite possibly the most important thing I wear. So after a couple of weeks of trying on countless boots, I finally found a pair I really liked. I can still remember my ENP, right there in the store, yelled “BUT THEY’RE THE EXACT SAME BOOTS YOU ALREADY HAVE.” He was totally right, and I wouldn’t have noticed it if he didn’t point it out. I mean I guess what made it so funny is that he’d been asking “Well what are you looking for?” over and over again, because he was getting sick of me not liking anything. And I was all, “I don’t know, but I’ll know it when I see it.”

So yeah, I just don’t like change. I do the same thing- stock up on something I like- when it comes to tea or shampoo or some such, as well.

Another peculiar habit- this is something my irl INFJ friend and I have in common- is to save the last trace amounts of something if it's been discontinued or become hard to find. I have two kinds of rose tea in my kitchen that are almost empty, but I refuse to use the last of it until I know I can get more. I have no idea what that's about.

That last part reminds me of the "spongeworthy" Seinfeld episode. I can totally relate to that.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
It's interesting that as an INFJ, we are really open to new ideas, but really closed to new "things."

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Haha, yes! I totally do that, too, only with my favorite perfume. Even though it's a pretty well-known name, the specific scent isn't easy to come by, for some reason. It's always the least often in stock, and only two retailers tend to carry it (that I've noticed). So I'll use my other perfumes to preserve what I have left of my favorite, until I can finally buy a new bottle. It's just so me that I can't imagine any other scent being me.

The boots, too. I'm on my third pair of the same exact boots I use for everyday wear. When they eventually fall apart beyond repair, you can bet I'll buy a fourth. :D

It's interesting that as an INFJ, we are really open to new ideas, but really closed to new "things."

Do you think it's because of the N and J functions working together?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I save the last of things, too, just in case they might be, you know, the very last of the last. And then there wouldn't be anymore. I guess we'd rather have our cake?

I try new things pretty often in the search for the ideal, but when I find something I really like, I buy it in every color, or I buy backups. I don't let things sit around before I try them. I usually have several of any one thing open and being used at one time, with one of them in high rotation at the moment and the rest not current favorites but rediscovered as I go through my stash with either renewed appreciation or they get thrown out.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I save the last of things, too, just in case they might be, you know, the very last of the last. And then there wouldn't be anymore. I guess we'd rather have our cake?

I try new things pretty often in the search for the ideal, but when I find something I really like, I buy it in every color, or I buy backups. I don't let things sit around before I try them. I usually have several of any one thing open and being used at one time, with one of them in high rotation at the moment and the rest not current favorites but rediscovered as I go through my stash with either renewed appreciation or they get thrown out.

Same!

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a bit of a collection agency going on with lipgloss, lipstick, and various shades of nail polish. I like a variety of colors at my disposal. I've been searching for the perfect shade of lipgloss/lipstick that blends in well with my natural lip color, and when I get it in the store, it looks alright, but then I bring it home, and then it ends up looking either too red, too dark, or not the right color hue. I still have lipstick hanging around that I really like, and I've babied using it because I just can't find that color in the store anymore.

redacted

Uh, seems too specific to be a type thing.

Can't say I've had any similar experiences, either. Then again, I don't spend time on my appearance except to make sure I don't look gross or out of place or something.