• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Careers For INFPs - What INFPs were borne to do

Rim

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many of us have a problem with figuring out what to do in life. We do a little bit of everything, we love to explore, we have a unique perspective of the world and our own life experience. INFP is a lot of things but shallow is not one of them.

We suck at one thing bad...and that is following through. Why!? The answer is simple:

a) We get discouraged for various reasons, most often other people's opinions drag us down.
b) Sticking to something we already figured out is boring as hell.

So the question is: "What should I do if I love experiencing and have all these opinions, feelings and perspectives inside of myself?"

The answer:
You are meant to manifest all that through creativity and share it with the rest of the world.

It is that simple. That is what INFPs are born to do. To experience and then express that point of view in some way that touches other people.

This can be any form of expression from art to activism...writing, music, psychology and so on.

To get good at something one must be ready to invest more then 10000 hours. The only thing an INFP needs to invest 10K hours into is his or her method of expressing the inner world.

If you think writing is perfect for you then practice that and invest the 10000 hours while still doing other stuff, experiencing life. This doesn't have to be your job, just some fun fulfilling thing you do. Life is not worth living without it.

:) this is my opinion. Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
To make life to hell for men ! :D

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYh_OU3X8AM"].[/YOUTUBE]

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I very much agree with OP thoughts on this. VERY MUCH! Infact, Ne as an auxillary function seeks to do this. INFP's seem to be here to reflect humanity back to itself, through some creative, artistic perspective that connects with others on a very personal level.

FTR, I consider myself an XNFP. (I need to change my profile info, someday, when not lazy.) I notice that in myself I feel very, very high when I can take something, especially something random and seemingly unimportant, and spin it in a way that gives it a whole new meaning. In a way that helps other people see the meaning. Something they didn't see before because their perspective was different. In a nutshell, I like to reveal (not create- its already there) meaning behind something, but my real skill or talent is the ability to see the meaning or magnificence in the first place (fi), consider all the ways it can be uniquely transformed and connected in the external world (ne), decide which of these ways is historically well received (si), and then make it happen (te).

I've noticed (and this could just be my experience) that INFP's typically enjoy taking something already in existance and re-creating it with meaning instead of creating from scratch.

Artistic pursuits I've tried -
Comic strips (ideas from external events that i twist and change to be satirical and funny)
Videos I've put together with certain pictures and music to change object into something meaningful.
Photography (especially 'majic hour" when the lighting entirely transforms something)
I LOVE new versions of music. Acoustic, remixed, etc.. Lately I've been into orchestra and string versions of classic rock.
Buying old furniture from discount thrift stores (for $5 bucks) and sanding, painting, or decorating it to look like something out of Soho or Pier 1 (for $300.00!) =)

However,
I wan't to add that I am not convinced ALL INFP's are the same.

Good info on INFP careers:

"Those of the INFP personality type, similar to their INTP counterparts, sometimes encounter difficulty discovering long-term satisfaction in their careers, majors, and jobs. INFP college students may experience similar difficulties in identifying a major which fits their skills, interests, and abilities.
One factor in the INFP’s difficulty identifying a suitable career path is the ebb and flow of their interests. Like INTPs, they may quickly grow restless and impatient when performing the same job or studying the same subject for a sustained period of time. This may be less common among INFJs and INTJs, who tend to do better with follow-through and project completion.

On the Strong / Holland inventory, INFPs often exhibit “Artistic” and “Social” interests. Those interested in the “arts” may be drawn to music, theater / drama, visual arts, healing arts, graphic design, interior design, and the like. Others may opt to study creative writing, poetry, or literature, perhaps even at the graduate level. If combined with “Realistic” interests, those of the INFP personality type may choose to study landscape or traditional architecture, archeology, sculpting, software design, or environmental science.

INFPs possessing “Social” interests will often gravitate toward healthcare / medical professions, counseling, ministry, psychology, journalism, or potentially teaching. Since they tend to be more perceptive than directive, INFPs typically do better in one-to-one interaction than teaching large groups. If they do opt to teach, they will usually enjoy the role of facilitator rather than lecturer, believing in the value of organic and experiential learning.

Those possessing both “Social” and “Realistic” interests, may choose to study nursing, physical or occupational therapy, or holistic health careers such as massage, yoga instruction, acupuncture, chiropractic, etc. INFPs make the best “healers” of all types, using their extraordinary perceptiveness, intuition, and feeling to improve the health and well-being of others.

INFPs with a mild feeling preference may also select “Investigative” jobs and careers. They may enjoy majors and occupations in the social sciences, such as psychology, sociology, and anthropology, as well as health or biological sciences. Investigative INFPs may also display interests in journalism, non-fiction writing, and other careers in research or scholarship. Many of the top scholars in the humanities are likely of this personality type.

Though less common, some INFPs may exhibit “Enterprising” interests. If endowed with sufficient extraversion, attention to detail, and the ability to follow-through, these types can do quite well with entrepreneurial endeavors. Entrepreneurship grants them the autonomy and freedom they desperately desire, unfettered by the strictures of organizational life. For INFPs who do opt to start their own business, many will select the non-profit route. Though typically not as lucrative, nonprofit careers allow them to work toward something that accords with their values and allows them to make a difference.

The following lists exemplify the types of jobs, vocations, occupations, majors, or careers that may be well-suited for the Myers Briggs INFP personality type:

Realistic:

Computer science, software design, programming, systems analyst
Landscape architecture
Architect
Engineer (although often preferred by judging types)
Archeology, archeologist
Veterinarian
Medical assistant, laboratory technician
Forestry, parks, recreation; park ranger
Environmental scientist, geology
Investigative:

Biology, neuroscience
Researcher, research assistant, scholar
Social sciences (sociology, psychology, anthropology, political science, geography, history)
Librarian, library sciences
Investigative journalist, reporter, editor
Physician, doctor of medicine, psychiatry, pathology, internal medicine, ophthalmology
Philosopher, theology, theologian, linguist
Critic, art, film
Humanities, philosophy, critical theory
Public health, health sciences
Physician, doctor: neurology, psychiatry, internal medicine, etc.
Artistic:

Dance
Actor
Musician
Interior design
Graphic / website design
Creative media producer
Painter, sculptor
Photography, photographer
Poet, creative writer, playwright, dramatist, screen writer
Social:

College professor
Life coach
Translator
Physical, occupational, respiratory therapist; optometrist
Audiology, optometry
Massage therapist, yoga instructor, acupuncture, osteopathy, homeopathy
Nurse, nurse practitioner
Mediator, diplomat, peace studies
Minister, pastor, rabbi, priest, monk, nun
Psychologist (clinical or counseling), psychiatrist
Counselor, social worker
Dietician, nutritionist
Teacher, English, drama, art, music, foreign language
Human resources
Speech language pathologist
Enterprising:

Entrepreneur, nonprofit
Marketing, advertising
Consultant, educational"

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Thats too much I cant possibly read that all !!!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With questions like these, I imagine what kind of unique role XXXX person would play in a paleolithic society. My guess for INFPs is picking fleas out of other people's hair. So, yeah, health care sounds about right.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
With questions like these, I imagine what kind of unique role XXXX person would play in a paleolithic society. My guess for INFPs is picking fleas out of other people's hair. So, yeah, health care sounds about right.

Ahhh XXX is always good ! Cant be too paleonthologic :D

KDude

I think they were meant to find some obscure place worth planting a bomb in, and then pressing the red button.

Rim

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Ahhh XXX is always good ! Cant be too paleonthologic :D

I think they were meant to find some obscure place worth planting a bomb in, and then pressing the red button.

I'm not your run of the mil INFP and you caught me in a real bad moment. Keep your shit to yourself, this is a serious post. If this were real life you'd be crawling in a ditch bleeding from the head before you uttered even 50% of that crap. I don't tolerate bullshit like this, get that into your thick fucking skulls! NO as an INFP I'm not some God damn pussy who is going to take bullshit like this lying down :\!

<__< you don't fuck around on my thread got that!? I'm done with this. You can all blow it out your asses and yes I will beat the living shit out of the next person who pisses me off. Nothing but fucking trash all of you.

I don't fucking care if I am banned for this.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not your run of the mil INFP and you caught me in a real bad moment. Keep your shit to yourself, this is a serious post. If this were real life you'd be crawling in a ditch bleeding from the head before you uttered even 50% of that crap. I don't tolerate bullshit like this, get that into your thick fucking skulls! NO as an INFP I'm not some God damn pussy who is going to take bullshit like this lying down :\!

<__< you don't fuck around on my thread got that!? I'm done with this. You can all blow it out your asses and yes I will beat the living shit out of the next person who pisses me off. Nothing but fucking trash all of you.

I don't fucking care if I am banned for this.

It's okay man... these aren't the streets of Mexico City, YOU DON'T HAVE TO FIGHT ANYMORE.

If it makes you feel better, I've figured that the ENFP's purpose is to spread genetic diversity either by sluttily impregnating or getting impregnated by members of other tribes.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
^^I love your fight. Don't ever change that. Oh - this is directed at Rim, not that other dumbass.

KDude

lol wtf was that about?

maybe i should rephrase it another way. infps tend see both sides of many issues UNTIL they find that one that unjustly gets overlooked by the world.. and then they explode and get people to choose a side.

that said, this thread is not one of those issues. chill out.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
lol wtf was that about?

maybe i should rephrase it another way. infps tend see both sides of many issues UNTIL they find that one that unjustly gets overlooked by the world.. and then they explode and get people to choose a side.

that said, this thread is not one of those issues. chill out.

People are much more likely to listen if you try harder to make sense.

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
HO LAWD! Read me like a book, Rim. But also what Huxley said as far as career steps go, that's really good. I lean to the artistic side more and a little on the social side. The problem is the steps on getting into that career with a degree like that and finding it in your area or how do you get discovered

Rim

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^I love your fight. Don't ever change that. Oh - this is directed at Rim, not that other dumbass.

Hear that pencil dicks!? Hi5. I swear this forum is full of trolls. Judging by the sheer number of ports the first one has...he can't have much of a life. Maybe I was wrong, people like that are just a waste of energy. *sigh* its my counter phobic 6 side...gah!!!

HO LAWD! Read me like a book, Rim. But also what Huxley said as far as career steps go, that's really good. I lean to the artistic side more and a little on the social side. The problem is the steps on getting into that career with a degree like that and finding it in your area or how do you get discovered

I decided to simply continue with psychology as my career. I'm good at it, but on the side what gives me meaning is writing. I know it may take 10 years or a lifetime to become good at it :) but it is something that gives me joy, because I can express myself through it. This is what I wanted to transmit. What we love to do (express our view) doesn't necessarily need to be our career. There are some gr8 artists out there who have had and have normal jobs to support themselves with. I just love creating and sharing for the joy of it.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, if it helps any. Even if it sounded jokey, I was almost perfectly serious about that paleolithic scenario. I like to reframe questions like the OP in different lights in order to get more insight into the question. Casting your mind back to early human development, IMO, is a perfectly valid approach. Hey, and fleas aren't anything to joke about. Supposedly that's why we're mostly hairless today, flea problems.

As for my life, I'm satisfied with it. I feel sorry for the guy who has 2,680 posts. What a looser.

KDude

People are much more likely to listen if you try harder to make sense.

I was just going for figurative puns and shorthand. It still made sense. If it didn't though, there's nothing stopping me from answering a question.

And next time, ask questions. I don't see why anyone needs to perceive persectution as a rule or something. I never interacted with Rim before.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, if it helps any. Even if it sounded jokey, I was almost perfectly serious about that paleolithic scenario. I like to reframe questions like the OP in different lights in order to get more insight into the question. Casting your mind back to early human development, IMO, is a perfectly valid approach. Hey, and fleas aren't anything to joke about. Supposedly that's why we're mostly hairless today, flea problems.

As for my life, I'm satisfied with it. I feel sorry for the guy who has 2,680 posts. What a looser.

Thank you for making me laugh Qlipy! This is so ENFP it's hilarious! Talking your way out of INFP's wrath ;) For what it's worth, I sensed your intention wasn't bad, perhaps misguided hehe.