• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs - How good are you with your monies?

cranez

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w5
As an ENFJ, I'd have to say I'm really good at saving monies. Lately haven't been good about planning my future. I have no 401k, Roth IRA, stock, or mutual funds to retire on or use in the future. Granted, I'm young. 23 years old.

I'm completely debt free. I have good credit - paid all student loans off, paid 3 new or like-new vehicles off, and always pay bills on time.

I've recently decided to save $10,000 for an emergency savings fun should I be as unfortunate to lose my job. My goal of $10,000 which is around 6 months of my monthly living costs. Am I insane?

How good are you with monies? Do you spend a lot? Are you living paycheck to paycheck? What are your savings methods?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i am TERRIBLE with money. saving money is impossible for me. before i moved to california i wanted 3,000 dollars saved up for rent, furniture, etc but only ended up with less than half of that. and i have negative money right now.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Great at not spending. Could be a lot better at tracking funds. Also debt-free without any current loans.

Am living paycheck to paycheck, but I purchase in bulk from Costco, always loading up on samples.

Probably pay more in streetsweeping bills per year than for anything else ever.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My INFJ mother is...quite impressive, actually. If she wants to save for something, there's no stopping her. She'll eat toothpicks for dinner if she has to.

She keeps really detailed, color-coded binders with specific allotments per months for different categories, and records every last purchase that she makes.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm extremely good with money, in my unbias opinion. :laugh:

I currently have a TSP (a sort of 401k) I contribute toward, which isn't much at all tbh, I just opened it, but it's a start.
I'm opening up a ROTH at the age of 25, and I hope to max it out every year, but we'll see.
I'm debt free minus the last two payments on my car that I'll complete in January, 2 years ahead of schedule.
I put 10% of every civilian paycheck I make towards a smartypig savings account for emergency situations.
I've budgeted out the plans for my first home (a transitional place while I build my custom one.. I don't want to be too in debt, so I'm paying for both out-right), and I'm going to own the land that the house is on.
I'm very much like MG's mom, if there is an event I want to go to I will do everything to save up for it. (Hey neighbor, I see your lawn needs mowing there :D )

I also play as hard as I work.. I'm very forgiving if I decide to use money on this or that, as long as the big things are taken care of first.

The main things that have worked for me is having the smartypig savings account.. it's so much easier to forget about having that money there. (btw.. I HIGHLY recommend that emergency fund. It bailed me out SO well when I was living on my own and my car got stolen and wrecked.) Also, the 'envelope' system worked very well for me. Budgeting everything out into envelopes, and just taking the money from each one out for particular things.

What I'm not good at is tracking money and receipts on paper.. I do it all in my head, and lord forbid I need to bring up some sort of written account. :doh: I know vaguely how much I have for what at any given time, but writing it down makes it seem all off and wonky, so I stopped bothering.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don't know if I'm good or not. I used to think I was good, but now I don't. I'm good at paying the bills, but I'm really not good at controlling spending - especially eating out. When I'm too tired to cook, it's too easy to order out.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Save, save, save, save, BIG SPENDAH!

... Save, save, save, save :/

edit: I spent my 1k post on THIS? Ugh freaking memory.

I'm good at not overspending and paying my bills on time but not so good overall in the sense that I haven't given any thought to planning for the future. I don't have a credit card either and I never have, so no credit history at all ... that's something else I should probably be thinking about but I don't really feel like dealing with it right now.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I only spend money on groceries & necessities & bills but I'm bad at keeping up with bills. Sometimes my bills grow larger, since I forget to pay them. &_&

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
I am better with money than I used to be, but not great. I need to control my spending on useless stuff and eating out.

Matt_s

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Not nearly good enough to use the term monies.

N

NPcomplete

Always been pretty good with that. I am too indecisive and fail at impulse-buying. Also, I always feel the need to research the hell out of the product as well as make a pro-con list..

As a result of all this, I spend money mainly on groceries, necessities and bills.

Adasta

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am quite good.

I never bought into this "INFPs may forget to pay their bills" nonsense. I ensure my bills are debited out of my account on a day where I know money will be in there. It may mean that I can't go food shopping because I forgot the bill was coming out that day, but the bill is always paid. This is a rare occurrence anyway and it usually just means I have to push back something else (shopping, going out, etc.). I am good at budgeting and have been able to stick to my current budget quite well.

I am also excellent at paying people back. My rent/bill money is always on time (if I am in work!).

I think the INFP problem is that you work might be intermittent, which means you might be so busy being preoccupied with that that you forget the bills.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was HORRIFIC with money for the first 10 YEARS of making it. So impulsive, the last thing you'd ever catch me doing is balancing my dam checkbook. I seemed to be "money optimistic" if you will.. believing that I could just do whatever I wanted when I wanted, and deal with the problems later. I had such a bloated sense of things working out (and guess what, they always did.. but usually for the worse) and it wasn't until I got hit on the head many, many times with the cold hard reality that I started to shape up. I was also able to get really good jobs from a young age, and made more money than most of my friends and some of my family. It didn't matter if I brough in 500 or 5k for the month, I'd squander it on partying, shopping, experiences, etc. Total lack of self discipline. In my late twenties I started to go through a change, because I stared realizing how much I don't really need or value material items. Like I don't really care if I have a big house, nice ride, and lots of fancy furniture. I DO care that I have enough funds to experience what I want, vacation a bit, and collect music and artistic works. Paintings, books, music, and technological stuff (life computers, iphones, video cameras) etc. But alot of the technology is just to stay connected and capture experiences or make artistic stuff with it. TO be fair, I came from a family that did not spend much time directing or advising me about money, and everything I do know now comes from working for finance companies and self research. Thats another thing, I am great at advising others how to manage their money, and I FULLY KNOW how to manage my own money, its always a question of "do i want to?" Impractical priority sysrtem in place. Anyway, now I'm older I've finally come to understand that If i don't make a car payment, i don't have a car. Setting up automatic bill pay for virually everything I am obligated to has helped me greatly. THis way the funds are taken before I can decide that I feel like spending that cash on a trip to cancun instead of the rent ;D And yes, its truly sad that it even has to come to this! But you gotta go for what works for you.

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
Always been pretty good with that. I am too indecisive and fail at impulse-buying. Also, I always feel the need to research the hell out of the product as well as make a pro-con list..

As a result of all this, I spend money mainly on groceries, necessities and bills.

I totally do that. YouTube, forums, company website...:mellow:

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think I'm pretty good with money :)

My INFP, on the other hand, is kinda hopeless >_<

So, in the future I'll handle all our finances :D

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Depends, I worked for my family businesses for free so my concept of making money are different. And my studies went on the shelf for health reasons, admin accounting, business systems and human resources, civil structural engineering. For the last few year I ended up in various retail stores in the biggest stores part time and was expected to become management material. Seems I've been happy to under perform and my passion was missing without a desire to become more financially supported. This may change now that I have found my passion. Do I have savings, assets and much of a super, nope. These are material illusions in some ways perpetuating the belief in security that should this change creates a devastation of magnitudes by the proportion of savings and ability to bounce back. While my family and friends earn big incomes and have property, anywhere from 50k to 100K to 1million per annum in some instances...I make less than 25k. Am I concerned, I used to be, but then I saw my families mirrors, grandpa lost 1million while my father has 1million in assets and is the greediest person you are ever likely to meet too, no holidays or luxuries of any kind. :shrug:

I am in the process of reinventing myself so that now that I am aware of both extremes I will be stronger in creating my life without money controlling my responses and people controlling my responses. :)

This way of perceiving sounds strange.

N

NPcomplete

I totally do that. YouTube, forums, company website...:mellow:

Company website, rival company websites, forums, newspapers, amazon reviews, CNet, magazines devoted to the topic.. :ninja: I'm trying to tone that down a bit now though. :p

I don't like youtube reviews, probably because you have to watch the whole thing, listen to someone drivel on and on (or worse, squeel :dry:) and get only one opinion at the end. It takes time, specially when I could instead go on a website, quickly read different opinions and move on. Efficiency. :laugh:

My mom (ENFJ) is also good with money. My dad (INTP) sometimes buys things impulsively and other times, sneakily gets me to research things for him.